T. Lewis is looking like he might just be a steal

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

sloramfan

Starter
complex?

doesn't t lew attend lb meetings, discussions, and video breakdowns, in the linebacker group?...

of coarse he does... he's in the group... he's a linebacker...

can he move to the middle tomorrow... puh-leeze... of coarse he can, he's a football player...and a pretty good one...

the only reason your take holds water with me is because they havent done it already...

he's still in the room, and unless he's an idiot, he knows exactly where reeder should be ON ANY PLAY....

whatever, i'm done...not trying to be an idiot...or ruffle feathers...

i think he might be the upgrade we need,,,

go rams

slo...

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
complex?

doesn't t lew attend lb meetings, discussions, and video breakdowns, in the linebacker group?...

of coarse he does... he's in the group... he's a linebacker...
He plays an entirely different position. OLB in a 3-4 is more akin to a 4-3 DE than a 4-3 MLB. You're comparing apples to oranges. Terrell Lewis has always played EDGE. He has never been a traditional off-the-ball LB. The techniques are completely different.
can he move to the middle tomorrow... puh-leeze... of coarse he can, he's a football player...and a pretty good one...
No, he can't move to the middle tomorrow and play well. It's like moving a TE to OT. It's doable, but it takes a lot of time to develop that skillset. You can't just do it overnight.
he's still in the room, and unless he's an idiot, he knows exactly where reeder should be ON ANY PLAY....
That's not his job or position. He might know in a general sense what Reeder is supposed to do, but that doesn't mean he knows the ins and outs of how he does it.

sloramfan

Starter
i know a 3-4 lb is more like a defensive end.. who doesn't...

that's not my take...

superior atheletes are just that,,, superior...

can he play inside LB tomorrow, as good as reeder? maybe, maybe not...

i think he can...because he's not doing it, is your best reason, and i can't say my reasoning is superior, or he would be out there...

edge rushers drop into coverage just like ilb's do...

they do what all lb's do... they react to their assignment, and that's why i think he could do it....

he knows what he's supposed to do, and he knows what reeder's supposed to do....

experience matters, i get it... i just think he's a superior football player...

and he should be out there in some aspect, and ILB is ILB, and he's with them all day every day, so he knows the position...

i don't really know , so it doesn't matter, i just wish he could play rapp's spot :)...

with miller and hollins, i'm not sure if he's even been active lately...

no worries buddy, i just miss seeing him out there..

go rams

slo

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
i know a 3-4 lb is more like a defensive end.. who doesn't...

that's not my take...

superior atheletes are just that,,, superior...

can he play inside LB tomorrow, as good as reeder? maybe, maybe not...

i think he can...because he's not doing it, is your best reason, and i can't say my reasoning is superior, or he would be out there...
No, my best reason is because he lacks the skills to play that position. Run defense from a traditional LB spot and from an edge rusher spot are COMPLETELY different. They take different skillsets. They have different techniques. And they ask different things of players mentally.

Terrell Lewis has spent all his time in college and the NFL as an edge rusher. He is not prepared to play ILB. He doesn't have the understanding of the position. He doesn't have the techniques down. And he hasn't polished those skills. You are vastly underestimating the complexity of NFL football.

edge rushers drop into coverage just like ilb's do...
No, they don't. Edge rushers drop into coverage from time to time, but their coverage responsibilities and techniques are completely different from the ILBs. It's like saying because safeties drop into coverage too, we can move to Jordan Fuller to CB without any issues.

they do what all lb's do... they react to their assignment, and that's why i think he could do it....
That's an oversimplification. Tyler Higbee blocks. Does that mean he can replace Andrew Whitworth at LT?

he knows what he's supposed to do, and he knows what reeder's supposed to do....
Let's assume a best case scenario where he does know what Reeder is supposed to do. That doesn't mean he knows HOW Reeder is supposed to do it. Van Jefferson likely knows what Matt Stafford is supposed to do on a given play. It doesn't mean you can put Van Jefferson under center and count on him to know how to do it.

experience matters, i get it... i just think he's a superior football player...
Well yes, experience does matter. But it's not even that much about experience. It's about coaching. Terrell Lewis hasn't been coached to play that position.

and he should be out there in some aspect, and ILB is ILB, and he's with them all day every day, so he knows the position...
No, he doesn't. He's an OLB, not an ILB. They're coached differently, and no, he's not with them all day every day. They run different drills because they play fundamentally different positions.

It's why we used to have Chris Shula coaching the OUTSIDE Linebackers and Joe Barry coaching the INSIDE Linebackers. I'm not sure how they're splitting things up this year between Shula and Bogardus, but the ILBs and OLBs are coached differently and often independently of each other in a 3-4.

no worries buddy, i just miss seeing him out there..
I do too. I don't feel like Hollins has been as effective this year with Morris as he was with Staley last year. But Hollins can play special teams and has more positional versatility (as he has experience playing ILB). So it generally comes down to Okoronkwo and Lewis for that spot in the rotation.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
one fucking play you hang your hat on instead of admitting that Morris is part of the problem as well. Yes players made mistakes in this game that cost us. How about when Ramsey made that amazing interception in the end zone after they drove all the way into the red zone, to pull Morris's ass temporarily out of the fire. The fact is Morris is the captain of the ship on D and he is responsible for every aspect of the D. The D fucking sucked in the second half barring a few plays made by the big playmakers. That means Morris sucks. We all know there are many things, not just the coach that go into a good D. But the glaring fact is. With 2 secondary players changing teams the D went from #1 to middle of the pack. If it was AD or Ramsey I could see it, but the only answer is Morris.
Yeah, obviously, I don't see it that simply.

No, I'm not "hanging my hat" on one play.. I'm pointing out, again, that the problems on this defense are about much more than Morris and playing soft at times.

We keep talking about/reading that communication on the back end is a problem. How much of that is on Morris? How much is on players? How much is on losing Aubrey Pleasant?

The oversimplification of "Morris and his soft scheme" is what I keep pushing back on.

Wasn't Fuller out on that last drive? What impact did that have on communication and what they were running?

There are so many factors in play, but, please, feel free to rail against Morris as the only problem.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
I don't know if there was confusion but it looked like a missed assignment. I do know, however, that manning up like I suggested, eliminates any confusion whereas soft zone has the potential for blown assignments and confusion on every pass play. We've seen what this scheme has done verses the niners so let's try something else.

The 4th corner is on Jennings. We have 2 corners who can work one on one with the remaining 3 dbs to cover kittle and jennings.
I get where you're coming from, but I just don't think it's that simple with defenses today.

If you're going man, I'm just looking for whoever Long or DD are on or Kittle and just hammering away there and there's no reason to believe they wouldn't go up and down the field using that strategy. Pretty much every defense I watch mixes up coverages.. yes, Morris plays that softer shell more than others.. but this team does not have the horses to run man. If Rochelle took a big jump? Maybe? But he hasn't and is currently hurt. That and Burgess not seeing the field have been two huge factors, in my opinion, in why the secondary ain't it this year.

wolfdogg

Hall of Fame
Name
wolfdogg
I get where you're coming from, but I just don't think it's that simple with defenses today.

If you're going man, I'm just looking for whoever Long or DD are on or Kittle and just hammering away there and there's no reason to believe they wouldn't go up and down the field using that strategy. Pretty much every defense I watch mixes up coverages.. yes, Morris plays that softer shell more than others.. but this team does not have the horses to run man. If Rochelle took a big jump? Maybe? But he hasn't and is currently hurt. That and Burgess not seeing the field have been two huge factors, in my opinion, in why the secondary ain't it this year.

DD or long would be on Jennings and the other guy would be half of the tight double team on kittle. So you'd have either burgess or now weddle coupled with long or DD on kittle. I'd probably have long and burgess on kittle, and no soft coverage shit either. Those 2 guys all up in kittles grill and definitely hitting him off his release from the line of scrimmage. Long is no match for kittle but just having 2 bodies all over kittle from the snap would make Jimmy look elsewhere.

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
Yeah, obviously, I don't see it that simply.

No, I'm not "hanging my hat" on one play.. I'm pointing out, again, that the problems on this defense are about much more than Morris and playing soft at times.

We keep talking about/reading that communication on the back end is a problem. How much of that is on Morris? How much is on players? How much is on losing Aubrey Pleasant?

The oversimplification of "Morris and his soft scheme" is what I keep pushing back on.

Wasn't Fuller out on that last drive? What impact did that have on communication and what they were running?

There are so many factors in play, but, please, feel free to rail against Morris as the only problem.
I never said he was the only problem. Right there in the post you replied to. I did say he is totally responsible for the D. But go ahead and mis quote what people say to support your stance.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
I never said he was the only problem. Right there in the post you replied to. I did say he is totally responsible for the D. But go ahead and mis quote what people say to support your stance.

There's not intentional misquote there, I didn't see the difference between him being the problem and the defense being his responsibility.

McVay is responsible for the scheme, for hiring Morris, and for the team.