The NFL Free Agency thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Status
Not open for further replies.

baconandbread

Let's get the Karty party starty
I for one am happy they aren't overpaying McLeod and Jenkins...both are easily replaceable IMO. Williams has proven that he can make our defense work with whatever players he has. From my understanding the draft is deep in corners regardless.

T-Hawks

UDFA
I hope we sign Oliver Vernon today. We need a starting DE. At least we have secondary depth to replace Jenkins and McLeod. We have no one to take that starting DE position.

UKram

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I for one am happy they aren't overpaying McLeod and Jenkins...both are easily replaceable IMO. Williams has proven that he can make our defense work with whatever players he has. From my understanding the draft is deep in corners regardless.

While the draft may be deep in corners ... The "needs" are pretty much racking up and we we don't have the resources (draft picks ) to fill them all ... Let's hope snish' plan involves trading out waterboy for a couple of 1st rounders in this years draft

baconandbread

Let's get the Karty party starty
While the draft may be deep in corners ... The "needs" are pretty much racking up and we we don't have the resources (draft picks ) to fill them all ... Let's hope snish' plan involves trading out waterboy for a couple of 1st rounders in this years draft
Granted, we have some spots to fill, I still believe they made the right decisions. We will HAVE to pay Donald as the number 1 DT in the future. We have some replacements already on the roster. We pick up one or two modest FA signings (maybe Smith at CB and Barron) and draft WR, QB, DE, CB...BPA for the other picks.

woofwoofmo

65 Toss Power Trap
CdIKZo2W4AAirKn.jpg

A little food for thought. I don't see the Patriots, Packers, Seahawks, Broncos making a lot of noise at the moment. It's a long way to training camp. The coaster is just now leaving the platform.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Chase Daniel to the Iggles. Shit...

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/03/09/eagles-signing-chase-daniel-to-go-with-sam-bradford/

The Eagles made a big move by keeping Sam Bradford.

But he’s not the only quarterback they’re bringing in.

According to ESPN’s Adams (Schefter and Caplan), the Eagles will sign Chiefs quarterbackChase Daniel when the league year begins.

That makes for some immediate intrigue, since new Eagles coach Doug Pederson is familiar with Daniel from his days as the coordinator in Kansas City, and Daniel was looking for a chance to start.

While Bradford might have some degree of advantage as the incumbent, Pederson doesn’t have any particular loyalty to him, and the fact Bradford’s the one guy Howie Roseman and Chip Kelly apparently agreed on might not give him a clear path to the starting job, or a long hold on it.

It also puts Mark Sanchez squarely on the market, as the Eagles don’t need three veterans making that kind of money on the roster.

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder

Wait a second though we've lost McLeod and Janoris - they are only two "holes" and McLeod was undrafted

Needs are still DE, QB, C

We have two second picks to grab our Janoris replacement and Gaines to take his place along with Roberson. Joyner can replace McLeod and so can Bryant (another UDFA)
So we are still in great shape
Mo Alexander to me is Barron's replacement or high draft pick

But we seriously need to sign Barron now

RAMpage28

Hall of Fame
I know the Rams got some big name FAs coming up in following years, and I'm ok with Janoris going for that money to the Giants, but I'm going to miss McLeod. Felt like retaining him would be a necessity.

Young Ram

Hall of Fame
McLeod was a free safety in every sense of the word, he made TD saving tackles. He was never a "make a play" guy. We probably have his replacement on the team. I liked him, we gave him a chance, developed him, and he left for big money.

If we can't get our team to buy in, then we won't ever be good. Never be sustainable. We can't pay 0ver 32 million for 3 guys, who all play in the secondary. Can't do it. Good for them, freak them.

Migos must not mean, what we think it means.

They weren't worth the money. We need WR, we need QB. We had depth in the secondary. We have to sign Barron.

Stop speaking too much sense. Don't you see the sky is falling and Demoff needs to be fired!!

In all seriousness though we have Roberson who played very well last year and Gaines who also played very well before his injury. Not concerned with CB.

We developed McLeod an Undrafted free agent. Not worth paying him almost 8 mill when we can do that again.

Barron is the key peice. He must be resigned.

UKram

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Granted, we have some spots to fill, I still believe they made the right decisions. We will HAVE to pay Donald as the number 1 DT in the future. We have some replacements already on the roster. We pick up one or two modest FA signings (maybe Smith at CB and Barron) and draft WR, QB, DE, CB...BPA for the other picks.

Oh I agree I'm not one for paying for a name or reputation in FA ... (Unless it's A Donald )....but what I don't want is our greatest asset the D ... Being decimated ... Will modest cut it ? .. Will 2nd tier FA's be as good or better than JJ and Rodney ...... Where are the playmakers going to come from ??

I think most on here would agree the plan would have been tie up our home grown FA's (we all realised we were going to lose JJ ) and then sign some extra peeps either as depth or replacements then go get the future QB in the draft or some more playmakers and as it stands now none of that has happened

UKram

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Wait a second though we've lost McLeod and Janoris - they are only two "holes" and McLeod was undrafted

Needs are still DE, QB, C

We have two second picks to grab our Janoris replacement and Gaines to take his place along with Roberson. Joyner can replace McLeod and so can Bryant (another UDFA)
So we are still in great shape
Mo Alexander to me is Barron's replacement or high draft pick

But we seriously need to sign Barron now
Yeah we have lost 2 .... But also add cook (thank god) .. JL and CL ..to that ... So we need replacements or back ups to those replaceing them already on the roster

Heard nothing about Hayes Barron and the others and while I know some will resign or we will sign other FA's in the coming days ... But feels like our playoff calibre D is taking a beating

StealYoGurley

Pro Bowler
Rodney and Jenks are now paid top 5 at their position without making a pro bowl. There is a reason why the best teams in the league don't go crazy in FA. Dont get me wrong they will be missed, but no one should be surprised they are gone when they make that kind of money and the rams have committed to a draft and develop strategy.

Lets not forget Rodney was an undrafted guy who excelled on special teams and everyone was shocked when he got the starting job initially. Cody Davis fits that profile and is a little more athletic. He played that deep safety role some in the regular season when we were depleted at corner and Rod moved to nickel. Fish also said he was comfortable with Cody starting if needed. So he proably gets the first crack at it.

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
Our D has shown glimpses but never been great

Look how we ranked stat-wise

Total team defense efficiency:
2015 - 7th
2014 - 9th
2013 - 11th

I mean I know that's not the entire indicator of greatness at all but it shows stat wise we aren't in the top 5 and none of the guys leaving has gotten us past 7-8

So right now I'm not concerned at all and think we an get guys to buy in even more who are cheaper and better. Long, JL, McLeod, are part of a losing history - I believe our replacements will take us to the next level

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
Yeah we have lost 2 .... But also add cook (thank god) .. JL and CL ..to that ... So we need replacements or back ups to those replaceing them already on the roster

Heard nothing about Hayes Barron and the others and while I know some will resign or we will sign other FA's in the coming days ... But feels like our playoff calibre D is taking a beating

Again it's NOT a playoff caliber defense - we haven't been to the playoff with any of these guys

Maybe these are the moves we need to make to get our D into the Top 5, which it hasn't been

And Brockers and Donald are the players we keep for good, everyone else is replaceable

Psycho_X

Legend

LMAO, that would be icing on the cake. Wtf.

A little food for thought. I don't see the Patriots, Packers, Seahawks, Broncos making a lot of noise at the moment. It's a long way to training camp. The coaster is just now leaving the platform.

And you are absolutely right, spending big bucks in free agency for OTHER teams players has rarely been a factor for winning teams. Winning teams draft or sign rookies well, develop them, and resign them to a second contract to keep their core from constantly fluctuating too much. And that is what the Pats, Packs, and Seahawks have done. Today is the Rams doing the exact opposite of what most winning teams do. So you are right, unfortunately it isn't good for the Rams.

RamsJunkie

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED!
So if a team makes an offer to him, what exactly does this low tender mean for the Rams?

I believe it means that have the right to match whatever offer he gets if they don't want to match it they lose him and get nothing in return.

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
I believe it means that have the right to match whatever offer he gets if they don't want to match it they lose him and get nothing in return.

Oh that is wack. I thought we'd get at least a late pick or something if some team snagged him. At least we get the right to match.

Status
Not open for further replies.