The official Aaron Donald holdout thread - #Questfor100

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Yes, I'm sure we are.
I do want them to be looking at the opponent each week and seeing who they can attack on the other hand I want them to do some things so well it doesn't matter who they are playing. Been WAY too long since they have been able to do that.
Yeah, me too. Unfortunately, that's gonna take a few years of doing the same thing successfully. If this Organization would just adopt a philosophy and stick to it - and then hire coaches who want to strengthen that philosophy, then maybe we'll get there.

EasyE

Starter
Any chance AD really does not care if he is a Ram?...he is going for broke, if he does not get it, worst thing is he gets traded to a team with a chance and a real stadium and first class amenities?

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
Any chance AD really does not care if he is a Ram?...he is going for broke, if he does not get it, worst thing is he gets traded team with a chance and a real stadium and first class amenities?

That's not the worst way this could end for him at all. The Rams could clam up - pull all offers off the table - make him pay all fines associated with holding out this year and next year (if he does) and he can collect rookie contract checks for the games he plays for two years followed by two years of the tag - risking injury all four years before he gets his 80 mill guaranteed or whatever it is by then. If he survives 4 more years in horns, then he hits free agency.

EasyE

Starter
That's not the worst way this could end for him at all. The Rams could clam up - pull all offers off the table - make him pay all fines associated with holding out this year and next year (if he does) and he can collect rookie contract checks for the games he plays for two years followed by two years of the tag - risking injury all four years before he gets his 80 mill guaranteed or whatever it is by then. If he survives 4 more years in horns, then he hits free agency.

Realistically , how would that look to potential free agents ...would the Rams really do that?

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
Realistically , how would that look to potential free agents ...would the Rams really do that?

It might not be the best look if the Rams hadn't been trying to ink him long term until now. What we hear is that substantial offers have been made.

This is the risk AD runs if he continues to holdout - it's just business on all sides. It's not like it's unfair.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River

They are trying not to, ... reports are the Rams have made substantial offers which have been refused. The rams did Austin better than deserved and have in the past re-negotiated with players prior to their contracts coming up for renewal, so I don't see any future hit with free agent players who are getting prepared to sign lucrative contracts of their own. Donald is one of those rare cases, last time I recall it happening to the Rams was with Orlando Pace, and the team finally got that squared away.

EasyE

Starter
It might not be the best look if the Rams hadn't been trying to ink him long term until now. What we hear is that substantial offers have been made.

This is the risk AD runs if he continues to holdout - it's just business on all sides. It's not like it's unfair.

Heck, we don't even know if he has asked to be traded...surely if we were shopping him there would be leaks...surely from the White House , lol.....I just wonder if maybe he doesn't want to be here...saw Janoris leave for greener grass, so to speak.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
Heck, we don't even know if he has asked to be traded...surely if we were shopping him there would be leaks...surely from the White House , lol.....I just wonder if maybe he doesn't want to be here...saw Janoris leave for greener grass, so to speak.

I think it's all money and nothing but.

raised_fisT

Hall of Fame
maybe he wants to see if the offense is going to be halfway decent? He's probably sick of the 3 and outs and being on the field 80% of the game. It's no excuse, but could be a reason

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
maybe he wants to see if the offense is going to be halfway decent? He's probably sick of the 3 and outs and being on the field 80% of the game. It's no excuse, but could be a reason

Roger Saffold is keeping his mouth shut & must be happy he got through training camp without Aaron Donald.

This maybe was the best thing for The Rams. Goff could actually step up in the pocket to build a little confidence.

My thoughts are it is close to happening. Is he in LA area ? The Rams are off today.

Last edited:

UKram

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I get you, and people get furious, too, when a player is seemingly overpaid. Yet when a guy like Donald is the best defensive player in the league making a little over a million a year, that level of disgust isn't there.

Aren't the Rams just as responsible for this situation with AD as he & his agent are? They overpaid Tavon when they had two years of control left with him. They overpaid Mark Barron, too. Yet our best defensive player holds out (like some of the previous Rams greats have) and certain fans take it personally? "You're dead to me AD." Wow.
Because he signed a contract ... the Rams have,if reports are to be believed have made a "substantial offer" to make him "the highest paid defensive player in the NFL"

So if the above is true and I don't see why it wouldn't be ... the only hold up can be in Donald's camp . If it wasn't true I'm sure Donald's agent would have shot those reports down

I want AD as a ram for life ... but there's comes a point we have to ask .. does AD want to a ram for life ?

Does he think he won't produce in. 3-4 .. does he not like mcvay or wade ? ... does he think we won't make a Super Bowl .. does he hate LA ? does he hate the fact that fish is gone?

And if the abouce is true I'd shop his ass for a windfall of draft picks (bills and Browns ) or honestly if tie him down for the next four years and let him hit FA at the ripe old age of 30

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
Because he signed a contract ... the Rams have,if reports are to be believed have made a "substantial offer" to make him "the highest paid defensive player in the NFL"

So if the above is true and I don't see why it wouldn't be ... the only hold up can be in Donald's camp . If it wasn't true I'm sure Donald's agent would have shot those reports down

I want AD as a ram for life ... but there's comes a point we have to ask .. does AD want to a ram for life ?

Does he think he won't produce in. 3-4 .. does he not like mcvay or wade ? ... does he think we won't make a Super Bowl .. does he hate LA ? does he hate the fact that fish is gone?

And if the abouce is true I'd shop his ass for a windfall of draft picks (bills and Browns ) or honestly if tie him down for the next four years and let him hit FA at the ripe old age of 30

I've been thinking more about the switch to 3-4 and whether he's worried that he won't be as effective, the more this hold out goes on the more I feel he's not happy here now, especially if we are to believe that he's had a substantial offer to be the highest paid defensive player in the NFL.

Frogbelly

Rookie
Name
Frogbelly
I don't buy into the trade AD way of thinking. It's a lose situation for the Rams. There is no way they get equal value. The other team knows what they are getting in AD. They won't trade their best player who probably is not as good a player as AD. They will probably trade a good player and some draft picks. We all know that draft picks are a crap shoot. So how can they even come close to equal value. Sit it out

RamsSince1969

Ram It, Do You Know How To Ram It, Ram It
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't buy into the trade AD way of thinking. It's a lose situation for the Rams. There is no way they get equal value. The other team knows what they are getting in AD. They won't trade their best player who probably is not as good a player as AD. They will probably trade a good player and some draft picks. We all know that draft picks are a crap shoot. So how can they even come close to equal value. Sit it out
We would have to get Tom Brady or Rodgers, in my eyes for it to be fair. No way we get anyone close to that. May as well trade him for some fricken magic beans. I agree, sit it out.

fearsomefour

Legend
Yeah, me too. Unfortunately, that's gonna take a few years of doing the same thing successfully. If this Organization would just adopt a philosophy and stick to it - and then hire coaches who want to strengthen that philosophy, then maybe we'll get there.
This was part of the reason in hiring McVay I think. At least this is what I have told myself.
Someone who can steer the ship for 15 + years. How the Steelers do it.
Develop your style of play and you can draft "your" guys. It's why Pittsburgh is so adept at finding, for example, OLB and O lineman. They are looking for guys that fit their systems. They have that dialed in.
The thing of changing direction every two or three years really stifles potential success.

…..

Legend
As far as interesting teams/suiters for a disgruntled player like Aaron Donald.....Imagine an Atlanta Falcons team with AD inside and Vic Beasely outside. I dont know Atlanta money situation but they are trying to follow the Patriot Way out here and this would solidify thier borderline elite status.

I'm not saying Donald is disgruntled, but the fans are sure turning on him slowly but surely as more and more "rumors" surface about the negotiations. Its starting to sound like there are no negotiations anyway. Its beginning to sound like there are only demands. To have a negotiation, both sides should be willing to give alittle. The Rams, if they have indeed offered the highest average salary, are already setting a precendent that must have the 31 other teams alarmed.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
the fans are sure turning on him slowly but surely as more and more "rumors" surface about the negotiations.
Not me

still waiting to hear, Donald signs....somewhere instead of

Donald holdout continues....

wolfdogg

Hall of Fame
Name
wolfdogg
I think most fans are waiting to see the specifics of the contract before assigning blame, however, i think it will be pretty clear who that is with the contract disclosure and Lord help the guilty party.