Rumor - Rams like McVay

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
I bet the second interview goes something like:
"Wow, these are some nice assistants you have in place. Isn't desean a free agent? He loves LA right? Of course this interview is about you; why do you ask?"
Lmao but seriously it's a guarantee that Jackson is a Ram if we go with McVay.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

SteezyEndo

The Immaculate Exception
Hmmmm young HC, with veteran minded Wade could be money...Assemble a top notch crew, this off season will be interesting. Well respected individuals showers success for the players. We will finally be a recognized team. Hope this prospect deems true.

A55VA6

Legend
Only thing that is concerning is if we hire McVay and he brings in Wade Phillips, what will this do to our defense? This defense is not built for a 3-4.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Yeah it's a very loose rumor I'd say at this point. I'm curious if Wade Phillips knows that he is McVay's choice to be DC lol. And Denver will have plenty of opportunity to keep him before the Rams ever sign anyone to be head coach since they signed Vance Joseph today. I'm not counting on anything at the moment.

McVay has been linked to him through Wes Phillips, the TE coach with the Skins. Can't remember where I read that.

EDIT: Here is an article from when Wade was with the Cowboys. He clearly wants to see his kid move up, so maybe Wes would be considered as OC as part of that whole deal.

Last edited:

Psycho_X

Legend

Nice, that definitely opens it up. If Phillips wants to keep coaching it'd be a welcome move. Main question would be does he convert the Rams into a 3-4 or works with what he's got?

Just to be purely speculative because I'm bored what would a 3-4 look like with our current personnel? I could see the d-line being ok. Brockers could probably be an ok tackle in a 3-4... might ask him to bulk up a little more. Donald can do anything so not worried about him making a switch to DE and Hayes/Westbrook has the frame to be a DE in a 3-4 if necessary. The linebackers would be the obvious issue. Barron would immediately have no place on the defense unless they moved him back to more of a safety again. Ogeltree would be better back at OLB. Forrest could be serviceable. In the end though we'd need at least two starting linebackers added (especially in the middle). Then there's the question of what to do with Quinn who couldn't be a DE in a 3-4. Could try and convert him to an OLB/tweener though. Snead would have to earn his paycheck in the offseason.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
HOLY CRAP!!!

If they can get McVay AND Wade Philips???

JUMP NOW!!! I'd fly to his daughter's brownie meeting if that's what it took to get that second interview done NOW!!!

Varg6

Starter
Name
Jake
Yeah it's a very loose rumor I'd say at this point. I'm curious if Wade Phillips knows that he is McVay's choice to be DC lol. And Denver will have plenty of opportunity to keep him before the Rams ever sign anyone to be head coach since they signed Vance Joseph today. I'm not counting on anything at the moment.

Nonetheless, these reports have been quite accurate. I'd actually be very satisfied with this outcome. I'm also getting greedy because two teams have now hired someone. I want our Head Coach in place!

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Nice, that definitely opens it up. If Phillips wants to keep coaching it'd be a welcome move. Main question would be does he convert the Rams into a 3-4 or works with what he's got?

Just to be purely speculative because I'm bored what would a 3-4 look like with our current personnel? I could see the d-line being ok. Brockers could probably be an ok tackle in a 3-4... might ask him to bulk up a little more. Donald can do anything so not worried about him making a switch to DE and Hayes/Westbrook has the frame to be a DE in a 3-4 if necessary. The linebackers would be the obvious issue. Barron would immediately have no place on the defense unless they moved him back to more of a safety again. Ogeltree would be better back at OLB. Forrest could be serviceable. In the end though we'd need at least two starting linebackers added (especially in the middle). Then there's the question of what to do with Quinn who couldn't be a DE in a 3-4. Could try and convert him to an OLB/tweener though. Snead would have to earn his paycheck in the offseason.
This was a solution on another site we came up with as a possibility.

DE: Donald
NT: Brockers
DE: Easley/Hayes

OLB: Quinn
MLB: Tree
MLB: Free agent/ draft pick
OLB: Barron

Bring in a thumper/true MLB next to Barron and a big NT to back up Brockers. We also know Wade is smart and flexible and his Denver D often utilized a 4-3 base. I have confidence he could make it work.

Mackeyser

Name
Mack

Bring in a thumper/true MLB next to Barron and a big NT to back up Brockers. We also know Wade is smart and flexible and his Denver D often utilized a 4-3 base. I have confidence he could make it work.

I posted something almost identical awhile back. Great minds and all that...lol

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I do not have any real concerns if both Barron & Qgletree are the starting inside LB'ers with Forrest & Hager as their reliefs. The real issue is the two outside LB'ers twenners. We do not have any. I need to remind myself that its the two Outside 34 LB'ers that make a 34 defense work. If you do not have any the 34 D will not work....period.

Rams have a boatload of DL'ers (Hayes/Westbrooks/Sims/Donald/Brockers/Easley) who can easily man the two posts outside post next to the Nose Tackle, But we have no real run stuffer @ NT. So some trades are in order where we trade some of those DL'ers & Quinn for some tweeners in order to get a new 34 defense off the ground. Lucky for all NFL 34 defense have the luxury of NCAA college turns out a ton of these all the time each & every yr...43 DE's is a horse of a different color.

Robert Quinn will NEVER be a successful OSLB'er in a 34. In a 34 defense you will need to make Aaron Donald a constant movable part or you will find him buried & waste him in a 34 D.

Last edited:

SteezyEndo

The Immaculate Exception
Honestly, the Rams just need to jump
mFGL0fP.gif

shovelpass

Hall of Fame

I do not have any real concerns if both Barron & Qgletree are the starting inside LB'ers with Forrest & Hager as their reliefs. The real issue is the two outside LB'ers twenners. We do not have any. I need to remind myself that its the two Outside 34 LB'ers that make a 34 defense work. If you do not have any the 34 D will not work....period.

Rams have a boatload of DL'ers (Hayes/Westbrooks/Sims/Donald/Brockers/Easley) who can easily man the two posts outside post next to the Nose Tackle, But we have no real run stuffer @ NT. So some trades are in order where we trade some of those DL'ers & Quinn for some tweeners in order to get a new 34 defense off the ground. Lucky for all NFL 34 defense have the luxury of NCAA college turns out a ton of these all the time each & every yr...43 DE's is a horse of a different color.

Robert Quinn will NEVER be a successful OSLB'er in a 34.
Thoughts on Forrest on the outside? Assuming he's healthy. He looked good in limited action off of the edge.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Donald isn't a DE and Brockers isn't a NT that's the problem with that

Psycho_X

Legend

It could work I guess, I'm not sure how Barron or Quinn would do in a 3-4 but honestly no idea so will leave that to Phillips to figure out if he comes here. We definitely have enough workable pieces if need be. And like you said he's not opposed to moving the base packages around so I'm sure a DC of his experience can make it work. Would definitely have to make LB'er one of the priorities in the offseason.

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
Listening to NFL Network, and Wade will not be kept in Denver! :)
as per RapSheet. Vance to prompt db coach to DC if I heard correctly

I'm listening, too, and I'm hoping that the McVay hire is just waiting on the Shanny interview.

With McVay, there's a real chance we get DeSean Jackson and Pierre Garçon. Both would likely be interested in making the change and we're already losing Britt probably and Quick won't likely survive...

SteezyEndo

The Immaculate Exception
I'm listening, too, and I'm hoping that the McVay hire is just waiting on the Shanny interview.

With McVay, there's a real chance we get DeSean Jackson and Pierre Garçon. Both would likely be interested in making the change and we're already losing Britt probably and Quick won't likely survive...

Just thinking that. If he is well liked we could get Garcon or Jackson another good scenario.

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
Donald isn't a DE and Brockers isn't a NT that's the problem with that

JJ Watt isn't used as a typical 2 gap 3-4 DE and neither would AD. He's often used as a 1 gap DE and placed in the 5,7 or 9 gap specifically to be disruptive either to generate TFLs or sacks...

He's still better as a 3 technique, but if Wade Philips becomes our D.C., I'll trust him to best use our guys.