The Johnny Manziel Thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/05/08/johnny-manziel-hospitalized-texas-prescription-medication

Johnny Manziel Hospitalized in Texas Over Prescription Medication
By NIHAL KOLUR

Former Cleveland Browns quarterback Johnny Manziel was hospitalized in Texas on Monday night, TMZ Sports reports.

Manziel's representatives said the 25-year-old had a poor reaction to an adjustment in his prescription (the exact prescription was not disclosed), but suffered no long-term effects and headed home after a short sting in the hospital.

Manziel was admitted to a hospital in Humble, Texas and had been in the area to participate in a golf tournament hosted by Mike Evans, his former Texas A&M teammate.

Manziel has been attempting a comeback to the NFL and recently admitted that he is bipolar on "Good Morning America."

“I am taking medication for bipolar, and I am working to try to make sure I don’t fall back into any type of depression, because I know where that leads me and I know how slippery a slope that is for me,” Manziel said.

Manziel hasn't played in the NFL since 2015, when domestic violence allegations and drug use harmed his career. The former Heisman Trophy winner may head to the CFL, as the Hamilton Tiger-Cats currently hold the rights to negotiate with him.

dang

Legend
And 3...2...1 here comes the media flurry. I wonder how Todd Marinovich is doing?

ReekofRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Reek
And 3...2...1 here comes the media flurry. I wonder how Todd Marinovich is doing?
He has his own art gallery in Orange county that includes some of own original pieces and is quite wealthy, as his pieces sells at great value.
He hated football, but his father pushed him, thus the drug, drinking, and eventually the gambling problem. Having said that, there is no excuse for the bad choices he made in life. But at least for now, it appears he has his act together.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Wow! Will the issues never end with this guy?:death:

From people I know on Bipolar meds, it is difficult to get the dosage quite right, and needs change over time so it has to be frequently tinkered with. Going into the hospital for a few hours a couple times a year is not in the least unusual, and has nothing to do with the patient having made a mistake or abusing drugs or anything like that.

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
I work in the health care field, this story seems normal & 100% agree w/ @Akrasian
getting the right dosage is a tricky thing.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
From people I know on Bipolar meds, it is difficult to get the dosage quite right, and needs change over time so it has to be frequently tinkered with. Going into the hospital for a few hours a couple times a year is not in the least unusual, and has nothing to do with the patient having made a mistake or abusing drugs or anything like that.
Great post.
And while this may be all that it is, if Manziel is ever truly going to have another chance, he will have to live with the over-scrutiny of his actions.
Bi-polar folks who take medication for it, are committing to a lifetime of medication. There is no cure, and missing meds or wrong dosage can have catastrophic consequences. If he truly checked himself in for the reasons you stated, good on him

Adi

Pro Bowler
Name
Adi
Cocaine is hell of a drug, that said I hope he figures it out and betters himself

One of my favorite college players ever to watch . He won the Heisman as a freshman , he was unatoppable.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/05/19/johnny-manziel-says-hes-heading-to-the-cfl/

Johnny Manziel says he’s heading to the CFL
Posted by Michael David Smith on May 19, 2018

gettyimages-502434270-e1526741156906.jpg

Getty Images

Johnny Manziel’s next stop will be the Canadian Football League.

Manziel, the former Browns draft bust, said in a video distributed by Barstool Sports that he is heading to Canada.

“I am formally signing in the CFL,” he said. “I have decided to sign with the Hamilton Tiger-Cats. I’ll be up here for it looks like two years. I’ll be getting back to playing ball. That’s what I want to do.”

Manziel also said he will have a formal partnership with Barstool Sports in which he’ll do a regular podcast that documents his time in Canada.

CFL rules require a two-year contract, so Hamilton will have Manziel’s rights in 2018 and 2019, and the earliest Manziel could get back to the NFL would be late in the 2019 season, which likely means it would be 2020 at the earliest.

Of course, Manziel’s other option was probably never to play in the NFL again: He wasn’t drawing any NFL interest. If he has two good years in the CFL, perhaps he will.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
I think Johnny suffers from "afluenza" ... ..

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The CFL is a good choice for him - both as a way of showing he can handle the day to day stuff, and to show off his skills in the more open, wider fields of play they have up there. Maybe he'll get a NFL chance in 2020 - or maybe he'll find that he fits in well in the CFL, and wants to stay. Or, of course, maybe he washes out there and never plays football again.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/05/19/manziel-commits-to-cfl-for-two-years/

Manziel commits to CFL for two years
Posted by Mike Florio on May 19, 2018

Johnny Manziel had a tough decision to make regarding the future of his football career. Play right away in Canada, but commit for two seasons, or wait until February and play for the Alliance of American Football, with an immediate path to the NFL.

Manziel opted to played now, even if it meant committing to the CFL through the conclusion of its 2019 season. Per a source with knowledge of the situation, Manziel signed the standard CFL deal, which gives the Hamilton Tiger-Cats a one-year commitment and an option for a second.

This doesn’t mean the two-year rule won’t change. It also doesn’t mean it will, but the possibility lingers that the CFL will react to the emerging American developmental leagues (the Spring League, the Alliance of American Football, and the XFL) by providing greater roster flexibility in the hopes of getting players to choose to play in Canada.

Even if Manziel were to secure the ability to leave the CFL after one year, it doesn’t mean he would. If the choice comes down to playing in Canada or simply being on a roster in the NFL, Manziel possibly would decide to continue to stay in the league where he gets to actually play the game. (He also could choose, if he ends up with the ability to exit the CFL after one year, to spend 2018 in Canada and early 2019 with the AAF.)

Now, the challenge for Manziel will be to earn his way onto the field, and then to show that he can perform on a week-in and week-out basis in a professional league where the talent isn’t that much worse than the NFL — and where the offense has only three plays to go 10 yards.

Manziel still has a long way to go to get back to the NFL as a starting quarterback, but #ComebackSZN continues. Where it ultimately leads remains to be seen.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Manziel also said he will have a formal partnership with Barstool Sports in which he’ll do a regular podcast that documents his time in Canada.

LOL can't make that shit up..........a perfect match for each other.

TSFH Fan

Epic Music Guy
I have decided to sign with the Hamilton Tiger-Cats.

Decided to Wiki the team.
June Jones is the head coach, so I guess that means run and shoot.
Oh hell, the defensive coordinator is THE Jerry Glanville! Glad to know that he's still alive. Didn't realize he's still coaching. He'll probably be on Barstool for a couple.
glanville_jerry.jpg

Former Ducks Jeremiah Masoli (starter) and Vernon Adams, Jr. are on the QB depth chart.

-----------
Someone mentioned Marinovich?
From April 2, 2018
http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/23006114/former-nfl-qb-todd-marinovich-arrested-again-california

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Decided to Wiki the team.
June Jones is the head coach, so I guess that means run and shoot.
Oh hell, the defensive coordinator is THE Jerry Glanville! Glad to know that he's still alive.

I would have guessed BOTH had passed away.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/05/24/n...odell-kirk-cousins-vikings-johnny-manziel-cfl

By ALBERT BREER

There’s a funny thing you figure out about Johnny Manziel when you ask the guys who coached him and played with him about him: They all seem to like him.

That doesn’t absolve him from the way he handled the first two years of his NFL career. It’s certainly not to trivialize the domestic situation involving an ex-girlfriend. But it is a window into the kind of chance he’ll have of eventually getting back to the NFL, since his ability to win over people will matter.

And here’s the other thing: A lot of guys seem to think he’ll make it back there. Which brings us to our Lesson of the Week, which is that in the NFL your second chances are a function of talent.

Part of the equation in Adrian Peterson and Greg Hardy getting another shot was that both were still at an elite level, just as part of Ray Rice never getting back into the league was that he wasn’t nearly the player he had been. The first thing Manziel will have to do in Canada is show talent, and the guys I know that have worked with him believe that piece is in place.

“He was way smarter than people give him credit for, in terms of football knowledge,” said one of those guys. “He gets the ball out of his hand, he can extend plays, all those things you’re looking for in an NFL quarterback, he has. … I have no qualms about Johnny Manziel the player. I have qualms about Johnny Manziel the person.”

And that’s where we’ll put together the pieces that it will take for him to find his path back into the NFL after he serves out his two-year commitment in Canada. The stuff I heard in calling around this week mirrored a conversation I had with ex-Browns coach Mike Pettine during Manziel’s final weeks as a player in 2015. This was in the wake after the incident with his then-girlfriend, and ahead of his first start that year.

“What happened off the field is unfortunate,” Pettine said. “It’s still lingering, we’re waiting to hear from the league. But from the standpoint where I can evaluate him, from the moment he steps in the building to the moment he leaves, he’s very professional. He’s all about football.”

And that was just it. Manziel had found ways, at times, to fool those around him that he was past his problems by being the good soldier in the building. You’d hear them, like you do now in asking about it, say that they weren’t totally sure about what was happening afterhours, but that Manziel was great when he was clocked in to the team’s facility.

This is all also why I’d proceed with caution in assuming he’s vanquished his demons. We have heard it before, which is why there are still plenty of people in the NFL who don’t trust he’s changed. Later in that conversation with Pettine, he explained that Manziel was a different person coming out of rehab.

“This year, he’s into it,” Pettine said then. “I think he knows. He said all the right things when he got out of rehab and talked about it, how he felt like he let everybody down. He knows he has a long way to go and it’s a process, but he said that. That was always our thing with Johnny: He said the right things, but then he didn’t necessarily do them. Now, that’s different.”

It turned out it wasn’t different. Will it be this time around? Manziel’s has to prove diligent in studying for, say, the Montreal Alouettes like he would the Pittsburgh Steelers, and he has to keep his nose clean. And he has to demonstrate that this isn’t the same old story off the field, which will be tougher for him to pull off since he’s fooled people before.

As for the on-field piece, I think there’s still a little something there. His ability to show that will go a long way to dictating how far #ComebackSZN takes him.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
For those that are interested he had his first CFL action on Friday night. His team got beat down, guess that means all their players suck right? Sorry couldn't resist. He ended up 9/11 for 80 yards a long of 21 and ran twice for 10 yards. He was also sacked at least once, the team was sacked twice.