Shaun Hill

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Hill or Davis against the Hawks?

• Total voters

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
I think we know what we have in Hill... he looked good in parts during the preseason, but has no upside.

Nothing in last night's loss pointed to Davis as the problem. Or that Hill was better. Silly topic.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
I would like to know what happened to our O-Line last night! The 1st half they looked great. Then in the second half, THEY PUT JOSEPH IN, INPLACE OF SAFFOLD AND THINGS WENT TO crap!!
they didn't put Joseph in,, Saffold had an equipment issues (shoe) and missed a few plays of one series.

Last edited:

CoachO

Hall of Fame
How can any QB excel when the line that is supposed to be buying him some time is fooled by every stunt the other team runs AND is as porous as Swiss cheese? It was a rare moment, after the 14-points of scoring, when Davis wasn't running for his life. And then when he actually threw a good long ball the receivers, apparently, had run the wrong route. I don't know if that is true, but Jon Gruden sure seemed to think that is what had happened, and I will take his analysis over mine any day.

I just don't see how Hill could have been any more effective than Davis was last night. No, he didn't win, but he never gave up either; not like the O-line and, apparently, the receiving corps.

And what happened to Tre Mason? He seemed to provide a real spark. although, I'll bet it had something to do with him being worthless in defending the QB against the pass rush.
Mason had a specific package put in for him. Once they got behind, he was not going to be part of what they were forced to do. Which apparently was throw the ball 40+ times yet again. In what was still a game that was well within reach. For all the times I have defended Schottenheimer, this game will not be one of them. I thought they abandoned they running game way too early, and I would have loved to see a few more of the swing passes, or screens to catch SF in the many blitzes they continued to use.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
hey didn't put Joseph in,, Saffold had an equipment issues (shoe) and missed a few plays of one series.
Sorry, I didn't notice Saffold come back in. I stopped watching that side of the O-Line after Joseph gave up a Sack on his 1st play in their!

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
All the years, coaches, teams Hill has been on and he's never been the "Guy". Why now? Or where they all wrong?

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
Just have one average game and it's crazy to see how many people turn on you in that very instant.

V3

Hall of Fame
I'm not saying bench AD. I'm saying we should see what we have in Hill.

If you don't know what Hill is by now in his career, then you haven't watched him play. He's nothing special. He's NOT an unknown. What's the point of even playing him? So we can win an extra meaningless game or two more- and that's assuming he plays any better. I don't think he would live past his first game, let alone play better than what we've seen from Davis. Davis is basically a rookie. He's going to make mistakes. Let him learn from them. Beyond that, it's hard to fault any QB behind an O-line that plays like that. If Bradford got leeway for bad O-lines, why doesn't Davis? And then there's the fact that our WR's run lazy routes. That'll make any QB look bad., also.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
All the years, coaches, teams Hill has been on and he's never been the "Guy". Why now? Or where they all wrong?
or you could ask another question.... Davis was a week away from being back to coaching a local HS team had it not been for Bradford's injury. He has been cut 3 times before (twice here and once by Miami a week after they signed him). After all of that, why now? What has he done, do make you think he is anything more than a 3rd string QB?

At the end of the day, he is 1-3, has thrown 7 TDs, and FOUR pick 6 INT's and has fumbled 4 times losing one for a TD. For all the yards he has amassed, anyone being objective about his OVERALL performance would see him for what he is. A gunslinger who makes a few WOW plays, but ultimately makes way too many mistakes.

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
Kinda unfair to blame him solely for the fumbles, if you blame him you have to blame the O-line for giving up so many blindside hits.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
or you could ask another question.... Davis was a week away from being back to coaching a local HS team had it not been for Bradford's injury. He has been cut 3 times before (twice here and once by Miami a week after they signed him). After all of that, why now? What has he done, do make you think he is anything more than a 3rd string QB?

At the end of the day, he is 1-3, has thrown 7 TDs, and FOUR pick 6 INT's and has fumbled 4 times losing one for a TD. For all the yards he has amassed, anyone being objective about his OVERALL performance would see him for what he is. A gunslinger who makes a few WOW plays, but ultimately makes way too many mistakes.

Or I could just watch the game, coaches film and form a Unbiased opinion that Davis gives this team a better chance to win with his skill set than Hill, taking in account this teams flaws.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Or I could just watch the game, coaches film and form a Unbiased opinion that Davis gives this team a better chance to win with his skill set than Hill, taking in account this teams flaws.
and yet, you have seen 2 quarters of Shawn Hill is a game where he was the least of this teams issues. In a game where offensive penalties killed any chance of them sustaining any drives.

Anyone you says they can make a fair assessment of what Shawn Hill can or cannot do with THIS offense based off his "career" is doing nothing but speculating. But saying that its more than likely he would NOT be making the same sort of critical mistakes, based on experience alone, seems pretty reasonable to me. I'm just saying.

And please spare me the "unbiased opinion" mumbo jumbo. Everyone is here is biased in their opinion.

Last edited:

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Lol, dude, AD made some horrible throws with all kinds of time. We need to walk away from the excuses. SCHOTTY was terrible, but AD was almost as bed. He over threw a half dozen passes at least.
I don't know man. That INT before getting injured in the Minny game was pretty damn bad. You don't think he has more of those in him? Especially with how this line is playing? I think we need to see what we have in Davis. And I didn't see the tons of time you seem to think he had.

jjab360

Legend
I'm not saying bench AD. I'm saying we should see what we have in Hill.
How do you not understand that that's the same thing?

Unless you're saying they should see what they have in Hill in practice in which case they already did. And in preseason. And training camp. And the 13 years prior. We already know what we have in Hill and that's not much. The guy we don't know about is Davis and that's what they're trying to figure out.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
and yet, you have seen 2 quarters of Shawn Hill is a game where he was the least of this teams issues. In a game where offensive penalties killed any chance of them sustaining any drives.

Anyone you says they can make a fair assessment of what Shawn Hill can or cannot do with THIS offense based off his "career" is doing but speculating. But saying that its more than likely he would NOT be making the same sort of critical mistakes, based on experience alone, seems pretty reasonable to me. I'm just saying.

And please spare me the "unbiased opinion" mumbo jumbo. Everyone is here is biased in their opinion.
I supported the decision to go back to Hill once healthy for many of the same reasons you conjure O ,but one fact remains there is no way Hills 30sumpthin slightly overweight body gets up from the hits Davis took last night .
For Fisher to go back on his starting QB now would be wishy washy ,he's changed his mind once and told the kid not to look over his shoulder ,he needs to stand by that.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
If Bradford got leeway for bad O-lines, why doesn't Davis? .
Because Bradford wasn't throwing pick sixes virtually every game. Davis has made 4 starts and has handed opposing defenses FIVE TD's via INT or fumbles lost.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I've tried to talk about the value of an experienced QB over a virtual rookie. A QB who makes very good decisions and accurate throws vs a kid with balls but who doesn't make the great throws. I wasn't proposing a change, but an opportunity to see what was on the bench 2 losses ago.

I have abandoned my argument from getting shouted down.

Now I'm saying, AD played a rookie game, there is nothing to lose seeing if Hill is the better choice. The Rams have NO shot at a winning season without an improvement and I believe that improvement is sitting on the bench.
It seems like you have been waiting for a game like this from Davis. While you fail to realize that Shaun hill would be getting crushed behind this Oline. Davis isn't perfect but why give up on the possibility of the future Shaun hill isn't the future. Fisher has already stated that Davis is the guy and rightfully so. Anyone expecting Davis to be prefect aren't being realistic. This team has a lot of issues and the last one is Davis. How many catches did Quick have.? Britt wasn't 100 percent and the defense was a total let down. Very disappointed in Jenkins but he will bounce back just like Davis and maybe we win next week