Stafford and those 2 first-rounders - worth it?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Stafford is significantly better than Goff, that there is no doubt.
Worth it? I'd say TBD, however that change to a yes over the next few weeks

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

i think it's worth it for mcvay because he looked miserable last season. his tough love approach to goff didn't work and actually made him play worse. he just couldn't work with goff anymore. not sure what happened there.

Tano

Legend
Last year's offense:

4014 passing yards (13th in NFL)
20 passing TDs (26th in NFL)
6.5 net yards per attempt (16th)
372 points (22nd in NFL)

This year:
4141 passing yards (6th in NFL)
36 passing TDs (2nd in NFL)
7.3 net passing yards per attempt (2nd)
416 points (6th in NFL)

Let's not forget how gross our offense was last year. 20th in yards per attempt, 22nd in passer rating. This year, we're 3rd in both. Last year, the Rams were tied for 12th out of the 14 playoff teams in passer rating, 11th in yards per attempt. In other words, the Rams had one of the worst passing attacks out of any team that made the playoffs.

In 2020 it was the defense and running game that lifted the team to the playoffs. This year the Rams passing game is its strongest asset and has lifted the Rams to 1st place in spite of a defense that fell from no 1 to middle of the pack, injuries to the RBs and outside of Matt Gay, not so hot special teams.

There has not been a reversal in the decline of Jared Goff, the player. They were going to move on from him anyway. If they hadn't done it last year, that's what would be dominating the board conversation again. They got someone to take on his contract and they got an upgrade, substantial, by the numbers.
And I still blame Blythe for a lot of that decline.

Yes one player can make a HUGE difference if they are a really bad weak link and Blythe was that last year.

Goff had no chance on some of his throws.

And note that Blythe hasn't even played for KC this year even with their huge turnover in their OL.

But yes Stafford is > Goff. Worth 2 1sts and a third - that is a good question and I have not made up my mind

Tano

Legend

i think it's worth it for mcvay because he looked miserable last season. his tough love approach to goff didn't work and actually made him play worse. he just couldn't work with goff anymore. not sure what happened there.

That is very true but I wish McVay would have pumped up Goff after the GB game last year so that they could possibly have gotten Stafford for less than 2 1sts. Instead - he says ... Goff is my QB .... right now

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
That is very true but I wish McVay would have pumped up Goff after the GB game last year so that they could possibly have gotten Stafford for less than 2 1sts. Instead - he says ... Goff is my QB .... right now

it was already a done deal.

you don't think holmes and snead were having a lot of chats about stafford before that game? there's no way he says that if the deal wasn't already in place.

Tano

Legend
it was already a done deal.

you don't think holmes and snead were having a lot of chats about stafford before that game? there's no way he says that if the deal wasn't already in place.

Was it in place or was it in the works? I still say that pumping up Goff would have been better no matter what.

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
I think that with our team missing so much practice time due to covid this is a bad year to judge our new QB.

Oregonram

OregonRam
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2 of Stafford’s poorer performances came against teams in his former division…GB and Vikes…possibly familiarity. Sean got a bit obsessed early in the year with overusing Stafford and forgetting about the run game…that cost the team and Stafford personally with INT’s and sacks against. Henderson was not going to be the answer, but Michele is a bell cow type back, and has been a godsend. Every now and again I worry about empty backfields when we are backed up near our end zone, which bit us again against Vikings. I believe if Sean continues to establish Michele, Matthew can continue his hero ball escape from Detroit mentality and become the playoff QB we all know he can be.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
Just a reminder, we had to throw in an extra first to get out of cap hell and the massive Goff contract.

So it's not just Goff vs Stafford, it's

Goff and humongous contract vs Stafford and reasonable contract.

So yeah, trade was definitely worth it IMHO
Do we now give Stafford a humongous contract though?

He can really win me over if he pulls a Tom Brady and says $20M is enough... and he doesn't want a $40M contract. After all he is one of the big bonus babies that got the huge rookie deals that are no longer given out to #1 picks.

Now for some sobering stats...

nighttrain

Legend

He can really win me over if he pulls a Tom Brady and says $20M is enough... and he doesn't want a $40M contract. After all he is one of the big bonus babies that got the huge rookie deals that are no longer given out to #1 picks.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
2 of Stafford’s poorer performances came against teams in his former division…GB and Vikes…possibly familiarity. Sean got a bit obsessed early in the year with overusing Stafford and forgetting about the run game…that cost the team and Stafford personally with INT’s and sacks against. Henderson was not going to be the answer, but Michele is a bell cow type back, and has been a godsend. Every now and again I worry about empty backfields when we are backed up near our end zone, which bit us again against Vikings. I believe if Sean continues to establish Michele, Matthew can continue his hero ball escape from Detroit mentality and become the playoff QB we all know he can be.
True to an extent, but some of his decision making looks rookie-like at times. I thought that was a big reason for the trade, to have a vet that didn't do that crap and who McVay could trust to make good decisions and not baby him. Now we have a guy who if he doesn't baby, will occasionally go wild and shoots us in the foot.

That is why I am disappointed... I didn't think I would have to hold my breath when he drops back to pass inside our 20 like he was a first yr 6th round pick.

Oregonram

OregonRam
Rams On Demand Sponsor
True to an extent, but some of his decision making looks rookie-like at times. I thought that was a big reason for the trade, to have a vet that didn't do that crap and who McVay could trust to make good decisions and not baby him. Now we have a guy who if he doesn't baby, will occasionally go wild and shoots us in the foot.

That is why I am disappointed... I didn't think I would have to hold my breath when he drops back to pass inside our 20 like he was a first yr 6th round pick.
You are walking a high wire with any QB going empty on your 10 yard line. Why let the defense off the hook trying to defend the run?

Tano

Legend
You are walking a high wire with any QB going empty on your 10 yard line. Why let the defense off the hook trying to defend the run?
Yeah but that one interception where he was throwing to the right sideline, the receiver was open.

In that scenario - make sure you throw it where only the receiver can catch it.

That was the one throw that I was really upset with Stafford.

The other two interceptions .... ehh

Hit right after (?) he tried to throw a long pass to a wide open Jefferson deep

Ball tipped at the line of scrimmage - happens

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
The team is way more fun to watch and has a real good chance at SB. It is worth it. Plus, this is his first season so there will be improvement ahead. Also I think Snead and McVay have proven that any draft pick No matter the position can have real positive impact on our team and with a very low cost financially. So the cost of Stafford was the cost, but the loss of the draft picks can be compensated for.

Last edited:

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Absolutely. Last year at this time everyone was sweating that the team that had a sure a playoff spot locked up and a shot at the division title to having a week 17 "win or go home" game. That's despite having a #1 D.

This year a playoff spot is already locked up w/ 2 games left w/ the division still up for grabs w/ a defensive step back. Did you know the D hasn't had a return TD this year? Last year they had 4.

dang

Legend
We all know McVay and Snead are in constant motion to improve the team. More than any team that I can recall. With that said, Goff last year showed McSnead exactly what to expect from Goff. In their minds, it wasn’t going to be enough to be competitive with the best teams. And they weren’t willing to wait for a Rodgers, Watson or perhaps Wilson to be available. They wanted improvement NOW. so they went hard after Stafford. So while they did not pick up a top 3 QB they did improve by picking up a top 10 QB. A hefty price but a definitive improvement.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Worth it? I’d say yes. Was it a lot? Yes. But it’s more than just face value. You’ve got to look at circumstances. If the Rams didn’t already amass so much talent and felt they were close to being a Super Bowl winner, they may not make that trade. Urgency played a part.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2022 TOP Member
TBD as other have said and should be the only answer IMO. As McVay himself said over and over it isn't about winning a trade or an offseason, it's about winning a Super Bowl. If he wins us one or more then yes absolutely worth it. If not it's just another trade we made trying to get us there that fell short.

RamUK

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
He can really win me over if he pulls a Tom Brady and says $20M is enough.
To be quite honest, he can pull me off if he signs for 20m and allows us to strengthen further.

Status
Not open for further replies.