The moves I'd start making now....

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

janthony6

UDFA
I don’t think you can trade Gurley or Cooks with their contracts. Maybe Cooks but for either of them, it would be hard to get a 3rd.
I think Goff is a good QB when he has time to throw and adequate protection but this just isn’t going to work with our line.

The biggest mistake was giving him that much money when we can’t protect him and he can’t carry a team without the protection.

not sure of the cap implications but it may make sense to eat the dead money and cut him - deal with it for a year of cash tied up, and then have cap space to sign a vet or draft a mobile qb.

I don’t know that we could do much worse starting Bortles at this point. But to make up for the errors in contracts, we need to hit the reset button soon.

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
  1. Tackle
    1. Bryan Bulaga, Green Bay Packers
    2. Andrew Whitworth, Los Angeles Rams
    3. George Fant, Seattle Seahawks
    4. Anthony Castonzo, Indianapolis Colts
    5. Joe Staley, San Francisco 49ers
    Like the quarterbacks, most of the offensive tackles are older veterans who aren't long-term fixes. Contenders needing bridge options should be intrigued with Andrew Whitworth (37) and Joe Staley (turns 35 in August) should they come available despite their advanced ages. Both have remained effective through excellent technique and intelligence.
    The youngest option in the top five, George Fant, took a solid leap in 2018 after Mike Solari replaced Tom Cable as Seattle's offensive line coach. Fant will be turning 28 next year and has great athleticism at right tackle. He could get money similar to Ja'Wuan James, who signed a four-year, $51 million deal with the Denver Broncos this month.
    There are potential sleepers in the class. La'el Collins hasn't yet proved himself to be reliable, but he could turn the corner in 2019 as he continues to gain experience at right tackle. The Carolina Panthers' Daryl Williams can also cash in if he stays healthy after tearing his MCL in training camp last season and repeats his 2017 play.

Guard
    1. Brandon Scherff, Washington Redskins
    2. Joe Thuney, New England Patriots
    3. Clint Boling, Cincinnati Bengals
    4. Marshal Yanda, Baltimore Ravens
    5. Andrus Peat, New Orleans Saints
    The top of the guard market looks primed to do well in free agency. Both Brandon Scherff, 27, and Joe Thuney, 26, are excellent interior blockers in their primes. Scherff is especially good in the running game, and Thuney has become a masterful pass-blocker.
    Veterans Clint Boling (who turns 30 in May) and Marshal Yanda (34) are two former elites at the position, but age has left them less reliable. Neither can be viewed as more than a one-year starter who will need to be replaced sooner rather than later.
    The guard market dies after those four, as the inconsistent Andrus Peat headlines the rest. If an unheralded backup steps into a bigger role in 2019, the class would benefit. Otherwise, there's not a clear starter in the remaining names.

Center
    1. Cody Whitehair, Chicago Bears
    2. JC Tretter, Cleveland Browns
    3. Rodney Hudson, Oakland Raiders
    4. Mike Pouncey, Los Angeles Chargers
    5. Ben Jones, Tennessee Titans
    Teams needing an upgrade at center could be looking at a solid group that has a variety of strengths. The two youngest options are Cody Whitehair (turns 27 in July) and JC Tretter (28). Though the center position theoretically ages well because of the limited range needed compared to other line spots, adding a potential long-term upgrade is ideal.
    Both Rodney Hudson and Mike Pouncey will be 31 next offseason but bring different talents. Hudson is reliable, missing just three regular-season games since 2013. He fits best in a power-blocking scheme. Pouncey's durability issues led to his release from Miami following the 2017 campaign, but he's a solid zone-blocking center.
    Jones will be 31 next summer but has brought stability to the Titans in his three seasons in Tennessee. He strikes a good balance between power and zone teams, so he could be the best value of the group.

Adi

Pro Bowler
Name
Adi
Doubt anyone wants TG with all the questions about his health. He honestly has played good in the running game and blocking . His hands have been atrocious.

Not sure what's up with mcvay and Gurley, wish they were more transparent with that situation.

I agree we could lose cooks, woods kupp and Reynolds works fine for me. But again who wants cooks with his injury issues?

Gonna be a very interesting few years coming up

Ram65

Legend
The trades are out. Get the most out of playing Gurley and Cooks you can until their contracts allow for other options.

Rams are going to have to figure out how to rebuild the offensive line. Unfortunately, the Rams are so top heavy contract wise it may not be so easy.

Someone needs to have an intervention with McVay. He needs to adjust the offense.

ramsince62

Hall of Fame
Doubt anyone wants TG with all the questions about his health. He honestly has played good in the running game and blocking . His hands have been atrocious.

Not sure what's up with mcvay and Gurley, wish they were more transparent with that situation.

I agree we could lose cooks, woods kupp and Reynolds works fine for me. But again who wants cooks with his injury issues?

Gonna be a very interesting few years coming up

Don't write off a TG trade so easily. If a play off bound team suddenly needs a RB, you never know. Especially if McVay show cases him in a couple of games to show his resiliency. In reality Woods and Kupp aren't going anywhere, Cooks or Reynolds possibly, but neither would likely bring the trading weight-material of Gurley.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
1. Trade Gurley before the draft (if possible) for a late round #1 pick?
2. If Cooks wants to keep playing, try trading him for whatever we can get for him. (Need to save money with him, he's not a difference maker at the money he's getting.) Even if we only get a 3rd for him, do it.
Neither of those two save money and will ruin our cap. Sorry.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Great topic, Brian! I would put Henderson in full time. This team needs a spark, and it won't come from the players we have starting. The O-line is a mess, but there is nothing we can do right now. Gurley, for whatever reason, cannot be counted on. I'm not giving up on the season, but what we do have to lose? The team is playing like crap and has been for a while... to think that they will turn it around and run off 7 in a row is ludicrous. Let's see if Henderson can give us a spark carrying the rock 25-30 times!

Gurley was far more effective than Henderson against Pittsburgh.

I like Rams

Hall of Fame
we probably stopped running because we couldn't use Gurley, You know, because of that snap count. So when we have 4 games left are we going to give Gurley 30 carries a game? does it matter that by that time we will be eliminated from making the playoffs. I don't believe any of this saving Gurley crap anymore. My theory is, as soon as we start to use Gurley as a workhorse his knee begins to swell up and we shut him down. I can't see any other reason why we stop using him.
What if McVay realized from early on in the season that this oline was not going to get us to the superbowl, let alone the playoffs. Do you still jeopardize your star running back that has a knee issue?

hotanez

NRA Member for Life
What if McVay realized from early on in the season that this oline was not going to get us to the superbowl, let alone the playoffs. Do you still jeopardize your star running back that has a knee issue?
Should he not have realized that before? Do we not a have one of the better Dlines in the NFL? Would he not see that in training camp? or preseason? No, I'm thinking there's a lot more that the FO is not telling us in regards to our star running back. You don't save players 2 or 3 games into the season. Doesn't make any sense.

I like Rams

Hall of Fame
Should he not have realized that before? Do we not a have one of the better Dlines in the NFL? Would he not see that in training camp? or preseason? No, I'm thinking there's a lot more that the FO is not telling us in regards to our star running back. You don't save players 2 or 3 games into the season. Doesn't make any sense.
They were saying before the season started that he would be on a pitch count, so it's possible he did notice it.

hotanez

NRA Member for Life
They were saying before the season started that he would be on a pitch count, so it's possible he did notice it.
That was all related to his workload and keeping healthy for when it counted. I believe it counted yesterday and Gurley was on the sidelines.

SoCalRam78

Pro Bowler
Name
SoCalRam78
If if were me in charge, here's the moves I would start planning on making.

1. Trade Gurley before the draft (if possible) for a late round #1 pick?

Sorry, you have no idea how the salary cap works. Todd Gurley on a bum knee and a massive deal isn't netting you anything, let alone a first round pick. Nobody is bailing us out of that deal.

rams1fan

Pro Bowler
The only option I can see is restructuring contract money to future years so they can get some mid range free agents.

iamme33

Pro Bowler
Name
dan
with our cap I don't think there is much we can do personnel wise . injuries have dune the changes to the ol to where we don't have a lot of options. so if it was me I would go to two te one on each side to help ot one rb and two wr. hate to brake up three wr sets but cooks is concucted a lot of the time any way. this would help the running game and give goff better protection. if the game situation calls for the bunch wr we could set the te on the left side for that situation. doubt this would make a better offence but it might help the run game and save goff from being crissy everted by the end of the year. also mcvay needs to call out the refereeing publicly no matter how big a fine if he dose it publicly it might get us some better calls

Last edited:

rams1fan

Pro Bowler
But you will jeopardize your star QB by having him drop back 45 times vs the Steelers?

…..

Legend
I wouldn’t over react and make a lot of changes. Not even to the line at this point.

unless .......you change the practice schedule and Actually FUCKIN PRACTICE.

freakin sissy boys. McVay needs to tough up.