St. Louis Rams vs. Oakland Raiders Official Game Day thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

V3

Hall of Fame
Still trying to figure out what they see in Joyner. If he's the best third corner that we can come up with then Gaines can have one of my feet! EJ can't get back soon enough!
Love his heart and leadership but he just can't compete physically. He isn't fast or quick enough for the slot and isn't big enough for the outside. In college, he'd be invisible for long stretches but then come up with a big play which is why I think so many people liked him.

V3

Hall of Fame
Main thing that is troubling for me is that the refs already have it out for us.... we have 10 penalties and Oakland has 2?? Some things never change.
The way to change that is to change the perception. The Rams will have to play perfect, clean football for a long stretch to force the refs to look at them differently. The Rams still commit their fair share of those penalties so the refs still err on the side of calling it against them if it's even close.

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
they are on fox 2 in the bay area. And CBS in the central valley. Where you at
I am in Redding. It didn't come on any of the DTV channels for my area. Had to wait for the 10 pm NFLNet showing. Only saw the first Qrt ... all I needed to see lol

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
So did Warner. Not saying Keenum is Warner, just saying Warner threw a wobbly ball.
This cracked me up a little. Not because of what you said, but because you had to immediately clarify what you meant. It doesn't happen here a lot (you know where it does), but it's so funny how we have to make it known we're not comparing talents when we point out specific traits. You know, before we encounter the inevitable "Oh so now Keenum is Kurt Warner???? You're an idiot!" replies.

lol

Still kinda chuckling at that.

MTRamsFan

Montana is God's Country
Name
Greg
-I am sorta sick of hearing "it's just pre season". It seems like this is a trend. I wish just once we came out and dominated with our first team. But whatevs.

I'm with you. It's like we never get out of 2nd gear. I know it's a process to build throughout the preseason, but we seem to be in a fog for most of it. We just aren't going to flip the switch and it all falls into place. I guess we will know more when week 2 comes around.

-Can we please come up with a nickname for Hekker? I mean cmon. Also, I can't tell who hits the ball harder, him or Legatron.

How about "Howitzer Hekker?"

-I didn't see the Saffold injury, but it is frustrating that he's always getting hurt. Washington is bad, Robinson did alright, the rest of the line looked great.

Agree. Saffold needs to be healthy, and yes Washington is bad, really bad. He reminds me of Joseph in many ways.

FRO

Legend
This cracked me up a little. Not because of what you said, but because you had to immediately clarify what you meant. It doesn't happen here a lot (you know where it does), but it's so funny how we have to make it known we're not comparing talents when we point out specific traits. You know, before we encounter the inevitable "Oh so now Keenum is Kurt Warner???? You're an idiot!" replies.

lol

Still kinda chuckling at that.
It doesn't happen here, but after being a poster at the other site for years I've made it a habit to be super clear on what I'm saying.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay

Keep in mind he had not put on pads for like a year before this. He definitely needs help with his hand usage and engaging blockers, but he'd be a very good developmental DT to work with. Keep him on the PS and let him learn from Waufle and he might make a very good backup. That get off could be disastrous for other teams if he got the proper technique. That kind of quickness isn't common at all.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm with you. It's like we never get out of 2nd gear. I know it's a process to build throughout the preseason, but we seem to be in a fog for most of it. We just aren't going to flip the switch and it all falls into place. I guess we will know more when week 2 comes around.

Then how does it happen? If they don't get better and turn it on by playing more and more how does it happen?

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

i find that hard to believe.

on one play donald, oblivious to where the ball was going, looked like he was just practicing beating his man. he was past him and 2 to 3 yards into the backfield before the raiders lineman even got halfway out of his stance. the lineman was like , wtf, where is he?

the season can't start fast enough.

MTRamsFan

Montana is God's Country
Name
Greg
Then how does it happen? If they don't get better and turn it on by playing more and more how does it happen?

I think you need to re-read what I said. My point is we are not going to just show up Week 1 against Seattle and everything just starts to "click." Preseason is a time the team needs to get in sync, and some guys need more work than others. While we all know there is no real game planning for preseason, the team still needs to be effective. You cannot tell me you watched the game last night and didn't once think WTF. I could care less if they win lose, tie during the preseason, but I want to see effective play, especially by our first and second unit guys.

rams2050

Starter
Oakland are putting some pieces in order. You get a franchise QB and then you put weapons around him. Amari Cooper is a beast. Sam Bradford never had a talent like that in all his time with the Rams.

Well, if St. Louis somehow doesn't keep the Rams and some ownership group appears out of the blue to purchase the Raiders (St. Louis River Raiders), at least the team isn't nearly as pathetic as last year's version -- AND it comes with Jack del Rio, who I know isn't great but I think he could be good, at least. Fisher has yet to convince me that he's anything more than mediocre, although I'm still hoping he'll do that this season.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I'm pretty sure that Reynolds would have replaced Saffold in a real game but we already know what we have with him, thus Washington who is trying to make my prediction that he'll be cut come true. Had Jones not been playing center he might have replaced Saffold too.

Very excellent points Alan. Reynolds played 1st team OLG in OTA's. While Brandon Washington played 1st team OLT. I believe strongly that Garrett Reynolds, Saffold & Brown are our top trio of OG's. Reynolds would have seemed to have sealed his position on this master roster where BW was provided big time to show he is worth consideration.:palm:

No excuses should be tolerated & used to prop up BW at this stage of his NFL life:huh:. He has been here since 2012 & Boudreau played him in the best position that matches his (limited) skills set. It sure appears that BW can not help this Ram OL move forward in effective play. Other Ram OG's (outside the starters) ....Travis Bond only plays one OL post, Right OG. The best pure back up @ both OG's should of been Cody Wichmann but he has been laid up forevero_O. David Wang has seen some OLG but should not be in with the first team.

Here something positive to add here on this...once the starting center position is won...lets say its Tim Barnes who from all accounts held up well even with Washington throwing out stink bombs. The now back up centers can rush into the back up OL areas like the OLG post. Both Barrett Jones & Rhaney have shown excellent versatility in their past history's. (y)

Last edited:

fearsomefour

Legend
Very excellent points Alan. Reynolds played 1st team OLG in OTA's. While Brandon Washington played 1st team OLT. I believe strongly that Garrett Reynolds, Saffold & Brown are our top trio of OG's. Reynolds would have seemed to have sealed his position on this master roster where BW was provided big time to show he is worth consideration.:palm:

No excuses should be tolerated & used to prop up BW at this stage of his NFL life:huh:. He has been here since 2012 & Boudreau played him in the best position that matches his (limited) skills set. It sure appears that BW can not help this Ram OL move forward in effective play. Other Ram OG's (outside the starters) ....Travis Bond only plays one OL post, Right OG. The best pure back up @ both OG's should of been Cody Wichmann but he has been laid up forevero_O. David Wang has seen some OLG but should not be in with the first team.

Here something positive to add here on this...once the starting center position is won...lets say its Tim Barnes who from all accounts held up well even with Washington throwing out stink bombs. The now back up centers can rush into the back up OL areas like the OLG post. Both Barrett Jones & Rhaney have shown excellent versatility in their past history's. (y)
I agree with Reynolds and Washington. Although, I don't understand playing Washington at G. The times he has looked good have been at tackle. At G last night he was pretty brutal. I don't know if I even seen an NFL lineman turn and chase rushers as much as he does.
Robinson played on ice skates a lot of last night. He is athletic enough to recover sometimes vs a super athletic pass rusher, but, he does not look the part of dominator yet at this point.
Barnes was ok. Solid in the pass game and no push in the run game to to speak of....same Barnes we saw when he played. Based on last night only he slides to #3 to me.
Jones was not good. Very disappointed. He was playing against the 2nd team D and was routinely beaten on first move. Pass blocking was ok, but, he was consistently pushed backward and beaten in the run game.
Rhaney who played later on was better, still not great. That was second half action. I am starting Rhaney in the next preseason game to see what he can do vs. ones.
Are there any FA Cs out there?
Positive play overall from the right side.
Starters for me next week are Robinson/Saffold/Rhaney/Brown/Havenstein if Saffold is still banged up (shocking) I would play Reynolds at LG.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I agree with Reynolds and Washington. Although, I don't understand playing Washington at G. The times he has looked good have been at tackle. At G last night he was pretty brutal. I don't know if I even seen an NFL lineman turn and chase rushers as much as he does.
Morning fearsomefour
Tackle? How many 6-2 320 pound OLT's are playing in the NFL?
http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/_/id/15094/brandon-washington
Starters for me next week are Robinson/Saffold/Rhaney/Brown/Havenstein if Saffold is still banged up (shocking) I would play Reynolds at LG.
I sure have no issue with this suggested line up but Saffold has still chucks of rust to get knocked off if you recall he was injured in the first series of the first quarter when he was our starting ORT in 2013....that year did not work out well for him.

I would go with Barrett Jones with 1st team next game myself & let Rhaney run with the 2nd. I think Rhaney will have a role this season & make the master roster but not as starting OC.

V3

Hall of Fame
I definitely see what everyone was saying about Nick. He's gotta get rid of it. But he has a hell of an arm.
I'm sure Foles needs to get it out faster but they even said on the broadcast last night that the WRs weren't getting open for him so it made it worse. I know most people here really like our WRs but I just don't see any of them consistently getting open or running good routes. They even pointed out how poor Tavon's route was.

The QB has to trust the WRs to be open and to run the proper route and run it well. If they don't, you're going to see hesitation(taking too long to throw it).