The official Aaron Donald holdout thread - #Questfor100

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

rdw

Pro Bowler
7sndyCN.gif

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
AD is single handedly trying to change a Players Union-NFL policy that was negotiated and agreed upon by both.

Rookie contracts were discussed and debated to determine length, duration and amount.

AD wants to change that without going through the CBA. When he was drafted and signed his contract with the Rams, he made a court binding obligation.

By holding out, he is hurting himself and undermining the players union.

The players union is very much on his side and wants him to get the biggest contract he can get - remember that when the CBA was signed, AD didn't get a vote.

If he digs in and misses games, then I would stiffen up and play hardball as the Rams. Until he misses week 1 - I don't have a problem with any of this. If he misses week 1, and assuming the Rams are offering to make him the highest paid defensive player ever, I probably change my tune.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
I am just not sure AD wants to be a Ram if I am being honest. Just a gut feeling.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Boom. Should be fixed for members to view. This was on Kayvon Webster's snapchat this morning. The two have never played together so I don't think he's throwing shade. But it is interesting none the less. [GALLERY=media, 265]Screenshot_2017-09-02-07-49-11 by A.J. Hicks posted Sep 2, 2017 at 7:58 AM[/GALLERY]
I don't think that's about AD. Just another player trying to show everyone else how they inspire themselves with someone else's words.
Yawn.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Doesn't matter he didn't get a vote. He signed a binding contract knowing full well what he signed up for. If he only wanted to play for 3 years and then re-negotiate, he should have held out then.

If he gets his way, might as well just do player contracts one year at a time based on previous season performance.

The players union set up rookie pay during the last CBA, AD's current contract is sanctioned by the players union, they can't just change their mind without negotiating a new CBA with the NFL in 2020.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
Players get cut short of reaching their full deal all the time. Donald could hurt himself tomorrow and his career could be over. Never getting the money he's worth and likely being cut before he collects on the next two seasons. Players have to protect their investments

True. But teams have to protect their interests. If there wasn't a salary cap I'm sure they'd sign him by now. They have to consider what is best for the whole team. If his demands meant they can't bring back other key players, then you have to look at how many players will you lose. Is he good enough to offset the loss of Ogletree and Tru Johnson? You need Watkins to be part of this too. There are others. Both sides have a lot to consider.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I think J.J. Watt said it best, when he, himself, EARNED an extension before his deal was up.

"With the new [collective bargaining agreement], I think one of the goals was to make guys earn their pay," Watt said. "No more big paydays up front. Make guys go out there and play, show that they've earned it. So I think when a team gives a big contract after the third year, they're saying, 'Listen, we think you've earned this.' I don't know if [the Texans] feel that way or not, but I sure hope I've put in all the work, and I've put in everything I can do to hopefully earn it."

The new CBA just ended those ridiculous $100M rookie deals, and everyone on earth wanted to see those go away. I don't think it was designed or intended to punish good players who played their way into THE best player at their position in their first 3 years. The Rams know this, and they want to reward him, but they have to dance with the devil (agents) to get it done. If anyone is to blame, it's not Donald. That's like getting mad at free market capitalism. Get mad at the agents who continually tell the teams, "Nah, we want more than any other player has ever earned in the history of the sport, and we're not willing to accept less." I seriously doubt it's Donald who's outright telling the Rams to go fuck themselves.

fearsomefour

Legend
Donald will come in and the Rams will forgive the fine money I assume.
It makes no sense for him to start missing game checks and get fined.
A 5th year option and can tag him.
The Rams hold the cards in terms of keeping him under wraps. Keeping him playing hard etc? That's all on Donald.
We don't know how much if any communication has happened between Donald and Wade and the staff about the new D, alignments, role etc. Maybe they aren't allowed to communicate if he isent in.
But, if he were in he wouldn't be getting game reps anyway.

HitStick

Van Jefferson’s #1 fan
I don't think there's a system that AD wouldn't dominate in. I'm over the holdout and don't want to be handicapped, but my doubts are not about his future play.

A.J. Hicks

Hall of Fame
Name
zoomy
I don't think it was about AD but none the less I found it interesting.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
I'm not going to let the agent off the hook, but at the end of the day, the agent works for the player, not vice versa. Ultimate responsibility on the player side of this issue belongs to Donald, not his agent, no matter how much of a prick he is. It was easy to blame the Postons when Pace was holding out - and to be sure, they were flaming iceholes - but once Orlando fired their sorry asses, a long term deal got done.

The other thing that galls me on the player side of this is a complete loss of perspective. I understand it's a business and I understand Donald has to make bank while he can. At the same time, whatever deal is on the table almost certainly includes 10's of millions in guaranteed money, 50, 60, 7o million. It's instant financial security for life, but more than that - it's real, significant wealth, the kind of which is beyond the reach of most of us here, if not all. And yet that is still not enough for Donald. That's simple greed and nothing more.

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
True. But teams have to protect their interests. If there wasn't a salary cap I'm sure they'd sign him by now. They have to consider what is best for the whole team. If his demands meant they can't bring back other key players, then you have to look at how many players will you lose. Is he good enough to offset the loss of Ogletree and Tru Johnson? You need Watkins to be part of this too. There are others. Both sides have a lot to consider.
That's why I'm neutral. Both sides have an argument at this point. Unless Donald is asking for a ransom then I'll stick to the middle

EasyE

Starter
I'm not going to let the agent off the hook, but at the end of the day, the agent works for the player, not vice versa. Ultimate responsibility on the player side of this issue belongs to Donald, not his agent, no matter how much of a prick he is. It was easy to blame the Postons when Pace was holding out - and to be sure, they were flaming iceholes - but once Orlando fired their sorry asses, a long term deal got done.

The other thing that galls me on the player side of this is a complete loss of perspective. I understand it's a business and I understand Donald has to make bank while he can. At the same time, whatever deal is on the table almost certainly includes 10's of millions in guaranteed money, 50, 60, 7o million. It's instant financial security for life, but more than that - it's real, significant wealth, the kind of which is beyond the reach of most of us here, if not all. And yet that is still not enough for Donald. That's simple greed and nothing more.

Great perspective ....nice post

OC--LeftCoast

Agent Provocateur
Name
Greg
Players get cut short of reaching their full deal all the time. Donald could hurt himself tomorrow and his career could be over. Never getting the money he's worth and likely being cut before he collects on the next two seasons. Players have to protect their investments

I have a hard time rationalizing that "renegotiate the big deal in case you get hurt" isn't that what insurance policies are for?

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I have a hard time rationalizing that "renegotiate the big deal in case you get hurt" isn't that what insurance policies are for?
Donald is probably gonna get around 60 million gauranteed. I'm not sure insurance policies cover that. Maybe though

OC--LeftCoast

Agent Provocateur
Name
Greg
Donald is probably gonna get around 60 million gauranteed. I'm not sure insurance policies cover that. Maybe though

I get that, times are changing, you pay your dues then reap the benefits is how I feel - this hurry up, hold your team, teammates and fan base hostage to ensure you get your money barring the unthinkable is not necessarily the most ethical route, in fact, in my world it's utter baloney sausage, then again you got unethical owners everywhere ( hello Jerrah)

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike
I know I don't have the right to tell somebody how much money ios enough, but it seems to me if $60M guaranteed is not enough then it's about ego (keeping up with or passing the Jones guy)..I really believe that and it really posses me off..The fans pay their salaries...Before somebody says no, it's TV money...The ad money wouldn't be there if the fans didn't watch..The ticket money, concession money and endorsement deals wouldn't exist without fans...The protracted holdouts are screwing the fans...

Juice

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The only reason I get frustrated at this holdout is I want Donald locked up as a Ram for a long time. I certainly see both sides, as you guys have illustrated posts previous to this one. I guess I follow the team and not the player, but that way of thinking was probably burned in my behavior by the NFL anyway, but that is another situation.

RedRam

Pro Bowler

True, true...

50, 60, 70 million dollars of guaranteed scratch isn't enough?? How much :poop: do you need?? Pure, unabashed greed. I have exactly zero sympathy for a greedy person. Check that, it's probably less than zero...