T. Lewis is looking like he might just be a steal

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
I just don't believe you can rely on him playing like that for an entire season.
He really helped us win that Tampa Bay game.

And he could help us win several other games even if he doesn't make it through the year.

He's contributing to wins.

He could easily be the difference between us going 12-5 and being a wildcard team who plays on the road or a 15-2 team that gets a week of rest and having to play one less playoff game to reach the Superbowl.

It has nothing to do with whether he can make it through the whole season or not.

He's helping us win now.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Sure he could, but Gurley was worth a top 10 pick. He wasn’t worth a contract extension but he was worth his pick. Greatness short lived is still greatness.

I always disagreed with that pick. Too high for a RB with a serious knee issue. Good runningbacks can be found with lower picks. It’s a position that is often short lived in the NFL and best addressed by committee imo.

I’m not saying Gurley wasn’t great. He was. But if I use a first round pick on a rung back give me Dickerson, Faulk or Steven Jackson over Gurley every time. I like getting some high level longevity out of 1st -3rd round picks.

Debacled

Starter
I always disagreed with that pick. Too high for a RB with a serious knee issue. Good runningbacks can be found with lower picks. It’s a position that is often short lived in the NFL and best addressed by committee imo.

I’m not saying Gurley wasn’t great. He was. But if I use a first round pick on a rung back give me Dickerson, Faulk or Steven Jackson over Gurley every time. I like getting some high level longevity out of 1st -3rd round picks.
So who would you of grabbed there at 10? All things considered it was a pretty weak draft class, and all pro years are all pro years. They weren't even ready to give up on Robinson yet at that point if you're looking LT.

Today's NFL doesn't have much room for a Jackson, Faulk, or Dickerson. Top of the class is top of the class regardless of how it compares to history.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
So who would you of grabbed there at 10? All things considered it was a pretty weak draft class, and all pro years are all pro years. They weren't even ready to give up on Robinson yet at that point if you're looking LT.

Today's NFL doesn't have much room for a Jackson, Faulk, or Dickerson. Top of the class is top of the class regardless of how it compares to history.
So today's NFL has no room for a Derrick Henry? Marshall Lynch? Come on man !

Good is good but look at Zeke. Over drafted and overpaid. Its more of a position thing. But sure, if Gurley had no previous knee issues then 10 is good for his caliber, in a weak class. But trading back is always an option. Nobody has to pick at ten. It's rare not to find a trade partner that high up.

Hindsight is 20/20. You can't fairly look back now and make your pick. Before that draft there were many highly regarded players. First rounders bust all the time. Arik Armstrong and Marcus Peters both turned out pretty good and are still playing.

Round 2 Eric Hendricks, McKinney, Preston Smith, Ronald Darby, Ali Marpet
Round 3 Tyler Locket, Tavon Coleman, Daniels Hunter, David Johnson
And if they didn't like any of them they could have gotten a future first plus. There are so many variations.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
So today's NFL has no room for a Derrick Henry? Marshall Lynch? Come on man !

Good is good but look at Zeke. Over drafted and overpaid. Its more of a position thing. But sure, if Gurley had no previous knee issues then 10 is good for his caliber, in a weak class. But trading back is always an option. Nobody has to pick at ten. It's rare not to find a trade partner that high up.

Hindsight is 20/20. You can't fairly look back now and make your pick. Before that draft there were many highly regarded players. First rounders bust all the time. Arik Armstrong and Marcus Peters both turned out pretty good and are still playing.

Round 2 Eric Hendricks, McKinney, Preston Smith, Ronald Darby, Ali Marpet
Round 3 Tyler Locket, Tavon Coleman, Daniels Hunter, David Johnson
And if they didn't like any of them they could have gotten a future first plus. There are so many variations.

zeke transformed the cowboys offense and turned them into winners, kind of.

a 4 and 12 team turned into a 13 and 3 team because zeke allowed them to control the games. then they went 9 and 7 then 10 and 6.

he was worth a top 5 pick.

gurley was easily worth the #10 pick. he was the best rb in the league for a couple of seasons and the rams rode him into the ground. he was the driving force behind their 2017-18 seasons. it's too bad they didn't have a dependable backup as they overworked him in 2018 and his knee couldn't take it. that's on the rams, not him.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend

a 4 and 12 team turned into a 13 and 3 team because zeke allowed them to control the games. then they went 9 and 7 then 10 and 6.

gurley was easily worth the #10 pick. he was the best rb in the league for a couple of seasons and the rams rode him into the ground. he was the driving force behind their 2017-18 seasons. it's too bad they didn't have a dependable backup as they overworked him in 2018 and his knee couldn't take it. that's on the rams, not him.

Disagree about Gurley. He is a feature back. You don’t sub for him without enormous drop off. And you don’t use a tenth overall. Pick to be in a rotation.

Again, first round talent but it came with a higher risk that his previous injury could ruin his career at any moment. The Rams were lucky to have had him as long as they did.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend

And other teams had success building a great Oline and cycling through runningback committees. Runningbacks picked in round three or lower.

It’s a positional thing. RBs wear out faster than other positions. Teams don’t use as many high picks on them as they used to because of it. The result is that good runningbacks can be found later in the draft allowing teams to prioritize other positions.

tempests

Hall of Fame
Disagree about Gurley. He is a feature back. You don’t sub for him without enormous drop off. And you don’t use a tenth overall. Pick to be in a rotation.

Again, first round talent but it came with a higher risk that his previous injury could ruin his career at any moment. The Rams were lucky to have had him as long as they did.
Not always going to get longevity out of players.

Gurley had as much talent as anybody in that draft, and the Rams had an absolute dearth of playmakers. They needed him. And McVay and Goff both benefited greatly from having him here.

Didn't get a decade out of Gurley, but at least his light shined brightly enough for both team and individual success before it burned out.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter

say what - don’t understand exactly what your talking about unless it is Gurley at #10 overall.

My thing if you go back to the 2017 draft was Les Snead drafting a RB that year. I’ve been a Draftnik for awhile.I would not have taken Gurley at 10 or Greg Robinson.I haven’t went back on the Gurley pick because The Rams had a need there & believed in him.I was worried about Todd Gurleys knee & where RB’s usually get drafted.

An example is Cam Akers.It was pretty obvious The Rams had to take 1 of 5 RB’s.The draft was playing out that way.

My point was before the 2017 draft Les Snead stated there is only 1 ball to go around. D. Cook was my choice.
Playing Monday Morning QB?

John Johnson & Gerald Everett
Or D.Cook(FSU) Vikings RB ?

If your talking about T. Lewis he has always been risk vs reward.
—still L”ing MAO about all the doubters & fans that compare him to the Center Jones from Bama.
-also that Center from Alabama Dickerson is starting at LG for someone? Dude Imo was a stud.He never made it to The Rams.

-Humphries did from Oklahoma who was healthy & starting for KC.Not going to doubt Tutu Atwell’s pick either.I HATED trading up to #8? For Tavon Austin.I like where Tutu Atwell was drafted & will have the better career.He was right next to DJ1 when the got gassed after that HUGE play at SeaHags on the sidelines.Was sort of funny thing what he told him. Lol-

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter

There you go,thought it was about Todd Gurley at 10. I always question that logic when it came to D. Cook from FSU. To me it was a no Brainer at 42? When ever in the 2nd rd.

I know Mcvay wanted a TE & value wasn’t there in draft logic ? Those mocks are crazy sometimes.I always try to identify position & need.

I had Cook circled in 2nd rd value. He was still there.
Had Copper Kupp circled in 2nd rd.
He was still there.
Then Kittles from IOWA was still there.I’d even say maybe Reynolds was the right pick.
Ebukham vs Kittles though with Higbee & Everett.

—I’ll never forget how pissed off I got Demoff on practice in 2017 about the TE position next to Snead.I swear he was coming for me. Lol - he & Les are good dudes. Les Snead just talked about lineman from Iowa & Wisconsin though. He missed out on Kittles.

BTW- I honestly love this Rams franchise.Just giving thoughts.I also believe The Rams have changed to 3 RBs. — Jake Funk was a steal & against the Tampa led with a 6 yard run.He blocked okay.I haven’t watched the last 2 games very close.

-HENDO looking real good & Sony as well.Saw Tutu returning Kicks now instead of Funk on Thursday.Funk still on teams.

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
While we knew there were injury issues. We also know that any player at any time could be lost for the season. The chance to get an impactful player, a player with talent worthy of a number 1 pic, is worth the risk. Also they way we use our number 1picks we don't usually have a shot to pick a player of his caliber. Not without substantial investment thru free agency or trading more than a 3rd. So to me it was worth the 3rd to see if he can get over his injury issues. Or to see if they can be managed enough to get periodic impactful play. We have picked many 3rd rounders who have no impact at all but satisfy what fans would have liked. Continuously bringing up how they should have picked this guy or it was a wasted pick or they could have got him later or we had more pressing needs, to me is just sour grapes. I think I like how this FO operates. They have a plan and execute it. If it goes wrong they deal with it and go to plan B. And anything is possible. I like it.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
He really helped us win that Tampa Bay game.

And he could help us win several other games even if he doesn't make it through the year.

He's contributing to wins.

He could easily be the difference between us going 12-5 and being a wildcard team who plays on the road or a 15-2 team that gets a week of rest and having to play one less playoff game to reach the Superbowl.

It has nothing to do with whether he can make it through the whole season or not.

He's helping us win now.

Just wondering why you clipped one part of my post?
As I said, every week he plays is a bonus. A bonus is a good thing. He's contributing. I also pointed out he's a beast.

Reliability is an ability and an important one in the NFL. The only reason the Rams got him where they did was because there are big questions about this ability with Lewis.

There's no criticism of the pick or player in my post.. simply an observation about the player and the big picture.
Every week he plays like this I just look at like a bonus. I just don't believe you can rely on him playing like that for an entire season.

I hope I'm wrong.

He's an absolute beast when he's healthy... a beast.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
I'd retake Gurley every day of the week.
A transformative talent that allowed a pedestrian QB to excel and helped turn a bad offense into a spectacular one. His hurdles in 17 alone might be worth it.
His 5 year production at the 10 spot absolutely justified the pick.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
I don't think I ever said he was a wasted pick. I am pretty sure I've fished with and maybe even laughed at people who were counting on/expecting him to be great or a big part of the defense. Given how much he wasn't on the practice field or in games, I think that was justified. At the time, the information we had didn't support such beliefs. I think my most notable interaction with anyone on the board about him was clarifying to someone that the reason no one was talking about Lewis was because at that point in this season, very early on this season, he hasn't done anything. The was nothing to talk about, so no one was talking about it. He's played well 2 or 3 out of 5 games this year. I hope it continues.

I won't declare him a wasted pick (which I never did, you offered that up without anything from me) before things play out. Let's also not declare him the savior of the Rams edge rushing group (which you never did, I offered that up without anything from you) before things play out.

Let's just agree that he's played well (or really well, actually) a few times now and we hope it continues.

I never said you did. There's a lot of times when there's a lot of ppl declaring a player a certain way before the player even gets a chance. Sometimes they're wrong (Terrell Lewis) and sometimes they're right (Brycen Hopkins).

He was one of the guys singled out during camp and chastised, which was and still is ridiculous.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Just wondering why you clipped one part of my post?
As I said, every week he plays is a bonus. A bonus is a good thing. He's contributing. I also pointed out he's a beast.

Reliability is an ability and an important one in the NFL. The only reason the Rams got him where they did was because there are big questions about this ability with Lewis.

There's no criticism of the pick or player in my post.. simply an observation about the player and the big picture.
I clipped your post because that was the specific part I was commenting on.
I didn't claim you were criticizing the pick.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
He wasn’t a steal. The talent was always there. Minus the injury he’d go top 15 in the draft.
With the injury he dropped to round 3. It’s likely where he should have been picked or maybe it was a little high.

I’ve always felt that a third round pick is a bit high for a guy that wasn’t seeing 20 snaps a game and could have a very short career. I like the Rams to get some longevity from a third round pick.
Terrell Lewis might finally end the drought of Snead's poor past draft history when it comes to the position of Edge Rusher. :hope:

Can you name any bonified successful ER's that GM Snead has drafted & delivered a pass rush for the Rams?:explode1:

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
I clipped your post because that was the specific part I was commenting on.
I didn't claim you were criticizing the pick.
I just felt like the overall tone of my post reflected the realities of the situation, both positive and negative.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Terrell Lewis might finally end the drought of Snead's poor past draft history when it comes to the position of Edge Rusher. :hope:

Can you name any bonified successful ER's that GM Snead has drafted & delivered a pass rush for the Rams?:explode1:
He hasn’t drafted many edge rushers and I don’t think he ever used a third round pick on one.

Ebukam was a fourth rounder and Obo a 5th. Ebukam was pure projection. Obo could have done more if he stayed healthy. He played alright this Sunday.

Travis Howard was a late round pick as was Dakota Allen.

Talent wise Lewis was a sure fire first round pick. So it’s not like it was a revelation for Snead to pick him. It was more about which team was the most willing to take a risk that his injury doesn’t prevent him from playing.

I’m still not sold. Lewis is great but his injury risk is high and his mext game could be his last every week. I wish it wasn’t so, but if that was the case he’d be playing for another team as a top ten pick.