Six takeaways from McVay’s end of year presser

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I would just say, not everyone is the same and Goff has changed over the last 2 years. Needs to be refocused and reminded of what got him to where he is. At least his head coach thinks that. Also get him a better Oline.
Well if he has regressed over 2 years, and it took him getting hurt and missing a game for his coach to realize that, then that's on McVay, not Goff. And he shouldn't be calling be calling him out for his own issue.
Cart before the horse though, his play regressed because the oline play is poor

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I think the frustration for McVay is that Goff has not progressed with things like seeing the whole field, and making good decisions. Is he young? Sure but he’s been in the league long enough that it’s expected he’d get a little better each year. When he had his best year in 2018 McVay was calling plays for him. Most of us felt it was not a big deal. Maybe it was just what people from other teams claimed. Maybe McVay’s frustration with Goff is from Sean expecting that he should be proving he can take full control of the offense and play at a high level. So he’s questioning if Goff has that part of his game down. He feels he should. Goff’s accuracy has taken a step back also. From a coaches point of view that screams lack of preparation. He was more accurate last year and had a worse offensive line. So the Rams give Goff a huge contract and wonder if he felt that he achieved his goal and is ready to sit back and relax. And/or also is likely wondering if Goff has the mental side down. So McVay is clearly frustrated.

Last edited:

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
Well if he has regressed over 2 years, and it took him getting hurt and missing a game for his coach to realize that, then that's on McVay, not Goff. And he shouldn't be calling be calling him out for his own issue.
Cart before the horse though, his play regressed because the oline play is poor
I'm sure he noticed. He called him out earlier this year. Probably planed this since middle of season when that didn't work.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm sure he noticed. He called him out earlier this year. Probably planed this since middle of season when that didn't work.
Didnt work? 3 turnovers in last 6 games?
Still, if he noticed something missing, where were the adjustments? Where was the wildcat that worked so effectively in the playoffs? If Wolford could provide a spark, where were his plays during the season? Short yardage situations have been trouble for this team for years, surely he could have used Wolford as a Taysom Hill type without upsetting the apple cart.
Instead he basically throws Goff under the bus after his gutty performance in the post season. Sure makes the whole "we not me" mantra a load of BS

iamme33

Pro Bowler
Name
dan
Well, the whole big money/hot girlfriend stuff is just fan fodder. Goff by all accounts works his ass off, and is tough as nails. The girlfriend? Come on, he's a filthy rich QB in the NFL, they all have super hot girlfriends/wives at that stage. Well, except Kurt Warner

i don't doubt that goff is tough as nails but show me all these accounts that say he works his ass off and i would be glade to change my mind on him needing some competition. i have seen a lot of players that play real well during their contract year only to slide back after they get a big contract. is that because they get the big money and the hot girl friend. we have all seen some guys get twiterbated by a girl and they can't handle it like others do. this maybe fan fodder but the timing is about right

Ellard80

Legend
Goff:
2019 - 62.9 completion percentage.
2020 - 67.0 completion percentage.

Might want to bark up a different tree.

we threw short passess and more short passess..

Goff wasn't anymore accurate than last year. He still was poor on passes down he field.

The last time Goff was consistently accurate was 2018... mostly in the 1st half of the season.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Six topics and the only one people want to discuss is Goff :( I should have just posted this in the Goff bitch thread.

Ellard80

Legend
Six topics and the only one people want to discuss is Goff :( I should have just posted this in the Goff bitch thread.

yeah sorry for adding to it.. i did mention earlier that it was headed that way!

People are just always so lazer focused on th QB position...

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
Quarterback is by far the most important position on an NFL team.

Yet, it is still OVER analyzed in my opinion.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
yeah sorry for adding to it.. i did mention earlier that it was headed that way!

People are just always so lazer focused on th QB position...
And yet to a lot of us there are a couple bigger questions on offense. Some seem to think that any other QB could succeed with the issues on the OL and WR. I've said in other threads it's going to be a long offseason three months of bitching until the draft then 4 months of bitching about the draft until preseason then we get to carry it over if those people are wrong into the season for 16 weeks plus the playoffs that Jared leads us to yet again.

iamme33

Pro Bowler
Name
dan
Instead he basically throws Goff under the bus after his gutty performance in the post season. Sure makes the whole "we not me" mantra a load of BS

man throwing goff under the bus by a coach who took the blame for three and a half years. i thought it was time for him to call some people out because i was getting tired of hearing mcvay say he needed to do better at calling plays that put players in position to play to their strengths.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Quarterback is by far the most important position on an NFL team.

Yet, it is still OVER analyzed in my opinion.
It is and yet even the best QB's can't perform to their highest level without a supporting cast which in some area's we did not provide for with Jared. Points 2 and 4 are as important if not more to what we get from Jared and very few people are talking about what we need to do to improve the OL all of which have a major influence on what we get from Jared.

Ellard80

Legend
Just to be honest.... there are really so very few top level QBs in the nfl...

rodgers, brady - have proven it over time.

Mahomes looks like a hall of famer..

Allen has had one great year..

After that... besides a couple good looking rookies... everyone else is unsatisfied.

Its just such a hard position to play.. and if other things go wrong it compounds the issues.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
It is and yet even the best QB's can't perform to their highest level without a supporting cast which in some area's we did not provide for with Jared. Points 2 and 4 are as important if not more to what we get from Jared and very few people are talking about what we need to do to improve the OL all of which have a major influence on what we get from Jared.
Agreed. The Rams are facing a tough off-season.

OLB/Edge
Floyd, Ebukam and Rivers are free agents. That leaves Hollins and the less than durable Lewis and Obo.

CB
Assuming restricted free agent Williams is retained, if Hill is lost in Free Agency, then David Long is the third CB and Deayon is the fourth.

OL
If Blythe leaves via Free Agency, who plays center?

DL
Fox is a free agent and Robinson may need to be released for cap savings.

Salary Cap
Although the 2021 Cap has yet to be announced, and it can be manipulated by teams through restructurings, there are no magic wands. The top two cap sites (Spotrac and Over-The-Cap) have the Rams 20M OVER the projected cap.

That could makes cuts necessary. There are not a lot of candidates. Havenstein and Brockers are two; and ... Gulp ... Whitworth is another.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Agreed. The Rams are facing a tough off-season.

OLB/Edge
Floyd, Ebukam and Rivers are free agents. That leaves Hollins and the less than durable Lewis and Obo.

CB
Assuming restricted free agent Williams is retained, if Hill is lost in Free Agency, then David Long is the third CB and Deayon is the fourth.

OL
If Blythe leaves via Free Agency, who plays center?

DL
Fox is a free agent and Robinson may need to be released for cap savings.

Salary Cap
Although the 2021 Cap has yet to be announced, and it can be manipulated by teams through restructurings, there are no magic wands. The top two cap sites (Spotrac and Over-The-Cap) have the Rams 20M OVER the projected cap.

That could makes cuts necessary. There are not a lot of candidates. Havenstein and Brockers are two; and ... Gulp ... Whitworth is another.

I'm in the camp that says anybody is an upgrade at Center from Blythe including the guys that were behind him on the depth chart this year.

Releasing Robinson is no cap savings it actually will cost us money to do so. And I still stand by my feelings that the NFLPA will throw a shit fit in court if the league tries to lower the cap and cause dozens of their guys to be cut and lose money it just won't happen in any sane world.

oldnotdead

Legend
What I don't like is that he seems blind to the fact that his 3 yr old scheme which is all finesse is part of the problem. Defenses have caught up with it and he's not fooling good defenses anymore. He needs to transition into a power run game then run his finesse plays off of that.

When Goff has time he many times has no outlet receiver if his downfield options are covered. What I'm saying is that it's not just Goff that is the problem. You've got a couple of JAG starters (i.e. Blythe & Havenstein) on the o-line missing key blocks. Kromer is running a dated and simplistic o-line blocking scheme with guys who are playing out of position (i.e. Edwards).

McVay retarded Goff's growth by being in his ear until the last 15 seconds. Goff doesn't read defenses as well as he should because McVay has retarded his growth by telling him what to play. Get the Frack out of his ear Sean. Coach him up to make his own reads. Basically what I'm saying is that it is more about Sean than Jared. These are things I've been saying for 2 years and we saw the results last year and again this year. I will take Goff over Wolford any day. IMO Wolford will make a better than average QB but that's not to say he will be a franchise level talent.

People say the day of the pocket passer is over. But they ignore the QB's in this playoff. Rodgers can run but he's not a running QB. Brady has always been a pocket passer, and Brees has also been a pocket passer. Mahomes got his first serious concussion. Those things are cumulative so now you have to wonder how long of a career will he have. Even Wilson doesn't run as much as he used to, his movement is more about extending plays.

Sean's comments say more about him than his team.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
Releasing Robinson is no cap savings it actually will cost us money to do so.

I looked up the Robinson contract (both sites) after my post, and saw the same thing you see. However, it’s confusing; and I wonder if it might not be accurate.

Robinson signed a two year deal in 2020 for about $17M. The contract details on both sites have his contract running from 2020 through 2022 ... Three years; plus it had Robinson with a 2020 cap hit of just $2M.

That makes zero sense.

Is it possible the Rams re-worked the deal and made it three years? Possible. He did miss time early perhaps due to Covid concerns.

I am going to do some research because I am dealing with “End-of-Rams-Season” withdrawal.

Should the contract details be accurate, Robinson is under contract through 2022; and you are correct, there is no cap savings for releasing him.

Unfortunately, should that be the case, Brockers becomes a stronger candidate.

And I REALLY hope you are right about the 2021 cap.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
I'm in the camp that says anybody is an upgrade at Center from Blythe including the guys that were behind him on the depth chart this year.

Releasing Robinson is no cap savings it actually will cost us money to do so. And I still stand by my feelings that the NFLPA will throw a shit fit in court if the league tries to lower the cap and cause dozens of their guys to be cut and lose money it just won't happen in any sane world.
I checked the Robinson deal. I need to get a life.

The Rams did re-work it (in September).

It’s a little confusing but if you Google ‘A’shawn Robinson contract’ you will see the details. I should have remembered. Getting old.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I checked the Robinson deal. I need to get a life.

The Rams did re-work it (in September).

It’s a little confusing but if you Google ‘A’shawn Robinson contract’ you will see the details. I should have remembered. Getting old.
Correctomundo! And yeah we're all getting older. But Robinson was going to covid opt out which would have cost him money. So the Rams did him a solid and helped themselves by extending him a year he didn't get much more money overall I don't think but he got paid more for 2020 than if he'd sat out. He ended up playing some but he's ours for 2 more years.

Without looking too much into it off the top of my head Brockers and Havenstein are the only 2 we can move on from as far as vets and save more than a million.