The official Aaron Donald holdout thread - #Questfor100

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

A.J. Hicks

Hall of Fame
Name
zoomy
What players do you see restructuring? Barron? Quinn? Saffold? Hekker? Brockers? Tavon? Woods and Whitworth? (if they even can)

A resign of Ogletree with money given in bonuses and cap hit pushed off? Same with Sammy?

socalrams90

Starter
I'm so excited about our team and the season to start and I remember about the AD situation and I start to resent him (although I understand his stance).

This needs to get figured out asap in the best interest of both parties.

RedRam

Pro Bowler
"He wants to be here," McVay said of Donald.

BS. If he "wanted" to be here, he would be here. Nobody is forcing him to stay away.

Just for S & Gs, I checked Expedia and they showed I believe 48 different flight options for a Pittsburgh to LA itinerary tomorrow.

The point being is it's very easy to get to LA, from pretty much anywhere...

Don't tell me horse:poop: that he WANTS to be here. I want to be in LA for the game on Sunday. Guess what, I'm going to be there, AD or no AD. And I don't have anywhere near the re$ource$ of one Aaron Donald.

If he misses the game, I hope the team makes him cut a check for the fines accrued. Then every week after that. Sooner or later, he'll need to start earning some money again.;)

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
No, he won't miss a full year or two, but every game counts for a team that wants to make the playoffs.

His presense isn't going to get the Rams to the playoffs, that's a bit more than this year away.

If there's not, we won't see a deal done this year, and Donald will return when he decides to return.

Bad form and optics on him.

Not that he cares what I think (or anyone else at that point)

:icare:

Think I read right now his fines are up to $1.3 million. Gets expensive sitting out.

The fines will be wiped away provided a deal gets done or he come in after a week out.

What players do you see restructuring? Barron? Quinn? Saffold? Hekker? Brockers? Tavon? Woods and Whitworth? (if they even can)

A resign of Ogletree with money given in bonuses and cap hit pushed off? Same with Sammy?

Quinn needs to be restructured. IMO he's a bubble player because of that contract.

I'm so excited about our team and the season to start and I remember about the AD situation and I start to resent him

Don't resent him, this is how things go sometimes.

If he misses the game, I hope the team makes him cut a check for the fines accrued. Then every week after that. Sooner or later, he'll need to start earning some money again.

Fines aside at some point he is going to miss the game checks LOL.

TSFH Fan

Epic Music Guy

Restructuring Hekker. this year, gets enough cap space for a 30M signing bonus for AD plus a little extra.

IMHO Quinn, Barron, Austin and Woods need to be evaluated after this season to decide whether to keep/cut/trade. After the cut/trade(s), if any, we'll have a better if any restructure is needed to resign FAs.

Edit: Well, yeah, I guess every player on the roster is going to be evaluated after the season to decide whether to keep/cut/trade . . . .

iamme33

Pro Bowler
Name
dan
You're leaving out the 2-3 times they can tag him among the options.

And as @-X- pointed out it's not AD's styel, I don't see him going that route. But if he did it would hurt his cause I think.
if ad is showing up and giving no effort the rams would be crazy to pay him tag money for no effort. that's the old cut off your nose to spite your face thing.

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom
http://www.prosportsdaily.com/Headlines/ExternalArticle?articleId=481206

Rams, Aaron Donald “not close”
Posted by Mike Florio on September 2, 2017, 9:38 AM EDT
457506792-e1504359492594.jpg

Getty Images

The Rams are optimistic that defensive tackle Aaron Donald will return this week. Maybe they shouldn’t be.

Per a league source, the Rams and Donald are negotiating but are “not close” on a deal.

While the Rams have been mum about the reasons for Donald’s absence, the reality is that Donald has decided to take a stand against the current rookie compensation system. And good for him for doing it.

During the last labor negotiations, the NFL insisted on an overhaul to the rookie compensation in order to ensure that draft busts don’t bogart millions from the available pot of player money. The problem, however, is that players who are the opposite of busts have to wait too long to get the financial reward that they no longer get when they are drafted.

Donald is scheduled to make $17 million over the first five years of his career. At that point, the Rams could apply the franchise two times, keeping him away from free agency for seven years — and putting him on the open market when he’s on the brink of 30.

Yes, he’s under contract. But it’s not as if the contract was freely negotiated. He was stuck with the deal that his draft spot dictated, and he has devices available under the labor deal for exerting leverage in an effort to get the Rams to forget about the $1.8 million he’s due to make this year, the $6.8 million he’s due to make next year, and the two tags the Rams could apply.

It won’t be easy; typically, only those players who get to the open market get market-changing money. But if Donald is willing to dig in and skip games, he possibly will get the Rams to value him based upon his skills and abilities and not based upon the dollars and cents otherwise spelled out in the remaining years of his contract and future possible use of the franchise tag.

Ram65

Legend
At the end of the day, Donald is hurting the team, but he's not hurting himself. The Rams are absolutely sweating not having Donald. They want to win. He's the best player on the team. Maybe Donald can't win the game of chicken; maybe he can win it. At the end of the day, he's not losing anything by doing what he's doing.

Unless they don't reach an agreement this year. Then he losses a full year toward free agency and the money he would have made under his current contract.

No, he won't miss a full year or two, but every game counts for a team that wants to make the playoffs. In law, it's accepted that there's generally going to be a point where what the two sides desire overlaps. That's why very few cases go to trial. Trial is risky. The closer you get to trial, the more it pushes people towards that point where you have overlap. The cases that go to trial are the cases where the sides are so far apart that there isn't overlap. That isn't true 100% of the time, but it's just a general principle.

We're getting to that point with the Rams and Donald. If there's overlap, we'll see him sign soon. If there's not, we won't see a deal done this year, and Donald will return when he decides to return.

Interesting principle of overlap. Seems like there not close to enough overlap to make a deal. Speculation: If Donald and his agent are swinging for the fences for some kind of future financial protection with an out clause or yearly adjusted payments that could stop the Rams from making a deal. As much as the Rams want Donald to play they could hold out in this game of chicken much longer than Donald and agent expected. The longer this goes on the more pressure Donald will feel unless the Rams are winning and showing a possible playoff run. I do think Donald has a lot to lose probably more than the Rams with his holdout.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
A deal will happen. I still believe that.

But just for shits and grins while we are waiting, imagine the package you would demand from Cleveland in a trade. Could they get it done with just draft picks or would we need Zeitler or some other players in the deal?

For reference, in the 2018 draft they have

First round: (2) Own pick, Texans' pick via 2017 draft-day trade.

Second round: (3) Own pick, Eagles' pick via 2016 draft-day trade, Texans' pick via Brock Osweiler trade.

Third round: (1) Own pick.

Fourth round: (2) Own pick, Panthers' pick via Andy Lee trade.

Fifth round: (2) Own pick, Chiefs' pick (conditional) via Cam Erving trade.

Sixth round: (2) Own pick, Steelers' pick via Justin Gilbert trade.

Seventh round: (1) Own pick.

ArkyRamsFan

Pro Bowler
http://www.prosportsdaily.com/Headlines/ExternalArticle?articleId=481206

Rams, Aaron Donald “not close”
Posted by Mike Florio on September 2, 2017, 9:38 AM EDT
457506792-e1504359492594.jpg

Getty Images

The Rams are optimistic that defensive tackle Aaron Donald will return this week. Maybe they shouldn’t be.

Per a league source, the Rams and Donald are negotiating but are “not close” on a deal.

While the Rams have been mum about the reasons for Donald’s absence, the reality is that Donald has decided to take a stand against the current rookie compensation system. And good for him for doing it.

During the last labor negotiations, the NFL insisted on an overhaul to the rookie compensation in order to ensure that draft busts don’t bogart millions from the available pot of player money. The problem, however, is that players who are the opposite of busts have to wait too long to get the financial reward that they no longer get when they are drafted.

Donald is scheduled to make $17 million over the first five years of his career. At that point, the Rams could apply the franchise two times, keeping him away from free agency for seven years — and putting him on the open market when he’s on the brink of 30.

Yes, he’s under contract. But it’s not as if the contract was freely negotiated. He was stuck with the deal that his draft spot dictated, and he has devices available under the labor deal for exerting leverage in an effort to get the Rams to forget about the $1.8 million he’s due to make this year, the $6.8 million he’s due to make next year, and the two tags the Rams could apply.

It won’t be easy; typically, only those players who get to the open market get market-changing money. But if Donald is willing to dig in and skip games, he possibly will get the Rams to value him based upon his skills and abilities and not based upon the dollars and cents otherwise spelled out in the remaining years of his contract and future possible use of the franchise tag.

Drop dead, Florio. The players union negotiated these provisions in good faith and it is now part of the CBA. If they didn't like it they could have refused to sign off on it.
The extra money that was not paid to draft busts and rookies has gone to veteran, established players because THAT is what the NFL players wanted.
Obviously not everyone is not going to be completely happy but in this case it is the rookies who received less instead of the veterans as it was for many years prior.
I'm tired of the Florios of the world whose word and agreements apparently mean nothing. No doubt this clown would whine like a little girl should his employer decide to mess with his paycheck and not honor its agreement with him.

~ArkyRamsFan~

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Unless they don't reach an agreement this year. Then he losses a full year toward free agency and the money he would have made under his current contract.

The money is dwarfed by his next deal and the year towards FA isn't a loss.

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
Any idea when practice starts tomorrow? It's gonna be Donald watch.

96GS#007

Pro Bowler
if ad is showing up and giving no effort the rams would be crazy to pay him tag money for no effort. that's the old cut off your nose to spite your face thing.

Of course if he's giving no effort then other teams are not going to want to break the bank. He's hurting no one but himself. If I'm the Rams, he can sit on his rear for the next 3 years. It's not costing the Rams a dime and he ends up being the poster child for how teams can handle BS like this.

AD, his agent, and other players may not like the CBA....but that's what the NFLPA signed up to. We all have commitments we don't like, but we honor them. I'll gladly trade him my salary for the $17M he'll make over the course of his rookie deal. Hell, I'll even take what's left after taxes and agent fees....and still comfortably retire early.

I get the whole "but players with similar or lessor talent are making more" argument. Guess what AD...welcome to the real world. There's not a person out there who hasn't worked with someone that makes more money than they do even if that person is less productive / seemingly less deserving.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Whew, it's all over! I was feeling kinda helpless about AD's holdout and all so I tweeted the dude to let him know what's-what. I did it, so no worries, he'll be at training tomorrow....

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
That poor guy only $17 million in 5 years of playing football

That's the problem with the whole league too much money to play a game, just like the rest of the entertainment world they think they are worth a lot more than they are. Fucking ridiculous

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
God I hope that's not true.
Why? Teams take a week to plan for every opponent throughout the year.
And let's be honest. How do you gameplan for a team you haven't seen play yet?

HitStick

Van Jefferson’s #1 fan
That poor guy only $17 million in 5 years of playing football

That's the problem with the whole league too much money to play a game, just like the rest of the entertainment world they think they are worth a lot more than they are. freaking ridiculous

When you consider how much money those players make for their organizations, is it really? How many people have paid for a shirt with 99 and the name Donald sewn on? How many butts go into seats to watch a future hall of gamer play? That's just talking sales, factor in impact during games and is it really too much? The NFL is a multi billion dollar company. They can pay the few player that make them money. Sure, when you compare it to the salary you or I make it seems like a lot, but nobody is watching me file paperwork or give presentations on TV.