Stetson Bennett = Joe Germaine.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
I have seen the opposite on many occasions.

I have a close friend that is a financial analyst for a water company as well as a friend who’s the CFO for a cement company.
Both tell me the same thing.
In fact, sometimes a bachelors isn’t even enough to keep climbing the ladder. Many companies now want to see a Masters.
Weird. There are so many degree mills out there now, that I just don't see how ANY company puts much stock in them. Professors AND students can use ChatGPT or other AI to coast through.

Even without cheating, online degrees are super easy to achieve if you want one. Can't fake experience though...

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Weird. There are so many degree mills out there now, that I just don't see how ANY company puts much stock in them. Professors AND students can use ChatGPT or other AI to coast through.

Even without cheating, online degrees are super easy to achieve if you want one. Can't fake experience though...
100%
You can’t fake or buy experience.
There are a lot of quality and qualified people that get looked over, only because they don’t have that framed piece of paper.

College is incredibly expensive now as well.

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
It all depends on your mindset when you start a degree. I worked in the real world for two decades and so my work ethic was established, as was my worldview. Getting anything worse than an "A" was a failure to me. What did I earn besides a couple of diplomas?
* Ability to read primary and secondary sources and retain that information for a scholarly essay.
* Ability to analyze an author's bias and the supporting sources reliability.
* Developed critical thinking skills.
* I studied subjects outside of my major that I didn't like, but pushed to succeed anyway. I also broadened my vision with subjects that I found I liked: earth science and creative writing.

I also went the trade school route and learned to drive semis and most of my adult life was spent driving commercial vehicles. I made the most money in my working life doing this. The 15 hours a day in my late 40's was killing me, so my worried wife wanted me to retire from that and she encouraged me to follow a dream that I've always had: Getting a degree. After the MA, I was diagnosed with end stage renal disease/ kidney failure and became medically retired. If I had been even 10 years younger, I would have tried Law School, but it was not to be.
Sorry to hear about your condition. I can't even comprehend what that does to your quality of life, but I sincerely wish you well.
Reading your past posts I can see your sense of humor is healthy.

My statement was a general comment on what people who hire look at when deciding who they interview. Especially entry level positions. After that there is an assumption that you can be trained for the job. Beyond that of course you have to make it thru interviews.

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Two things I remember from my younger days...

1) If there are several qualified people vying for a job and some have college degrees and some don't, might as well hire the ones with the college degree.

2) A professor once told me that taking classes works out your brain similar to exercise works out your body. Even though you may not need some of the courses that a degree requires, any courses you take improves your mind's abstract ability to make sense out of problems.

Not my opinion... just what I remember from many years ago. Personally, I have an MBA, got it at 40, and it never helped me one bit. I think MBA's are overrated. They used to be rare, and companies paid more for them, but not anymore. JMO, of course.

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Someday in the future education will adjust for performance and capability of each student. If you are intelligent and work very hard you are enrolled longer and educated to a high level to benefit society. If you are an idiot who fucks off you are "graduated" earlier and pushed into the menial job sector you deserve. So basically there is no need for "college," since higher learning should be made available for any who deserve it based on actual performance in class.

This meritocracy type of approach will be the best for society as a whole. To benefit us all as much as possible. Of course to make that happen will probably require AI instructors, because people are petty twats who play favorites and are biased and stupid and reduce the efficiency of that type of approach. But I have to hope we'll get there someday.

Of course it is possible that we begin integrating artificial subprocessers as implants, which could possibly eradicate the need for education. And the attractive side of those is that the government can tap them to know what we're thinking and maybe even implement controls based on the technology. Unless, of course, you have the means to afford the good ones.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Never went to college. Honestly didn't truly pass high school (I was simply not interested in any of the subjects, kept getting in verbal spats with teachers in my senior year, kept getting suspended.), and actually was failing all of my classes before I went directly into the work force.

And look at me now. I wouldn't have made it into college, but I've turned myself into a talented writer when nothing was expected of me from the moment I was diagnosed with autism.

Also, @Loyal , I'm so sorry. I didn't know about your diagnosis. You're an amazing and talented writer, and I'm proud to call you my friend.

TheTackle

Pro Bowler
Thanks for sharing. It is basically a fluff peace that largely quotes McVays press conference. This is the most interesting thing that he said on Stetson:

“Now, if you’re making reckless decisions in terms of… alright, your timing, your rhythm, and where the ball is going. Those are different conversations. This is a very difficult position that these guys play. These windows close fast. We want to be as consistent playing within the framework of what we’re asking as possible while also understanding that the beauty is when things go a little bit off-schedule. Consistency in the decision-making is what we’re looking to see.”

This is a great analysis of what McVay is talking about. As hard as it to understand for these talking heads, there were plenty of positives but Stetson unwisely went on a run of playing with poor footwork and got away from timing his throws. The results were plain to see…

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hNkXU4UisNo&pp=ygUPc3RldHNvbiBiZW5uZXR0

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Stetson has to show that he can see the field tonight. No doubt about it, he either shows improvement or the Rams will start looking for options for the first couple games to serve as that QB2.

Now that said he dropped some fucking dimes out there in that game. That deep out to Wig was something. That stuff isn't enough to win you a roster spot when you're completing passes to the defense, but this is preseason and he is a QB3 who didn't get a rookie year and he hasn't had a ton of snaps or focus in camp as the third dude on the depth chart. So to me when you give a guy like that an entire preseason game there is gonna be some rust and shit for him to knock off. He's gonna fuck up. On that positive side you know he can make the throws McVay needs in this offense. You know he adds nice pocket movement and mobility. And given what he did in college you know he is capable of focusing in and playing with discipline.

Will he. That's the question. It is unfortunate that the Rams need him to function as QB2 for the first two games due to Jimmy's suspension. If that wasn't the case there would be zero problem looking at him vs bottom roster types at other positions. But due to this we are now in a position where he has to quickly raise that bar or someone else gets added to cover that functionality. Gonna be rooting for him to show well tonight, hope he's been working and studying hard.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Stetson has to show that he can see the field tonight. No doubt about it, he either shows improvement or the Rams will start looking for options for the first couple games to serve as that QB2.

Now that said he dropped some fucking dimes out there in that game. That deep out to Wig was something. That stuff isn't enough to win you a roster spot when you're completing passes to the defense, but this is preseason and he is a QB3 who didn't get a rookie year and he hasn't had a ton of snaps or focus in camp as the third dude on the depth chart. So to me when you give a guy like that an entire preseason game there is gonna be some rust and shit for him to knock off. He's gonna fuck up. On that positive side you know he can make the throws McVay needs in this offense. You know he adds nice pocket movement and mobility. And given what he did in college you know he is capable of focusing in and playing with discipline.

Will he. That's the question. It is unfortunate that the Rams need him to function as QB2 for the first two games due to Jimmy's suspension. If that wasn't the case there would be zero problem looking at him vs bottom roster types at other positions. But due to this we are now in a position where he has to quickly raise that bar or someone else gets added to cover that functionality. Gonna be rooting for him to show well tonight, hope he's been working and studying hard.
Stetson homer!

View: https://i.imgur.com/1SJcNMK.gif

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
Watching the Bears game, Tyson Bagent looks like he has a brighter future as a possible QB1 and he was an UDFA. 6-3" 220 lbs, looks bigger than that, but the guy won a couple of games last yr as a starter.

And I get it, the Rams were looking for a cheap back up considering their cap issues. Si they grab Bennett, thinking a college QB that won a ton of games, mature 25 yr old rookie, could be that guy. However, drafting a guy that high, who has zero shot to be a future starter was dumb. Otherwise McVay & Sbead ha w been great, but got cute with that pick.

Now Bennett will throw for 5 TDs tonight...

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
BTW, former Ram, Daniel Hardy is apparently having a great camp in Chicago. Sounds like he is still a back up, one of those guys who is almost good enough to be an NFL player, just might not play big enough.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Still strange to see so much time and effort thrown in to a 3rd string QB to me. If any 3rd string QB ends up playing extended periods of time that team is doomed. Don't care what team it is.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
Still strange to see so much time and effort thrown in to a 3rd string QB to me. If any 3rd string QB ends up playing extended periods of time that team is doomed. Don't care what team it is.
Thanks a lot!!!

You just ruined my thread on Dresser Winn!

It was four pages long, and extremely informative and interesting. But you ruined it for everyone.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
2nd string the first 2 weeks... and it would be nice to have a young QB to groom so if something were to happen to our 36 yr old QB, that would cause him to decide to retire in the next yr or two, we wouldn't be desperate to find a QB to lead, what looks like should be a good young talented roster. Unless you are looking forward to overpaying a cast off vet like Kirk Cousins or Dak Prescott.

So yeah, it's a huge hole on our roster right now when looking at the future of this franchise.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
BTW, former Ram, Daniel Hardy is apparently having a great camp in Chicago. Sounds like he is still a back up, one of those guys who is almost good enough to be an NFL player, just might not play big enough.

Always liked Hardy as a developmental project at edge. I'd be fine with him turning into something in Chicago, especially since we have five edge rushers who seem better at the moment.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2nd string the first 2 weeks... and it would be nice to have a young QB to groom so if something were to happen to our 36 yr old QB, that would cause him to decide to retire in the next yr or two, we wouldn't be desperate to find a QB to lead, what looks like should be a good young talented roster. Unless you are looking forward to overpaying a cast off vet like Kirk Cousins or Dak Prescott.

So yeah, it's a huge hole on our roster right now when looking at the future of this franchise.
If you insist :) He's not going to play the first 2 weeks IMO. And we can't upgrade every position every year let alone every other year. Still so much time spent on the 3rd string (2nd string for 2 weeks OMG) QB that should never see the field.

And again there isn't a team out there barring a crazy fluke that will succeed with their 3rd string QB. And you want a young guy to groom? Great what round are we taking one? Oh McVay tried that and he wanted Bennett. I get you want to cut the guy but maybe just maybe let him play and let McVay make the decision. As some have pointed out, including people that know more about QB's than any of us especially me, he did have some good last weekend. Lets see how the kid reacts after his first game in a year. If he's shit the rest of the year then next year we'll draft somebody. But right now there's nobody out there that I'm aware of that would upgrade the QB3 spot and win us games.