Tegray Scales

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Farr Be It

Hall of Fame
Scales seems a little fishy to me...
Akeem Ayers is one example of a guy on this very team who was cut in favor of an undrafted free agent/rookie draft pick.

It's not unheard of, and Scales certainly has the talent to do that.
Good call, Mem. I was trying to think of a recent example. I knew there was one.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Did Marshall and Davis replace someone the Broncos just brought in during FA? I believe that was his main point. It makes sense for the most part that you don’t sign a guy in FA if he can be replaced by an UDFA. Can Scales knock a player out that has made an NFL squad? Quite possible. Probably more likely he knocks off one of our non-starters we already had on the team.

Ramik will compete for a spot like everyone else. Scales has the talent to stick. I think both of them end up on the roster. We didn't offer Wilson much. He's getting the NFL minimum plus a $45,000 signing bonus as far as I can tell. Scales will likely get the NFL minimum plus a signing bonus in the range of $15,000 to $25,000. In terms of cost, Scales will be cheaper, which may factor into any competition. It'll be interesting to see how many ILBs they keep. We have at least 6 guys worth of a roster spot (Barron, Littleton, Kiser, Wilson, Hager, and Scales).

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Akeem Ayers is one example of a guy on this very team who was cut in favor of an undrafted free agent/rookie draft pick.

It's not unheard of, and Scales certainly has the talent to do that.

i'm pretty sure ayers played a year for the rams before they cut him. the argument was the rams wouldn't cut a player they just signed.

however after seeing how little is guaranteed to wilson there's no monetary value making the rams think twice about releasing him.

lbers gonna have to train the house down and play well to make the cut this year for the rams.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
It will depend who 'fits' in what Wade and McVay have in mind for this D. UDFAs often get roster spots (and starting roles in D's especially when you've got a front line like we have.

I really do think it comes down to which player - no matter where they were drafted etc - is the best for the team.

Tano

Legend
40 Yard Dash; 4.77 SECONDS
Not the fastest out there! Shaquem Griffin blew away all LBs with 4.38.

I saw that Griffin's time had a clocking error where it was actually around 4.5 seconds.

Can someone verify if that was true?

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
This was a deep draft....this guy wasn't selected???? Must be something else....

ReekofRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Reek
Stop with this horrendous logic. If you watched Scales play and you think he's no good, make that argument. If you haven't watched him play, stop trying to tell someone who has that they're wrong. Why wasn't Scales drafted? Because he's 6'0" 230 pounds with short arms and a 4.7 40.

What did Tegray Scales do as a starter the past two years in the Big 10? I'm happy to tell you:
2016: 125 tackles, 24 TFLs, 7 sacks, 1 Int and 1 FF
2017: 89 tackles, 12.5 TFLs, 6 sacks, 2 Ints, and 0 FFs

Pretty damn good production in one of the best conferences in college football. Tegray Scales likely isn't a future superstar in the making, but he can play. He has the talent to stick on the roster and even start down the line.

Go ahead and take a look at Wade's starting LBs his final year in Denver. They were Brandon Marshall and Todd Davis. Marshall was a 5th round pick of the Jaguars. The Jaguars cut Marshall multiple times during his rookie season to put him on the Practice Squad, and they finally cut him before the start of the regular season going into his second year. Todd Davis was an undrafted free agent.

That means that Wade's two ILBs were a guy who couldn't make the Jaguars (back when they were crappy) and a former UDFA. Yet, both guys performed admirably. Wade gets quality play out of overlooked players because he knows how to identify exactly the skill-set that is maximized in his defense. Tegray Scales has that sort of skill-set, and he's a guy who should thrive on special teams.
You're right jrry32, I shouldn't imply anyone is wrong. For now on I'll make sure to make it known that this is my opinion, or that this is the way I see it. So let me state my opinion clearly. I personally feel that it someone is not drafted, until they can prove it against the NFL talent I will never trust that they will be taking away anyone's starting spot.
And by the way over 90% of UDFAs never make into the league, so one may hope someone does will and makes onto the team, but it should not be expected. Again this is only my opinion.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
You're right jrry32, I shouldn't imply anyone is wrong. For now on I'll make sure to make it known that this is my opinion, or that this is the way I see it. So let me state my opinion clearly. I personally feel that it someone is not drafted, until they can prove it against the NFL talent I will never trust that they will be taking away anyone's starting spot.
And by the way over 90% of UDFAs never make into the league, so one may hope someone does will and makes onto the team, but it should not be expected. Again this is only my opinion.

You're entitled to your opinion, but you gotta keep in mind that people who have watched the guy play are generally not going to put a lot of credibility in the statement "but he went undrafted." I doubt Scales starts in 2018 unless we have a lot of injuries, but he does have the talent to compete for a starting job down the line.

bomebadeeda

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bome
Using the "he wasn't drafted" isn't a good measuring stick. Every year we hear where there are 40-45 guys who will be first rounders. But once the round is over, only 32 are actually first rounders. Now does that make the other guys liars? No. It just means their scenario didn't come up. Who would the Eagles taken if Baltimore had not moved back up?. It would not have been Jackson. And every trade skews "the best 32". And now you have 8-13 guys pushed into the 2nd. And the same scenario at the end of that round. Around the 5th round, you now have almost a full round of guys who are a round behind where they were projected. There might have been 10 teams that would have drafted a number of these guys, but scenerios didn't work out. So to say, "They aren't good enough to be drafted", is incorrect. Saying their number didn't come up would probably be a better statement.

ReekofRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Reek
You're entitled to your opinion, but you gotta keep in mind that people who have watched the guy play are generally not going to put a lot of credibility in the statement "but he went undrafted." I doubt Scales starts in 2018 unless we have a lot of injuries, but he does have the talent to compete for a starting job down the line.
And I hope you're right, because we need depth that can turn into starters.

ReekofRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Reek
So I have spent the last hour or so watching videos that singled out Tegray against MSU. UM. PSU. and Ohio State.
Here's the good things I saw.
He's is very good dropping back into coverage, and in covering his man well.
He is a sure tackler.
He's very good at finding small cracks to be able to make a play.
He is good at rushing the quarterback once he decided to.

What I didn't like.
When he tried a hesitation move on the quarterback as if he's not going to rush, when he actually does rush him, he usually waits way too long, and doesn't even get close to the quarterback.
He has too many times when he's indecisive of what to do.
If someone bigger than him comes to block him, he just seems to give up on the play.

Now after watching this I thought maybe the person who set these videos doesn't like Tegray, because I was hoping to be encouraged, but that just wasn't to be. But if that isn't true, then he's going to have show more on the field than he showed in those videos.
But again this is only my personal observation.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
In the ROD mock draft, I took Josey Jewell in the 5th round only because @Ramhusker picked Scales right in front of me. I was ticked! I'm very surprised he wasn't drafted. The combination of Kiser/ Scales lining up next to Barron will be an upgrade over Ogletree

Wow - that sounds like crazy talk.

Kiser was the pick !!

How did atheists Rams & Snead pull off all these udfa’s ??

How deep was this draft ??

SierraRam

Recreational User
Wow - that sounds like crazy talk.

Kiser was the pick !!

How did atheists Rams & Snead pull off all these udfa’s ??

How deep was this draft ??

During the mock draft, we were commenting on how deep the LB and DL positions were. And if we knew it, you know McVay and Co were WAY ahead of us amateurs!

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Ramik will compete for a spot like everyone else. Scales has the talent to stick. I think both of them end up on the roster. We didn't offer Wilson much. He's getting the NFL minimum plus a $45,000 signing bonus as far as I can tell. Scales will likely get the NFL minimum plus a signing bonus in the range of $15,000 to $25,000. In terms of cost, Scales will be cheaper, which may factor into any competition. It'll be interesting to see how many ILBs they keep. We have at least 6 guys worth of a roster spot (Barron, Littleton, Kiser, Wilson, Hager, and Scales).
It’s hard to say but I’m not sure why they would grab him early like they did if they didn’t have plans for him and thought he was a JAG.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
As fans prepare to guesstimate who's gonna win those jobs at ILB, it's important to remember that draft position is not going to matter. Only safe guy is Barron at this point.

Many have Kiser slotting in already. Not me but I've seen quite a bit of folks expecting him to start opposite Barron. But Kiser comes with weaknesses in addition to his ability to stuff the run and IF one of these other guys (which includes holdovers like Littleton) demonstrates strong overall play in coverage on top of good run discipline they're going to win that job.

I've also seen some discuss two down linebackers being the norm in the NFL. But needing to change guys out pass/run downs can be a liability vs a team that knows how to get to the line fast and force matchups they want. Wade's LBs on the interior tend to not be big run stuffer types, but guys who are disciplined and have good range for quick drops to limit passing lanes.

Kiser might well work out for us. Not gonna root against him just because I don't love his film as much as everyone else. But some of these other guys like Howard or Scales are going to be in the mix, make no mistake about it. Would not surprise me in the least to see someone come out of nowhere on that depth chart.

Ram65

Legend
Only safe guy is Barron at this point.

I would think so but, some think he will be cut to save money.

Many have Kiser slotting in already. Not me but I've seen quite a bit of folks expecting him to start opposite Barron. But Kiser comes with weaknesses in addition to his ability to stuff the run and IF one of these other guys (which includes holdovers like Littleton) demonstrates strong overall play in coverage on top of good run discipline they're going to win that job.

Yes sir, both Barron and Tree had to cover man to man last year. It took awhile to get them going. They got better but, not perfect. It's hard to cover TEs and RBs from the inside with the crossing routes and picks. Whoever play ILB has to cover. Littleton should have a edge with experience in the defense.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
During the mock draft, we were commenting on how deep the LB and DL positions were. And if we knew it, you know McVay and Co were WAY ahead of us amateurs!

That is so far beyond the truth !!

What positions did The Rams first 2 picks ?

You have to be kidding?? The Rams traded Ogletree for who ??
The Rams traded Quinn for who ??

The Rams traded Tavon Austin for who ??

The thing I knew was The Rams position of need . How Les Snead works magic on value !!

If you recap the draft it shows how deep the draft was at lb /DL

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I would think so but, some think he will be cut to save money.

Yes sir, both Barron and Tree had to cover man to man last year. It took awhile to get them going. They got better but, not perfect. It's hard to cover TEs and RBs from the inside with the crossing routes and picks. Whoever play ILB has to cover. Littleton should have a edge with experience in the defense.
Not sure you could say Tree got better. He started the first five games on fire but didn’t finish the season well after signing his extension.