Stick with these guys....

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Ellard80

Legend
Ive been told this as well from someone in the Rams scouting dept.
Don't know if he heard it second hand or from McVay himself, but, its not something he really wants to do.
Goff was basically a rookie QB that McVay developed.

Goff had played 7 games and quite terribly until McVay arrived.

Ellard80

Legend
You may be right, but how many of McSneads first round picks are playing for the Rams right now?
The rams haven't had many 1st round picks.

The rams have the 2nd youngest team in the NFL.

Guess what that means - they are playing mostly guys they drafted.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
The rams haven't had many 1st round picks.

Every first round pick by the McVay / Snead combination is currently starting for the Rams.

EVERY SINGLE ONE ... Jared Verse ... the only 1st round draft choice the Rams have had since 2017.

Ellard80

Legend
Every first round pick by the McVay / Snead combination is currently starting for the Rams.

EVERY SINGLE ONE ... Jared Verse ... the only 1st round draft choice the Rams have had since 2017.
Yeah I know. The last couple pages of this thread are head scratchers.

JonRam99

Hall of Fame
Name
Jonathan
So I’m going to take another angle on this situation. Is it fair to Reeder to not only start him but have him wear the green dot? Hes a PS or ST player at best. I’ll concede he gives it 110% but he’s a sloth. And a sloth at 110% will never beat a badger at 80% in a race or a fight. We need badgers not sloths.
^^ Mods -- QOTM candidate right here

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
So I’m going to take another angle on this situation. Is it fair to Reeder to not only start him but have him wear the green dot? Hes a PS or ST player at best. I’ll concede he gives it 110% but he’s a sloth. And a sloth at 110% will never beat a badger at 80% in a race or a fight. We need badgers not sloths.

We need wolverines, not badgers, and definitely not sloths. Wolverines are just built different.

(Speaking as the girl who owns stuffed animals of all three and can appreciate all three animals.)

Toothsayer

Rookie
Name
Richard H Stee
So we're all rooting for the Niners Thursday so that we're only one game back in the loss column, right?

arrested development hiding GIF
What's wrong with a tie , followed by a massive brawl that brings multiple suspensions & heaps shame on the Houses of Whine & Hag ?

will-ferrell.gif

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
We know what we have with Reeder and Rozeboom.

Let's try Speights & Hummell. If they aren't any good, at least we tried.
At least put Speights in with the better of Reeder or Rozeboom. Seeing good young fast LB every Sunday playing for other teams makes me want a fast tackling machine at ILB.

fearsomefour

Legend
Goff was basically a rookie QB that McVay developed.

Goff had played 7 games and quite terribly until McVay arrived.
It wasn't his guy.
He didn't draft him or choose a guy to develop. When there was change to improve and move on he did.
Im arguing with you, Im just telling you what I was told.

Ellard80

Legend
It wasn't his guy.
He didn't draft him or choose a guy to develop. When there was change to improve and move on he did.
Im arguing with you, Im just telling you what I was told.
yeah, but thats not the narrative suggested here originally.

The narrative was that he can't develop young QBs.

Thats bullshit being that he is 1/1 in that category.

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member

2/2. He also developed Cousins. Who has routinely outperformed QBs with more talent.

fearsomefour

Legend

Thats not my narrative.
He did well with Goff.
I am saying he doesn't want to do that going forward with a rookie.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Thats not my narrative.
He did well with Goff.
I am saying he doesn't want to do that going forward with a rookie.

Agree that would set The Rams back in time .In fact it might be why The Rams made the trade to get Matthew Stafford.
—As we can all see that it was a HIGH PRICE to PAY !! Giving up Goff & those 2 1st.rd picks who could have been a high profile QB.

I look back at the Cam Akers pick? Jalen Hurts would have been a nice pick instead? If you’re putting value on a QB vs. a RB. There were a lot of good RB’s in the 2020 draft as well. -Add a O’Lineman with a first you gave away & could have even traded back.

We can all play Monday Night QB.Could have should have. I know if I was The Angels GM the last whatever many years they would have seen The Playoffs!!! The baseball draft should be a real thing. I think the way they are building the club they might finally have a chance in 2025.Paying a Redon $300 & not trading Ohtani,plus trading away all your talent to make a run last year.

fearsomefour

Legend
Agree that would set The Rams back in time .In fact it might be why The Rams made the trade to get Matthew Stafford.
—As we can all see that it was a HIGH PRICE to PAY !! Giving up Goff & those 2 1st.rd picks who could have been a high profile QB.

I look back at the Cam Akers pick? Jalen Hurts would have been a nice pick instead? If you’re putting value on a QB vs. a RB. There were a lot of good RB’s in the 2020 draft as well. -Add a O’Lineman with a first you gave away & could have even traded back.

We can all play Monday Night QB.Could have should have. I know if I was The Angels GM the last whatever many years they would have seen The Playoffs!!! The baseball draft should be a real thing. I think the way they are building the club they might finally have a chance in 2025.Paying a Redon $300 & not trading Ohtani,plus trading away all your talent to make a run last year.
RBs don't carry a ton of value in comparison to QBs for a few reasons.
Mid round draft pick RBs are just fine.

fearsomefour

Legend
2/2. He also developed Cousins. Who has routinely outperformed QBs with more talent.
True.
Again....Im not sure why I am being misunderstood....I am not saying he CANT do it, I am saying he doesn't want to.
He was OC in Washington for two years and Im sure played a large roll in Cousins development.
It may well come down to how long he plans to stay coaching. If he is giving himself a 3-5 year window, it would make sense to not take the couple of years of time (in most cases) to develop a rookie QB.....if he doesn't feel limited by that time, could well do it.
As an aside, I think Cousins has plenty of talent. Moves well enough, especially when he was younger, good arm talent etc. But, like most true pocket passers, he wins a lot pre snap, which is huge.

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
True.
Again....Im not sure why I am being misunderstood....I am not saying he CANT do it, I am saying he doesn't want to.
He was OC in Washington for two years and Im sure played a large roll in Cousins development.
It may well come down to how long he plans to stay coaching. If he is giving himself a 3-5 year window, it would make sense to not take the couple of years of time (in most cases) to develop a rookie QB.....if he doesn't feel limited by that time, could well do it.
As an aside, I think Cousins has plenty of talent. Moves well enough, especially when he was younger, good arm talent etc. But, like most true pocket passers, he wins a lot pre snap, which is huge.
Two things here fearsome.

First, when Cousins was drafted he was considered to have a weak arm and ran damn near an OL time in the 40. This is part of that equation in why he went in the 4th round. If his arm strength had wowed teams he would have went higher. Fans can go back and play hindsight games, just like the Patriots fans do with Brady. But the draft is pretty fucking thorough as it pertains to physical tools and skill set. And that moment in time spoke via the draft. What they can't measure of course is give-a-fuck, heart, etc. And in the end I consider the fact that a guy like him, being a midrounder, was developed by McVay to be even more of an argument in his favor as a QB developer. But on top of that you have Goff, whose standing in the minds of "football people" of the time was so poor that many thought he would stand in the way of Kroenke hiring a good coach. Fortunately McVay was willing to work with him and develop him.

Secondly I don't profess to know what McVay is thinking. I don't lend a lot of credence to experts who act like they do either. My own approach to this game is to trust my eyes, which precludes me from that stuff. Doesn't mean I don't guess at times, I do as it pertains to predicting performance of coaches and stuff like that. But whatever McVay wants the truth is there are three ways of acquiring QBs in this league and in some windows of time one or more of those three are limited or closed in terms of options.

So let's say you are right. That McVay doesn't want to develop a QB. When Stafford decides to hang 'em up will there be a good FA option? Or will there be a QB trade option who is up to snuff? These things determine the path in that moment. I have no idea what any of that will look like, nor do I know whether he'll just bail out for media money. But if he does stick around, then he's gonna be developing a QB even if that's not his ideal path. And this is football my man.

fearsomefour

Legend
Two things here fearsome.

First, when Cousins was drafted he was considered to have a weak arm and ran damn near an OL time in the 40. This is part of that equation in why he went in the 4th round. If his arm strength had wowed teams he would have went higher. Fans can go back and play hindsight games, just like the Patriots fans do with Brady. But the draft is pretty fucking thorough as it pertains to physical tools and skill set. And that moment in time spoke via the draft. What they can't measure of course is give-a-fuck, heart, etc. And in the end I consider the fact that a guy like him, being a midrounder, was developed by McVay to be even more of an argument in his favor as a QB developer. But on top of that you have Goff, whose standing in the minds of "football people" of the time was so poor that many thought he would stand in the way of Kroenke hiring a good coach. Fortunately McVay was willing to work with him and develop him.

Secondly I don't profess to know what McVay is thinking. I don't lend a lot of credence to experts who act like they do either. My own approach to this game is to trust my eyes, which precludes me from that stuff. Doesn't mean I don't guess at times, I do as it pertains to predicting performance of coaches and stuff like that. But whatever McVay wants the truth is there are three ways of acquiring QBs in this league and in some windows of time one or more of those three are limited or closed in terms of options.

So let's say you are right. That McVay doesn't want to develop a QB. When Stafford decides to hang 'em up will there be a good FA option? Or will there be a QB trade option who is up to snuff? These things determine the path in that moment. I have no idea what any of that will look like, nor do I know whether he'll just bail out for media money. But if he does stick around, then he's gonna be developing a QB even if that's not his ideal path. And this is football my man.
I never saw the weak arm thing with Cousins.
But, a lot of that could be him developing good timing and throwing with anticipation, ala Warner.
Its all projection.
Im basing what Im saying....and I never claimed to know what McVay is thinking or wants....on what I was told by someone in the scouting departing with the Rams. That mean it's true? No.
Does that mean, even if its true, it won't change? No.
Just a fun discussion.
It is unavoidable at some point.
Drafting a QB is crap shoot at best. McVay ability to get teams to perform keeps them at a low enough draft position (assuming they don't trade away their firsts) to not be able to draft a highly rated QB. If the Rams end up with a top 5 pick this year.....that will be an interesting discussion.

Last edited:

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
RBs don't carry a ton of value in comparison to QBs for a few reasons.
Mid round draft pick RBs are just fine.

The RB’s The Rams have on there roster now are better than fine.
-Mcvay going away from the run lost the last 2 games.
Stafford is a pure pocket passer & needs play action or solid blocking upfront.

If the O’Line was healthier & better at pass blocking with Kupp & Puke thinking could be different?

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I never saw the weak arm thing with Cousins.
But, a lot of that could be him developing good timing and throwing with anticipation, ala Warner.
Its all projection.
Im basing what Im saying....and I never claimed to know what McVay is thinking or wants....on what I was told by someone in the scouting departing with the Rams. That mean it's true? No.
Does that mean, even if its true, it won't change? No.
Just a fun discussion.
It is unavoidable at some point.
Drafting a QB is crap shoot at best. McVay ability to get teams to perform keeps them at a low enough draft position (assuming they trade away their firsts) to not be able to draft a highly rated QB. If the Rams end up with a top 5 pick this year.....that will be an interesting discussion.
Your friend could be right and still end up being wrong. Meaning McVay might not want to develop a QB. But he might decide he wants to keep coaching and end up drafting a QB at some point.

My example would be my own career. From day one my plan was to retire at 20 years. I planned meticulously for it and had a couple real nice job options offered that I was considering. But when the moment came to put in my papers I realized how much I loved the Navy and I went back to sea, in fact to a couple ships back to back to soak in all the glory of it and party like a fuckin pirate in every port call because at that point I knew I was going to miss it when I hit 30.

So we'll see man. And I am not disregarding what you are telling us via your friend. Rather I am just acknowledging that we all lie to ourselves at times, and also time can change our priorities. My fear is McVay is not gonna be around much longer. But I think we have the type of owner who might keep him around. I am sure by now, after Kroenke supported him with the Goff move, that McVay realizes how great he has it. Which means I am hoping he marinates on these things and surprises us all by sticking around a lot longer than expected.

And I would love to see him with a young high talent QB. Especially if that QB comes in while he's still got Stafford so he can sit behind him and learn. That type of thing might keep him engaged, as I think he enjoys that coach/QB connection even if relying on a rook isn't something he wants to endure.

fearsomefour

Legend
We need wolverines, not badgers, and definitely not sloths. Wolverines are just built different.

(Speaking as the girl who owns stuffed animals of all three and can appreciate all three animals.)
Ive done plenty of hiking and camping.
Some good "back country" camping too, no campground or anything.
Dealt with bears plenty of times. Known there was a mountain lion around (prints and scat) near where I was. Big cats spook me out.
But, the scariest encounter Ive had was running into a rare wolverine while hike in the Sierra Nevada....I will just say, that thing was not afraid of us at all....no matter what we did.
They are no joke.