The official Aaron Donald holdout thread - #Questfor100

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

JIMERAMS

Pro Bowler
Name
Bill
How many of the owners involved in starting the NFL are still left? These aren't the guys who took the risks in the beginning. These are rich people who bought into an already established product.(or the kids of the people who took the risk)

Why didn't the players get together and buy some teams then?

JIMERAMS

Pro Bowler
Name
Bill
It doesn't matter whether it's a choice or not. Everything is a choice. You realize that you're ticked at Donald for refusing to play, right? Isn't that what you just advised him to do if he doesn't like the risks? Well, he doesn't like the risks he's taking for his current pay.

I could care less if he plays or not. Play and get payed or don't play and don't get payed its his choice

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I could care less if he plays or not. Play and get payed or don't play and don't get payed its his choice

Okay. Most people do care. Most people are angry at Donald. Hell, even I'm angry at Donald, but I understand and respect what he's doing.

P.S. I'm sorry to nitpick here, but it's a pet peeve of mine. The correct phrase is "I couldn't care less...."

JIMERAMS

Pro Bowler
Name
Bill
Strange but if I refuse to go to work I get fired I don't have a bunch of guys cheating me on and defending my decision. Haha and now the grammar police show up its just like facebook

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Why didn't the players get together and buy some teams then?

Also, if you're talking about the early NFL, that did happen. George Halas is an example. It's just no longer possible. Teams cost too much, and the players don't make enough money to buy them.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
I'm not angry at Donald. I just wish that this contract would be done, preferably without the opt-out clause. I want him to be a Ram for life, and I'm not angry at him for getting what he feels is right.

I've seen so many player deaths and suicides that I understand wanting to be paid as much as possible or when players retire before or in their prime.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Strange but if I refuse to go to work I get fired I don't have a bunch of guys cheating me on and defending my decision. Haha and now the grammar police show up its just like facebook

Rams have the option to fire Donald too. They just aren't willing to do that because he's too valuable to them. That's why he can do what he's doing.

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Rams have the option to fire Donald too. They just aren't willing to do that because he's too valuable to them. That's why he can do what he's doing.

That's something that will bear watching if this holdout continues. He's certainly valuable, but there is a point where the team will have their hands tied in doing what they feel is best for the organization and that vision of the future might not include Donald if he prices himself out of it.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Guess I don't think the same way as some of you. It's a choice they make we don't make it for them. Pretty simple really. Lazy owners? Whatever I'm not taking their side but they had the money to start this whole thing not the players.

How can the owners make money out of football without the players? Two way street.

Zodi

Hall of Fame
That's something that will bear watching if this holdout continues. He's certainly valuable, but there is a point where the team will have their hands tied in doing what they feel is best for the organization and that vision of the future might not include Donald if he prices himself out of it.

I support Donald, and I also agree with this. I'm a Rams fan, first and foremost. I hope Donald gets the resolution he wants and deserves, but I'm all about the 53 that show up in Indy. If that includes Donald, great. If not, that's unfortunate, but oh well.

Ramification

Happy at the Coliseum again
It's clear exactly what it means. Football is entertainment. It's why we spend the money. It's why they get paid. They're freaking up their bodies and minds for our entertainment. They get paid to do it, but it doesn't change what it is.

You're right. They have the choice to quit, just like you had the choice to quit. For Donald, there's a certain amount of money where it's worth him continuing to play. I would expect people to understand and respect that decision rather than siding with the billionaires who sit on their asses and collect profits.

If one of the people you worked with had demanded more money for the dangerous work you did rather than quitting, would you have said, "To hell with you man, you should appreciate the money they're paying you" and have supported the company you worked for?

Do you think you would have been within your rights to ask for more money to continue being a hazmat tech to make it worth the risk to your life? Would you think it nuts for people to be angry with you for doing that and support the owner of the business?

Maybe at one point the test was what is the "certain amount of money where it's worth him continuing to play." But we are way past that number now. Now, it is all about ego and greed. If somehow we could roll things back such that we had never seen player salaries at this level, and players' salaries were now capped at $5 million, do you think Donald would decide that $5 million was not worth his continuing to play? Of course he wouldn't. I don't know anything about his non-football abilities, but I have to ask where else he would make that kind of money.

I believe the same is true for just about every player in the NFL, even at the risk of messing up bodies and minds. Maybe the test number is higher, but it's not at Donald's demands now.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Just like businesses there is a never ending supply of employees willing to do it for cheaper.

not this business. if people know the best aren't out there they're not gonna spend their cash to watch them.