The McVay thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
The Rams running game is top 10 and has out produced the ones in league leaders KC, GB, Buff, or Pitt and is right behind NO's.

The Rams D is top flight, if not the best in the league.

Yet we lost twice to a >.500 team (with a backup QB on the second go around) and to a .500 team with a rookie QB making their very first start.

Never heard McVay call out a player like he just did to Goff.

I will be surprised if we don't see some starting caliber QB's brought in through trade or FA during the offseason.

In the past, when McVay sees a player or coaching deficiency on the team, (hello TG and WP) he's taken prompt action to remedy the situation. Probably one of the reasons he's been so successful.

WP ?

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
McVay is Shany’s little bitch. End of story.
And Pete Carrol is McVay's little bitch (2-5 against), And Shanahan is Carrol's little bitch (2-5 against)
Apparently the story doesnt end right there

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Are there any starting caliber QBs our there?
Rams can’t dump Goff.
The Rams can’t afford an expensive back up.

I will say I did not like the trade The Rams made to get Jared Goff,only because The Rams had 3QB’s that I thought were NFL caliber.

I lost a lot of money on The Rams with Nick Foles as a starter. I wish when Freaking Fisher(Scott was afraid) didn’t take Case out against Baltimore when he was seriously concused and fumbled to lose that game.
I like Jared Goff because he owns his play.When he is on he is as good as it gets.The scouting report about his hands are true though,& he is going through emotional times on the field.I was all for the backup yesterday at one point.He keeps plays alive.
Don’t know the answer to his future,but the turnovers are really frustrating.He always makes throws though that should have been caught as well. Higbee & Everett seem to drop a lot of passes. In fairness to Higbee is he is playing hurt.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
And Pete Carrol is McVay's little bitch (2-5 against), And Shanahan is Carrol's little bitch (2-5 against)
Apparently the story doesnt end right there

I’m laying some juice down on The Hags in the next meeting.There running game should be back with Chris Carter.Plus the Old Niner/Ohio State Vs arils Hyde duo.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Goff sucks and McVay doesn't.
Copy. You've been heard loud and clear.

I just want to point out something different for the rest of us who can manage to point our frustration in more than one direction at a time.
You don't have to convince me that Goff was bad yesterday. I know. I watched.
You will have to literally change my mind to convince me that McVay was a bright spot yesterday. He wasn't. Hes lost 5 straight to them. Thats not good enough, is it?

Funny that you use McVays not running the ball at the end as an "aha" but seem to contradict yourself since you thought Goff was terrible, why is McVay trying to let him win the ball with his arm?
See how that works?
I was pounding the table for McVay to use Akers. I was pounding the table to stop running outside zone with Henderson. And I wasn't wrong. Akers made a huge difference. Why not try our top rookie sooner, when the game was getting away from us?
Yeah, the run game was a problem, until they went to Akers. Too little too late. And gaining yards there was less important than leaving Mullens with as little time as possible. But nah, McVay is perfectly fine, nothing for him to change or do better, just Goff, having too much sex and money and pizza and video games... the slacker!

It's definitely a chicken/egg conversation.

For me it's pretty simple: Goff is the QB and highest paid member of the team, regardless of how the game has gone, it should always be put on his shoulders, because he's paid for that responsibility.

There were probably things McVay could have done better, because there's always something we could all do better - but when your QB has turned the ball over more than any QB aside from Wentz, he's the problem. Once we get that fixed, other issues can be addressed.

I personally don't understand how you can blame McVay for much yesterday anyways - his plays worked, which we know because there were open WRs. He stayed committed to the run for most of the game. My only issue with him was calling timeouts late when the Niners were driving.

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
It's definitely a chicken/egg conversation.

For me it's pretty simple: Goff is the QB and highest paid member of the team, regardless of how the game has gone, it should always be put on his shoulders, because he's paid for that responsibility.

There were probably things McVay could have done better, because there's always something we could all do better - but when your QB has turned the ball over more than any QB aside from Wentz, he's the problem. Once we get that fixed, other issues can be addressed.

I personally don't understand how you can blame McVay for much yesterday anyways - his plays worked, which we know because there were open WRs. He stayed committed to the run for most of the game. My only issue with him was calling timeouts late when the Niners were driving.

You say WRs were open. When did Kupp catch a ball, the 4th?
He stayed committed to the wrong running game for too long. His TO uses were huge. His 3rd down play calling was not great and worst of all he called straight passing plays when we needed to give them as little time or as few TOs as possible.

You can't understand why I would like more from our HC after 5 straight losses to our biggest rival, on a night he could have been better, even with a lousy Goff, a game we might have won if not for some of those decisions?

You really feel like McVay doesn't deserve to be criticized for that game at all?

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
He stayed committed to the wrong running game for too long. His TO uses were huge. His 3rd down play calling was not great and worst of all he called straight passing plays when we needed to give them as little time or as few TOs as possible.

You can't understand why I would like more from our HC after 5 straight losses to our biggest rival, on a night he could have been better, even with a lousy Goff, a game we might have won if not for some of those decisions?

You really feel like McVay doesn't deserve to be criticized for that game at all?

It's four straight losses.

The defense has a say in what's going on - the two big open misses were Henderson for the TD and Woods on 2nd and 5 on the last drive. I'd have to watch the all 22 for others, but those were the big ones.

We have now struggled with this defense in three out of the last four games - Saleh just knows how to play it. That's on McVay to figure out in the off-season, as a general trend - HOWEVER, I can't tell if that was the case yesterday or not because Goff turned the ball over too much. McVay often talks about rhythm after games, and that was difficult to get into because of the turnovers.

You keep mentioning the 3rd down playcalling - can you give specific examples? Because we won't really know unless you see all the WRs on every play to see if someone was open or not. We had great protection for the most part. 3rd downs are passing downs - so what do you know for sure, right now, was a bad play call on a 3rd down? I didn't like the last 3rd down of the game, but was it a bad play call, or did Goff make a bad decision by throwing to a covered Kupp? We don't know, so I'm leaving those alone for now.

Everyone could have been better and it's possible to win that game yesterday in spite of Goff, for sure - but what was the root cause of us losing? Goff's turnovers.

I don't have a problem with people criticizing McVay if they can show their work - but saying things like his third down play calling was not great seems a stretch to me. I'm all in on the timeout usage, that was dumb. Not giving them time, I disagree with though - he had every reason to have faith that our defense would stop them, they just didn't get it done.

Ellard80

Legend

Mcvay deserves to be critiqued for sure - but if you can be truly objective I don't see how rationally the blame can go with mcvay.

2 of the 3 of goffs turnovers were totally avoidable and without those turnovers we win the game.

Ellard80

Legend
It's four straight losses.

The defense has a say in what's going on - the two big open misses were Henderson for the TD and Woods on 2nd and 5 on the last drive. I'd have to watch the all 22 for others, but those were the big ones.

We have now struggled with this defense in three out of the last four games - Saleh just knows how to play it. That's on McVay to figure out in the off-season, as a general trend - HOWEVER, I can't tell if that was the case yesterday or not because Goff turned the ball over too much. McVay often talks about rhythm after games, and that was difficult to get into because of the turnovers.

You keep mentioning the 3rd down playcalling - can you give specific examples? Because we won't really know unless you see all the WRs on every play to see if someone was open or not. We had great protection for the most part. 3rd downs are passing downs - so what do you know for sure, right now, was a bad play call on a 3rd down? I didn't like the last 3rd down of the game, but was it a bad play call, or did Goff make a bad decision by throwing to a covered Kupp? We don't know, so I'm leaving those alone for now.

Everyone could have been better and it's possible to win that game yesterday in spite of Goff, for sure - but what was the root cause of us losing? Goff's turnovers.

I don't have a problem with people criticizing McVay if they can show their work - but saying things like his third down play calling was not great seems a stretch to me. I'm all in on the timeout usage, that was dumb. Not giving them time, I disagree with though - he had every reason to have faith that our defense would stop them, they just didn't get it done.

yeah people criticize the play calling without really knowing if it was tehre. You can call the perfect play, but if the line doesn't block, or the RB misses the hole, or the QB looks at the wrong reciever then suddenly it was a bad play call.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I guarantee that if the Rams fired Sean McVay, he'd be hired by someone else almost immediately. Just putting it out there....

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Mcvay deserves to be critiqued for sure - but if you can be truly objective I don't see how rationally the blame can go with mcvay.

2 of the 3 of goffs turnovers were totally avoidable and without those turnovers we win the game.

Oh my God why can you not understand that I have the capacity to not only recognize that Goff was our biggest issue by far last night (as I have made clear repeatedly!) AND that McVay needs to do better.
They are not mutually exclusive.

Psycho_X

Legend
I guarantee that if the Rams fired Sean McVay, he'd be hired by someone else almost immediately. Just putting it out there....

Just the words McVay and fired in the same sentence makes me cringe and actually a bit angry. Not at you obviously but just that some people might actually be thinking about that as a serious option just makes me shake my head in total disbelief. The guy is an absolute amazing coach. He always has room to improve like everyone in the world does and he frustrates me at times but the Rams could give him a 20 year contract tomorrow and I'd be thrilled.

LouisvilleRam

Hall of Fame
McVay is a really good coach. I am glad we have him. But Shanahan is an amazing coach. That's the difference. The better coach won, as they usually do against us (obviously, Goff had a lot to do with yesterday's L). I do not see why this is surprising. Our best hope at this point is Saleh goes to Detroit. We won't be beating the 49ers for the foreseeable future IMO. They matchup very well against us. Similar to how we match up well vs Seattle. But when you add SF having what might be the best coaching staff in the league, it creates serious problems. God help us if they get a QB. I've said this a few times on this board and gotten heat for it. But this is what i see.
Shanny is good but amazing coaches don't get outscored 21-0 in the 4th quarter of Super Bowls.

Giles

Pro Bowler
Name
Giles
Having goff run a offense like he did in college could possibly help. But I think it's to late for that now.

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I disagree on the 3rd down play calling. Won't know the reality of that until someone breaks down all the plays using the all 22.

As for getting pass happy - didn't you say that the run game wasn't working? On our last two drives we ran five plays - if we go run/run/run its probably a 3 and out

If we had milked the clock on those runs before punting, the 9ers either have 1 minute to drive or no TOs. Either one would be significant against Mullens, and if our HC really has less faith in the run game than the QB for the most important possession of the game, what does that mean?

Did he coach good enough to win?
Yeah, I suppose if his QB doesn't turn over the ball 3 or 4 times, absolutely.
Did he coach good enough to be above some criticism or at the very least some questioning?
Apparently some of you really think so. Ok. We agree to disagree.

McVay is literally my favorite Rams coach ever. He's right up there with AD99 for me.
There is no turning this into a me vs McVay thing. I love the dude.

And I apologize for saying 5 straight. losses, it is 5 losses overall to the Shanahan 9ers, but its only 4 straight.

Ellard80

Legend
If we had milked the clock on those runs before punting, the 9ers either have 1 minute to drive or no TOs. Either one would be significant against Mullens, and if our HC really has less faith in the run game than the QB for the most important possession of the game, what does that mean?

Did he coach good enough to win?
Yeah, I suppose if his QB doesn't turn over the ball 3 or 4 times, absolutely.
Did he coach good enough to be above some criticism or at the very least some questioning?
Apparently some of you really think so. Ok. We agree to disagree.

McVay is literally my favorite Rams coach ever. He's right up there with AD99 for me.
There is no turning this into a me vs McVay thing. I love the dude.

And I apologize for saying 5 straight. losses, it is 5 losses overall to the Shanahan 9ers, but its only 4 straight.

See the problem I have with your direction in this thread is it seems like you just tried to make it to defend Goff. I feel like you really don't have any real criticism of mcvay. I mean what you wrote above... mcvay should have killed the clock with 3 min left instead of trying to score?

is that a serious critque?

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
It's not the offense. It's not the playcalling. It's the players. The line needs to be better, without that no play caller is a genius. The QB has to be better, without that no play caller is a genius. The WRs need an upgrade at WR3, without that it's easy for the average defense to shut down the top two options. And the RBs need to be better, these guys have been dazed and confused all season long.

We're a defensive team this year. Now next year maybe we see more impact from Akers and Jefferson. But at this point expecting it down the stretch might not be realistic.

Lastly and this has been going on for a long time... The play calling has given us indicators of what McVay thinks about his players. When they're fucking up he tends to concede on third and longs and survive with a punt. That reflects poorly on his QB and his opinion of him, but also the other 10 on the field.

Been saying this and will again... Rams have talent and mental issues on offense. Way too many mental mistakes holding them back on top of some basic lack of plus matchups you need to push top offensive numbers. Hopefully the Rams' brain trust won't get all fucking stupid and alienate McVay thinking it's him because we'll then lose the best thing to happen to this franchise in a long time.