Snead on negotiations with Aaron Donald: 'No movement'

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Want to hold out for camp - fine by me, just come prepared to play

I'm hoping this is his goal LOL.

It's hard for the players union to go against the owners because it's much easier to unite 32 owners than it is than it is almost 2,000 players. Many of those players are fringe players. In any line of work if you have an opportunity to make a ton of money, go for it. Donald deserves to be the highest defensive player in the game. He's that good. It would be bad business for him and the rest of the players for him to take anything less.

We don't know the weight of the offer the Rams made, only that it was "substantial". This makes be believe that it was more than the Suh deal and Demoff is a slimeball but he knows what AD is worth so I can't imagine he put an offer on the table that didn't make him the highest paid defensive player in the NFL. He is too smart to do that and piss off this agent.

The other side that I think we (or at least I) fail to often appreciate is the pressure these guys get from the players association to max out these deals and work for player friendly structures.

There is also pressure on the agents because they want to say to a prospective client that they get the most money. It's part of their marketing platform. They like to "offer" more than the other guys. It can range from helping the player and potentially family move to the new city, providing a trusted financial adviser, maybe an advance and the opportunity to have a big contract in 3 or 4 years when he re-ups or becomes a FA.

And truthfully right now with the way money is being throw at free agents anyone not encouraging their high profile clients to go to free agency is not upholding their fiduciary duty.

The Rams best shot IMO is putting a clause in that assures AD that if he isn't still in the top 5 highest paid defensive players in say year four of a 6 year deal that they will redo the deal to get him there. Assuming he is still playing lights out of course, if not then he isn't worth the contract and gets cut. Or something to this effect. There needs to be a way to make him the top paid defensive player now and give him the peace of mind knowing that salaries are going to balloon in the next 2-3 years and that he will be upgraded a bit more.

Giving Donald a two year opt out is a deal breaker and if he is demanding that and is sticking to it then my strategy immediately changes and I'm letting him sit while I seek trade partners.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Did the players, through their representatives,sign the CBA?

If the owners are doing anything not agreed to by ALL SIDES in the CBA, then bust them. Same thing for players like AD who still have years left on his original contract. He has the option of not playing for the Rams and getting fined for YEARS against potential earnings when he does play...or, show up for PreSeason and negotiate over the "substantial offer" ,per Adam Schefter, by the Rams. AD isn't playing for free, btw (saying otherwise is essentially BS), he will make more than most working joes will earn in a lifetime. I'm not jealous and good for him that he can earn that kind of money. He, through his agent, is trying to shake down the Rams for a max contract when that's not possible this year.

Also, while AD does deserve a lot more money, he also has to give the Rams some sort of break for giving up a contract advantageous to them, so that he can have long term security and a huge amount of bonus money, but not necessarily a record breaking amount.

Players ARE the product.

Why should any player not go for the max?

So the owners can lock out players in violation of the CBA, but players are supposed to worry about fans?

If AD has a ACL before he gets that big contract, who's gonna ante up for what should be a record setting contract?

It's his life. I'm fine if he retires tomorrow. Like goes on. I have no right to judge him or his motives.

That's my take.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
If that's what he's worried about, I like the kid we drafted and not money hungry bastid he's become.
LOL....you and Mac are killing me....making me forget I'm missing games. He's still the same kid...just a little more aware. Dude is getting advice from the real money hungry guy....and it's good advice...no matter how much we fans hate it...

A game, presumably he loves to play.
He still loves the game...but all this injury stuff...cte...probably has him a little concerned about his future.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Players ARE the product.

Why should any player not go for the max?

So the owners can lock out players in violation of the CBA, but players are supposed to worry about fans?

If AD has a ACL before he gets that big contract, who's gonna ante up for what should be a record setting contract?

It's his life. I'm fine if he retires tomorrow. Like goes on. I have no right to judge him or his motives.

That's my take.
Like I already said to someone else, how much money is AD giving back if he rips his ACL the day after he gets a max deal? You know the answer. there is risk on both sides

FRO

Legend
I'm hoping this is his goal LOL.

We don't know the weight of the offer the Rams made, only that it was "substantial". This makes be believe that it was more than the Suh deal and Demoff is a slimeball but he knows what AD is worth so I can't imagine he put an offer on the table that didn't make him the highest paid defensive player in the NFL. He is too smart to do that and tick off this agent.

There is also pressure on the agents because they want to say to a prospective client that they get the most money. It's part of their marketing platform. They like to "offer" more than the other guys. It can range from helping the player and potentially family move to the new city, providing a trusted financial adviser, maybe an advance and the opportunity to have a big contract in 3 or 4 years when he re-ups or becomes a FA.

And truthfully right now with the way money is being throw at free agents anyone not encouraging their high profile clients to go to free agency is not upholding their fiduciary duty.

The Rams best shot IMO is putting a clause in that assures AD that if he isn't still in the top 5 highest paid defensive players in say year four of a 6 year deal that they will redo the deal to get him there. Assuming he is still playing lights out of course, if not then he isn't worth the contract and gets cut. Or something to this effect. There needs to be a way to make him the top paid defensive player now and give him the peace of mind knowing that salaries are going to balloon in the next 2-3 years and that he will be upgraded a bit more.

Giving Donald a two year opt out is a deal breaker and if he is demanding that and is sticking to it then my strategy immediately changes and I'm letting him sit while I seek trade partners.
Demoff is the same guy that couldn't lock up Jenkins and vastly overpaid for Austin. I'm not 100% confident he will come through. Sometimes I think he tries to get too cute.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Have to think he is going to report, but there is a possibility AD does not want to be a Ram, and is trying to force a trade.

Why?

Demoff is the same guy that couldn't lock up Jenkins

Jenkins was a free agent. He went to the highest bidder. There isn't a "lock up" in free agency the younger players take the biggest money every time.

FRO

Legend
Why?

Jenkins was a free agent. He went to the highest bidder. There isn't a "lock up" in free agency the younger players take the biggest money every time.
They were talking to Jenkins at least a year before he was a free agent. He wasn't happy with what they were offering.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
They were talking to Jenkins at least a year before he was a free agent. He wasn't happy with what they were offering.

He wanted to go to free agency.........it's how it goes a lot of the time these days.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
He wanted to go to free agency.........it's how it goes a lot of the time these days.
Yeah, Jenkins didn't really care what the Rams were offereing...He wanted the Free Agency Bonanza, cuz he and his baby's Mommas have a lot of mouths to feed!

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
And the Rams weren't happy with what he was asking.
$60M is a lot of cheddar for a corner on a team that uses pressure up front to make the corner's job easier.

Ramfansince79

Rookie
Name
Ramsfan79
Yeah cool let's him give him 20 mill a year for 7 years 80 mill guaranteed (lets not forget hi opt out clause after three years which he will use by the way ) Because the Rams are sitting bottom of the NFC west .. struggling to hit 5 wins a season ... because we can't tie up players like AO Gurley Goff and any other potential stars while Donald is sitting in his 30 million LA mansion
Didn't say that at all, and don't think that's a good idea for the Rams.
Said I don't blame the guy for wanting to get paid

UKram

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

I think he may not want to be a ram for a couple of reasons
First he may not think we win a superbowl anytime soon
Secondly .. he may not feel a 3-4 is the best fit for him

rking4441

Rookie
Name
Richard
I wonder how some of this preseason success will effect the AD negotiations if at all? I would like to add that if AD is worried about injuries before signing a new contract why doesn't his agent get him injury insurance like other players have done. I'd also like to mention that players get injured in non-football related activities all the time so there is still some risk even if he doesn't practice.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
I wonder how some of this preseason success will effect the AD negotiations if at all? I would like to add that if AD is worried about injuries before signing a new contract why doesn't his agent get him injury insurance like other players have done. I'd also like to mention that players get injured in non-football related activities all the time so there is still some risk even if he doesn't practice.

I'm sure he has had injury insurance since his rookie year. But ask yourself this - if you were an insurance company - and a defensive tackle in the NFL wanted to buy an injury policy with a 70 million dollar parachute in case of injury, how much would you want in premiums?

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'd be happy with giving him the opt out, provided he couldn't also opt out of franchise designation as well.
Just don't see how that could work though $$ wise. No cap guy but my limited understanding leads me to believe that the only way to pay him this year is in the form of a huge signing bonus that is cap friendly by spreading out the hit over the life of the deal. So if he opts out after 3, wouldn't that accelerate the cap hit?

wolfdogg

Hall of Fame
Name
wolfdogg
There's going for max contract and then there's crossing into ridiculous demands that hurt the team's ability to sign other key TEAM players. We don't know which it is at this point.

Players are the product but without fans there is no product so a little genuine consideration from players is reasonable. Not expected, but reasonable.

RamWoodie

Legend
Aaron Donald is NO DOUBT a great player so far...and I understand players trying to make their money. They days of honoring contracts are gone...and that's too bad.

There needs t be some give and take here. I think reasonable is this:

Donald will make just over 1.8 mil this year. Pay the guy a flat 6 mil now and look to a contract in 2018, which is an option year for the Rams.

BatteringRambo

Inked Gym Rat Stoner
Name
J.Fo
Not an intentional bump, out of random curiosity why haven't Clowney, Khalil Mack, Mike Evans, Zack Martin, and Blake Bortles held out as well?

One (many on this site) could state cases that each of those individuals are damn near at the top of their respective positions, also designated at 5th year options.

I realize none of us have that defined explanation to actually know 'why' . This all feels to be so out of whack, abnormal sketchy, and fucked up. I don't recall the last time, albeit under this current CBA, any 1st round draftee plays major hardball such as AD99.

Or maybe this was a moot thought and response by yours truly. Back to the bong...

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Aaron Donald is NO DOUBT a great player so far...and I understand players trying to make their money. They days of honoring contracts are gone...and that's too bad.

There needs t be some give and take here. I think reasonable is this:

Donald will make just over 1.8 mil this year. Pay the guy a flat 6 mil now and look to a contract in 2018, which is an option year for the Rams.
They offered him a "significant" deal, which he refused. I don't know what that number is, but I would think it's a lot more than $6 million...