Stetson Bennett = Joe Germaine.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Spider Man Lol GIF

That's right, those don't Don't have a PhD in Under Water Basket Weaving don't achieve goals, no motivation, and are never accountable. :eyeroll:

Honestly, if I ever have children I'm guiding them towards the certificates within the IT world or trade schools before the over priced and radicalization idiocy it's become. The world has changed from the boomer "you can't survive without a degree" mentality. Tell that to an art or philosophy major.
Certificates or Degrees are of the same ilk. It showcases you were able to complete something within a specific timeframe.

Last edited:

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
Certificates or Degrees are of the same ilk. It showcases you were able to complete something within a specific timeframe.
Just cost less and takes less time. Worked for me, but I keep hearing some companies won't look at you unless you have a college degree. Some bullshit.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Just cost less and takes less time. Worked for me, but I keep hearing some companies won't look at you unless you have a college degree. Some bullshit.
I went the IT cert route 25 years ago and will retire soon at 52. Most of my friends who went to college have done zero with their degrees. It was a 4 (or 6...or 8) year booze fest for most.

I don't begrudge anyone that goes the degree route. To each, their own, but the juice never seemed worth the squeeze to me. In IT, experience and ability to hit the ground running is worth FAR more than a degree.

College IT curriculums are outdated by the time they are done being written. Tech moves too fast.

fanotodd

Diehard
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Fanotodd
I dunno. That game winning throw was an amazing rip. I’ve seen john elway throw multiple picks and then win the game in the waning minutes—plenty of times. I saw Kurt Warner win games with more than one TO.

Winning ugly always deserves another shot. I have no problem giving him that before I roast his nuts over an open forum.

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
I went the IT cert route 25 years ago and will retire soon at 52. Most of my friends who went to college have done zero with their degrees. It was a 4 (or 6...or 8) year booze fest for most.

I don't begrudge anyone that goes the degree route. To each, their own, but the juice never seemed worth the squeeze to me. In IT, experience and ability to hit the ground running is worth FAR more than a degree.

College IT curriculums are outdated by the time they are done being written. Tech moves too fast.
School only proves that you can learn. The real world is never like the classroom.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Yeah, thankfully the GI Bill paid for mine, but today the costs are extraordinary.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
I thought the purpose of college is to get knowledge in something to make money as an adult.

I say he's probably earning more in his second year in the workforce than most of the graduates.
You’re not wrong.

However.
It would be nice if a guy took advantage of a high priced education.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
100%
Some companies will still hire you, but you won’t have the opportunity to advance without a degree.
You can be the best candidate for a position, but without a degree, you’ll be looked over.

My kids are 12, but I have been grooming them for college.
At the very least, it can open more doors.

TheTackle

Pro Bowler
I hate those whiner fucks lucked out with purdy. That shit trade should have buried them.

Agreed but, so far, despite their relative success, they haven’t stopped us winning a SB and have given us plenty to enjoy through their epic post season failures :)

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
My kids are 12, but I have been grooming them for college.
At the very least, it can open more doors.
I concur, but college is not for everyone. My children both have graduated, but thankfully, they received scholarship assistance. My brother-in-law's son (wife's brother), wants to be a diesel mechanic and has no desire to attend college.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
School only proves that you can learn. The real world is never like the classroom.
It all depends on your mindset when you start a degree. I worked in the real world for two decades and so my work ethic was established, as was my worldview. Getting anything worse than an "A" was a failure to me. What did I earn besides a couple of diplomas?
* Ability to read primary and secondary sources and retain that information for a scholarly essay.
* Ability to analyze an author's bias and the supporting sources reliability.
* Developed critical thinking skills.
* I studied subjects outside of my major that I didn't like, but pushed to succeed anyway. I also broadened my vision with subjects that I found I liked: earth science and creative writing.

I also went the trade school route and learned to drive semis and most of my adult life was spent driving commercial vehicles. I made the most money in my working life doing this. The 15 hours a day in my late 40's was killing me, so my worried wife wanted me to retire from that and she encouraged me to follow a dream that I've always had: Getting a degree. After the MA, I was diagnosed with end stage renal disease/ kidney failure and became medically retired. If I had been even 10 years younger, I would have tried Law School, but it was not to be.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Some companies will still hire you, but you won’t have the opportunity to advance without a degree.
You can be the best candidate for a position, but without a degree, you’ll be looked over.
This just isn't true. At least in my years of experience in IT. I reached director level for a fortune 10 company. I have plenty of friends and colleagues at the VP and SVP levels without 4 year degrees as well.

I took advantage of the generous company tuition reimbursement and ended up getting close to finishing my BSIT, but never needed it. I think I am 12 credits short, so maybe I will finish it in retirement just for the sake of it.

That's the trick in IT. Get the cert and get to work, then make the company help pay for your degree if you choose to get one.

Last edited:

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
This just isn't true. At least in my years of experience in IT. I reached director level for a fortune 10 company. I have plenty of friends and colleagues at the VP and SVP levels without 4 year degrees as well.
I have seen the opposite on many occasions.

I have a close friend that is a financial analyst for a water company as well as a friend who’s the CFO for a cement company.
Both tell me the same thing.
In fact, sometimes a bachelors isn’t even enough to keep climbing the ladder. Many companies now want to see a Masters.

Last edited:

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
In fact, sometimes a bachelors isn’t even enough to keep climbing the ladder. Many companies now want to see a Masters.
It is so true, that is why if you can latch onto an organization or a State or Government Agency, you can get educational assistance for Graduate Programs. My son (Software Engineer) decided to work for the Federal Government based on that rational.