Rumor - Rams like McVay

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Not sure on someone so unproven. But with such a young roster, this might be a better place than a team full of established vets who may not appreciate being told what to do by someone younger than them.

I think we'd need a hell of a staff to pull it off.
" Rumor's" That was a Great Album! By Fleetwood Mac!! Loved every song on it!!"

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
If you look at what makes up the best coordinators, it's their ability to strategically build gameplans and gameday play calling that sets the greatest ones apart. Choosing the best from among them for a head coaching position comes down to how well they lead, connect with players, etc., so that you will get the guy who can grow into that role as the central figure for the organization.

The focus on McVay's age is really the wrong way to approach it. Here's the questions that concern me:

How well does he handle alpha males on his staff and will he be able to bring in guys who aren't just his buddies? In McVay's case he is a guy who not only survived a house cleaning, but he was promoted the next year and has seized the offense under Gruden while leading veteran coaches like Callahan. This is not an element that concerns me as if he is a top option for the Rams right now it means his staff list was not a collection of unknowns and buddies.

How well does he translate to players in his ability to communicate and get buy in? Players love the guy and won't shut up about him. He's not some douchenozzle personality like Haley who players want to choke, but he's also not their friend. The dude is in charge and you can see it in his interactions that have been posted up here on vids.

How well can he handle the media and endless details that pop up? I see no issues here. This guy has no family, he is married to the game. Now that might make him a risk of burning out like Vermiel did, because he's probably going to sleep in his office at first. But that's a concern for later.

Will he be able to toe that hard line when he needs to with staff and/or players? This is the risk with him. But honestly when I look at guys like McDaniels, who struggled with all three of these in his Denver experience, I think it's a risk inherent with any young coach. This is what I'm talking about when I say they need to grow him into that head coach they want.

Demoff should have a real good idea through his Dad of the Rams chances of getting Shanahan, so I don't have an issue with them waiting to interview him. But personally I'd just lock McVay up now and start building it around him, give him that edge to start hiring his coaches immediately.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Wade can run either... and THAT would be just STUNNING...

I'm about to break my hand pounding the table for this guy...

You have excellent veteran coaches, some with HC experience, willing to coach FOR this young turk.

If that doesn't speak volumes...nothing will.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Wade can run either... and THAT would be just STUNNING...

I'm about to break my hand pounding the table for this guy...

You have excellent veteran coaches, some with HC experience, willing to coach FOR this young turk.

If that doesn't speak volumes...nothing will.
Bring in Phillips and retain Fassel and I'm a giddy school girl this off season.

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm a fan of mcvay. He and phillips would be a great combo. And we know mcvay can run an offense all his own so phillips taking the defense is great

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member

View: https://twitter.com/adamschefter/status/819249247296098305

Ok if he's bringing Wade than I'm really intrigued by the possibility of McVay as HC.

Holy F. Did not expect that.

Wade would be the best DC hire one could make right now. Now I am sure many guys list him as desired, but obviously they're not all gonna get him. I have assumed that Shanahan would end up with Wade, but if he elected to go with McVay and we hire him, well, great things are ahead for us dudes. Phillips would shore up some of our defense's inconsistencies rather quickly.

IF that is the case wtf is taking Demoff so long? Don't waste your time on other interviews brother, just hire this kid ffs.

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I bet the second interview goes something like:
"Wow, these are some nice assistants you have in place. Isn't desean a free agent? He loves LA right? Of course this interview is about you; why do you ask?"

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug
Will he be able to toe that hard line when he needs to with staff and/or players? This is the risk with him. But honestly when I look at guys like McDaniels, who struggled with all three of these in his Denver experience, I think it's a risk inherent with any young coach. This is what I'm talking about when I say they need to grow him into that head coach they want.

Agree 100% with your entire post @Merlin (us Vegas guys gotta' stick together;)), and am not high on McDaniels either, but imo he was dead on regarding Cutler and Marshall.
Tebow? - not so much.:rolllaugh:

As far as Phillips :yess:.

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom
http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2017/01/11/nfl-head-coach-vacancy-sean-mcvay-rams-mailbag

• Los Angeles.
There’s always a candidate that comes out of the blue. This year’s guy is growing on the Rams, and fast. The Rams are serious about 30-year-old offensive coordinator Sean McVay of Washington. (Well, he’s not so young. He does turn 31 in two weeks.) He was the play-caller in Washington the past two years under Jay Gruden, and the grandson of Bill Walsh’s director of football operations in San Francisco is well respected by his players. When the Rams interviewed McVay, they found a guy who was totally un-awed by the prospect of being the youngest head coach in the league. He’s been training for it under Gruden. “I’m sure,” Gruden told our Andy Benoit last summer, “he’ll be a head coach a lot sooner than people think.” If McVay’s the call over Houston assistant Mike Vrabel or Buffalo interim coach Anthony Lynn (the Rams loved Lynn when they spoke Sunday), he’ll have to build a veteran staff to help him negotiate the stuff he doesn’t know. But the prospect of McVay, who helped tutor Kirk Cousins into respectability, working with top 2016 pick Jared Goff might be most attractive to the Rams. Keep in mind that owner Stan Kroenke has to approve all hires, and he hasn’t met with the youngster yet. So set nothing in stone here.

giphy.gif

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/category/rumor-mill/

Report: Sean McVay’s top choice for DC is Wade Phillips
Posted by Darin Gantt on January 11, 2017, 1:41 PM EST
487111712.jpg
Getty Images
If you’re going to hire the youngest head coach in NFL history, you better back him up with some experience.

That may be happening in Los Angeles.

According to Adam Schefter of ESPN, Rams candidate Sean McVay wants to bring Wade Phillips in as his defensive coordinator if he gets the head coaching job.

The 30-year-old McVay is the offensive whiz kid of the moment, but the 69-year-old Phillips with the talent assembled with the Rams is intriguing. They’re built on a 4-3 platform, but Phillips is one of the top defensive minds in the game.

Phillips has been mentioned with some other jobs, including Washington.

OC_Ram

Restricted Free Agent
TBH, I am concerned with Snead's involvement in the HC hire process. He would obviously have motives to keep himself employed. This would hamper our quest to hire the "best" coach available if said coach wants his own GM not named Snead, right?

Last edited:

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
TBH, I am concerned with Snead's in the HC hire process. He would obviously have motives to keep himself employed and this could hamper our ability to secure the "best" coach available, right?
Don't see how that would be the case at all.

Psycho_X

Legend

View: https://twitter.com/adamschefter/status/819249247296098305

So am I missing where Wade has said the feeling is mutual? All this is saying for sure is that when asked who would he target, McVay has Phillips as his #1 choice for DC.

My #1 choice for car to drive is an Aston Martin DB9 GT. I still won't be driving one anytime soon.

Yeah it's a very loose rumor I'd say at this point. I'm curious if Wade Phillips knows that he is McVay's choice to be DC lol. And Denver will have plenty of opportunity to keep him before the Rams ever sign anyone to be head coach since they signed Vance Joseph today. I'm not counting on anything at the moment.