Six takeaways from McVay’s end of year presser

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I would almost rather see Brockers gone than Floyd. Only because they already have Robinson, Greg Gaines, Joseph-Day, Morgan Fox (?), Mr. Donald, and those two undrafted free agents Hoecht and Williams. I love Michael Brockers though. Glad I'm not Les Snead (at least during the off season -lol). Also.. did anyone else notice Morgan Fox using that same hand-check move that Donald uses? I swear Aaron Donald even makes the guys around him better!

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
man throwing goff under the bus by a coach who took the blame for three and a half years. i thought it was time for him to call some people out because i was getting tired of hearing mcvay say he needed to do better at calling plays that put players in position to play to their strengths.
A coach who took the blame for 3 and a half years? Wait what? The offense has been a problem since the middle of 2017 season? Where have I been?

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
i don't doubt that goff is tough as nails but show me all these accounts that say he works his ass off and i would be glade to change my mind on him needing some competition. i have seen a lot of players that play real well during their contract year only to slide back after they get a big contract. is that because they get the big money and the hot girl friend. we have all seen some guys get twiterbated by a girl and they can't handle it like others do. this maybe fan fodder but the timing is about right
Pretty easy answer really, a simple google search will show multiple articles about his work
2019- https://theramswire.usatoday.com/2019/07/29/nfl-rams-training-camp-jared-goff-strength/
2020- https://theathletic.com/1963759/202...aining-with-3dqb-and-whats-different-in-2020/
This contract/hot girl nonsense is seriously grade school mentality. Funny how it doesnt go both ways though, as I recall McVay landed himself some pretty nice arm candy himself after signing his big contract..

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Six topics and the only one people want to discuss is Goff :( I should have just posted this in the Goff bitch thread.
My bad. I'll stick with the Goff thread. You're right, this cant be the discussion in every thread.

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
McVay landed himself some pretty nice arm candy himself after signing his big contract.

I remember all the chicks in high school telling me that all guys have is a 1-track mind. And that was true... All we thought about was sex. What we didn't know at the time, however, was that they also had 1-track minds... all they really wanted was money! Cheers to McVay and Goff... I would be after their sister-in-laws if I had their money.

iamme33

Pro Bowler
Name
dan
i was one of the oh no the cap is going to kill us but somehow they always seem to find a way to make it work out. this year there is the covid thing going on but they have made a believer out of me. so untill they fail i'm going to believe they will get her done.

Tano

Legend
Pretty easy answer really, a simple google search will show multiple articles about his work
2019- https://theramswire.usatoday.com/2019/07/29/nfl-rams-training-camp-jared-goff-strength/
2020- https://theathletic.com/1963759/202...aining-with-3dqb-and-whats-different-in-2020/
This contract/hot girl nonsense is seriously grade school mentality. Funny how it doesnt go both ways though, as I recall McVay landed himself some pretty nice arm candy himself after signing his big contract..
He was a tight ends coach when he landed his arm candy.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Goff:
2019 - 62.9 completion percentage.
2020 - 67.0 completion percentage.

Might want to bark up a different tree.

Its not accurate to look at completion percentage alone. He had a lot of throws off the mark that were still caught. His YPA went from 8.4 to 7.4 to 7.2 . He throws more short passes with each year. It can cause a percentage to rise because short passes of the mark can still be caught. But, technically you're right. Arf!

Last edited:

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
This was the plan though, Cooks is gone and instead of trying to replace him, we’re gonna dink and dunk and hope somebody can break a big one. Unfortunately defenses figured that out too which made it even tougher

It wasn't about dink and dunk. It was about "offensive efficiency".

thus deep balls were eschewed for higher percentage plays which improve the efficiency of the offense.

The problem is that part of why those short plays were so efficient and effective is that the defense still had to defend every blade of grass and giving up a big play is the worst possible outcome, so defenses tend to react to that disproportionately as compared to being able to complete a 3 yard out pass.

Thus, this season after a few games, defenses realized "hey, they're SOLELY focused on efficiency, so we don't have to defend every blade of grass anymore" and well, they were right.

The net effect of that is that those "high efficiency" plays were no longer nearly as efficient.

This where data can fail you: context.

Is a play efficient because it's inherently efficient or because it's part of a mix that forces the defense to focus less on stopping that variety of play?

In many instances this year, McVay found himself relying on plays with ZERO chance of success because unlike in previous years where a safety would have to leave an area or a misdirection would move people... it didn't work anymore.

So what does all this mean? Coupla things.

1) as much as a burner is fun, we have 3 WRs with enough speed to take the top off. Woods, Kupp and Jefferson are all plenty fast enough. A stronger argument could be made for a redzone threat in this offense.

2) unless McVay restores the deep ball, we could have 3 Tyreek Hills and it wouldnt' make any difference.

3) in order to do that, McVay must significantly bolster the pass pro of the interior OL. If you watch the GB game, most of the time, they disrupted our interior just by bull rushing.

4) None of this changes whether the QB is Goff, Watson, Wolford or someone else.

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
He was asked about the “right now” statement so he certainly had a chance to think about it and revise it but he doubled down on his “everyone is being evaluated” line which is clearly bullshit.
I haven’t heard anyone suggest a way to realistically get rid of Goff so McVay knows that we know, so what was the point of that statement. We are just coming out of the cap hits for TG and Cooks so taking on more dead money seems ludicrous. This team lacks the cap space and draft capital to do much of anything and pretending otherwise just makes McVay look like a prick.

Okay.

Here's a "realistic way" to get rid of Goff.

Trade Goff plus multiple #1s to the Texans for Watson. Watson is only due to make $10.5M in 2021 so even with the cap hit, we save around $2M.

Plus, if we make it a post-June 1st designation trade, instead of a $24M cap hit, it's like $6M this year. That wouldn't be smart unless they planned on extending Watson out further to mitigate his cap hit over the next few years.

If they did that, they'd save nearly $20M in cap AND have Watson without losing anyone on the offense.

Yeah, you pay for it with #1s, but the trade is worth it.

Am I saying do this? I dunno, maybe. I would, but only because I think Watson is a big upgrade over Goff, NOT because I don't think Goff is a good QB. At one time I thought he could be elite, but I don't think that any more. With Brees retiring, I think Watson is in that "top 5" designation with Brady, Mahomes, Wilson, Rodgers and Watson. I think Allen will replace Brady next year.

Also, McVay with Watson??? That's some Madden level shit.

Is it reasonable to think such a thing would happen?

Nope, not at all and for most teams, I'd agree with those who looked at such a move derisively.

However, Snead tried to trade 2 #1s for Khalil Mack...KNOWING he'd be a 1 year rental and just trying to have faith that he could still get 2 #1s for him the next year.

Snead also successfully dealt 2 #1s for Jalen Ramsey who I said at the time was on a HoF track and got laughed at. Anyone laughing at Ramsey's track now? Didn't think so.

So, while it's a wild, outside chance, this FO and coaching staff is and has been willing to go all in on what many consider wild moves. What's funny is that the only reason Snead didn't pull off the Mack trade was that the Raiders didn't like the value of the 2 #1s or they would have done it (Chicago hadn't stepped up as much at that point).

but to say that no one's shown a realistic way just isn't true unless you only read this forum and even then don't read most of the threads. But anyway, there ya go.

It's possible and even realistic insofar as it wouldn't take a Ditka-esque trade to make it happen. Why? NO. TRADE. CLAUSE.

Otherwise, again, I'd agree with the derisive takes that we stood no shot.

Also, it's possible that this could become a 3 team trade with someone like the Colts giving us a 1st rounder and we'd send Goff to the Colts and then send 3 #1s to the Texans for Watson.

That'd be a win-win-win for everyone. Goff behind that OL with that running game would be very, very good. Watson on the Rams would be outstanding and Houston would have more picks to replenish presuming they wouldn't want Goff in a player trade.

Point is that this scenario isn't as wild as people think.

You wanna hear wild?

How about the Rams trading for Von Miller coming off of his injury seeing as they have young talent that need reps at that position...

THAT would be wild...

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
Just to be honest.... there are really so very few top level QBs in the nfl...

rodgers, brady - have proven it over time.

Mahomes looks like a hall of famer..

Allen has had one great year..

After that... besides a couple good looking rookies... everyone else is unsatisfied.

Its just such a hard position to play.. and if other things go wrong it compounds the issues.

I'd include Wilson in that.

Can you imagine what Wilson would do in a McVay offense that didn't abandon the deep ball?

I mean, Wilson was in the MVP conversation with BRIAN SCHOTTENHEIMER as his OC!!! Think about that for a second...

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I need a break every fucking thread is about getting rid of Goff and all these crazy ideas.

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
McVay has been dating her since he was an assistant with the Redskins. I'm too lazy to find multiple sources for this, but he you go:

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
McVay has been dating her since he was an assistant with the Redskins. I'm too lazy to find multiple sources for this, but he you go:

The other thing is that McVay is such a monster that he even alluded to needing more work/life balance as maybe someone pointed out how Vermeil's first stint ended... meaning that he with his hot GF was still grinding like a bachelor.

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
The other thing is that McVay is such a monster that he even alluded to needing more work/life balance as maybe someone pointed out how Vermeil's first stint ended... meaning that he with his hot GF was still grinding like a bachelor.
I didn't mean to perpetuate the idea that Goff doesn't work hard or it's his GF causing the problems. His facts were just wrong. When I see someone is wrong on the Internet, it's hard to stop myself (this is also true in real life; I am not well liked).

Ramit

ROD GRUNT
I didn't mean to perpetuate the idea that Goff doesn't work hard or it's his GF causing the problems. His facts were just wrong. When I see someone is wrong on the Internet, it's hard to stop myself (this is also true in real life; I am not well liked).
I like ya, Goh. I also empathize with your plight, as I share in it. I have learned that sometimes it is easier to just let people be wrong and simply take consolation in the fact that I am taking what only I know is the moral high ground.

Perspective, my man.

On an online forum though? Getouddahere with any baseless bologna lol.

Ramit

ROD GRUNT
I'd include Wilson in that.

Can you imagine what Wilson would do in a McVay offense that didn't abandon the deep ball?

I mean, Wilson was in the MVP conversation with BRIAN SCHOTTENHEIMER as his OC!!! Think about that for a second...
While you are technically correct....hellz no. RW is another one of those guys like Matthew Stafford who put up great numbers in the regular season but doesn't do diddly-squat in the post-season. Not to mention, he always look like he is about to cry like a baby-back.

Ramit

ROD GRUNT
@Mackeyser

Although I do see and hear the counter argument being that neither RW or MS have ever had a coordinator like McVay calling the shots. I'm sure that would factor into post-season success.

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
While you are technically correct....hellz no. RW is another one of those guys like Matthew Stafford who put up great numbers in the regular season but don't do diddly-squat in the post-season. Not to mention, he always look like he is about to cry like a baby-back.

Yeah, the point was to be technically correct.

I respect RWs skill, but wouldn't want him as the QB. There are other reasons for that (got a sick stomach or I'd maybe go into it a bit), but yeah.

That said, I think RW in the post-season has been held back by shitty OC game prep on many occasions.

Stafford hasn't been able to get to the post-season in large part due to a dysfunctional org. Were it not lightning striking in St. Louis, the Rams would have been the same way.

I honestly don't know how good Stafford is because it's super hard to extricate Stafford's work from that franchise... is he a regular season monster who stinks the few times he gets to the post-season or is he someone who occasionally elevates his team to a post-season game, but can't do more than that with that anchor of a franchise? I dunno.

We may find out depending on where he goes.

Honestly, Stafford in SF doesn't make me feel good... at all.