The befuddling belief in LA Rams newest tight end Jacob Harris

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

The befuddling belief in LA Rams newest tight end Jacob Harris​

The LA Rams have built a roster around going top shelf for stars, and bottom shelf for bargains. Even though the team has a fair share of the middle shelf talent, capable starting players who can deliver quality starts, but whose names never enter Pro Bowl discussion, it’s the extremes that command the headlines of Los Angeles.

The luster of an NFL elite player can be addictive and mesmerizing. It creates an effect on the rest of the squad of elevating their play and perhaps giving teammates the chance to produce at the highest level of their careers. We cite that aura of positive influence on the LA Rams as the Aaron Donald effect. So when it comes down to evaluating talent, for many players who could be considered for a role with the team, it’s not based on their virtues alone, but how well that person might play in the company of AD.

And that’s not fair to either player. But it’s so tempting to do.

Now the LA Rams have added new veteran quarterback Matthew Stafford, and before he has thrown one regulating NFL pass for the LA Rams, the temptation to apply that same effect upon the receivers in the room is equally as tempting. Robert Woods, Cooper Kupp, Tyler Higbee, and even Van Jefferson could enjoy career-high seasons. Then again, they may not. It’s tough to say, simply because we can’t truly know how well Stafford will play in HC Sean McVay’s offense.

But the coaches are hinting so far. Players’ jaws are dropping. Post-practice interviews seem to have a skip to them. The offense has been reportedly ‘holding their own.’ against the defense this year in training camp. All positives chunks of coal to throw into the preseason furnace. All bits of fuel to burn the optimism white-hot for this season. All bits of data to digest, analyze, and theorize about the 2021 NFL season.

Sky’s the limit skyscraper

Complicating all of that is the matter of a young man with the sky-is-the-limit potential but incredibly light football experience in the form of 6-foot-5 219-pound tight end Jacob Harris. He can make plays that flash All-Pro potential. Then, just as suddenly, he can appear to be a guy who truly won’t make the roster. The challenge right now is that he is neither, and yet he is both.

View: https://twitter.com/ramsnfl/status/1428040346798235654?s=21

Let’s back it up a moment.

The young man who was drafted by the LA Rams with the 141st pick of the 2021 NFL Draft was chosen a bit higher than his fifth-round grande. But he is a very tall, fast, and athletic target out of the University of Central Florida (UCF) who walked onto the football team in 2017. He was a special teams ace in 2018 and finally latched on as a bona fide offensive weapon in 2019. He further flexed his muscle on offense in 2020 before entering the 2021 NFL Draft.

Due to his size, strength, power, and athleticism, it is hard to tell how much of Harris’ sudden success has to do with his football acumen, and how much is simply due to the fact that he was so much bigger stronger, and faster than the competition in college football. That disparity of his talent to that of the competition will narrow considerably in the NFL. Still, the Rams coaching staff, and in particular, Coach McVay believes in Harris’ ability to achieve his full NFL potential.

He is already appearing to be leaning towards a successful NFL career, albeit it is far too early to conclude it is a sure thing. But he is starting to look the part of an NFL receiver (although his tight end blocking skills are nothing to cheer about just yet.). He was targeted seven times against the LA Chargers (even during the time when they played starters on defense). He caught four passes for 43 yards, enough to lead the receivers on the day.

Rams’ red zone O can really shine with Harris

Hey, he’s inexperienced. He’s raw. And he’s young. All of that combined comes to one conclusion. He will get better. How much better is up to each of us to decide. Then, it will be up to him and the LA Rams to deliver. How quickly depends on a number of factors.

One element that is certainly necessary and is very present is opportunity. With the departure of Gerald Everett to free agency, and the disappointing production of Brycen Hopkins so far, the LA Rams need someone to rise through the ranks at the tight end position. And with Jacob Harris, the coaching staff finds itself with a lump of NFL quality clay that they can shape and mold however they see fit. Reports from McVay suggest that Harris is incredibly adept and quick at absorbing and learning the Rams role for him.

Eventually, he will need to demonstrate all of that acquired knowledge, and the LA Rams already have the spot reserved for him. The coaches want to add some oomph to the red zone offense, and with running back Cam Akers going down, it will likely need to come from the passing game. Due to the lack of maneuverability, the offense will need to place taller targets into the mix, as well as players who can win contested catches. Harris will do nicely in both categories when he fully develops.

And there’s the rub. The if’s and buts. Jacob Harris is not fully developed. From what we’ve seen in the past, the cards are stacked against Harris to get many snaps in this offense this year. He’s a rookie. He’s very raw. And he is learning a brand new position. But then there is the flip side.

He can be deadly effective as a target in the red zone. Even if he is not a primary target, his presence on the football field will force coverage his way. Besides, will the Matthew-Stafford-Effect buoy his production? Well, wait a darned minute. We said we wouldn’t consider Matthew Stafford in judging Harris’ potential in the Rams’ offense this year. But it’s nearly impossible not to. They have the potential to become a high-scoring tandem this season. So until they prove that they aren’t, why not just go with it for now?

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I didn't much like the Jacob Harris pick when we made it. I was dead wrong and am not afraid to admit it. He needs work. I would recommend people keep their expectations in check in the short term. But long term, I think Jacob Harris has "it." I think he's a guy who can and will develop into a real weapon.

LOURam85

Rookie
Tevon had boards for hands. Balls right to him would just bounce off his hands. TuTu is a way better football player. Problem is will he hold up. I think they have to be smarter with the type of routes he runs. Keep him on the outside and when he does cut in, because he needs to keep them guessing, make sure there are clearing routes so he has time to make a move and doesn't get his clock cleaned.
Exactly remember those routes Bruce and holt use to run on the outside and get out of bounds or get down quick… if Atwell wants to. Hold up better be a lot of those routes and he better get down when he see multiple defenders

RamsSince1969

Ram It, Do You Know How To Ram It, Ram It
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Webster's Dictionary "Befuddling" Description: "The Rams picking the best defensive player in the NFL with the 13th pick and in the same draft, picking a disappointing Greg Robinson with the the 2nd overall pick."

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
As a few have mentioned on here... Tutu is not Tavon. Tutu can't take a handoff the same way Tavon could, IMO. Sure, you can use him on jets, but I wouldn't put him in the backfield. And Tavon could never track a deep ball the way Tutu can... or catch away from his body the way Tutu can. They're both small and explosive.. but significantly different football players.

Everett was a solid player, for the most part. Harris is much more of a big WR than TE, to me. Everett could break tackles, as well as run. I don't see Harris breaking many tackles, but it looks like he can go up and get the ball in a way that Everett couldn't.

oldnotdead

Legend
YAWN
i simply consider the source. It's an overhyped blog nothing more. Most of the people on this board know more about NFL football than what is put out in that blog. He also doesn't seem to follow the Rams despite the name of the blog as he shows little knowledge of the players. Most of what comes out of that blog are re-hashed stuff he reads out of other blogs or media sources. There are no "sources" or even deep dives into things. If he had he would understand the excitement over Harris and Rochell. Tutu has a long long way to go to become the Ram's next Brandin Cooks.

Ramblinfan is a hack. Just follow Jourdan who is the real deal.

Both Harris and Rochell are flashing the promise of potential greatness. For both to be picked out of the same draft by the same team is amazing. They both could end up franchise level players.

Also, don't believe the crap from PFF. They rated Evans as the top offensive player! Anyone watching the game knows that's BS. Once again proving they don't know how to grade the NFL as their matrix is for soccer. PFF is for hacks like Ramblinfan.

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
I'm still thinking he'll fall somewhere 500-800 yards which is probably very kool-aidish.
500-800 yards for Harris seems overly optimistic. Mundt will probably get more snaps than Harris, just because Harris is so raw... right?

I think a more reasonable expectation for Harris would be on pace with Ike Bruce's rookie year, of 272 yards. Then he'd be on track for 1,781 yards in year two.

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Putting him with the wideouts is a good sign. Means he's going to be running a lot of their patterns to include maybe some deep clearouts which, with 9 at QB, are gonna translate.

MachS

Hall of Fame
As a few have mentioned on here... Tutu is not Tavon. Tutu can't take a handoff the same way Tavon could, IMO. Sure, you can use him on jets, but I wouldn't put him in the backfield. And Tavon could never track a deep ball the way Tutu can... or catch away from his body the way Tutu can. They're both small and explosive.. but significantly different football players.

Everett was a solid player, for the most part. Harris is much more of a big WR than TE, to me. Everett could break tackles, as well as run. I don't see Harris breaking many tackles, but it looks like he can go up and get the ball in a way that Everett couldn't.
Yea I dont think Tutu has the shiftiness and elusiveness in space that Tavon had. Tavon almost always made the first guy miss and was a nightmare in the open field. Which makes sense because most of his life he was a RB. And thats why his route running and hands were so bad because it was never a focus.

Whereas Tutu is a natural receiver, runs great routes and gets separation, has soft but strong hands and can make contested catches. They're just different players overall. People want to compare them because of the similar size and speed, but I want my WRs to be able to run good routes, get open, and catch the ball. That's what's important. And Tutu checks those boxes.

We just need to keep him healthy so he can keep learning from Djax. If you really think about it, he's in such a tremendous spot to learn. He has DJax to impart wisdom on deep routes and attacking down the field, and Kupp/Woods are two of the best intermediate route runners in the whole NFL. I loved hearing Kupp and Tutu talk during the Denver game about route running and setting up defenders. He's just going to keep improving playing with these vets everyday.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Putting him with the wideouts is a good sign. Means he's going to be running a lot of their patterns to include maybe some deep clearouts which, with 9 at QB, are gonna translate.

4 WR sets ?

MachS

Hall of Fame
Some saw him more as a big WR than a TE

Yea he'll play the hybrid role where he can play in the slot and out wide. Very similar to how Gruden uses Waller in his offense. I think he'll be a factor in the red zone this year but I wonder how often he'll see the field. We have a shit load of receiving options this year. Its pretty wild. I remember the days of Brandon Gibson, Mardy Gilyard, Michael Sims-Walker, Denario Alexander, Brian Quick.....man how far we've come.

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Yea he'll play the hybrid role where he can play in the slot and out wide. Very similar to how Gruden uses Waller in his offense. I think he'll be a factor in the red zone this year but I wonder how often he'll see the field. We have a shit load of receiving options this year. Its pretty wild. I remember the days of Brandon Gibson, Mardy Gilyard, Michael Sims-Walker, Denario Alexander, Brian Quick.....man how far we've come.
McVay rewards the guys who make plays tbh. So if Harris can bring a couple in to make a difference early season he'll get more looks. If not it will be like Jefferson, where McVay tails him back and gives him another shot later in the season.

But either way I think he offers things other guys don't have in that WR room (outside of Skow). That alone will get him looks early and often he's just gonna have to make plays.

jjab360

Legend
I was high on Harris entering preseason but I think it'll take some time.

Hard to view him as a TE right now, he's pretty much just a big WR but I don't see how he would get playing time over the top 4 guys at that position anytime soon.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
I was not on the Skowronek… but am now and see him and Harris as pretty interchangeable, ultimately.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
I'm surprised that they didn't move to make Skow the TE/Hybrid as Harris is much more suited to be a big WR. Skow's speed and ability to put on weight better suits him for that role, but I dunno.

Why would they want to remove the speed and quickness of a 6'5" 217lb receiver by putting on 40lbs of muscle?

Harris could be a Calvin Johnson lite... that's what makes more sense to me, but that's just in my broken brain...

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
I was high on Harris entering preseason but I think it'll take some time.

Hard to view him as a TE right now, he's pretty much just a big WR but I don't see how he would get playing time over the top 4 guys at that position anytime soon.
The fact is, in preseason, he only lined up separated from the line. He didn't really line up as anything but a WR.