Senior Bowl

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Survivor Champion
I agree. I'm not sure where this comes from about being weak against the Run. Here are the rankings from PFF for Edge rushers .... Latu's run defense has a rating of 82. There are only 3 other players with a higher rating and isn't by much... a point or two. In addition, people don't realize how good he is in coverage also. His Coverage rating is almost as high as his Pass Rush

View attachment 64355
And this is why I'm hoping the Rams can add a quality CB in FA (not many to be had) because I think Latu fits our system perfectly (provided Shula uses Morris' scheme mostly). Imagine having a good pass defender drop back instead of the dead weight of Hoecht. On top of that, be an elite pass rusher and a well above average run defender. That said, if his medical checks out, I think he is long gone before we see any chance at him.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
That's the list of the best of the week at practices. A lot of people have said Latu hasn't looked good this week at all.
Judging from the Senior Bowl vids I've watched... I don't think I saw one rush of his where he didn't whoop the lineman almost immediately. So if he had a bad week I missed those snaps. Seriously cannot recall one poor rush by him, he looked just like he did at UCLA in fact.

Of course there is no chance he slides to us. But just the chance of it lathers me up badly let me tell you. If we were to get him I don't think I'd sleep for a couple days. :laugh3:

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Judging from the Senior Bowl vids I've watched... I don't think I saw one rush of his where he didn't whoop the lineman almost immediately. So if he had a bad week I missed those snaps. Seriously cannot recall one poor rush by him, he looked just like he did at UCLA in fact.

Of course there is no chance he slides to us. But just the chance of it lathers me up badly let me tell you. If we were to get him I don't think I'd sleep for a couple days. :laugh3:
I saw a lot of 1 v 1 with linemen and don't think I saw him win one. Saw a lot of comments about him being beat again. Could just be what those guys saw though.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I saw a lot of 1 v 1 with linemen and don't think I saw him win one. Saw a lot of comments about him being beat again. Could just be what those guys saw though.
I actually hope that is correct and that he slides. Think the only real knock on him is a medical flag, his neck iirc. But if teams want to overnuke him I look forward to streaking down the middle of my small town in my Rams speedo.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I actually hope that is correct and that he slides. Think the only real knock on him is a medical flag, his neck iirc. But if teams want to overnuke him I look forward to streaking down the middle of my small town in my Rams speedo.
I think I just threw up a little. Now I don't want the pick

8to12

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
And this is why I'm hoping the Rams can add a quality CB in FA (not many to be had) because I think Latu fits our system perfectly (provided Shula uses Morris' scheme mostly). Imagine having a good pass defender drop back instead of the dead weight of Hoecht. On top of that, be an elite pass rusher and a well above average run defender. That said, if his medical checks out, I think he is long gone before we see any chance at him.
I agree mostly but for the last part. Many times players rise after the Senior Bowl if they really stood out. With Latu, he didn't dominate but wasn't disappointing either. So, if he was a mid-first round before the Senior Bowl, he should still be in that same mid-first area. He would be within range of the Rams if there is a run on OT's and WR's.

8to12

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
I saw some but not all.... He was good but didn't dominate. Although I think the clip attached shows what makes him elite with his pass-rush moves ; his counters are incredible

Forward to the 24:40 mark for the 1 minute take on Latu ....runs to 25:40

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9UhhLrxbIts&t=1575s

8to12

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
What is @8to12 even talking about? - Tye Hill
I just think you can't get an OT or Edge rusher that will have an immediate impact outside of the 1st or 2nd round, but with this CB class you can. I'm not so concerned about a swing and miss like what happened with Tye Hill ; the Rams scouting dept is much better now than it was then

Memphis Ram

Legend
I just think you can't get an OT or Edge rusher that will have an immediate impact outside of the 1st or 2nd round, but with this CB class you can. I'm not so concerned about a swing and miss like what happened with Tye Hill ; the Rams scouting dept is much better now than it was then
Interestingly enough, during the past 10 years there has only been about 8 or 9 Edge rushers selected in the 1st round I could argue made an immediate impact. And most were selected within the top 7 selections of the draft. Not one selected 19th or lower.

I didn't look at the 2nd round and each class are different, but there's some food for thought.

Last edited:

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Interestingly enough, during the past 10 years there has only been about 8 or 9 Edge rushers selected in the 1st round I could argue made an immediate impact. And most were selected within the top 7 selections of the draft. Not one selected 19th or lower.

I didn't look at the 2nd round and each class are different, but there's some food for thought.

TJ Watt was the 30th pick

Memphis Ram

Legend
TJ Watt was the 30th pick
Depends upon how one gauges immediate impact, I guess.

Statically, Watt's rookie season vs. Michael Hoecht last year:

Watt had 1 more sack, 2 more QB hits, 3 more tackles for loss, 5 more passes defense, an INT, but 26 fewer tackles. Both had 1 forced fumble.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Depends upon how one gauges immediate impact, I guess.

Statically, Watt's rookie season vs. Michael Hoecht last year:

Watt had 1 more sack, 2 more QB hits, 3 more tackles for loss, 5 more passes defense, an INT, but 26 fewer tackles. Both had 1 forced fumble.

Watt definitely made an impact his rookie season...his season was similar to Byron Young this year and I would say that is making an impact

Memphis Ram

Legend
Watt definitely made an impact his rookie season...his season was similar to Byron Young this year and I would say that is making an impact
Statistically on the plus side:
Young had 1 more sack, 6 more QB hits, 7 more tackles, 1 more forced fumble (recovered one)

On the negative side:
Watt had 7 passes defensed and an INT while Young had none.

Statistically, I guess if we are saying that both Watt and Young had immediate impacts, then we must also give Michael Hoecht a bit of credit, too.