The more I look at their film the more...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

wrstdude

Rookie
Nah, it's not 100%. Peyton Manning throws plenty of short passes but doesn't have issues with batted passes.

Let me rephrase. 100% of the passes thrown by Bradford that have been batted down have been short passes. I think Peyton does a better job keeping the defense honest as his he is, you know, Peyton Manning. I think defenses are keyed in on Bradford's short passes, an extension of the run game, but they're waiting for them more fervently than against Peyton. Also Peyton does throw it deeper as his aDOT is 8.2 to Bradford's 7.1.

We've ventured in the realm of comparing Bradford to the greatest QB to ever play the game. Always a fruitless endeavor.

Last edited:

wrstdude

Rookie
Come on. That Brady miss was no where near as awful at the Bradford miss against SF. The Bradford miss was embarrassingly bad.

Bny749hCIAEicvM.jpg

bluesjoc

Long time poster,First time reader
Name
Jeff
With the support of running back Marshall Faulk and wide receivers Isaac Bruce, Torry Holt, Az-Zahir Hakim, and Ricky Proehl, Warner put together one of the top seasons by a quarterback in NFL history, throwing for 4,353 yards with 41 touchdown passes and a completion rate of 65.1%.
It's kind of crazy with that kind of talent around him and only have a 65.1% completion rate.
Some would just consider that an above average QB.
I like Kurt and he worked his way into becoming a starter in the NFL and i respect that. But at 65% in today's league and the pundits would fry you

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
Really? Down by 7 with the end-zone in sight late in the 4th, Brady throws a horribly inaccurate pass that's picked off to lose the game and it's not as bad as Bradford's? Come on, Max. Especially if you consider this:

Now, I won't absolve Bradford entirely even if Pettis was supposed to run the flag because had Bradford put more air under it, it would have been a TD. That all said, none of us know what was at fault on that play. And based on the play that was run later, it seemed to me that Pettis didn't make his cut when he was supposed to and wasn't where he was supposed to be.

I see what I see. And that Bradford miss was Kyle Boller bad. Brady's pass was no where near as easy as Bradford's; there were actually DBs around. On Bradford's, it was a backyard, pass and catch with your dad throw. Still, unlike you, I'm glad we didn't draft Teddy. I've been all in on SB this year right along.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I didn't read all the replies but I did see stat comparisons. If you're going to get into stats then take a look at when and how Bradford compiled his stats. Dump offs and late in games when we've only scored 3pts offensive points for 3 quarters and we're in catch up mode.
Comparing stats vs Andrew Luck is a perfect example of how deceiving stats are when it comes to wins and losses. When Luck has 3rd and 13, he throws it 13+ and converts 3rd downs to extend drives. He looks down the field as the 1st option. Bradford is quick to check down or throw it without a chance for a completion. You'd have to be blind or have no memory of how futile he has been on 3rd downs and red zone conversions.
He was on pace to have a real good year last season while still leading us to a losing record. Personally, I don't see how he improves after an ACL injury. I hope he does, but I think I've seen enough over 4 seasons.
Look up what Kurt Warner has said about Sam Bradford. I suppose Warner doesn't know what he's seeing also.

Sam Bradford on 3rd and 9+ in 2013:
48.0% completion%
7.0 Yards Per Attempt
14.6 Yards Per Completion

Andrew Luck on 3rd and 9+ in 2013:
57.1% completion%
6.2 Yards Per Attempt
10.8 Yards Per Completion

Red-zone TD% in 2013:
Indy/Luck - 56.9%
STL/Bradford - 65.0%

FLV, watch the play again please, because I'm seeing the opposite here. Bradford looks the safety off before going to Quick. He absolutely DOES NOT look right towards Quick. He initially looks left(and you can see it). Then he resets, turns his body and eyes to Quick and throws.

And yes, I might be stating the obvious here, but you eventually do have to look at the man you're throwing it to. Not to see if he's open but to be mechanically sound when you throw it.

To better explain the play, the offense is in 11 personnel with trips left. Bradford's single WR split to the right is his alert box(Teddy Bridgewater explained this really well on Gruden's QB Camp). Because the CB is pressing, it tells Bradford(or at minimum gives the appearance) that it will be man to man coverage. With the single high safety aligning outside the opposite hash and Quick's route converting to a fade because of the press coverage, Quick is Bradford's primary read the entire time. He's 1 on 1 with no safety help. So Bradford initially looks left to hold the safety to give Quick time to beat the jam then resets, looks right and throws.

There was absolutely nothing wrong with Bradford's read, decision making, or mannerisms on the play. And he definitely did not draw Whitner to that play. He looked off the safety. The thing Bradford did wrong was leaving the ball a little too far inside. That all said, the point of having Quick is so that he can win those 50/50 balls and he didn't. Isn't that the type of throw that we all want from Bradford? Him throwing it up to a WR that is covered and giving him a shot? Could have been better thrown but I find it a bit funny that people demand he takes more chances and then when he does and it back-fires, people skewer him for it.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I see what I see. And that Bradford miss was Kyle Boller bad. Brady's pass was no where near as easy as Bradford's; there were actually DBs around. On Bradford's, it was a backyard, pass and catch with your dad throw. Still, unlike you, I'm glad we didn't draft Teddy. I've been all in on SB this year right along.

Max, did you read the post I quoted?

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yes. I read it. But maybe I misunderstood it.

The point I was making is that while the pass appears inaccurate...based on the same play being run later (a variant of the commonly used "Levels" play)...it seems more likely to me that the pass simply lacked touch AND that Pettis got too excited over the blown coverage. Because Pettis threw his hand up in the air and faded towards the sideline but he never made his cut. Whereas, running the same play, Cook made a hard cut on the flag route.

I think Pettis was supposed to run a flag route there which is what Bradford threw, assuming Pettis would make his break, but Pettis being wide open as he was just expected Bradford to loft it up so he could run under it.

So I'd say that Bradford is to blame for not putting more air under it and Pettis is to blame for not running his route and being where he was supposed to be. That all said, I can't know for sure because I don't know the options on the route in the Rams playbook. But I don't think the pass accuracy was the problem...just a miscommunication between the two and a lack of touch.

However, that's just my opinion.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
The point I was making is that while the pass appears inaccurate...based on the same play being run later (a variant of the commonly used "Levels" play)...it seems more likely to me that the pass simply lacked touch AND that Pettis got too excited over the blown coverage. Because Pettis threw his hand up in the air and faded towards the sideline but he never made his cut. Whereas, running the same play, Cook made a hard cut on the flag route.

I think Pettis was supposed to run a flag route there which is what Bradford threw, assuming Pettis would make his break, but Pettis being wide open as he was just expected Bradford to loft it up so he could run under it.

So I'd say that Bradford is to blame for not putting more air under it and Pettis is to blame for not running his route and being where he was supposed to be. That all said, I can't know for sure because I don't know the options on the route in the Rams playbook. But I don't think the pass accuracy was the problem...just a miscommunication between the two and a lack of touch.

However, that's just my opinion.

Even if it was just a lack of touch thing, Bradford just looked like he was a mental mess during that game. That image of him sitting on the bench looking at that picture book was sad.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Even if it was just a lack of touch thing, Bradford just looked like he was a mental mess during that game. That image of him sitting on the bench looking at that picture book was sad.

He seemed pissed. I would be too.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
He seemed pissed. I would be too.

No argument from me on that one.

I really am intrigued with how Bradford will respond this year when our defense is crushing people. Because I totally expect G.Williams to create a monster. I'm looking at the Panthers from last year and how their front 7 made Newton's job so much easier.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

No, I disagree, he should be throwing right. Whitner aligned to the right side of the defense outside of the right hash behind the ROLB (left side of the offense). Bradford had no safety over the top of Quick who is against press coverage. With the route converting to a fade, that is his primary target on the play. The timing on the throw was fine too. If it had been caught, Whitner was not in position to make a play.
SFPlay3_zps3231aec7.png

I circled Whitner.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
No argument from me on that one.

I really am intrigued with how Bradford will respond this year when our defense is crushing people. Because I totally expect G.Williams to create a monster. I'm looking at the Panthers from last year and how their front 7 made Newton's job so much easier.

Hopefully, well. :LOL: