The official Aaron Donald holdout thread - #Questfor100

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

BatteringRambo

Inked Gym Rat Stoner
Name
J.Fo
Hope you ROD Bros that purchased an AD99 jersey in the past or recent still get your wearing worth.

This just fuckin sucks on all levels!

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
This is an obvious strawman.

Another strawman. This discussion might go somewhere if you decided to address my points.

Calling someone else's posts a "strawman" is not addressing his points either.

Being an NFL player is a highly dangerous job when it comes to potential brain damage, suicides, and physical damage but so are many other occupations that pay a lot less. See below...

One source, the St. Petersburg Times claims "While U.S. life expectancy is 77.6 years, recent studies suggest the average for NFL players is 55, 52 for linemen."

Another source says the opposite, the New York Times claims "A government study found a lower death rate among former NFL players than among men in the general population. Former players also had a lower rate of cancer-related deaths. And the rate of deaths from heart disease was lower, too."

One more, the National Institute for Occupational Health and Safety Study (NIOSH) claims "We found the players in our study had a much lower rate of death overall compared to men in the general population. This means that, on average, NFL players (77.5-year life expectancy) are actually living longer than men in the general population (74.7 years)."

Those last two sources are both linked from OperationsNFL.com so take that for what it's worth.

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/01/04/the-10-most-dangerous-jobs-for-men.html

Here are the most dangerous jobs for men, according to government data.

10. Supervisors of landscaping, lawn service and grounds-keeping workers

The fatal injury rate for supervisors in the landscaping industry was just over 18 per 100,000.

9. Electrical power-line installer and repairer

The fatal injury rate for power-line workers was approximately 21 per 100,000.

8. Farmers, ranchers and agricultural managers

The fatal injury rate for farmers and ranchers was approximately 22 per 100,000.

7. Truck drivers

Their fatal injury rate was approximately 24 per 100,000.

6. Structural iron and steel workers

Their fatal injury rate was approximately 30 per 100,000.

5. Refuse and recyclable material collectors

Their fatal injury rate was approximately 39 per 100,000.

4. Roofers

Their fatal injury rate was just under 40 per 100,000.

3. Aircraft pilots and flight engineers

Their fatal injury rate was slightly more than 40 per 100,000.

2. Fishers and fishing workers

Their fatal injury rate was about 55 per 100,000.

1. Logging workers

Their fatal injury rate was slightly more than 132 per 100,000 people, making logging by far the most dangerous industry in the U.S.

Relwolf91

Starter
Name
Sean
Does anyone know how Chancellors holdout went? He held out for two games and then signed. I wonder if Seahawks fans were frustrated like we are.
Notice how the holdout ended and he was signed after the Seahawks lost to the rams haha

Last edited:

EasyE

Starter
Another strawman. This discussion might go somewhere if you decided to address my points.

The argument that they get paid because there are few people that can do the job is the correct answer. I dont think the injury risk is much of a factor, or should be.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Calling someone else's posts a "strawman" is not addressing his points either.

I'm happy to have a discussion, but I'm not going to address points that are clearly going off on a tangent. My post stated:
Considering all the news about CTE, Donald is sacrificing a lot for that money. He should try to extract every penny. But he also should get his ass on the field.
His response was:
I would make the argument the average American is at more of a health risk driving to work everyday...

It was close enough on point that I poked a little fun at him with my response. However, at no point was the fatality rate relevant to the discussion. Further, at no point did I make the claim that football is the most dangerous occupation. That was where his next two points went, and that was why I responded that they were strawmen.

I'm not going to debate over strawman arguments. It's a waste of my time and his.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The argument that they get paid because there are few people that can do the job is the correct answer. I dont think the injury risk is much of a factor, or should be.

That explains why they get paid so much, but it doesn't explain what Donald's motivations might be. With more and more studies into concussions and the effects on the brain, it's easy to empathize with a guy like Donald who might be weighing money vs. a healthy brain. That was my sole point. Seeing the results from these studies, Donald is potentially making a huge sacrifice for those dollars.

I certainly wouldn't begrudge police officer for wanting to make more money for putting his life on the line.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
giphy.gif

Old Rock

Rookie
Name
Rock
And I thought the gladiators had it bad in Rome. Time for Marlon entro, The Horror, the horror.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
All NFL players know the risks. They all know that on any snap they could end up paralyzed from the neck down. They all know who Daryll Stingly is. But they do it anyway, either for the money or the love of the game or whatever. Point is, it's not like they don't know the risk of dying early, brain damage or permanent disablility from playing football. They all know full well it could happen to them and they play anyway, knowing its a gamble. Every one of them is well paid for playing. Their benefits are better than almost every other trade.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Just what I was looking for in this thread another reason to feel sorry for NFL players. Nah I had a long retort written out but it's not worth it.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Just what I was looking for in this thread another reason to feel sorry for NFL players. Nah I had a long retort written out but it's not worth it.

You don't have to feel sorry for anyone. NFL players make their choices. It would just be nice if people recognized the stakes here.

RamsSince1969

Ram It, Do You Know How To Ram It, Ram It
Rams On Demand Sponsor
That look you give AD while waiting for him to sign.
AD.jpg

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Why do i keep clicking on this thread? Why? I want ad news, not life philosophy.

Ad, ad, where art thou ad?

Last edited:

Rainram

Starter
You don't have to feel sorry for anyone. NFL players make their choices. It would just be nice if people recognized the stakes here.

I think most people do recognize the stakes (even if they don't formulate or articulate their points on par with a Esq. or JD). They recognize all of the points you have outlined (and others that are on the side of AD). They recognize the owners are Billionaires. They recognize the injury risks to players. They recognize the whole supply/demand/market value/etc.

I definitely think those points are understood.

And with that understanding, most people probably still disagree with AD. Financially, and as a matter of principle.

But everyone is certainly entitled to their own opinions. :cheers: