The official Aaron Donald holdout thread - #Questfor100

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

UKram

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I know, I'm just trying to offer a different perspective on the thing. Everybody is viewing this from the eyes of the fan or the team, but Donald and his representation will have a different point of view. They point of view isn't wrong, it's just different than the rest of ours.
the only issue i have with your take whilst i agree the rams set the precedent ... Tavon Quinn etc never held out ... i heard that the rams said they wont negotiate until Aaron is in camp and good on on them i say

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
Yes! Let's get another 29 pages of the same exact conversation. We can do it guys!

FRO

Legend
the only issue i have with your take whilst i agree the rams set the precedent ... Tavon Quinn etc never held out ... i heard that the rams said they wont negotiate until Aaron is in camp and good on on them i say
No they didn't. It's definitely a power play by Donald. It's an ugly side of the business.

FaulkSF

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
FaulkSF
I am seeing several tweets about Donald for Shelton and a 1st rounder though. :puke:
Wouldn't work. Shelton owed more money than Donald, we'd need to cut 1.45M somewhere to not affect our cap.

I hope Cleveland is offering more than one 1st as well. I'd prefer a 1st and third in 2018 and a 2019 1st round if the Rams cannot make a deal.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
They're not getting those cuts because of supply and demand. Their skill-set is worth more than ours. You're simply more replaceable.

If you want to cut their salaries, stop following professional sports, and convince everyone you know to do the same. Do the same thing with entertainment. Otherwise, you're demanding they get paid less so billionaires can get paid more. Which is pretty petty.
Yeah I get the concept and even though millions of people agree they are greedy and get paid too much the average person wants to be entertained, just like me.

But when it comes to holding out, complaining that you're contract that you agreed to isn't paying you enough millions and how you're window is limited. I have no sympathy.

Donald is a good football player but he isn't the person I thought he was and he isn't the piece of the team that is going to take this team to the playoffs. They could trade him today and it wouldn't hurt my feelings a bit. I want a team that competes not a couple of individuals who are good.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
We might be talking about different things, because - yeah, they do. Each week is a different *game plan* based on what the team you're facing showed you on film from their last game. What good would it do for the Rams to have already game planned for the Cowboys next month?
Well I think it would be a good idea to have a base plan for the teams that are less than a month out on the schedule. Then make adjustments to personnel as things change. For sure would have something special in the planning for division teams.

RamFanWA

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
DavidG
Donald is a good football player but he isn't the person I thought he was and he isn't the piece of the team that is going to take this team to the playoffs.

Got that right... money, fame & whatever often changes a persons motivation, attitude or character......

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
the only thing is this is a team sport...there are only so many pieces of pie to go around due to cap...if u get more, there is less for everyone else to split...its a zero-sum deal...the more you take , the worse your chance for team success...u kinda get to choose ...personal success vs team success..."We Not Me"?.... i don't think so

This!

A few players chewing up the majority of the salary cap and then either underplaying or getting injured is a good way to send a team off into mediocrity for several seasons.

The best players in the league make the most money. If you want them on your team you have to pay the price.

True but that only makes sense if the price allows a team to resign its other good players or sign good talent in free agency. There's only so much of the pie to go around.

wmc540

Pro Bowler
I'm leaning more and more towards trading him. I'm not sure there is enough bang for the buck in paying a DT $20 mil a year.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Wow....came in here hoping for good news...ahhh well

On a point about money...The Rams are offering PSL seating, from 170K to 200k for decent seats....seriously...anyone know how this works? And then you have to buy tix???? So, if you purchased 4 PSL's, you could spend 800k....$800,000 for 4 seats...really? And still don't have tickets....what world is this?
For example. Let's take the seats I currently have. Visitors sideline, on about the 15 yard line, row 20. These tickets are $150/game. This same area will jump anywhere from $375 - $450/ticket plus a PSL that will be in the range of $30,000 - $60,000!!!!! Are you kidding me? Who's gonna pay that except for the super rich? It's completely insane. If I were to buy and keep these tickets for 10 years, the ticket price + PSL would still average out to be $675/game at the cheapest, and $1050/game at the most expensive end of the spectrum for these seats!

To get a picture of how insane these prices are, at Levi's stadium, where the ***** play, that was opened in 2014, my sets would be $150/game with a $6,000 PSL cost, or $210/game for 10 years.

For 2nd tier corner seats the price ranges are $125 - $175 per ticket and $5,000 - $8,000 per PSL. So the 10 year average is $175 - $255 per ticket. While that is not nearly as bad, the seats aren't nearly as good.

50 yard line lower section ranges were $375 - $450 per ticket, $50,000 - $70,000 per PSL!
https://www.clanram.com/forum/the-2...ocked-by-these-potential-inglewood-psl-prices
And yall want Aaron's blood sweat and tears for a discount????

Stan also offered to donate the proceeds from some seating option to the Houston relief effort...Not, just give 'em $100,000...but the proceeds from the seating "raffle"????

Now....I think what Stan has done is awesome for the community of Inglewood...man, they needed it....but the dude is a grade one blood sucker when it comes to profiting off his team...and I could care less...IF THEY ARE WINNING. If AD isn't part of the reason you are gouging fans/corporations/elitist (hell, I don't know ANYONE buying a PSL) to come view your product..then...what the hell are they selling fans? Fans.... that's a joke

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Well I think it would be a good idea to have a base plan for the teams that are less than a month out on the schedule. Then make adjustments to personnel as things change. For sure would have something special in the planning for division teams.
Okay, yeah, we're probably in agreement. I'm sure they have a basic concept of how to attack opposing teams down the road, but I was speaking more of specific gameplans for teams coming up the following week. Those are typically based on what you see from them in terms of tendencies or weaknesses when reviewing film from their last game. McDaniels, for instance, changes the gameplan (and plays) every week based on the next opponent. He did it with the Patriots, Rams, and Broncos. The reason I said they're just now game planning for the Colts is because they're getting a clearer picture of their roster and where their strengths and weaknesses might be. As I said, there's no film on them right now, so this game is a mystery for both teams - as it is usually for all week one opponents.

gabriel18

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I could take him or leave him at this point . I just don't see any way they can pay what he wants at this point so it's time to do what's best for the team . A 20 million dollar a year DT won't win games by himself , but a new offense that averages 10 more points a game can . JMO

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom
With all this talk of money, I'm not sure I should even mention the fact that the NFL was a tax exempt organization until 2015. Ops.....:sneaky:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...s-up-helping-them-out/?utm_term=.57ed25ad1b9d

Business
The NFL is dropping its tax-exempt status. Why that ends up helping them out.

By Drew Harwell and Will Hobson April 28, 2015
Happy Tax Day! Here’s why the NFL and NCAA aren’t sweating it]

The NFL has defended its nonprofit status by pointing out all of its teams are for-profit entities, and the billions they make from TV contracts, tickets sales and merchandise are already taxed. Earlier this month, an NFL spokesman toldThe Washington Post that the league office “has always been a nonprofit because it does not engage in income-producing or profit-making activity.”

But congressional leaders have routinely questioned whether sports leagues deserve the tax break. “For every dollar that goes out in a case like this, that’s a dollar my constituents have to pay in income taxes,” said Maine’s independent Sen. Angus King last year.

The NFL is following a similar play by Major League Baseball, which opted to forgo its tax-exempt status in 2007. The National Basketball Association (NBA) and NASCAR both file as for-profit companies.

Just how much the NFL’s headquarters in New York will need to start forking over in taxes remains unclear. A congressional committee estimated the NFL would need to pay about $10 million in taxes, a drop in the bucket for a league where team revenues add up to nearly $10 billion a year.

But the NFL’s executives will gain cover from criticism over their paychecks. The league’s 2013 tax filing revealed that, besides Goodell’s $44 million, six other executives drew seven-figure salaries and 298 employees made $100,000 or more.

Some lawmakers on Tuesday celebrated the shift. Sen. Maria Cantwell (D-Wash.), who last year called for stripping the NFL of its nonprofit status because of its refusal to force the Washington Redskins to change the club’s controversial name, called it a “victory for tax payers, and a long overdue step.” She added, however, that dropping the tax break “doesn’t mean you can ignore the need for the NFL to abandon a racial slur as a team name.”