Suh visiting Rams per source

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

TexasRam

Legend
Would signing Joyner to a long term deal save us some cap space that we can use to help make this happen?

I think that is one way. Also, I think they could extend Saffold and free up a few M’s there. Then there is Barron, he just got paid but I believe cutting him still frees up 5 Million.

So those three you could easily
Free up 10M.

Jamon Brown, Havenstein, Peters, Gurley, Saffold, Joyner all need to be re-signed to long term before 2019.

Unfortunately and don’t kill the messenger because I called the Quinn cut, but Brockers may be odd man out in 2019 as we could free up about 9 million there. Not a lot of other places to cut and if you draft DE this draft you have his replacement. And again look
At the names you will need to sign. Peters and Gurley and Joyner together will cost roughly 40-50 million, the three lineman may cost 20-30 million.

So 70-80m to pay into 2019. Right now 2019 looks like around 87m free after Sullivan and NRC signings. So even before Donald signing there isn’t much wiggle room.

You can always move stuff to the next year but we pay as we go to avoid cap hell. Something is going to give.

Whitworth Brockers Barron and Talib are the big contracts to unload after 2019 so expect the Rams to draft LT, LB and DE this draft.

Ranma

Rookie
Is this a certainty based on inside information?

It isn't out of the realm of possibility.

While it may be within the realm of possibility, so are a lot of things. What do you base your assertion on? Have there been any actual reports from trusted media members proposing this to be the case?

From what I've gathered up to this point, the Rams have reportedly checked in with Aaron Donald and both are comfortable with the timeline of having a deal eventually worked out, which some have speculated means that they're waiting for Khalil Mack to get his extension done first in order for the Rams to top that so that AD can be the highest paid defensive player in the NFL. I happen to be convinced of that, especially since the front office has also gone on record as saying that they've set aside current money in order to pay Donald.

Now that doesn't mean that the front office has set aside $20 million this season to pay Donald either, but rather that they've figured in a theoretical amount (say $6 million) to be added over the next several years as a spreading out of his proposed signing bonus.

Given that we still have about $25 million in salary cap space and aggressively tried to re-sign Sammy Watkins as well as offered Tyler Eifert around $8.5 million in free agency, I'd say that we should have enough money to pursue Ndamukong Suh since his price tag is anticipated to be around the same amount that Sheldon Richardson signed for recently.

Plus, the Rams have yet to address improving the run defense, which has been a stated priority for this off-season, especially with the departures of both Alec Ogletree and Robert Quinn. Signing Suh or Jonathan Hankins, for that matter, would fit the bill.

Last edited:

Stl2La

Hall of Fame
Is this a certainty based on inside information?

It isn't out of the realm of possibility.

It wouldn’t effect Donald at all. Why would signing a 32 yr old DT dictate whether or not Donald comes back after next season?

TexasRam

Legend
Things that make you go hmmmmm

NFC playoff teams all adding Pro Bowl DT Beef:

Carolina - Dontari Poe

Vikings - Sheldon Richardson

Eagles - Haloti Ngata

Rams - looking at Suh.

Saints - looking at Suh

Atlanta - No cap space

Last edited:

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I get that, well aware of his on field activity. What I was asking was as far as a teammate goes, I don’t recall any complaints

They are always too scared to complain.

Feel free to use whatever made-up definitions you'd like.

I don't know if Suh is either, edgy or dirty. He gets angry when he gets frustrated and lashes out. To me that isn't edgy. It is dirty either, if he is retaliating out of frustration. To me a dirty player initiates it. He does seem to have a short fuse. I can't help to wonder how he interacts in the locker room. Is he jovial and engaging, or sullen and a loner. I am sure Snead, McVay, or Phillips have an idea. If they think he is fine then I accept it. I do think they'd like to trump the Dline moves that Philly, Minnesota and Carolina made...which was likely them trying to trump the Rams Dline.

Bowman?

Not sure I’d buy into the 2018 version

He went into Oakland and turned that defense around with his knowledge and leadership. Bowman can still play the run when it comes to having gap discipline and shedding blocks. If they want a sideline to sideline LBer then they probably don't him.

Everyone misjudged that scenario. LOL

did the fish have Goff, Gurley, Kupp, and Woods?

What does that have to do with sack totals? If anything, a bad offense means more time to get sacks.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I'm on the fence with signing Suh. I worry about character and team chemistry. But it would be great to have another dominant player to rotate on the Dline. I still think a wide body NT is a need, even if they do sign Suh. A good rotation keeps guys fresh. Play Suh on obvious passing downs and a NT on obvious running downs. I am guessing that at 32, he may be best used in a rotation, to keep him fresher.

Plus, like I said earlier that signing Suh trumps the moves some other playoff teams made to bolster their D lines.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
There's also no way of knowing if our offense is even going to good next year. Lots of teams have flash in the pan seasons. See the Oakland Raiders.
You’re comparing Sean McVay to Jack Del Rio? C’mon man.

Derek Carr was also injured last year. He’s a very good QB.