Shaun Hill

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Hill or Davis against the Hawks?

• Total voters

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
This is the same argument that Davis has a future here and Hill doesn't. Says who? He's not old for a QB. He could easily have 5-6 years of good play left. I'm sick of losing and AD isn't winning. I'm not saying AD had tons of time all game but on some plays he did. The second half, AD couldn't hit a barn.
I doubt that. Transpose a barn onto the field. I contend that Davis couldn't miss said barn.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4

You just described Shaun Hill as well as 2/3rds of the QBs in the NFL. Winning 5 games instead of 4 with Shaun Hill replacing AD gets us nothing, IMO. For us to get better and actually challenge for a playoff spot, there has to be some severe changes to the way our coaches call a game, and use halftime to adjust. The OL has to block. This is so far beyond what a QB on this roster can fix. Maybe someone with the gravitas of Brady or Manning could force players to suddenly pull their heads from their asses, IDK. But at this point, I'm for giving guys who have a future here playing time. No more Wells, no more Joseph, and really ride out Davis to see if he can be our #2 or short term starter for 2015.

rams2050

Starter
AD is trying to make plays. Of course, he's going to make mistakes when he is fighting back to score points, when the Rams are losing, AND hoping that the refs don't screw the pooch. He has been so close to pulling out close wins, and had the Rams' recovered the onside kick last night, and AD didn't have to move the offense 99 yards in the final minute an change, then perhaps he WOULDN'T have thrown an interception.

That, and the fact that Gruden sounded convinced that AD's receivers ran at least TWO wrong routes on passes that would almost certainly have resulted in TDs.

I say it's too early to give up on AD. He might not win many games, but he is a GAMER and I believe he will continue to learn. That is, if he doesn't get killed first.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I think Prime Time was offering a hint to you guys here. You ALL need to chill a bit on the snarky attitude towards each other. It's cool to have a debate. But none of us are paid NFL gurus so no matter what we say, it is based on our opinions and nothing more. I would urge you that if you think someone is being dickish to you, respond with civility. You may just find that the entire mood of the thread starts to follow suit.

It is the opinion of the coaching staff that Davis should be the starter. That is debatable as no one really knows what Hill offers THIS team except what some have seen with limited reps mainly with the twos and threes and I don't think there is a question as to if the coaches have zeroed in on QB play more than anyone else here.

I don't know what the answer is but I know I simply don't like the tone this thread has taken on. And it is no one poster's fault. We are all understandably upset over the results of the first five games. I see nothing wrong with the idea that Hill might be a better option. I see nothing wrong with the idea that Davis is not the problem. Davis is young and inexperienced. Hill is mature and somewhat experienced.

So while we can beat this argument to death and each other along with it, I'd only ask that you be cool to each other in the process. It's been a tough five games. Let's not make it worse.

Athos

Legend
You just described Shaun Hill as well as 2/3rds of the QBs in the NFL. Winning 5 games instead of 4 with Shaun Hill replacing AD gets us nothing, IMO.

Yep. One more win under Hill means absolutely nothing at this point. So we won another game! Yippee! Sunshine and roses and apple pie smelling farts!

I hate playing for draft position, but shit, why not at this point? Get a new coaching staff, the best player you can get in the top 5......and keep trying. Not sure if this organization will ever get to .500 and over again but.....there really is nothing left but to try.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4

I would love to see Keenum or Gilbert as well, but I think 4 games into a career is too early to judge Davis. Much like Bradford, the awful play of the team around him magnifies his faults and downplays what he's doing well.

Pryor, god no. We have 5 WRs already without starting one at QB. :)

Robocop

Pro Bowler
Name
J.
I've tried to talk about the value of an experienced QB over a virtual rookie. A QB who makes very good decisions and accurate throws vs a kid with balls but who doesn't make the great throws. I wasn't proposing a change, but an opportunity to see what was on the bench 2 losses ago.

I have abandoned my argument from getting shouted down.

Now I'm saying, AD played a rookie game, there is nothing to lose seeing if Hill is the better choice. The Rams have NO shot at a winning season without an improvement and I believe that improvement is sitting on the bench.
yea except our shit line can't pass block. Hill isn't a spring chicken. Davis kept a lot of plays going on his feet even though the kid cant see a blitz coming to save his life.

Lesson

Oh, really?
In all of Davis' games as a starter, the team has either won or has had possession of the ball on offense with under 2 minutes to go to either win or tie the game.

Yes, he'll throw a few floaters here and there. But he's still learning how play at a NFL tempo. He's still a relative unknown. If he plays well the rest of the way, he could be the starter next season or backup.

Hill, while a solid QB, his potential is known. He's nothing more than a good #2 or an average-to slightly above average #1. He's had a large enough sample size of a course of a few seasons to reach to that conclusion. There's no benefit to playing him as, IMO, the coaches and FO have a somewhat better evaluation on him due to his sample size than Davis.

Edited to add: Schottenheimer's been a good play caller, for the most part, this season. The players as a whole need to execute better. (See: Last week vs Philly).

Rambition

Rookie
We did NOT see enough of Hill as a Ram. We owe it to ourselves to see if he can stabilize this offense. That's all I'm saying. Once mathematically out of the playoffs, sit Hill and go with Davis.
austin davis has played better than i thought he would. but the bar isn't very high for that. i won't be angry or overly resentful if he starts all of the rest of the rams games; i agree that it would be good to get a solid idea of what he's capable of doing as a starter. but like you, i have trouble with the virtual throwing-in-of-the-towel thing as justification for playing him over hill at this still somewhat early stage of the season. and this sunday's game against the defending champs is simultaneously the kind of game that could energize and rally this team if we could win, while at the same time being the kind of game that begs for an experienced QB against their fierce defense.

i really wish fisher hadn't backed himself into a corner with the early proclamation that davis would hve the starter role for the rest of the 2014 season; he could have explained the situation to both of his qb's in the kind of term we've been talking about, while giving the team what i feel would be its best chance of making something out of the season. go with the veteran, especially during this gauntlet of very tough games we've just entered, and if after that it's apparent we've not even a mathematical chance at the playoffs, see what you have in the untested UDFA.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
austin davis has played better than i thought he would. but the bar isn't very high for that. i won't be angry or overly resentful if he starts all of the rest of the rams games; i agree that it would be good to get a solid idea of what he's capable of doing as a starter. but like you, i have trouble with the virtual throwing-in-of-the-towel thing as justification for playing him over hill at this still somewhat early stage of the season. and this sunday's game against the defending champs is simultaneously the kind of game that could energize and rally this team if we could win, while at the same time being the kind of game that begs for an experienced QB against their fierce defense.

i really wish fisher hadn't backed himself into a corner with the early proclamation that davis would hve the starter role for the rest of the 2014 season; he could have explained the situation to both of his qb's in the kind of term we've been talking about, while giving the team what i feel would be its best chance of making something out of the season. go with the veteran, especially during this gauntlet of very tough games we've just entered, and if after that it's apparent we've not even a mathematical chance at the playoffs, see what you have in the untested UDFA.

Could be that Fisher is telling us exactly how much confidence in Hill he actually has. Maybe Schotty finds game planning easier with Davis. Maybe Davis's seemingly easy grasp of leadership is what Fisher likes. Maybe the staff doesn't actually feel like they are giving up and instead starting the guy they feel gives us the best chance to win.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
What has Davis done to warrant having the lynch mob out for him?

ohh yes, he's ensured that our O-Line under performs, ohh and that our D-Line are waiting for for Christmas before they actually turn up for a game, or is it he makes sure that the receivers and TEs drop catchable passes - or is it that he makes the playbook run out of ideas.

I believe he is our best chance of winning at the moment, I think Hill would struggle starting at the moment and he wouldn't last 4 quarters, he's an older QB and I'd hate to see him get the hits AD (and Sammy) has taken, and I know some of you said that Hill's experience would make him avoid getting hit, thats just absurd talk, lets be honest, Sam couldn't avoid all these hits, are we saying Hill is better than Sam too???

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
And please spare me the "unbiased opinion" mumbo jumbo. Everyone is here is biased in their opinion.
I really, really, Like this point!! Truer words have never been spoken!!(y)(y):D

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
what allows you to be so certain of this?
Simple all the sacks Davis has gotten combined with all the ones he escaped. The oline hasn't been the best haven't even been good. Hill isn't a mobile quarterback. He van move around in the pocket but his escapability isn't anywhere near Davis.