Should we make a trade?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
If I had to guess....McVay went to Morris and said "okay we're 7 games in and with AD, Ramsey, Williams, Floyd, SJD - this defense should be better. What do you need?"

I think it's ILB or CB.

ILB because we traded our (much) better ILB to create space and starting Earnest Jones and Troy Reeder does not make us better.

CB because the other NFC powers have multiple good WRs.

I think it'll be a CB though. Kyle Fuller makes the most sense as a handshake deal with Denver for them to work out taking on more of his contract.
Fuller could be a part of why they gave Denver a sweet deal on Young.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
kenny young and troy reeder are both around the same speed wise - they are both fast for LB... 4.6 40 times.

Neither is great but both have made plays here and there.
Young plays faster. He looks quicker on the field
This front office has proved itself for a good while now.

Got a feeling we will know soon enough what is up.
This front office has done a lot of good stuff, but they aren’t mistake proof.
But, one thing that has proven to be true recently is that they accurately evaluated Allen in practice. So if they say Ernest Jones is ready I guess I’d lean to trust that he is. In mop up duty against the Giants he looked a little slow to me. Houston will be a good opponent to break him in against.

If Jones truly is a better run stopper than Young then he needs to be ready for the Titans.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Two problems on the defense have been stopping the run and allowing big plays in the pass game. If Jones can be an upgrade then everything points to pass defense. So a better safety or corner than what’s been starting.

Marcus Maye would be a great one year rental player that would improve deep pass coverage.

Fuller would add better corner play and depth if Williams is slow to recover

Phillips would add better corner play, depth, and give them a decent returner on Special teams.

Mack would be very good runningback depth if they are concerned about only have two experienced backs

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
With how McVay thinks I wouldn't be surprised if it's something for the offence like a TE or a RB. Although it probably should be someone for the defence.

Rich Hammond made a good point, we basically spent money on a luxury player (DJax) in the offseason and he's played like 6 snaps on Sunday. Plus Tutu only playing something like 1. The offence clearly doesn't need either player to be good, but might our defence need someone like Young? Maybe. Especially since we're thin at LB.

So hopefully if we do make a move it's for a veteran linebacker who can take that Young spot and be an upgrade. In terms of who, I honestly have no idea.

I really think they like Earnest Jones in that Kenny Young role... enough to feel confident trading him.

If they do anything, it may be for someone like Marcus Maye who's a legit FS with the Jets who really needs a change of scenery (not a fan of his DUI, but I don't know the details)

bluecoconuts

Legend
I really think they like Earnest Jones in that Kenny Young role... enough to feel confident trading him.

If they do anything, it may be for someone like Marcus Maye who's a legit FS with the Jets who really needs a change of scenery (not a fan of his DUI, but I don't know the details)

I think so to, and Jourdan made a good point on the 11 Personnel podcast, LB isn't really a position they value on the defence.

An upgrade a safety would be an interesting trade, but does that mean he's starting over Fuller, who's currently listed as our FS? Or does that not really matter with how defences are evolving in terms of the safety position?

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
Saw someone brought up Cordelle Patterson as a guy. Makes sense. Fixes your KR issues and adds a spark there and can be an emergency RB as well.

So could get him cheap, but still need a CB.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Two problems on the defense have been stopping the run and allowing big plays in the pass game. If Jones can be an upgrade then everything points to pass defense. So a better safety or corner than what’s been starting.

Marcus Maye would be a great one year rental player that would improve deep pass coverage.

Fuller would add better corner play and depth if Williams is slow to recover

Phillips would add better corner play, depth, and give them a decent returner on Special teams.

Mack would be very good runningback depth if they are concerned about only have two experienced backs

A trade for Maye could lead us to just play Rapp at ILB next to Jones too. He'd be an upgrade over Reeder

payote75

Hall of Fame
Name
Payote75
There is no way in hell that the rams are confident in our cornerbacks. Even with a healthy DWill we cannot leave a rookie or for shit sure Long on the other teams 3rd receiver (other teams being the one we have discussed that go 3-4 receivers deep).

We didnt come all this way just to come all this way lol.

Arizona even more dangerous with Ertz don't care how old he is he is an upgrade.

So if they seriously think they can move forward as is or with practice squad players well I don't think it will work at all.

Jourdan is usually spot on but no way. Most of us have bitched about the defense all year now what we think it will magically get better? When a team like Tampa has AB running all over. I know they banking on improving as the year goes on but that's not a given and I don't know what they are watching but bad teams that gash us via pass or run we may skate on but the upper echelon teams ain't gonna happen.

Not like I just want a trade for the sake of a trade but we all are watching the same thing RT? The defense is ok..maybe even solid but it won't hold against certain teams. Arizona dismantled it with DWill playing.

payote75

Hall of Fame
Name
Payote75
A trade for Maye could lead us to just play Rapp at ILB next to Jones too. He'd be an upgrade over Reeder

Maye is solid and I like him because he can actually cover. So maybe he takes care of two positions lol. I'd prefer a cover corner but hey I will take any and all reinforcements.

dang

Legend
If I had to guess....McVay went to Morris and said "okay we're 7 games in and with AD, Ramsey, Williams, Floyd, SJD - this defense should be better. What do you need?"

I think it's ILB or CB.

ILB because we traded our (much) better ILB to create space and starting Earnest Jones and Troy Reeder does not make us better.

CB because the other NFC powers have multiple good WRs.

I think it'll be a CB though. Kyle Fuller makes the most sense as a handshake deal with Denver for them to work out taking on more of his contract.
I think you are correct. McVay sees how close the Rams are to being elite and is losing sleep/pulling out his hair with what he sees in the run defense and STs. There’s no way he doesn’t look under every rock for possible upgrades.

Malibu

Pro Bowler
More I think about it we need players we need Ilb help and slot corner help both can cover the short middle and a way better ilb to shore up the run d and short over the middle game will do wonders for the Rams.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Atlanta's ILB Foyesade Oluokun is well known by Morris and is only 26 years old, he'll become a free agent following this season, ... so far this year he has 1 sack, 3 QB hits, 1 FF, 1 Int. & 61 tackles. Oluokun's cost would only be about $1.2 mil. against our CAP. Move him into Young's spot and have E. Jones take over for Reeder.

Next move ... Kansas City CB and former first round draft pick Mike Hughes is 24 years old and becomes a free agent after this year. So far this season he has 3 PD's, 2 FF's & 1 int., and with only 1 start. Hughes' CAP hit for the Rams would only amount to about $1 mil. Hughes is also a Kick Returner.

So now you would have a new young ILB and a new young CB/KR for roughly $2.2 mil in total cost.
jmo.

Last edited:

El Chapo Jr

Hall of Fame
Based on how much more help we could use in the secondary or at ILB, we are definitely trading a 2095 7th rd pick for a 2096 6th rd pick and TE.

dang

Legend
Atlanta's ILB Foyesade Oluokun is well known by Morris and is only 26 years old, he'll become a free agent following this season, ... so far this year he has 1 sack, 3 QB hits, 1 FF, 1 Int. & 61 tackles. Oluokun's cost would only be about $1.2 mil. against our CAP. Move him into Young's spot and have E. Jones take over for Reeder.

Next move ... Kansas City CB and former first round draft pick Mike Hughes is 24 years old and becomes a free agent after this year. So far this season he has 3 PD's, 2 FF's & 1 int., and with only 1 start. Hughes' CAP hit for the Rams would only amount to about $1 mil. Hughes is also a Kick Returner.

So now you would have a new young ILB and a new young CB/KR for roughly $2.2 mil in total cost.
jmo.
Sign me up for that. We need some juice on defense or we’ll get squashed by teams that can score TDs instead of settling gor FGs.

Jacobarch

Legend
Name
Jake
Hopefully it's a proven CB. I can't really see us going out of our way for another ILB. I think the strategy is to stop AZ and for that better DB talent is evident

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
I agree we need a vet CB. Simply too green in the backend. I like #31, think he’s a player next season. But would be groovy to take some pressure off him this season

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
Really think w/ the Young trade means more LOS packages for Rapp and more deep snaps for Burgess moving forward