Six takeaways from McVay’s end of year presser

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Flint

Pro Bowler
If it's by design, imo it's bad design. If McVay wanted to light a fire under Goff he should have done it privately. Appears to me he may have inadvertently blurted out the "right now" at his press conference, then couldn't disown it. I can't believe it was a considered strategy.

Sure, Goff should be able to handle it. And yes, he was disappointing this year. But imo it's not good coaching and not a good sign for the future. Especially when the Rams have no clear path to replace Goff, in a qb competition or otherwise.

IMO McVay would have been better served taking responsibility for his own decisions and acknowledging that the offense had significant limitations instead of in effect blaming Goff for an offense that couldn't win enough plays to sustain drives and lacked playmakers to stretch the field. Then speak to Goff, not the press, about how he can better run an average offense at a higher level.
He was asked about the “right now” statement so he certainly had a chance to think about it and revise it but he doubled down on his “everyone is being evaluated” line which is clearly bullshit.
I haven’t heard anyone suggest a way to realistically get rid of Goff so McVay knows that we know, so what was the point of that statement. We are just coming out of the cap hits for TG and Cooks so taking on more dead money seems ludicrous. This team lacks the cap space and draft capital to do much of anything and pretending otherwise just makes McVay look like a prick.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
If it's by design, imo it's bad design. If McVay wanted to light a fire under Goff he should have done it privately.
Even the most attentive-to-details and information fans know only a small percentage of what is going on with their team’s management and strategy. And, even that information may be colored by the source of that information.

One example is your comment above. It’s a good and reasonable thought. However, how can we be sure that is not exactly what McVay did last off-season.

The Rams failed to make the playoffs in 2019; and Goff had a disappointing season (16 interceptions and 5 or 6 lost fumbles for an NFL-high in turnovers).

Maybe McVay tried ‘to light a fire’ and did so ‘privately’. Perhaps, McVay’s current approach is in response to a prior approach not working.

I agree with your thought.
Just saying that it’s fun to give opinions and speculate but all we have are opinions and speculation.

Tano

Legend
Even the most attentive-to-details and information fans know only a small percentage of what is going on with their team’s management and strategy. And, even that information may be colored by the source of that information.

One example is your comment above. It’s a good and reasonable thought. However, how can we be sure that is not exactly what McVay did last off-season.

The Rams failed to make the playoffs in 2019; and Goff had a disappointing season (16 interceptions and 5 or 6 lost fumbles for an NFL-high in turnovers).

Maybe McVay tried ‘to light a fire’ and did so ‘privately’. Perhaps, McVay’s current approach is in response to a prior approach not working.

Just saying that it’s fun to give opinions and speculate but all we have are opinions and speculation.
What's that saying again

Opinions are like Assholes :)

Ewe83

Mama's got a new baby boy
I still think too much is being read in to this and if I'm wrong like I was about like I was Gurley I'll admit it and eat my crow. I think this largely is gossip fodder, McVay is very competitive he wants that Lombardi and he's been looking upset in interviews post loss and people think it's because he's upset at Goff but I think he's just upset in general at being eliminated. As far as putting Goff's status in question I think it has less to do with some dram between them and more to do with the thumb. Goff stepped up and played well but I think after Kurt we all know how much an injury like that can effect play. I think McVay is just being cautious and wanting to see how this will effect Jared long term so that's why he can't give a definitive answer about Jared. I don't think it goes any deeper than that. Let's not give in to the speculation and rumors and just see if Jared can fully bounce back from this. My guess is he will and he'll be our QB for the foreseeable future

FarNorth

Hall of Fame

In general I totally agree with you and clearly we do not know what has happened behind the scenes.

In this case however it doesn't change my view that McVay should not have gone public with his comment about Goff. It's just an unhelpful approach to running the team imo.

Further suggests to me that McVay is frustrated and unhappy with the offense. No surprise, but lashing out at the qb is not the best solution if you aren't ready to replace him and in fact don't have a good option to do so.

Gandalf

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yeah, I gotta agree with this. McVay is blaming everyone, including himself, for not winning the super bowl? C'mon coach, talk about how proud you are of your guys, for toughing it out under difficult conditions like broken thumbs and torn ribs. Thank everyone for a great season and highlight the good things that happened this year... like the growth of guys like Darious Williams, Leonard Floyd, Morgan Fox, David Edwards... and the professional leadership of guys like Micheal Brockers, Aaron Donald, and Jalen Ramsey. And the emergence of Cam Aikers. The team went all the way to the divisional playoff game, and might have gone further if it weren't for injuries. But it was a good season, and McVay needs to understand that you can't act disappointed for not winning the super bowl every year. Trade players away if you want, but don't call them out for it in public. They did their best this year, and McVay should be proud of this team.
That's the point I have been trying to make. Put a positive spin on it and head into the offseason. The media doesn't need much to jump on our team and we have had to read too much negative shit over the years!

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I still think too much is being read in to this and if I'm wrong like I was about like I was Gurley I'll admit it and eat my crow. I think this largely is gossip fodder, McVay is very competitive he wants that Lombardi and he's been looking upset in interviews post loss and people think it's because he's upset at Goff but I think he's just upset in general at being eliminated. As far as putting Goff's status in question I think it has less to do with some dram between them and more to do with the thumb. Goff stepped up and played well but I think after Kurt we all know how much an injury like that can effect play. I think McVay is just being cautious and wanting to see how this will effect Jared long term so that's why he can't give a definitive answer about Jared. I don't think it goes any deeper than that. Let's not give in to the speculation and rumors and just see if Jared can fully bounce back from this. My guess is he will and he'll be our QB for the foreseeable future
I know you love Goff and all Ewe but for me there's too much smoke to ignore. Silver alone tells us something is there he's a close family friend and came out for Jared which was defensive and that doesn't happen without some sort of BS going on. But I don't think there's such a disconnect that we're talking about the Rams jettisoning him.

There's a good chance 16 returns even if McVay is unhappy with some of his play this year. When you have talent like Jared has you are going to get a lot more opportunity and he's also shown he can play at a pretty high level when he's got players around him plus that contract is fresh.

I expect Jared will face QB competition in camp and he'll almost surely win it. I'll bet in fact his offseason is spent more with Tom House than his super hot girlfriend. He's a competitor and he'll be ready. And he'll have a better line next year too. So at this point I don't think there's too much to worry about. Chances of the Rams pulling off a trade for a guy like Watson just seems really low.

iamme33

Pro Bowler
Name
dan
Well eff them if that's the attitude.
Purposely pissing him off? Because the team laid an egg?
Ridiculous, this isnt pop warner
If Goff needs a fire lit under his ass then shame on McVay for it.

maybe pissing him off isn't the right phrase. it does seem like his game has gone down hill sense he got the big raise and the model girl friend so maybe he does needs a fire under his ass. i still think if he will go to that qb camp and has some competition he will be just fine. i was a big goff fan but i just keep going back to mcvay saying the team needed some urgency and preparation and i think he mostly meant goff because it was after a poor game. anyway members have pointed out that qbs that have competition seldom work out but is that do to those qbs not doing well is the reason they have comp./

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
maybe pissing him off isn't the right phrase. it does seem like his game has gone down hill sense he got the big raise and the model girl friend so maybe he does needs a fire under his ass. i still think if he will go to that qb camp and has some competition he will be just fine. i was a big goff fan but i just keep going back to mcvay saying the team needed some urgency and preparation and i think he mostly meant goff because it was after a poor game. anyway members have pointed out that qbs that have competition seldom work out but is that do to those qbs not doing well is the reason they have comp./
Well, the whole big money/hot girlfriend stuff is just fan fodder. Goff by all accounts works his ass off, and is tough as nails. The girlfriend? Come on, he's a filthy rich QB in the NFL, they all have super hot girlfriends/wives at that stage. Well, except Kurt Warner
The bad look on McVay is blowing sunshine every week and then after losing Goff with the thumb he gets a boner for Wolford and his running ability. Like bruh... He's been on the team for 2 years and you finally realized what he can do? Then Goff, bum thumb and all plays both games, and plays reasonably well, but now McVay is gonna throw him under the bus? Man, if Goff doesnt bust his thumb, Wolford doesnt even have sweat in his jock.
Its a bad look, and for a guy who's played the media like a fiddle, he just looked played out

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Marines are OK in my book. Crayon eating aside.
Totally, I mean GI Jane was smokin'
1611279564827.jpeg

But man, poor Kurt. Heck it was a good 4 or 5 games before I realized it was his girlfriend and not his mom

ottoman89

Busch Light slammin, hog farmin, Iowa boy.
Name
Josh Otto
Lol, if I may inject old school Army vernacular, you sound like someone who really knows their shit?
As I say "What do I know? I'm just a dumb Iowa pig farmer." And then people automatically lower the standard of knowledge they assume I have. Works every time!

But yes, when it comes to shit, I know the colors of pig shit that are normal and alarming as far as health go!

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
As I say "What do I know? I'm just a dumb Iowa pig farmer." And then people automatically lower the standard of knowledge they assume I have. Works every time!

But yes, when it comes to shit, I know the colors of pig shit that are normal and alarming as far as health go!
This post made me like you infinitely more

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
Just curious, but how many teams have a QB that has to "earn" his starting job? That have a competitive backup?
San Fran? Garropolo plays when healthy, so NO, Arizona? NO, Seattle? NO
Saints? NO, Tampa? NO, Carolina? NO, Atlanta? NO
Green Bay? NO, Chicago? YES, Minnesota? NO, Detroit? NO
Washington? Do they have a starting QB? YES, Giants, NO, Cowboys? NO (although Dak is a ?), Eagles? YES, (although it wont be when they name a coach)
KC? NO, Chargers? NO, Raiders? NO, Broncos? NO
Tennessee? NO, Houston? NO, Indy? NO, Jacksonville? NO
Pittsburgh? NO, Cleveland? NO, Cincinnati? NO, Baltimore? NO
Buffalo? NO, Miami? NO (Tua is starter though undeserved), Jets? NO, Pats? NO... Not even with Cam being terrible and Stidham being the starter until Cam walked in the door a week before the season started...

This idea that your QB needs to be pushed by competition, that his job isnt handed to him, is just a bunch of mullarkey.
Like John Madden said, "if you've got two QB, you have none"
Look at Philly, replacing Wentz destroyed the season
I would just say, not everyone is the same and Goff has changed over the last 2 years. Needs to be refocused and reminded of what got him to where he is. At least his head coach thinks that. Also get him a better Oline.