St. Louis Rams vs. Oakland Raiders Official Game Day thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
That's the moral?

Uh, duh! :p

And @Username the hell away from me! He's supposed to be stalking Bellichick.
no, I meant having a headache is one penalty but having username punch you in the dick is offsetting...

Never mind. I'm taking a nap.

Alan

Legend
-X- with this:
You expect him to die?
That's a little harsh, don'tcha think? :eek:
Fear for his nads Mr. -X-. Kind of like getting punched in the dick by @Username no ? ;) I think you might have missed the whole point of that scene. Watch it again.

RamzFanz

Damnit
Nobody said they don't matter (that I know of). It's just that when you have teams winning Super bowls who lead the league in penalties, and teams with horrible records who are the best at avoiding them, it kind of solidifies the idea that there's no correlation between penalties and success (or lack thereof).

You just need good players and a good plan. Everything else will take care of itself.

So, commit more penalties?

PFaulk

Rookie
Name
Dan
Whoa.

Dat penalties debate, am I right?

I think at the end of the day, can we all agree that no coach is perfect, no team is perfect, and eventually you have to prioritize certain aspects of the game perhaps to the detriment of some others?

I mean, that's just real life.

So what portion of practice does Fisher take away from in order to make the team more cognizant about not committing penalties?

I think the realistic answer is probably gonna be, "he's not gonna." Right, wrong, or indifferent, that's just not going to be a priority for him.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
So what portion of practice does Fisher take away from in order to make the team more cognizant about not committing penalties?
Why would he have to take anything away?

It's called coaching.

False starts, for example... I'd guess you can practice that pretty easily while you are coaching blocking skills?

PFaulk

Rookie
Name
Dan
Why would he have to take anything away?

It's called coaching.

False starts, for example... I'd guess you can practice that pretty easily while you are coaching blocking skills?

You'd guess wrong.

The reason why most guys get false start penalties is that they're trying to have a quicker first step than their opponent off the snap. Coaches work on getting the first step down from the first day of practice. It's the first thing linemen do in unit drills. It's pretty much the bedrock of the entire exercise.

So yeah, you would be taking something away. You're always taking something away if you want guys to do something differently, that's just reality and time management in practice.

It's not like Martz wouldn't have loved a team that didn't turn the ball over, if he could have a perfect team. But there's no such monster. You have to make choices. His choice was to have an aggressive offense. Fisher is to have a physical, explosive team. Guess what has to go sometimes when you do that?

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
You'd guess wrong.

The reason why most guys get false start penalties is that they're trying to have a quicker first step than their opponent off the snap. Coaches work on getting the first step down from the first day of practice. It's the first thing linemen do in unit drills. It's pretty much the bedrock of the entire exercise.

So yeah, you would be taking something away. You're always taking something away if you want guys to do something differently, that's just reality and time management in practice.

It's not like Martz wouldn't have loved a team that didn't turn the ball over, if he could have a perfect team. But there's no such monster. You have to make choices. His choice was to have an aggressive offense. Fisher is to have a physical, explosive team. Guess what has to go sometimes when you do that?
Well, we'll just have to agree to disagree on this one.

As I said, when the Rams get to the super bowl (or even playoffs), I'll stop being concerned about penalties.

Until then, I don't care what Jeff Fisher has to give up... what he has been doing isn't working particularly well.

Now that I think about it, maybe he should give something up.... ;)

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I think the realistic answer is probably gonna be, "he's not gonna." Right, wrong, or indifferent, that's just not going to be a priority for him.
It's probably a pretty high priority for him, but ultimately there's nothing he can do if they happen. I mean, if Carroll, Bellyfat, and Pagano can't get their players to stop committing penalties (1, 2 and 3 last year), then why should Fisher be held more accountable?

PFaulk

Rookie
Name
Dan
Well, we'll just have to agree to disagree on this one.

As I said, when the Rams get to the super bowl (or even playoffs), I'll stop being concerned about penalties.

Until then, I don't care what Jeff Fisher has to give up... what he has been doing isn't working particularly well.

Now that I think about it, maybe he should give something up.... ;)

Ha!

Well, that's certainly your prerogative to think so, and I doubt you're alone in that opinion.

But the guy's been doing this for, what, 20 years? I doubt this is an aspect of his coaching that is going to change.

I'm more like, "take the good with the bad, let's see where it goes. He's been to the Big Show before, maybe he'll do it again here."

At least, I certainly hope so. And I don't think lowering penalties is the price of admission.

PFaulk

Rookie
Name
Dan
It's probably a pretty high priority for him, but ultimately there's nothing he can do if they happen. I mean, if Bellyfat, Carroll and Pagano can't get their players to stop committing penalties (1, 2 and 3 last year), then why should Fisher be held more accountable?

Life is a series of trade offs. There's not enough time in the day to be good at everything, unfortunately.

If you want to be the first team off the snap every time, and the team that generates the mos turnovers through your pass rush, and the team that hits the hardest, you're probably not going to lead the league in fewest penalties.

If you want to be the team that throws all over creation, and is able to run the score up on everyone, and has no fear at takes all the throws, you're probably not going to have the least amount of turnovers.

If you take all of your time preaching discipline, and fundamentals, and form tackling and knowing the snap count and squaring up your blocks, you're probably not going to be the most dynamic team in the league.

So you have to make choices.

The choices become easier when you have the best players!