Stl Should Embrace La History, Not Fight It

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
USATSI_6488306_164063748_lowres-750x256.jpg

STL should embrace LA history, not fight it
By Spencer Engel
January 24, 2014 9:00 am CST
http://network.yardbarker.com/all_s...ould_embrace_la_history_not_fight_it/15619889

On Tuesday, I posted what I thought was an innocent enough piece about the reaction to Tavon Austin taking a photo with some Rams fans who turned out to be proponents of moving the franchise back to Los Angeles.

A couple days later, the article apparently made its rounds quickly, accumulating more than 2,000 views (not unheard of for us but definitely extraordinary) and 16 comments (same). I did a bit of searching and found out that a Facebook group called “Bring Back the Los Angeles Rams” had caught wind of my article and posted it to their page. I was somewhat aware this group existed, but I had no idea they had nearly 25,000 “likes.” As of this writing, my article has 421 likes on the page and 79 comments.

Obviously, a boatload of Rams fans still reside in the southern California area that count themselves as passionate Rams fans. Some of these people desperately would like the Rams to move back to Los Angeles. It’s certainly understandable. I probably would too if I had been an LA Rams fan back in 1994, right before they moved to St. Louis.

Meanwhile, almost all of the St. Louis Rams fans are desperate to hold on to the team, especially the fans over the age of 30 who are old enough to remember the pain of losing the football Cardinals to Phoenix in 1987. Some of these fans are insecure about the Rams’ future in St. Louis and freak out whenever they even catch a whiff of LA rumors. It’s certainly understandable. I probably would feel similar if I had already gone through the pain of losing a professional football franchise*.

*I was born in late 1987, so Cardinals history is non-existent for me.

However, if you take a look at those embedded tweets, the comments in my Austin piece, the comments on the STL Today piece, the comments on Turf Show Times’ piece, and the comments on the “Bring Back the LA Rams” Facebook group, you’ll notice a lot of animosity among both sides.

Here’s my suggestion to St. Louis professional fans: Embrace the LA fans. Interact with them; be friendly with them; discuss the current state of the team with them. They’re Rams fans just like you. They care about the team just like you. If you can’t bring yourself to embrace the LA fans, simply ignore them.

But being openly hostile doesn’t do the fanbase any good. It might be tough to swallow your pride and be friendly with people who openly covet your football team and want to take that team from you. You might think it’s similar to dating a new girl who’s still friends with her ex-boyfriend. Sure, you might want to punch that guy in the face once in a while because he’s flirting just a little too openly with a girl who is now in a relationship with you.

Because you haven’t put a ring on her finger yet (or in St. Louis’s case, we haven’t given the Rams a new stadium yet**), the ex-boyfriend still remains a threat. She could leave you at some point for him, and you know it, so you become overly sensitive at times. Although you have plenty of virtues yourself, you know that her ex-boyfriend is a little better looking and more athletic than you no matter which way you cut it (I hope I’m not beating you over the head too hard with the metaphors).

**The stadium issue is worth a column or two on its own. We won’t get into it here.

Sometimes you just need to be the bigger man though. Don’t acknowledge that the ex-boyfriend is a threat. Rather, treat him as you would any other acquaintance of your girlfriend. Shake his hand when you see him, converse when necessary, and go about your business. You’ll probably gain your girlfriend’s admiration and respect. The ex-boyfriend will either grudgingly give his respect too, or he’ll remain a jealous prick. But ultimately you don’t care.

You have a great girlfriend. Hope the best for the ex-boyfriend. Maybe he’ll find someone else soon. After all, there is that one girl in Jacksonville everyone thinks would be a good match for him…

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
If Dickerson can fight it than so can I. (Meaning he had great years in LA but still bashes which gives me reason to.)

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
As a Ram fan since the 60's which obviously covers the LA era I have to say I understand the plight of the BBTLAR. I can't imagine it catching any real momentum though. They moved partially due to poor support and I don't imagine the move has helped that in fact quite the contrary. when you have a talk amongst a group of football fans in LA it is relatively rare to find Ram supporters. I for one have no problem with them staying put in the Lou. Yes I would love to see them live at a greater convenience but no one should lose there team. It is the age of easily accessible media so exposure to any team any sport is at your fingertips and through your wallet.
I know this is not in direct relation to the original post but thought I would add my LA input. Hell pretty soon it just may be the Netflix Rams anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
Dude... LA is a lame football town. 3 teams and none stay but the fans wanna troll us? Frig LA...

Dickerson knows, man.
That's unnecessary and untrue. We are a City not a town and a very large one that demands winning without excuses and will not support a loser for long. With a myriad of other activities and spectator attractions to support and involve ourselves in. Not to mention we are your Ram fan and ROD brothers and some of us for a very long time.
Go Rams

Last edited by a moderator:

Rabid Ram

Legend
Name
Dustin
So the Lakers should leave then? Or how bout them lovable losers the clippers and Dodgers cause they always won right.

rams24/7

Pro Bowler
Name
Nick
We are a City not a town and a very large one that demands winning without excuses and will not support a loser for long. With a myriad of other activities and spectator attractions to support and involve ourselves in

Which is the same thing in STL. The Dome was sold out from 1999-2006, when the team was consistently winning. The worst 5 year stretch in NFL history follows and the attendence the Rams had is understandable. In LA the Rams were arguably the 6th most important franchise behind the Lakers, Dodgers, USC, UCLA, and Raiders. STL is a much smaller market than LA, but the Rams are probably behind the Cardinals, Blues, and Mizzou; although when the Rams were great you can argue they're #2. So as far as sports both cities offer multiple other franchises to root for, most of which have longer and greater histories in their respective regions.

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim
Let's get one thing clear. In the 70's and 80's, the Rams were a top draw in LA. Only in the 90's, as Georgia and Shaw were preparing the way for the move to St Louis, did attendance suffer.

No one calls my Dodgers lovable losers. #fighting words

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yeah, this might not have been the best article to post...
I overestimated the message's effectiveness.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
Yeah, this might not have been the best article to post...
I overestimated the message's effectiveness.
Nothing wrong with the post X. I for one was actually empathetic to all the St Louis fans dealing with the move the team B.S. I thought my post was pretty clear about that. We in LA get the LA is a shit sports fan city all the time. In truth we are a city that is tough to match in diversity comprised of residents from all over the USA and the world so obviously that translates to fans of teams in those cities. As a kid my dad said it was jealousy who wouldn't want the weather the opportunity (money) and the girls that So. Cal has to offer

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
I like the put a ring on her finger analogy.

I remember a girl once telling me, "I just want someone to put a ring on my finger and get me pregnant".

Now that's what I call looking for serious commitment.

So hey St. Louis, I love ya, but if you want the girl, then spring for the ring.

Are you Ronnie or Johnny?

rhinobean

Hall of Fame
Name
Bob
Since Stan took over the Rams I've not lost any sleep over the team moving! I embrace the fans from LA as it's their team too! I look forward to the building of a new stadium in the suburbs since that makes the most sense both geographically and financially. Most of the fans live in the suburbs.
Go Rams!

tonyl711

Starter
back in the 70s and 80s when they team was winning the fans were there, sound familiar? from 95 till 06 the dome was sold out every week. I don't blame LA fans for wanting the Rams back, hell until the Rams moved here I wanted the Big Red back, once we had a new team that changed, I think it will in LA too once they get a new team there.

Pancake

Hall of Fame
Name
Ernie
Dude... LA is a lame football town. 3 teams and none stay but the fans wanna troll us? Frig LA...

Dickerson knows, man.

LA fans are trolls? Really? The only troll post in this thread was yours.

I'll feel sorry for most of the St.Louis fans if they lose the Rams but not the ones like you. You never had any sympathy for guys like me when we lost our team.