The more I look at their film the more...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
I'm all for Bradford doing well. I'll give him credit when it's due. The goal is get to the playoffs and win a championship. #8 is in his 5th year so no more excuses for him. The talent is there. Get it done. Luck got his team from 2-14 to the playoffs in 1 year with little talent. Year 2 Luck had his team in the playoffs again. Same goes for Kaep and Wilson. They've gotten their teams to a Super Bowl.
Our team has the talent now to get to the next level. If Bradford can't get us to the playoffs with what's around him now, then it's time to move on.
If people on this board thinks this is bashing, then I don't need to be here.
Crazyhorn, ignorance is only from those who will continue to support and be satisfied with mediocrity.

I don't think it's bashing. I'd call it whining.

We all get it. Bradford needs to get it done this year or he's gone with his big contract. Thing is, in less than 6 months we're gonna know the story. I can wait, plus I have no choice but to wait. But if SB gets it done, I won't be surprised, and I won't question why he didn't get it done sooner. I'll just be filled with glee.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
In another game against Carolina prior to getting hurt he produced 3 points in two trips into the redzone and had a pick 6 this I found frustrating even has in that game he really overall seemed to be playing well and against a good opponent.
I was more frustrated by the tripping call that negated a Tavon TD, and the TD that Quick just flat-out dropped.

jsimcox

Pro Bowler
Name
Jamie
I'm not sure why people don't get the doubt some of their fellow Ram fans have in Bradford. Sam certainly seemed to be playing better than he ever had as a pro cumulatively. However, his best statistical play came in games against poor teams. Of his 14tds 9 of them were thrown against the Falcons (picked 6th in the draft), Jags (3rd pick in the draft), and Texans (1st pick in the draft). In another game against Carolina prior to getting hurt he produced 3 points in two trips into the redzone and had a pick 6 this I found frustrating even has in that game he really overall seemed to be playing well and against a good opponent. He did have 3 pick 6 total for the year. The one against the Falcons ended up being the difference in the score.

There is nothing ignorant about having a different opinion regarding Bradford. In stead of dismissing the opinion perhaps you should dig a little deeper and at least try and understand why others still doubt him even if you don't agree yourself. Perhaps we are not having this conversation had he not gotten hurt but he did. So we still don't know for sure... and frankly his performance against the Cowboys (hardly a juggernaut) and 49ers really left me disappointed.... something that throwing 3tds against bad teams like the Falcons, Jags, & Texans doesn't erase.
Aware that this is only a portion of what you are trying to say, but i'm sure that at least 2 of Sam's pick 6's were tipped passes, or when his arm was hit mid-throw.

ED_29

I was more frustrated by the tripping call that negated a Tavon TD, and the TD that Quick just flat-out dropped.
yeah I was annoyed by all of them... Remember the 4th and goal play in the Rams first trip into the endzone when he threw the ball out of bounds? And his second trip into the redzone he focused on Cook but had a wide open Pettis in the corner for an easy 6 points. See I remember those plays and I remember Quick dropping the td, and Long's bonehead play that prevented the long td to Tavon

I remember all of it

ED_29

Aware that this is only a portion of what you are trying to say, but i'm sure that at least 2 of Sam's pick 6's were tipped passes, or when his arm was hit mid-throw.
well I know the Panthers one was... but you know some QBs feel pressure and can slide and dip a little to avoid getting hit. All you have to do is watch Sam run the very same play in the second half of that game and look at him step up into the pocket to avoid the same pressure.

It was the exact Sam play call to Quick and went for 80... because Sam actually was able to avoid pressure and contact by stepping up into the pocket. I think X posted the video the other day. Look at it yourself it you don't believe me

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
well I know the Panthers one was... but you know some QBs feel pressure and can slide and dip a little to avoid getting hit. All you have to do is watch Sam run the very same play in the second half of that game and look at him step up into the pocket to avoid the same pressure.
That's not what he's saying though. Those tipped passes weren't the result of pressure. I'll post a video of all of them though, and you can judge for yourself.

ED_29

That's not what he's saying though. Those tipped passes weren't the result of pressure. I'll post a video of all of them though, and you can judge for yourself.
Ok.... That would be good. I remember the one against the Falcons that was a dump off that was fired at DR. DR probably should have caught it but part of my wonders why he didn't lead him or throw a pass with more touch or both

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
So we still don't know for sure... and frankly his performance against the Cowboys (hardly a juggernaut) and 49ers really left me disappointed.... something that throwing 3tds against bad teams like the Falcons, Jags, & Texans doesn't erase.
Can we talk about this briefly? And let me preface it by saying I wasn't impressed with him either in those games. But. As it relates to the 49ers game, is it possible that Bradford had very little chance to succeed in that game when the run game accounted for 18 yards on 19 carries, while our rushing defense allowed 219 yards on 40 carries (with 3 TDs)? And Kaepernick only accounted for 11 of those yards, so it's not something the QB had any part of. With Richardson and Cunningham proving to be totally ineffective, Bradford was forced to throw 41 times against the 4th ranked pass defense in the league (2nd at the time of the game though).

The Dallas game was bad too, but these graphics say more than I can about the O-line and run game/run defense that day.

sO6oJN7.png

nDuWm3v.jpg

Honestly, for me, I put WAY more emphasis on how the rest of the team performs if I'm looking at why a QB lost.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Ok.... That would be good. I remember the one against the Falcons that was a dump off that was fired at DR. DR probably should have caught it but part of my wonders why he didn't lead him or throw a pass with more touch or both
Here you go.

ED_29

Oh and X for a 6'5 QB Bradford seemed to have an inordinate number of batted passes at the los. My guess is it's because of the high number of passes Bradford attempts within 5 yards of the los (remember our discussion the other day regarding his very low 6.2 career ypa) Any thoughts on that? I will say the batted passes seemed to go way down when Clemens played.... But I'm open to hear other theories

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Oh and X for a 6'5 QB Bradford seemed to have an inordinate number of batted passes at the los. My guess is it's because of the high number of passes Bradford attempts within 5 yards of the los (remember our discussion the other day regarding his very low 6.2 career ypa) Any thoughts on that? I will say the batted passes seemed to go way down when Clemens played.... But I'm open to hear other theories
I've always wondered about the batted passes thing. I think it's a product of another issue I brought up with him, and that's the idea that he finds the isolation matchup in his presnap read (which is fine), but follows that guy until he gets to the top of his route tree. That gives defensive linemen the opportunity to follow his eyes and time his delivery. I suspect that's something Cignetti is working on with him too.

CoachO

Hall of Fame

One of the reasons they went away with Clemens at QB might be due to the fact that they only averaged 16 passes per game with Clemens. Not much of an opportunity to bat them down, when they aren't throwing it.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
He did have 3 pick 6s total for the year. The one against the Falcons ended up being the difference in the score.

And yet zero of those pick sixes were on targeted throws. None of them were bad decisions. One was a tipped pass by a DE that was supposed to be chipped by Cook on a boot-leg. One bounced off the chest of the recently cut Richardson. One was a dead duck because Stacy blew his blitz pick-up and Mikell hit Bradford's arm while it was coming forward.

None of those plays were bad QBing. They were bad luck. And I think that speaks volumes. I was much more bothered by some of the non-INTs(including a couple dropped INTs) than Bradford's INTs last year.

As far as it being the difference in the score, that play was 110% on Daryl Richardson. Can't blame the QB when the ball bounces off the chest of his intended receiver.

ED_29

Can we talk about this briefly? And let me preface it by saying I wasn't impressed with him either in those games. But. As it relates to the 49ers game, is it possible that Bradford had very little chance to succeed in that game when the run game accounted for 18 yards on 19 carries, while our rushing defense allowed 219 yards on 40 carries (with 3 TDs)? And Kaepernick only accounted for 11 of those yards, so it's not something the QB had any part of. With Richardson and Cunningham proving to be totally ineffective, Bradford was forced to throw 41 times against the 4th ranked pass defense in the league (2nd at the time of the game though).

The Dallas game was bad too, but these graphics say more than I can about the O-line and run game/run defense that day.

sO6oJN7.png

nDuWm3v.jpg

Honestly, for me, I put WAY more emphasis on how the rest of the team performs if I'm looking at why a QB lost.

Well that's true the team didn't play well either. However I do recall Bradford missing Pettis badly for an easy TD against the Niners. It would have been nice for him to hit that... Maybe it sets a different tone and gives the Rams a spark offensively. As for the Cowboys no doubt, Jake Long in particular was just getting abused by Ware. However the Rams had what 1 1st down in the first half? And 18 total yards. Surely Sam had some role in that?

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Insinuating Bradford is a substandard player will get you piled on here ONLY because it's just not true.

Truth is subjective. I have no issue with a person not thinking highly of Bradford. And to be fair to Ramfreak, he was called ignorant for his opinion. Which shouldn't happen. Whether or not you agree with it...unless the person is acting ignorant(i.e. refusing to consider what anyone else says and continuing to reiterate their point over and over again). I don't think it was deserved.

Now, regardless, I also have an issue with people saying "Bradford can't do this" or "Bradford never does that". Bradford has weaknesses. Bradford has areas where he needs to improve. But we've seen Bradford do just about everything at the NFL level. There's nothing he CAN'T do when throwing the football(running is another story). There are things he needs to do more consistently and things he needs to do better. But the concrete statement that he doesn't do something is a pet peeve of mine.

You better bet I'll argue with anyone that says Bradford is mediocre. Because it's easy to show other QBs whose stats have dipped significantly in a similar situation to Bradford. You better bet I'll argue with anyone that uses wins as an indictment of Bradford. This is a team game and that's a team accomplishment.

But in the end, everyone is entitled to their opinion. Bradford may not be the guy. He hasn't proven he is or isn't the guy yet. I think he can be. I think he should be. We'll see if he is.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
I see that we added Warren Sapp (Aaron Donald) and Larry Allen (Greg Robinson). If this comes to fruition then we should see the playoffs a lot more often. My only concern is our QB position which could slow down the pace of our success.
I opened this thread expecting to see the sentence finished with..the more I think we got the best d-lineman in the draft,it was OK the way it played out, but IMO my completion is true.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ignorance is only from those who will continue to support and be satisfied with mediocrity.

ugh!

horrible flashbacks entering my mind.

i never thought i would have to start glossing over threads around here but i find myself doing exactly that lately.

I'm not sure why people don't get the doubt some of their fellow Ram fans have in Bradford. Sam certainly seemed to be playing better than he ever had as a pro cumulatively. However, his best statistical play came in games against poor teams. Of his 14tds 9 of them were thrown against the Falcons (picked 6th in the draft), Jags (3rd pick in the draft), and Texans (1st pick in the draft). In another game against Carolina in the first half he produced 3 points in two trips into the redzone and had a pick 6. This I found frustrating even as in that game he really overall seemed to be playing well and against a good opponent. He did have 3 pick 6s total for the year. The one against the Falcons ended up being the difference in the score.

There is nothing ignorant about having a different opinion regarding Bradford. In stead of dismissing the opinion perhaps you should dig a little deeper and at least try and understand why others still doubt him even if you don't agree yourself. Perhaps we are not having this conversation had he not gotten hurt but he did. So we still don't know for sure... and frankly his performance against the Cowboys (hardly a juggernaut) and 49ers really left me disappointed.... something that throwing 3tds against bad teams like the Falcons, Jags, & Texans doesn't erase.

double ugh!

let's just say he was horrible against the whiners and never had a chance against the cowboys. other than that he played very well.

show me a qb in the league that doesn't make mistakes and not see open receivers sometimes.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Well that's true the team didn't play well either. However I do recall Bradford missing Pettis badly for an easy TD against the Niners. It would have been nice for him to hit that... Maybe it sets a different tone and gives the Rams a spark offensively. As for the Cowboys no doubt, Jake Long in particular was just getting abused by Ware. However the Rams had what 1 1st down in the first half? And 18 total yards. Surely Sam had some role in that?
Yep. I remember that play. The one where Pettis threw his hand up and Bradford didn't take enough off the ball. But now we're getting into perfection territory. Agreed it would have been nice to get 7 there instead of 3, but it was not smooth sailing, offensive or defensively for the Rams, from there on out either. In the Cowboys game, I already said I'm not absolving him of any wrong doing, but what happened to him is what happened to Manning in the Super Bowl. Was Manning to blame for that? I suppose so. But at some point you have to give another team credit where its due. When we smacked the Colts around, I wouldn't necessarily characterize Luck as being the reason for it. If I was a Colts fan, I would say it was our defense's fault and I hope we never have to play the Rams again. See what I'm getting at?

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
So looking at those what do role do you think Bradford played in those ints?
In the one against AZ, that's a snap judgement call. Either take as much off of it as you can without floating it over the RB (for a sure interception), or tuck it down and try to get away without taking a safety (unlikely). Remember, all of that takes place in a one second time-frame. Good play by AZ? In the second one against ATL, he could have taken a little off of that ball; but at the same time, if you're collecting a check, CATCH the ball. That wasn't a bullet. It was a fluke how it bounced up so high, so I'd say just bad luck and not enough touch. In the third one against SF, no fault of his whatsoever. That's what everyone expects him to be able to do. Throw up a contested ball at a predetermined point, and hope (count on) your receiver to out-muscle the defender for the play. The last one was a fluke. He planted and threw, and luckily for CAR, someone was able to hit his arm during the release. The result was a floater, and the fact that it was returned for a TD is absolutely not his fault.

Fair enough?