The official Aaron Donald holdout thread - #Questfor100

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

JIMERAMS

Pro Bowler
Name
Bill
Frankly, I think it's odd for people to be on the side of the billionaires raking in the profits on the backs of a bunch of young men willing to sacrifice their long-term physical (and likely mental) health to become rich but nowhere near as rich as the owners.

The players are gladiators competing for our entertainment. They deserve to get paid what they're worth. They're the ones putting everything on the line.

Well like the real world says if you don't like the conditions your in go find another job. Without the owners there is no league and blaming owners and fans for sacrificing their health is their own doing no one is forcing them to do it.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
Well like the real world says if you don't like the conditions your in go find another job. Without the owners there is no league and blaming owners and fans for sacrificing their health is their own doing no one is forcing them to do it.

There is nothing special these owners bring to the table. If they all died today - the league would go on fine / they are all completely replaceable in every way. Even the stadiums (which they very rarely build on their own) are able to be rented out in alternative venues.

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
And if he gets hurt half way through his extension and can't play the team still owes him money is that him earning his money?
That's the point of gauranteed money, no? You pay him what he's worth now and of things don't work out then you cut bait while only paying him what he's gauranteed. And that's the gripe for the players. Owners can cut bait at any time and save money but players have to play out contracts and shouldn't be allowed to maximize their investment? It works the same way on both sides.

Last edited:

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

They're not blaming the fans or owners. They're doing their jobs and wanting to be compensated appropriately for it. It's the fans who whine about the players wanting more money. It would be nice if people got a little perspective. These guys are fucking up their physical and mental health for YOUR entertainment.

What price would you put on being able to play with and hold your kids/grandkids in your 40s/50s? What price would you put on being able to remember who and where you are in your 40s/50s? What price would you put on not suffering from depression in your 30s/40s/50s?

These guys are willing to do it for the money. That's their right. I love football. I'm glad they do it. But some of y'all need to look inside yourselves and recognize the sacrifice they are making for your entertainment. They get paid well, but they also are risking everything.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Not on either side honestly. Players and owners both are making themselves rich on our dime. My biggest issue, and yes I know it's his right, is the hold out. IMO get your ass to camp and don't be like the owners and honor the contract you signed. This holdout isn't going to hurt Kroenke he's still going to make his billions. The only people it hurts are him, his teammates and the fans.

That's the leverage he has. If the Rams had wanted to do it the right way, they would have resolved this by now. The Rams were the one who didn't take care of this BEFORE training camp. They've had since March to get a deal done.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
That's the leverage he has. If the Rams had wanted to do it the right way, they would have resolved this by now. The Rams were the one who didn't take care of this BEFORE training camp. They've had since March to get a deal done.

Of course the Rams may have done their part. This may all be according to AD's agent plans. No matter what they offer, hold out until the last moment to see if you can squeeze a bit more and then take the top offer at the last moment before you miss game 1.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Of course the Rams may have done their part. This may all be according to AD's agent plans. No matter what they offer, hold out until the last moment to see if you can squeeze a bit more and then take the top offer at the last moment before you miss game 1.

That's a possibility too. We don't have the facts. I just can't fault Donald for doing the only thing he can. If he's playing right now, the Rams have no reason to pay him. At the end of the day, he's earned a big deal.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Nothing against your post @OldSchool, but my take is that I've NEVER seen a player who under performs give some of their salary back to the team.

That happens every year. The team cuts them. They don't get paid their salary.

Zodi

Hall of Fame
IMO get your ass to camp and don't be like the owners and honor the contract you signed.

Imagine you're several states away from home and buy a lotto ticket. You get home and realize you hit the jackpot. Single winner. Powerball. Even had the Power Play multiplier. We're talking $100 million after taxes. With this knowledge, would you go to your dangerous factory job the next day? What if you were a cop? Truck driver? etc. Hell no you wouldn't. You would find the safest, most reliable way you could make it ten states over to cash that ticket.

I see Donald doing the exact same thing. He's on the cusp of a major payday. He plays a very, very dangerous position. One lineman pushed down into his knee and bam, everything he's worked so hard for his entire life is gone.

I can almost say with certainty that if I were in Donald's position, I would do the exact same thing, in regards to a holdout. None of us know the specifics and can only speculate, but you cannot blame the dude for wanting to take the safest route to securing his and his family's financial future for generations to come.

JIMERAMS

Pro Bowler
Name
Bill
They're not blaming the fans or owners. They're doing their jobs and wanting to be compensated appropriately for it. It's the fans who whine about the players wanting more money. It would be nice if people got a little perspective. These guys are freaking up their physical and mental health for YOUR entertainment.

What price would you put on being able to play with and hold your kids/grandkids in your 40s/50s? What price would you put on being able to remember who and where you are in your 40s/50s? What price would you put on not suffering from depression in your 30s/40s/50s?

These guys are willing to do it for the money. That's their right. I love football. I'm glad they do it. But some of y'all need to look inside yourselves and recognize the sacrifice they are making for your entertainment. They get paid well, but they also are risking everything.

What does that mean? "They are freaking up their physical and mental health for your entertainment"? No they are not they are for the money not me they could care less about me or you. I really don't give a chit what they get payed but it is their choice to play a game you can get freaked up. Don't play the game if you don't want to take that chance. I used to blend high pressure gas and was a hazmat tech I quit because money isn't everything my family is more important than getting killed simple choice IMO.

8to12

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
In all of this is the obvious element that the Rams hold all the cards. So if AD does elect to hold out I am hoping the Rams start the season strong and play well and win a bunch of games, which should help to put this entire thing in perspective. As great as he is, Aaron Donald is a DT. People don't want to hear that but it's the truth and you can eliminate a DT through scheme far easier than you can a QB. Paying him too much is a risk for this organization IMO.

@Merlin... you hit the nail on the head. I also hope that if AD holds out, Rams come out of the first 6 weeks @ 5-1 or 4-2. This will certainly let AD know that he's not as important to the team as he thinks he is. I like AD, but his play does not create points for the team. He doesn't create fumbles or turnovers that directly help the offense score points. I will close with this thought, last year the Rams lost to the worst team in the NFL twice, the 49ers. And, both times AD was on the field and did not make a difference in either game.

8to12

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
That happens every year. The team cuts them. They don't get paid their salary.

I'm talking about the season before they were cut ; if they played bad, they still kept their salary.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
What does that mean? "They are freaking up their physical and mental health for your entertainment"? No they are not they are for the money not me they could care less about me or you. I really don't give a chit what they get payed but it is their choice to play a game you can get freaked up. Don't play the game if you don't want to take that chance. I used to blend high pressure gas and was a hazmat tech I quit because money isn't everything my family is more important than getting killed simple choice IMO.

It's clear exactly what it means. Football is entertainment. It's why we spend the money. It's why they get paid. They're fucking up their bodies and minds for our entertainment. They get paid to do it, but it doesn't change what it is.

You're right. They have the choice to quit, just like you had the choice to quit. For Donald, there's a certain amount of money where it's worth him continuing to play. I would expect people to understand and respect that decision rather than siding with the billionaires who sit on their asses and collect profits.

If one of the people you worked with had demanded more money for the dangerous work you did rather than quitting, would you have said, "To hell with you man, you should appreciate the money they're paying you" and have supported the company you worked for?

Do you think you would have been within your rights to ask for more money to continue being a hazmat tech to make it worth the risk to your life? Would you think it nuts for people to be angry with you for doing that and support the owner of the business?

JIMERAMS

Pro Bowler
Name
Bill
There is nothing special these owners bring to the table. If they all died today - the league would go on fine / they are all completely replaceable in every way. Even the stadiums (which they very rarely build on their own) are able to be rented out in alternative venues.

Haha that's easy to say after they did all the work and put the money up front to get it started. That's like saying every business in the world would be ok if the owner died today. Lol they would have never been started in the first place.sorry that some bernie sanders thinking crap right there.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm talking about the season before they were cut ; if they played bad, they still kept their salary.

The team was happy enough with their performance to keep them on.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Haha that's easy to say after they did all the work and put the money up front to get it started. That's like saying every business in the world would be ok if the owner died today. Lol they would have never been started in the first place.sorry that some hernia sanders thinking crap right there.

How many of the owners involved in starting the NFL are still left? These aren't the guys who took the risks in the beginning. These are rich people who bought into an already established product.(or the kids of the people who took the risk)

JIMERAMS

Pro Bowler
Name
Bill
It's clear exactly what it means. Football is entertainment. It's why we spend the money. It's why they get paid. They're freaking up their bodies and minds for our entertainment. They get paid to do it, but it doesn't change what it is.

You're right. They have the choice to quit, just like you had the choice to quit. For Donald, there's a certain amount of money where it's worth him continuing to play. I would expect people to understand and respect that decision rather than siding with the billionaires who sit on their asses and collect profits.

If one of the people you worked with had demanded more money for the dangerous work you did rather than quitting, would you have said, "To hell with you man, you should appreciate the money they're paying you" and have supported the company you worked for?

Do you think you would have been within your rights to ask for more money to continue being a hazmat tech to make it worth the risk to your life? Would you think it nuts for people to be angry with you for doing that and support the owner of the business?

Guess I don't think the same way as some of you. It's a choice they make we don't make it for them. Pretty simple really. Lazy owners? Whatever I'm not taking their side but they had the money to start this whole thing not the players.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Guess I don't think the same way as some of you. It's a choice they make we don't make it for them. Pretty simple really. Lazy owners? Whatever I'm not taking their side but they had the money to start this whole thing not the players.

It doesn't matter whether it's a choice or not. Everything is a choice. You realize that you're pissed at Donald for refusing to play, right? Isn't that what you just advised him to do if he doesn't like the risks? Well, he doesn't like the risks he's taking for his current pay.