The official Aaron Donald holdout thread - #Questfor100

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

wolfdogg

Hall of Fame
Name
wolfdogg
Until we see the specifics I can't really say which side I think is being unreasonable but I'm pretty sure this opt out clause was the agents idea so even though it's on AD to have final say and to report when he wants, I put some of my voodoo doll stabbing on the agent. If he's telling AD to pass on being the highest paid defensive player in history until the rams fold on this clause, then it's alot about him trying to set a precedent for his future clients. The rams should tell him and Donald that no team wants this clause and that he will have the same issue if he is traded, which would also be something teams would use against the rams. They would claim that giving into this opt out hurts their side of the deal and would offer less for AD.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
Of course - we are assuming that the Rams "substantial offer" really is a fair deal. They could be overplaying their leverage a tad. We have kind of assumed AD would be the highest paid defensive player in history but maybe they haven't offered that?

Farr Be It

Hall of Fame
Neither. He's trying to get top dollar for his services no matter what happens.

giphy.gif
....which it seems is exactly what is being offered. I still have hope for a breakthrough, but I am losing patience.

I am not judging Aaron, but I am a bit surprised he went this route. A player hires and fires his agent. He is responsible for the outcome.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Of course - we are assuming that the Rams "substantial offer" really is a fair deal. They could be overplaying their leverage a tad. We have kind of assumed AD would be the highest paid defensive player in history but maybe they haven't offered that?

Then again, ... there is that thing called the salary CAP.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
Then again, ... there is that thing called the salary CAP.

Same cap for every team.

At some point, AD will be the highest paid defensive player in the NFL because he is the best defensive player in the NFL. The Rams should be using their years of control to leverage cap friendly structures but the gtd money has to be there.

HellRam

Starter
If he isn't going to show this week, no reason to expect Donald anytime soon. Unless one side gives and if they havent by now, hard to see that changing.

I'm starting to lean on the side of Donald being traded during/after the season. Getting hard to imagine the Rams and Donald coming to a long term deal at this point.

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
I'd say shift attention to resigning Ogletree and the other priority free agents like Sammy Watkins. Just to spite Donald. None of them are jeopardizing the season. Then go to Donald and say sorry, we can't afford you. Get the jalapeño Doritos for game day, they're the best for watching football.

pmil66

Starter
Name
pmil
Very surprised he has held out as long as he has. Wonder if Wade would have taken the Rams DC job if he had know the best player would still be out.

Zodi

Hall of Fame
You're officially dead to me, AD. We're officially in selfish prick territory.

I'm interested in why you take something like a player holdout in the NFL so personally. Do you feel the same towards a team when they cut a player with years & millions left on a contract?

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Same cap for every team.

At some point, AD will be the highest paid defensive player in the NFL because he is the best defensive player in the NFL. The Rams should be using their years of control to leverage cap friendly structures but the gtd money has to be there.

That may be, but the reality today is we have one of the leagues highest combined player payroll. With so many of our players entering free agency next year, our CAP situation will be much improved. As it is, it appears Donald is trying to force his team into cutting another top paid player to his advantage. jmo.

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
I'm interested in why you take something like a player holdout in the NFL so personally. Do you feel the same towards a team when they cut a player with years & millions left on a contract?

They players are guaranteed portions of the contracts for a reason. Cutting a player early isn't going against the contract.

Donald could easily report to camp and still get a new deal. He's choosing to be a selfish prick about it, during our head coaches first season.

FRO

Legend
I'd say shift attention to resigning Ogletree and the other priority free agents like Sammy Watkins. Just to spite Donald. None of them are jeopardizing the season. Then go to Donald and say sorry, we can't afford you. Get the jalapeño Doritos for game day, they're the best for watching football.
I think this is an underlying problem with the Donald contract extension, do the Rams get deals done with Ogletree and Watkins before getting Donald done? How does that effect things? It's a mess.

MadGoat

Mathematically alive
Same cap for every team.

It may be the same cap, but every team's situation is different, and the Rams just don't have the cap situation to pay Donald anything he asks for.

As far as signing a cap friendly deal, that's a pretty damning demand if a player is asking for a massive deal and isn't looking to give his own team the most flexibility possible. Unless it's a situation where the team is significantly under the cap, the player is basically saying - pay me, I don't give a damn if it means the rest of the team leaves.

wmc540

Pro Bowler

No, because it's usually to help the team win.

wolfdogg

Hall of Fame
Name
wolfdogg
Since they pay Tru and tavon 1 and 3 respectively despite them not quite being the best and 3rd best at their positions, I'm assuming they are not low balling donald. And just because another team has a crazy/desperate contract with a player doesnt mean the rams have to start from that point. What if Aaron is overpaid at 25 mil a year and in 3 years someone is better than him? Should that player automatically get more than 25 mil just cause the rams cant negotiate? Maybe the cap is more of an issue than I thought and that is reason for the "creative" options snead or mcvay mentioned.

It's good that AD can see the negativity via Twitter and rod and I hope he doesn't dismiss it like his agent probably is, don't worry AD, once you do your thing, the fans will love you again, type of BS. Dont believe it Aaron. When you start missing games and it comes out that you passed on that kind of money while your new contract hurts the rams ability to keep other players in the future, alot of us fans will not forgive you and some that do, won't forget. And while still giving you benefit of the doubt at this point, if it is true, then youll go from being one of my favorite players in the league over the past 40 years, to someone I would like the rams to trade.

Last edited: