Shaun Hill of Detroit visiting Rams on Monday

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Rams after Shaun Hill a second time
• By Jim Thomas

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/rams...cle_b6eba865-2f27-53db-b7f4-f2e523d52e2e.html

This isn’t the first time the Rams have tried to replace Kellen Clemens with Shaun Hill as their backup quarterback.

In 2012, Jeff Fisher’s first offseason with the Rams, Hill was brought in for a free-agent visit but ended up re-signing with Detroit. The Rams ended up going with Clemens, who had finished out the 2011 season in St. Louis under Steve Spagnuolo.

On Monday, three days after Clemens agreed to terms with San Diego, Hill was back at Rams Park for another free-agent visit. Hill, 34, is a native of Parsons, Kan., who has spent the past four seasons backing up Matthew Stafford in Detroit.

With Stafford out with an injury in 2010, Hill started and defeated the Rams 44-6 at Ford Field. He completed 21 of 32 passes for 227 yards, three touchdowns and a 117.6 passer rating.

It was nothing new for Hill against the Rams. Four of his 26 career NFL starts have come against St. Louis and he is 4-0 in those games, posting a passer rating of 100-plus three times.

Playing for San Francisco in 2009, Hill completed 14 of 24 passes for 152 yards, two TDs and a 104.9 rating in a 35-0 victory against the Rams.

In 2008, also with the 49ers, Hill posted 35-16 and 17-16 victories over the Rams, throwing two TD passes in each contest. Mike Martz was the 49ers’ offensive coordinator that season, and their roster included wide receiver Isaac Bruce.

Bruce caught seven passes for 61 yards and a TD against his old team in that 17-16 late-season victory, all but ending hopes for interim coach Jim Haslett to be retained as Rams head coach. In that game, Hill had the distinction of throwing what turned out to be the final TD catch of Bruce’s career, as well as throwing Bruce’s 1,000th career reception.

Hill entered the league in 2002 as an undrafted free agent with Minnesota. He didn’t throw his first NFL regular-season pass until 2007 and didn’t throw a pass last season in Detroit. Over the course of his NFL career, he has thrown about two full seasons worth of passes (954), with a solid passer rating (85.9) and a TD-to-interception ratio of nearly 2-to-1 (41 TD, 23 INTs).

BRITT IN PLAY

Free-agent WR Kenny Britt came and went without a contract during his weekend visit to Rams Park. But the team remains interested in signing him, according to league sources. Britt, who was drafted by Jeff Fisher in Tennessee in 2009, also reportedly has visited New England and had a visit scheduled with Washington.

MORE CAP MONEY

Cortland Finnegan’s free-agent contract with Miami has been filed with the NFL Players Association, and it calls for the veteran cornerback to make $3.5 million in guaranteed salary in 2014. As a result, the Rams will get all $3 million back in a roster bonus that was guaranteed to Finnegan even though the Rams released him.

The Rams aren’t sure when they’ll get the $3 million in salary cap relief. They had yet to pay the actual money to Finnegan, perhaps waiting to see what happened in free agency.

STEWART visits PANTHERS

Safety Darian Stewart, who started six games at strong safety for the Rams last season, made a free-agent visit Monday to Carolina.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
If the Rams sign Hill then IMO Aaron Murray would be in play on draft day, however, if the Rams do not have a bonafide back-up come draft day I don't think they draft a QB coming off ACL surgery like Bradford. I really would be pleased if they could finally add Shaun Hill to the team.

Ram_of_Old

I remember him filling in for Stafford. He did a pretty good job. My son said he was hoping the Lions would keep him, so he must be good.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
Thank you! I was dying with anticipation. This helps a lot.

Get it done, guys!
I've been thirsty for ANY info the past couple days.

I like hearing who they are visiting with, but I really want to hear who they are making a DEAL with.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
I've been thirsty for ANY info the past couple days.

I like hearing who they are visiting with, but I really want to hear who they are making a DEAL with.

Me too

If I have to chose between Hill or Melton... ugh

I'd probably choose Melton banking on Sam behind our beast OL.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Rams moving deliberate with EVERYONE...

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
I know we have some smart crafty guys running things for our Rams now but I fear they may be low-balling some of these FAs trying to get the best deal possible. And I know that is their job and if you don't do that some, you over-spend and get into cap trouble but at some point you will have to pony up a little if you want any of these guys. Hill probably is looking for a pay raise which means $2M+. That may be over the top for Snead but isn't that the going price for a solid backup QB?

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Welcome to the ROD Dodgers! (y) :welcome: :party: :sup: :lifting: :seizure: :rockon: :cheers:

Pull up a keyboard and join our daily tribal ritual of pretending like we know what we're talking about. :LOL:

I mean, we are tribal by nature, and sometimes success and material wealth can divide and separate - it's not a new philosophy I'm sharing - more than hardship, hardship tends to unify.
Colin Farrell

All of us long suffering Rams fans can Identify with that eh? ;)

Thank you. Much appreciated.
I'll be spending some free time in here when my kids will allow it. 2 1/2 yr twins can be quite demanding. They don't care what your doing when they want something.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
My dart partner is also a cards fan. They're not the dodgers....but that seems to work out better for the cards.
Looking forward to baseball season.

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
So my question to those of you who reside in St Loius is....which restaurant should the team be taking FA's to?
If Larry Fitzgerald was in town for a FA visit where would you take him?
I have lived in four general areas of the country and Tony's is still the best restaurant that I've been to. There are other more fun restaurants that I've been to there but Tony's is the best