The Goff-season Thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
Dumped Kurt, who had a huge career rennaissance a few years later with AZ

Seven years later. Not a few.

Certainly much of what you wrote was accurate. However, Warner’s numbers over his final two years with the Rams, and next four with the Giants (1) and Cardinals (3) were awful.

I checked the numbers over that six-year-period just to see if I remembered correctly.

42 starts out 96 games, with a 13-29 W/L record. 54 TDS vs 47 interceptions.

Then in his final two seasons, Warner terrific, AZ was a playoff team and went to a Super Bowl.

Despite the speculation that McVay may be going down the same path as Martz, don’t think this is a comparable situation.

Shuie3225

Starter
There's no reasoning with someone who refuses to see the forest thru the trees. McVay clearly took responsibility, and ultimately the players need to execute. However, the flaw which was never addressed was why they didnt just focus on the 1st down instead of the home run. That was biggest issue. They already had a TD called back and a 1st down nullified. And of course the option to kick a game tying 54 yard FG was discarded by the HC. No, it was not a failure on Goff

When McVay says we called the right play, "we just need to progress there." Thats not him taking the blame at all. Its him saying the QB didn't do his job. No one can even argue it, there's no speculation, you can watch the press conference I provided.

"We made the right call vs their look" meaning McVay did HIS job and called the correct play vs man coverage.."we just need to progress there." That means Goff didn't come off his first read and continue through the progression. Thats what that sentence means. His 2nd read was a short crosser.

Weird hill to die on. Theres a lot of blame to be put on McVay..no doubt about it. But def not the last two plays vs the Jets.

UKram

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yea but how many people on here are saying Goff is outright a bad quarterback? I want him on the colts cause I think he can succeed there and I want him do do well.
I know it's a business and we need to do what's best for the rams but we understandably feel loyalty and attachment to certain players sometimes. So I'm not sure there is a lot of people in this room that deserve an "I told you so." I think most people think Goff is a good qb and can succeed in the right environment. I hope it's the Colts. Now if he was traded to the bears I'd worry about him. No matter where he goes and I probably said this in at least in a half dozen posts I will root for him 1000% unless he is playing us or affects us like our playoff chances or something of that ilk. What he did for the rams and how he helped us get back to at least being a strong organisation shouldn't be forgotten or shit on. He will always be a ram to me.
That said and sentiments aside this team here as currently constituted might have gone as far as they can go with Goff. That's what it seems the organisation thinks and a lot of posters. By no means though should Goff be disrespected or downplayed.
I keep saying I don't like these people that think Goff is a salary dump. What??? Yea no he has value and his contract is pretty good for the accquiring team and he comes with some pedigree. So no need for the "I told you so" dude. That works both ways and a lot of the posters that said they thought it was time to move on can all be saying "I told you so" now. I don't see anyone doing that though because I believe most of us respect the kid even the ones that truly don't like him for whatever reason.
This is 100% bs ... this is like the married guy at the bar who goes my wife is amazing and hot but she would do so much better elsewhere married to another dude because that hotter looking chick might be up for a knee trembler

It’s fine if you want to move on from gif just fucking own it ... because Aaron Donald
Would do amazing on any other team ... but I don’t want him to go anywhere either .. I’d you were as a big a fan of goff as you make out you wouldn’t have criticised half as much as you have and you wouldn’t want him
Leaving

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
When McVay says we called the right play, "we just need to progress there." Thats not him taking the blame at all. Its him saying the QB didn't do his job. No one can even argue it, there's no speculation, you can watch the press conference I provided.

"We made the right call vs their look" meaning McVay did HIS job and called the correct play vs man coverage.."we just need to progress there." That means Goff didn't come off his first read and continue through the progression. Thats what that sentence means. His 2nd read was a short crosser.

Weird hill to die on. Theres a lot of blame to be put on McVay..no doubt about it. But def not the last two plays vs the Jets.
Quote the entire thing, not just the part you like. I know the press conference well, we beat that horse to death. You’re not being accurate here

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
I think that IF McVay has decided Goff is holding him back and IF the Rams were to take your approach they would end up losing McVay. Which to me is the worst of all the potential results.
I love McVay, but believe he still has some growing to do.
He's got a tough job.

Either way. We're lucky to have him.

Shuie3225

Starter
Quote the entire thing, not just the part you like. I know the press conference well, we beat that horse to death. You’re not being accurate here

Lol man I know youre upset about Goff being potentially traded, but like I said this is a weird hill to die on.

But here's the full quote for you buddy:

"we had some looks we felt that had some good isolation. But we clearly gotta be able to progress there."

"Looks" plural.. meaning multiple options in the route combo. "Clearly gotta be able to progress there".. meaning get off your first read and get through the progression.

Its not rocket science. He started calling out Goff in the media long before the Jets game.

payote75

Hall of Fame
Name
Payote75
This is 100% bs ... this is like the married guy at the bar who goes my wife is amazing and hot but she would do so much better elsewhere married to another dude because that hotter looking chick might be up for a knee trembler

It’s fine if you want to move on from gif just fucking own it ... because Aaron Donald
Would do amazing on any other team ... but I don’t want him to go anywhere either .. I’d you were as a big a fan of goff as you make out you wouldn’t have criticised half as much as you have and you wouldn’t want him
Leaving

Ok first I have criticized and I have complimented. I been saying over and over he holds value. I believe right in that post that you so angrily replied too.
Let me say you feel strongly I get it however nothing I'm saying is wrong love the kid appreciate what he did but we have out grown the shoes time for a new pair.
You can't win with you. Those are my feelings towards Goff. You shouldn't be in the business of just spewing venom. I feel how I feel. I want the kid to do well, I wish him well, I will root for him, I want him in a good situation if at all possible, and I thank him for what he has helped do for this franchise it's been a group effort but he has been a big part of that group. So all do respect don't tell me how I feel that is bullshit.
On to that other statement see I'm not in lala land you cannot put Goff in the same sentence as Donald. Those are two different animals way different classes that's a fact.

I do own it. I'm saying it over and over. However I'm also sticking to what I've always said as well he has tools he is a good to very good qb but his time here might be done.
You can't be so blind or so bitter to not have read what I wrote. You just focus on the Goff negatives not the positives that people put out there.
It's ok to like or love a player but no player is above criticism and I know Goff takes more than his fair share. Geezez nothing I said in my previous post was diabolical or hateful. I've been repeating the same shit for days. You just want to crucify people with an " I told you so" for no reason and attack anyone that date questions Goff.

Like if Goff left and sucked would I be petty enough to come back here and be like told you so he sucked.
No cause he didn't suck for us all the time and I don't wait for people's failure just to prove a point.
If your hurting cause Goff may be traded then just say it. If he is your favourite player of all time that's ok we are all entitled but don't do that man it's shitty. Read the post again tell me what I said was harsh or bad or hateful. Ask me a question I will give you an answer. Oh and I wasn't saying he would do better anywhere cause I don't know that. What I do know is football and Goff is a Pocket passer and Indy's line is a whole lot better than ours so I'd hope he would go there rather then a team like The Washington Football Team.

Haven't you done nothing but complain about our line? So wouldn't you want him to go somewhere where he has what he needs and be successful?

I didn't say I wanted Goff to go fly like a bird be better somewhere else cause we aren't good and I want better for you that's more along your bar and wife analogy so way off. I'm saying thank you and I wish you success no matter where you go and I will always keep an eye on him cause he a true blue ram. What the problem?

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Lol man I know youre upset about Goff being potentially traded, but like I said this is a weird hill to die on.
This is what's upsetting people honestly. Every discussion from somebody not bashing Jared is being spun into something else by different people for some reason and it's really old.

It's not upset about Goff maybe being traded.

It's upset that the Rams yet again signed a player early to a big contract extension and then before the deal even kicks in trade or cut that player and screw with our salary cap. That's bad management that people are upset with.

It's people trying to convince us that Stafford or Wolford or Minshew or Darnold (I forget the other names brought up sorry) are an upgrade over Jared.

It's people upset that these and other opinions are being lied about and twisted in some game by others.

It's games being played by people bringing up that others hoped for the best with players who didn't or can't cut it in some childish game.

This is going to be a long wait until the new league year begins. And the way some people on here are acting and attacking people is going to get extremely toxic because of childish games.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Let's be honest, assuming Stafford goes to the 49ers and Watson to the Dolphins, the following teams all have a very good reason to want Goff:
Washington
Indianapolis
New England
Denver
Chicago
Carolina

Now, not all these teams will be interested, but I guarantee some will be. If y'all want to see how bad life after Goff can be, let's take a look at Denver's roster outside of the QB position:
HB: Melvin Gordon/Phillip Lindsey
WR: Courtland Sutton
WR: Jerry Jeudy
WR: K.J. Hamler
TE: Noah Fant
TE: Albert Okwuegbunam
LT: Garrett Bolles
LG: Dalton Risner
C: Lloyd Cushenberry
RG: Graham Glasgow
RT: Ja'Wuan James

Granted, they had some injuries and James opted out this year. But that is a fucking stacked offense. You're picking 9th in the Draft. You have yourself a fucking stacked offense but are likely out of the running of the top 3 QBs (Lawrence, Wilson, and Fields). You're Vic Fangio, and you're coaching for your job. You have a good OC in Pat Shurmur. Why would you not talk to the Rams about Jared Goff?

And how could this demonstrate how bad life after Goff can be? Because if we start a JAG at QB (like Drew Lock has been, frankly), we could very well end up a mediocre to below average team like Denver.

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
I find it very strange that a playoff team, that was a defensive laps away from playing in the conference championship game, against a team that they had already beaten this year, would be willing to tear the team apart and trade their starting QB and possibly go with an unproven backup?

Anyone else confused?

ottoman89

Busch Light slammin, hog farmin, Iowa boy.
Name
Josh Otto
I find it very strange that a playoff team, that was a defensive laps away from playing in the conference championship game, against a team that they had already beaten this year, would be willing to tear the team apart and trade their starting QB and possibly go with an unproven backup?

Anyone else confused?
Yeah, we're all confused. That's why to me something had to have happened behind the scenes or this has been building for awhile.

We will never know why or what caused this divorce.

Bearrister

Rookie
Yeah, we're all confused. That's why to me something had to have happened behind the scenes or this has been building for awhile.

Yeah and going back full circle to the beginning of this whole thread... we almost forget that Goff played solid in the GB game. It was the defense that unexpectedly was a let-down. Goff and the offense got some key drives that kept it a game after the Packers scored TD's (notably, when they scored right before HT in response to a Packers TD). That's what caught everyone off guard about the lukewarm response from McVay - in normal circumstances he would've praised Goff's tenacity to play well on the road in the cold (an environment he historically hadn't played well in). I would've thought that his performance in the Packer game combined with the Seahawks game would've given some glimmer of hope; instead, it looks like it was "too little too late" for McVay and Snead. Their minds were already made up.

Edit: I should also add that game looked like it was on the verge of being a blowout at several junctures, but thankfully Goff was able to lead key scoring drives that kept the Rams in the game.

Last edited:

jacktheripper85

Starter

I’d say it’s pretty obvious that what happened is McVay isn’t happy with the time his $35MM a year QB is putting in.

Based on his comments after the Dolphin game, Jets game and his and Sneads after the season they are pretty fed up with him. And believe me you can bet they’ve been talking about this with Goff for awhile because you don’t escalate and orchestrate these comments in the press unless you’ve tried everything else to change his behavior.

Snead and McVay have been around a while and don’t have a track record of doing this to players-as a matter of fact they do just the opposite and take the blame. On top of that McVay’s got a whole roster of other players to worry about and FAs to attract. Due to that he’s not going to throw Goff under a bus unless there is something there. Heck McVay may be hearing shit from the other coaches or players themselves about Goff’s work ethic-probably is.

All I’ll say on the matter is that I’ve been watching football for a long time and this is one of the most unique situations I’ve ever witnessed. Can’t believe how quickly this relationship seems to have disintegrated.

ottoman89

Busch Light slammin, hog farmin, Iowa boy.
Name
Josh Otto
I’d say it’s pretty obvious that what happened is McVay isn’t happy with the time his $35MM a year QB is putting in.

Based on his comments after the Dolphin game, Jets game and his and Sneads after the season they are pretty fed up with him. And believe me you can bet they’ve been talking about this with Goff for awhile because you don’t escalate and orchestrate these comments in the press unless you’ve tried everything else to change his behavior.

Snead and McVay have been around a while and don’t have a track record of doing this to players-as a matter of fact they do just the opposite and take the blame. On top of that McVay’s got a whole roster of other players to worry about and FAs to attract. Due to that he’s not going to throw Goff under a bus unless there is something there. Heck McVay may be hearing shit from the other coaches or players themselves about Goff’s work ethic-probably is.

All I’ll say on the matter is that I’ve been watching football for a long time and this is one of the most unique situations I’ve ever witnessed. Can’t believe how quickly this relationship seems to have disintegrated.
That's now I feel, COMPLETELY.

Bearrister

Rookie
It's as good of an assumption as any other.

Exactly - we don't know what caused this rapid deterioration. We can only speculate. Let's just be careful about accepting our theories or speculation for "fact", lest this gets repeated throughout this board as if they're actually confirmed facts.

jacktheripper85

Starter
Exactly - we don't know what caused this rapid deterioration. We can only speculate. Let's just be careful about accepting our theories or speculation for "fact", lest this gets repeated throughout this board as if they're actually confirmed facts.

As much as I’d say it’s speculation it’s also just common sense.