St. Louis Rams vs. Oakland Raiders Official Game Day thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

NateTheRam

Rookie
Name
Nathan
I did, you are correct.
Foles did look confortable, we are missing Quick and Gurley.. But overall it is preseason and didn't really show anything besides we all know Tavon is a stud. Give the ball to him all day and he will break loose and score.

iced

Two nice plays. He defended against a long TD pass and made an interception. He was also beat for TD though.

Joyner was beat for the first TD - oakland only got 3 points against the starting D.

MrMotes

Starter
I find this to be a silly take on penalties. Penalties are mistakes. Mistakes should be addressed and corrected. I don't understand any other stance on this.

You can call it silly if you want but the teams making the most "mistakes' are winning super bowls and going to the playoffs on a regular basis.

So maybe penalties aren't as unequivocally negative as you might think?

MrMotes

Starter
My observation from the lackluster performance and I don't care that's it's preseason you still want to see your team battle and the Raiders looked better in all areas of the game.

Offense: Good start and Saffold once again is hurt I thought Garrett Reynolds was first OL off the bench, but enter Brandon "freakin" Washington who always seems like he's a day late and a dollar short. Foles does have a long delivery and very few pass plays were down the field I don't fault Cook on the pass in the corner, it was well covered and would've have been a difficult catch.

Thought LT Darrell Williams played solid coming in after GROB felt that Barnes and Jones played good at center, but what a difference when you watch somebody like the Raiders Rodney Hudson...IMO Bill Musgrave's offense trumped Frank Cignetti's as Cig's first go round calling plays came off pedestrian IMO, however, Mannion in his short stint looked capable OT Andrew Donnal seemed to be pushed back quite often in pass protection.

Defense: Understood that they did not show much, but still too much of a cushion on coverage and need to clean up giving up long runs. All three Raider QB's completed like 90% of their throws and if Tru does not make a nice play the score would've been worse and the Rams did not have one sack in the game I don't think a few close, but no cigar.

Growing tired of penalties under this coaching staff seems to always be an issue from preseason on I understand they want the players to play with an edge, but Oakland came off much tougher and only had two accepted penalties you don't count offsetting penalties like the first one on Armstrong.

Overall besides the fact that Brown & Havenstein held up good I really don't think there was much to like as a Ram fan. Growing tired of something although it's preseason you still want certain areas to show some growth. IMO practicing against the Cowboys can only help and I would like to see more of Pead than Watts going forward and again the offense which is supposed to focus on the running game was as interesting as going to the drive in to actually watch the movie.

Next week IMO the team will be more focused because Fisher & Williams will want to defeat the Titans and I hope the Cignetti can design more plays that actually stretches the defense...One other quick note Chris Givens looked good and I concur with him changing his number because donning 19 made him appear much faster!

You're one of my favorite posters den but i don't want Cignetti designing plays for preseason games.

Living in LA., i've seem my share of Raiders preseason football and it's amazing how often they look really solid only to be their usual horrible selves when the games count.

The more football i watch the more i'm convinced you can't tell anything (good or bad) from preseason games, at least i cant...

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
The more football i watch the more i'm convinced you can't tell anything (good or bad) from preseason games, at least i cant...

I don't doubt that observation at all and we only have to remember the 4-0 preseason of 2011 followed by a 2-14 regular season, however, that does not take away from the fact that I still like to see my team win at every opportunity and at the very minimum are not prone to a multitude of penalties that have plagued them year in and year out under this regime.

Again if they come away injury free and 2-2 in preseason I'm usually okay, but that does not take away from the fact that they only scored 3 points against a team that struggled defensively last season and IMO that is still a concern until I see differently IMHO.

Rainram

Starter
You're one of my favorite posters den but i don't want Cignetti designing plays for preseason games.

Living in LA., i've seem my share of Raiders preseason football and it's amazing how often they look really solid only to be their usual horrible selves when the games count.

Love Den-the-Coach too.

But I'm with Mr. Motes. Not judging Cignetti poorly on this game at all. I think he'll surprise.

shovelpass

Hall of Fame
I lifted this from bleacher report, more specifically Steven Gerwel, who covers the Rams and quite well/unbiased; at least I think so.

"Jeff Fisher wanted his team ready and fresh to play the Cowboys." -Andrew Siciliano, via the Fox broadcast.

This quote pretty much sums it up.

For those who are disappointed or discouraged from tonight's performance, keep in mind that the team has a long upcoming week. The team will travel to Oxnard, California, this week for two scrimmage-style practices against the Dallas Cowboys. The Rams will then face the Tennessee Titans on Sunday, August 23, for Week 2 of the preseason.

Two scrimmages and a game in one week takes a lot of energy. Fisher was wisely conservative with his starters against Oakland. The players also tuned down the effort, which was particularly visible on the defensive side of the ball.

Come Week 1 against the Seattle Seahawks, the energy will be enormous compared to any meaningless exhibition game. You can count on that.

The preseason is what it is: Practice with cameras.

RamzFanz

Damnit
The players also tuned down the effort, which was particularly visible on the defensive side of the ball.

It really was. They weren't playing to win. They were playing to get the offense practice. They played way harder in TC before they dialed them back the last couple of days.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
No, it's not. Not when you're reaching for 3rd/4th round quality in the 2nd, and 5th/6th in the 3rd, and so on. Being FORCED to sign an injury proned olinemen (albeit a good one) isn't either. You put yourself in these positions, then you spend years digging yourself out.

Wtf is this rookie RB going to run behind btw? I hope to Christ he's Barry Sanders reborn. Hopefully he makes an appearance before the 3rd game too, and is NFL ready.

We're still building for the future though, so it's alright.
Way to early for this type of judgement.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/oakland-raiders-trent-richardson-bad-run-preseason-game-081515

richardson.vadapt.620.high.0.jpg

Trent Richardson embarrassed himself on a run in a preseason game.

Trent Richardson is looking like the Trent Richardson of old. And that’s bad news for the Oakland Raiders.

Richardson rushed for 18 yards on five carries Friday in the Raiders’ first preseason game. If he had better vision, he would have had at least five more yards and a touchdown, which would have given him some respectable stats for the game.

As you can tell from the photo above, Richardson completely missed the hole and ran straight into a pile.

You can watch the play unfold here.

I lifted this from bleacher report, more specifically Steven Gerwel, who covers the Rams and quite well/unbiased; at least I think so.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...postgame-grades-notes-and-quotes-for-st-louis

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/oakland-raiders-trent-richardson-bad-run-preseason-game-081515

richardson.vadapt.620.high.0.jpg

Trent Richardson embarrassed himself on a run in a preseason game.

Trent Richardson is looking like the Trent Richardson of old. And that’s bad news for the Oakland Raiders.

Richardson rushed for 18 yards on five carries Friday in the Raiders’ first preseason game. If he had better vision, he would have had at least five more yards and a touchdown, which would have given him some respectable stats for the game.

As you can tell from the photo above, Richardson completely missed the hole and ran straight into a pile.

You can watch the play unfold here.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...postgame-grades-notes-and-quotes-for-st-louis

All running backs miss holes, but Richardson has a habit of it. His field vision and/or ability to process quickly (lack there of) is no different than those that fail at QB.

You have it or you don't.

Richardson doesn't.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Richardson is so bad at missing holes if he was trying to come across our southern border without a pass he'd run into the only ICE agent for 20 miles.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I could care less if they win lose, tie during the preseason, but I want to see effective play, especially by our first and second unit guys.
Yes.
(but I still like to win ;))

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm with you. It's like we never get out of 2nd gear. I know it's a process to build throughout the preseason, but we seem to be in a fog for most of it. We just aren't going to flip the switch and it all falls into place. I guess we will know more when week 2 comes around.

While we all know there is no real game planning for preseason, the team still needs to be effective.

I could care less if they win lose, tie during the preseason, but I want to see effective play, especially by our first and second unit guys.

IMO, it's not so much the performance as much as it is the trend. We've seen this every year with Fisher and every year we hear how they aren't game planning, etc. Then when the season starts, it takes them half the season to get going. And this doesn't even cover the stupid penalties we see every year.

It's like Fisher and the team just don't learn from the past. I'm actually hoping Dallas takes it to the Rams next week in practice to get them into game shape because Fisher's Camp Charmin doesn't seem to do it.

My observation from the lackluster performance and I don't care that's it's preseason you still want to see your team battle and the Raiders looked better in all areas of the game.

I will add that this coaching staff, rather than do things that gain my confidence, continue down a trajectory of continuing to lose my confidence in them.

I don't doubt that observation at all and we only have to remember the 4-0 preseason of 2011 followed by a 2-14 regular season, however, that does not take away from the fact that I still like to see my team win at every opportunity and at the very minimum are not prone to a multitude of penalties that have plagued them year in and year out under this regime.
^^^These thoughts... this is how I see things in THIS pre-season... I'd like the team to come out playing competitvely and crisply.

Thus far in Jeff Fisher's time with the Rams, I haven't seen much of that in pre-season. So, I think it's time we did see that... not an unreasonable expectation, I think.

That's why I buy into the below quote as well. Top tier teams commit a lot of penalties and still win? I don't care. Bottom dwellers commit far fewer and still lose? I don't care.
I care about the Rams. And, since Jeff Fisher arrived, they are among the league leaders in penalties and have not broken .500. I know... penalties aren't the only reason, but - to me - ignoring the correlation (as far as this team is concerned) is just trying to win an argument to prove a theory.
The NFL is made up of 32 teams, each with different strengths and weaknesses. Each with varying abilities to overcome penalties. These Rams have proven - to me at least - that they are not good at that. So, I think this holds true when it comes to the Rams right now...
I find this to be a silly take on penalties. Penalties are mistakes. Mistakes should be addressed and corrected. I don't understand any other stance on this.

RamzFanz

Damnit
I don't mind aggressive penalties, it's the stupid ones that kill the Rams. If your getting unsportsmanlike like or roughing the passer, it needs to be stopped.

MrMotes

Starter
I don't mind aggressive penalties, it's the stupid ones that kill the Rams. If your getting unsportsmanlike like or roughing the passer, it needs to be stopped.

Isn't roughing the passer a classic example of an aggressive penalty? It's a pretty fine line some times. And if you err on the side of being aggressive and beating the crap out of the other team's QB, isn't that generally going to help you win games?