Rumor - Rams like McVay

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

lordbannon

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2017/01/11/nfl-head-coach-vacancy-sean-mcvay-rams-mailbag

• Los Angeles.
There’s always a candidate that comes out of the blue. This year’s guy is growing on the Rams, and fast. The Rams are serious about 30-year-old offensive coordinator Sean McVay of Washington. (Well, he’s not so young. He does turn 31 in two weeks.) He was the play-caller in Washington the past two years under Jay Gruden, and the grandson of Bill Walsh’s director of football operations in San Francisco is well respected by his players. When the Rams interviewed McVay, they found a guy who was totally un-awed by the prospect of being the youngest head coach in the league. He’s been training for it under Gruden. “I’m sure,” Gruden told our Andy Benoit last summer, “he’ll be a head coach a lot sooner than people think.” If McVay’s the call over Houston assistant Mike Vrabel or Buffalo interim coach Anthony Lynn (the Rams loved Lynn when they spoke Sunday), he’ll have to build a veteran staff to help him negotiate the stuff he doesn’t know. But the prospect of McVay, who helped tutor Kirk Cousins into respectability, working with top 2016 pick Jared Goff might be most attractive to the Rams. Keep in mind that owner Stan Kroenke has to approve all hires, and he hasn’t met with the youngster yet. So set nothing in stone here.

lordbannon

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Not sure on someone so unproven. But with such a young roster, this might be a better place than a team full of established vets who may not appreciate being told what to do by someone younger than them.

I think we'd need a hell of a staff to pull it off.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Seems like most of even the best young coaches get experienced/better through a failure. Will we be McVay's learning team?

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
I really don't care on the age front tbh. I'm always of the opinion that if you're good enough, you're old enough.

FWIW - I'm not sure Kronke has issues with age either...

Pablo Mastroeni is 40 (Colorado Rapids)
Jared Bednar is 44 (Colorado Avalanche)
Mike Malone is 46 (Denver Nuggets)
Jeff Fisher is 58 (Rams)
Arsène Wenger is 67 (Arsenal)
Pat Coyle (47), Chris Gill (38), Dan Stroup (48) (Colorado Mammoth)

Psycho_X

Legend
Seems like most of even the best young coaches get experienced/better through a failure. Will we be McVay's learning team?

That's my fear. Gruden is the only one I can think of who had good success with his first team as a young coach but immediately got shipped off to Tampa by Al Davis because, well, it's Al Davis. Mike Tomlin had success but he had Dick LeBeau to lean on and an already made Ben Roethlisberger to lead his offense.

My biggest fear is who would be his staff? I'm sure that's the main question any interview revolves around for him. He has no experience picking a staff. And that's the most important piece of this head coach puzzle frankly. Hopefully, Fassel sticks around at the very least for McVay to lean on and to give some stability in that locker room if a young guy gets hired.

I also find it funny that they mention Gruden has been mentoring him in a way. I just read another article that said the Rams have been in contact with Gruden as an adviser to the organization. Coincidence?

Edit: Should clarify that Jay Gruden is the one mentoring him and Jon Gruden is advising the Rams this offseason.

Last edited:

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
30.... err 31.... That is just too young if you're asking me.

He may have been the play caller there with Washington the last 2 years, but Jay Gruden is heavily involved in that offense and their QB development. HEAVILY involved.

He may turn into a very successful HC some day... but I would bet that he isn't anywhere near ready for that right now. 30 years old is barely old enough to get married.

RamsJunkie

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED!
Like others have posted I just worry about the coaching staff hes going to be able to put together. Also is he going to come in as a first time head coach and also attempt to call the plays to? Who in the world would he hire as an OC to run his system?

FRO

Legend
The Rams love to draft raw upside guys in the draft. McVay is the equivalent as HC. He could be fantastic, but it's a huge step for him.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I like it...and, hey, I've wanted some older college HC's. I would hope that he has connections to put together a quality staff. It also sounds like since he's so young, Les Snead is safe.

I read somewhere that agents have a lot to do with getting coaches hired. I wonder what connection does Demoff have to McVay? Rather, what type of relationship is between Kevin, Marvin, McVay, and Gruden?

Stl2La

Hall of Fame

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Wow, if Denver goes Joseph, that would be something.
Could it be possible that at the end of the day, Rams go McVay, San Fran McD that Shanny jr gets shut out all together???

LumberTubs

As idle as a painted ship upon a painted ocean
Name
Phil
So Joseph to the Broncos and McDermott to the Bills leaves us, niners and the chargers (hope I haven't forgotten anyone).

I'd like to think we'd have our pick out of Shanny or McVay

A55VA6

Legend
I like McVay. And remember the report that Rams wanted to speak with Jon Gruden? Well McVay started his coaching career in the NFL at age 22, when he was hired by Jon Gruden. And recently, he was promoted to OC in Washington by Jay Gruden. So there's some ties there.