The official Aaron Donald holdout thread - #Questfor100

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Him sitting out and missing games is the only way he can leverage himself.

Threatening to miss games, to hurt the team, is his only leverage. I never cared for agents that took this angle and the Rams haven't historically been one of those teams you need to threaten like that.

They have a track record of being fair in negotiations.

This just feels so unnecessary.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I sent this tweet yesterday to the Donald, so he should be in for practice today...

" You need to show tomorrow, my man. Fix this contract shyte as the season goes. Don't hang our season out to dry, please."

(If he does come in, I expect gifts of beer...:rockon:

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
I sent this tweet yesterday to the Donald, so he should be in for practice today...

" You need to show tomorrow, my man. Fix this contract shyte as the season goes. Don't hang our season out to dry, please."

(If he does come in, I expect gifts of beer...:rockon:

Damnit, you gave him fan leverage too. You should have said "get your ass to practice, or I'll put my foot up your ass, ps your agent is shit"

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
This morning, I would hope the Rams tell his representatives (and stick to their guns on the point) that in terms of gtd money and years of commitment / he has seen our best offer and that it will not improve as he misses games.

If they improve their offer now, they are inviting this tactic in all future negotiations of this kind.

RamsSince1969

Ram It, Do You Know How To Ram It, Ram It
Rams On Demand Sponsor
When I woke up this morning, I was hoping there would be a celebration thread that he was signed.The world is on shaky ground, missiles being fired, H-bombs being tested, horrible hurricanes, and all I'm looking forward to is the Rams signing AD. Rams football is a nice distraction with all the crazy stuff going on.

FRO

Legend
Sent tweet: Todd France. Stop this nonsense and make a deal. Greed is not a good look. The avg guy makes less than 2.5 million over 65 year life span
How is it not greed by the billionaire owner of the team to not pay arguably the best defensive player in the league more than any other defensive player in the league? Why is all the heat on Donald? The team shares some heat here for letting it get to this place.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
How is it not greed by the billionaire owner of the team to not pay arguably the best defensive player in the league more than any other defensive player in the league? Why is all the heat on Donald? The team shares some heat here for letting it get to this place.

Because of the salary cap

If there were no cap, all of my angst would be headed Stan's way. All of it.

FRO

Legend
I'm going to offer Donald's point of view on things. Last year the Rams extended Tavon Austin with 2 years left on his rookie deal. They paid Austin like a number 1 receiver and he never produced like one. The Rams said they were paying him for what they thought Austin would be as a player, not necessarily what he has done. Donald and his agent see this and take note. The Rams set the precedent of extending guys with 2 years left on their rookie deals. So Donald and his agent contact the Rams letting them know he wants an extension. They paid Austin top receiver money without the production, surely they would pay Donald top defensive player money for being one of if not the best defensive players in the league. None of us have seen numbers so we don't know if the Rams offered a deal to make Donald the richest defensive player in the game or not. The standoff with Donald's camp now is if he folds and reports the Rams know they got him for not only this year, but most likely they can do the same next year and he'll fold and all will be will. So Donald and his camp are playing chicken with the Rams because they don't want to lose leverage and damage credibility.

It all sucks and is due to bad a CBA. You rarely see hold outs in any other sport, mostly because every other sport has guaranteed contracts. The players union should strike until they get that.

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny
Been watching Twatter for any sort of news relating to Donald getting off a plane in LA. So far, nothing.

I am seeing several tweets about Donald for Shelton and a 1st rounder though. :puke:

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
You don't know what the Rams are offering... the little that has been leaked appears that Donald is trying to set a new precedent in terms of money AND getting an option after 3 years.

So seems like this issue falls on their side.

FRO

Legend
Because of the salary cap

If there were no cap, all of my angst would be headed Stan's way. All of it.
I understand all of that and I'm not saying no heat should be shot towards Donald. I just feel that blame goes to both sides here. First how in the world do the Rams have no cap space when they are very little money tied up at QB? I like everyone else hates holdouts. I want to see a great product on the field and holdouts severely hurt that. In my mind the majority of the blame gets placed on the system in place.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
I have no problem with AD holding out to try to maximize his leverage. I have no problem with him seeking as much money as he can get.

I also have no problem with the Rams not being held hostage by him. If they have offered to make him the highest paid defensive player in NFL history two full years before he is set to hit free agency (without tags) then they have done their part. They still need to be cap conscious and the year will still go on even if AD stays home.

If the Rams have low balled, then shame on them - I just doubt that is the case.

tempests

Hall of Fame
I'm going to offer Donald's point of view on things. Last year the Rams extended Tavon Austin with 2 years left on his rookie deal. They paid Austin like a number 1 receiver and he never produced like one. The Rams said they were paying him for what they thought Austin would be as a player, not necessarily what he has done. Donald and his agent see this and take note. The Rams set the precedent of extending guys with 2 years left on their rookie deals. So Donald and his agent contact the Rams letting them know he wants an extension. They paid Austin top receiver money without the production, surely they would pay Donald top defensive player money for being one of if not the best defensive players in the league. None of us have seen numbers so we don't know if the Rams offered a deal to make Donald the richest defensive player in the game or not. The standoff with Donald's camp now is if he folds and reports the Rams know they got him for not only this year, but most likely they can do the same next year and he'll fold and all will be will. So Donald and his camp are playing chicken with the Rams because they don't want to lose leverage and damage credibility.

That's your viewpoint, not his.

FRO

Legend
You don't know what the Rams are offering... the little that has been leaked appears that Donald is trying to set a new precedent in terms of money AND getting an option after 3 years.

So seems like this issue falls on their side.
Yeah we have no clue what's being offered, so it's silly to bash one side or the other. If the Rams aren't going to make Donald the highest defensive player in the game, then they're stupid. If the Rams have that sort of contract on the table and Donald wants a three year out or has some other unreasonable clause in there, then he's stupid. There are way too many unknown variables to bash either side right now.

FRO

Legend
I have no problem with AD holding out to try to maximize his leverage. I have no problem with him seeking as much money as he can get.

I also have no problem with the Rams not being held hostage by him. If they have offered to make him the highest paid defensive player in NFL history two full years before he is set to hit free agency (without tags) then they have done their part. They still need to be cap conscious and the year will still go on even if AD stays home.

If the Rams have low balled, then shame on them - I just doubt that is the case.
I agree with this 100%.

UKram

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
if this was the case ..im sure Donald and his agent (most probably his agent) would have leaked it...we have heard the "substantial" offer and the highest paid defender offer in recent weeks ,,, im gonna say the issue (not blame ) but isssue is coming from Donalds camp at least until i hear different

FRO

Legend
That's your viewpoint, not his.
I know, I'm just trying to offer a different perspective on the thing. Everybody is viewing this from the eyes of the fan or the team, but Donald and his representation will have a different point of view. They point of view isn't wrong, it's just different than the rest of ours.