The McVay thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I disagree on the 3rd down play calling. Won't know the reality of that until someone breaks down all the plays using the all 22.

As for getting pass happy - didn't you say that the run game wasn't working? On our last two drives we ran five plays - if we go run/run/run its probably a 3 and out

Goff sucks and McVay doesn't.
Copy. You've been heard loud and clear.

I just want to point out something different for the rest of us who can manage to point our frustration in more than one direction at a time.
You don't have to convince me that Goff was bad yesterday. I know. I watched.
You will have to literally change my mind to convince me that McVay was a bright spot yesterday. He wasn't. Hes lost 5 straight to them. Thats not good enough, is it?

Funny that you use McVays not running the ball at the end as an "aha" but seem to contradict yourself since you thought Goff was terrible, why is McVay trying to let him win the ball with his arm?
See how that works?
I was pounding the table for McVay to use Akers. I was pounding the table to stop running outside zone with Henderson. And I wasn't wrong. Akers made a huge difference. Why not try our top rookie sooner, when the game was getting away from us?
Yeah, the run game was a problem, until they went to Akers. Too little too late. And gaining yards there was less important than leaving Mullens with as little time as possible. But nah, McVay is perfectly fine, nothing for him to change or do better, just Goff, having too much sex and money and pizza and video games... the slacker!

ottoman89

Busch Light slammin, hog farmin, Iowa boy.
Name
Josh Otto
I'm beginning to think that McVay is losing trust in Goff and he's having to close up part of the playbook due to Goff being an absolute turnover machine anymore.

I mean coaches are human too, and see what we see.. and how can you trust Goff right now? He's a huge liability. Lost us the SF game, and certainly didn't help is vs Miami when he threw another pick 6.

I mean, I don't even blame the defense at all for yesterday or the last drive for SF. Felt like they were on the field all damn game. We couldn't convert a 3rd and short to save our damn lives.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I wouldn't trade McV for anyone. Period.

Fisher brought us from an eternity in the depths of Hell into pristine mediocrity and McV has given us four straight years of success and relevancy.

But what's up with those 3rd and short play calls calling low % stuff? GET THE FIRST DOWN. Stay on the field.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Coach is fine. Dude hasn't had a losing season in this time here. All that matters right now.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I'm beginning to think that McVay is losing trust in Goff and he's having to close up part of the playbook due to Goff being an absolute turnover machine anymore.
I think there's some truth to this, which would further emphasize that he knows what he's doing out there...unlike some other HC's that continuously put struggling QB's in a position to fail.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I wouldn't trade McV for anyone. Period.

Fisher brought us from an eternity in the depths of Hell into pristine mediocrity and McV has given us four straight years of success and relevancy.
Amen to that! On our way to 4th straight winning season. Last time that happened? 1983-1986
42 wins (and counting) in only 3 + seasons, compared to the 10 full seasons it took to win 46 games prior!

But what's up with those 3rd and short play calls calling low % stuff? GET THE FIRST DOWN. Stay on the field.
Its incredible, I feel more confident in converting a 2nd or 3rd and 10 than I do a short yardage sitch.

ottoman89

Busch Light slammin, hog farmin, Iowa boy.
Name
Josh Otto
I think there's some truth to this, which would further emphasize that he knows what he's doing out there...unlike some other HC's that continuously put struggling QB's in a position to fail.
And right now, it seems as if no matter what position McVay puts Goff in, he's going to fail.

I'm not quite ready to jump off the Goff bandwagon yet, but my goodness.. what more does a QB need? EXCELLENT coaching staff, solid OL, good weapons and a SOLID run game. And it's not like this is his rookie season. We have to quit saying he's still "young".. at some point this is just who the hell you are.

fearsomefour

Legend
The best game plans in the world don’t matter without execution.
The OL was physically dominated (again by the Whiners) in the run game most of the day.
WRs has trouble getting separation....a direct cause and effect of lack of running game.
QB did not see or hit open receivers multiple times.
Some strange choices on D also.

Ellard80

Legend
McVay needs to be better.
His offense gets in these predictable funks and some teams just seem to know what we want to do when we want to do it.
His play calling on 3rd down hasn't been good enough.
Everybody could see outside zone isn't working, hasn't been working for weeks, but we keep putting our QB in bad spots by running it twice and setting up 3rd and difficults..
He can't keep wasting TOs and using them in weird times.
He literally kept the 9ers alive with a bad TO.
Everyone knows Goff does better on roll outs and in up tempo. How many games do we have to fall behind by two scores before McVay starts calling those. Also, if I can guess what were doing on 3rd down 1/2 the time, thats a problem.
I'm sorry, I love McVay, think he is a great coach and I am glad to have him... that said, it would be cool if while we're all finally "being honest about Goff" maybe we should be "honest" about McVay too?

lol this is the new thing.. it reminds me of bulger vs warner.

yeah mcvay isn't perfect - but he isn't the problem.

IBruce80

Tokyo Ram
We had a rapid rise to the top under McVay, played in the Super Bowl, had the then best RB in the game, arguably the MVP, many comparing that team to the GSOT.

Now, two seasons later, a lot has changed; players have come and gone, and we find ourselves competing hard for the division title and perhaps a play off spot.

I understand it's a bit of a come down.
Yes, the team splutters, frustratingly, at times, SF twice and the Dolphins.
But, we have shown what we are about in plenty of tough games this season.

Goff and McVay are still the men for this team.
Have faith.

Ellard80

Legend
This is a McVay thread. There are umpteen other threads where the points you're making have been discussed ad nauseum.

It doesn't matter what Goff does when evaluating McVay. I'm not interested in judging McVay by Goffs mistakes, just like nobody gives Goff credit for McVays wins. Goff doesn't get to take the blame for McVays time out usage, his predictable and sometimes stale play calling, his 3rd down play calls etc.

But actually this thread is all about Goff and that is why you made it.

…..

Legend
Im sure that's one of the reasons he was so blunt in his pressy. As bad as it was on offense without the turnovers we still win.
Exactly. Im not saying theres ryhme or reason. It just is. Wierd shit happens and the end result is going to eat away at that man until we play them again.

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
But actually this thread is all about Goff and that is why you made it.

No, its really not.
I made it because if we are going to get real, let's get real.

BTW- You posted something serious, though off the mark, so I'll show you basic respect and not insult your comment with some punk ass laugh emoji.
I'm trying to only do that to @MachS because thats our thing now. Some sort of lame ass game we like to play.

I'm old school I guess but I still don't believe in getting away with being rude just because I have the anonymity of the internet to protect me. I don't laugh in peoples face in real life when they are serious and its a bitch move here, too.
But, that's just like my opinion, man.

Tano

Legend
I feel about Mcvay the same I do with Goff. I am damn glad they are Rams. At the end of the day wins are what counts. There is going to be an ebb and flow to offensive productivity every year due to injuries, personnel change and schedule.

These guys will never be perfect and it's best to accept that. They will get outcoached or outplayed at times. Overall they are really good at what they do though. That is why we are a very successful team thus far with these two.

Having said that, there is some growing process both will go through, if we are lucky enough to see them here for a decade or two. Hopefully we don't run them out of town when they have down years. We did this with Warner and Martz and got to deal with the Linehan, Spags, Fisher years.

We didn't have a playoff game for 13 YEARS!! Until 2017 when Goff and Mcvay had their first full season. Some of you have a short memory how hard it is to find a franchise coach and QB.

We could question Mcvay every game really. But he always seems to find ways to keep our team at a high overall winning percentage.

I will offer a few critiques from yesterday though.

First, roll the QB out more. Goff is the best in the NFL at this. More importantly, it offers some desirable options against a tough defense. Getting out of the pocket allows for throwing the ball away if everything is covered. It also forces the Niners to play the whole field. It also gives Goff a clear view of the field on one side away from those pesky dropping DL an Linebackers that have been hard to see. It also opens up an option for him to pick up some yards and opens the run game when its defended. I don't understand why he goes away from it when we used it vs the Niners for 30 points last year.

Second, stop the predictable plays and the 3rd and 1 runs vs a Niners type defense. That kills too many drives.

Third, get the timeouts figured out. If Jefferson doesn't screw up the punt coverage and Mcvay doesn't help the Niners with stopping the clock, there is no way they kick a FG at the end yesterday.
I was wondering why McVay was calling time outs for SF

Unless he was positive we were going to stop SF on 3rd and 4th down - all it did was help them get into field position for a field goal.

And Ramsey ..... what the hell were you thinking

A 45 yard field goal is much harder than a 40 yard field goal

Tano

Legend
The best game plans in the world don’t matter without execution.
The OL was physically dominated (again by the Whiners) in the run game most of the day.
WRs has trouble getting separation....a direct cause and effect of lack of running game.
QB did not see or hit open receivers multiple times.
Some strange choices on D also.
Deebo straight out killed us.

After his 5th catch I would have either put Ramsey on him or put a spy on him (especially on second and long) to help out Williams.

I love Darius but he doesn't quite have the speed to keep up with Deebo.

sjm1582002

Wanted everywhere but welcome nowhere
The Rams running game is top 10 and has out produced the ones in league leaders KC, GB, Buff, or Pitt and is right behind NO's.

The Rams D is top flight, if not the best in the league.

Yet we lost twice to a >.500 team (with a backup QB on the second go around) and to a .500 team with a rookie QB making their very first start.

Never heard McVay call out a player like he just did to Goff.

I will be surprised if we don't see some starting caliber QB's brought in through trade or FA during the offseason.

In the past, when McVay sees a player or coaching deficiency on the team, (hello TG and WP) he's taken prompt action to remedy the situation. Probably one of the reasons he's been so successful.

fearsomefour

Legend
The Rams running game is top 10 and has out produced the ones in league leaders KC, GB, Buff, or Pitt and is right behind NO's.

The Rams D is top flight, if not the best in the league.

Yet we lost twice to a >.500 team (with a backup QB on the second go around) and to a .500 team with a rookie QB making their very first start.

Never heard McVay call out a player like he just did to Goff.

I will be surprised if we don't see some starting caliber QB's brought in through trade or FA during the offseason.

In the past, when McVay sees a player or coaching deficiency on the team, (hello TG and WP) he's taken prompt action to remedy the situation. Probably one of the reasons he's been so successful.
Are there any starting caliber QBs our there?
Rams can’t dump Goff.
The Rams can’t afford an expensive back up.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
one reason we lost is that without big Whit and Saffold this offensive line is just ordinary, barely
train

I call fake news,or BS. Goff did the same in Miami with Whitworth by holding onto the ball & bad turnovers.

I know it’s part of the game & players don’t play as well all the time.

Brown had the first turnover which changed the whole complex of the game.Mcvay had a great 3rd dwn call to Malcom,then the next play Brown fumbles after gaming 6.

You go back & look at Henderson & he runs to the hole to the right instead of the left for 3 yards.You look at Akers big run if he goes right it’s for 3 yards as well.
Jared Goff is slow,but athletic. When he roles out the play is basically over unless it is designed or he gets far enough past the defender.His Idle Joe Montana had Great foot work & could create space on the role out & would get depth by stopping and setting his feet. The defender would over run him or could not stop him from looking down the field.

McVays biggest mistake of all was on the last drive he rushed things & gave SF a chance to win the game. Johnny Hecker punted the ball out of the end zone as well. Then a big play by Debo.

To say the offensive line didn’t play good enough to win is crazy. Goff had enough time to throw on his fumble.Noteboom stopped the outside rush & has trouble containing his his blocks after first contact.
Big Rob gave up a Sack were he has to be better & stronger than that,but this offensive line is only going to get better over time.I say the Blocking Scheme by Kromer or McVay(Connoly)
is messed up. Big Rob on a 3-1 is looking to block at the 2nd level,leaving Higbee to block the DE.If he just stays in his gap it’s a easy first down without a problem.To me that is the problem. The OL is steady,but the concept is not. I go back to the Zero defense Miami was running.The Rams could not figure it out.

Austin Blythe has played well,except he is very expandable.The Rams have so much talent.