Rumor - Rams like McVay

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

LARams_1963

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
greg
I just read another wild rumor on another site (with no source) but they said they read something about getting Norv Turner onboard as the OC. Now...while unsubstantiated...wouldn't that be a crazy scenario?

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
I've never been bothered on the age thing - I agree with @Merlin 's earlier post on all his points so there really isn't any point in me saying it again. If we can get Phillips as our DC then that would rock and I love the idea of mixing up 4-3 and 3-4 sets - it would mix things up and keep defences guessing, I also hope that our discipline would improve under these two guys.

My only questions are then,
1. Who do hire as your OC?
2. Who do you have on ST? I'd love to keep Fass...
3. Who do you bring is as your QB coach / mentor?

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
All good questions. I dunno.

I would presume two things:

1) Bones stays
2) McVay nailing these interviews means he had great answers for staff beyond Wade Philips for DC, who's an awesome get, btw, if that happens. So whomever McVay named must have been impressive to Demoff since staff is a HUGE part of nailing these interviews.

jjab360

Legend
It's rare that you find an elite X's and O's guy who's also known to be a player's coach.

This could be a huge get for us, don't blow it Rams.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Small sample to work with, but i see a lot of credit being given to McVay for the offense production this year. 3rd in yardage (2015 was 17) but scoring was 12th in ppg. (2015 was 10). But digging deeper i see McVay criticized for being pass happy yet they rushed for 200 yards more as a team and 17 rushing td this year vs only 9 last.
Again small sample so it's hard to draw any conclusions but replacing an Alfred Morris with an udfa should cause rushing to fall but in fact did the opposite.
Encouraging IMO because TGIII is going to be comeback player of the year in 2017 so I like the trend

Psycho_X

Legend
McVay as HC
Norv Turner as OC
Wade Phillips as DC

I can get behind that. That's a lot of experience to balance out the age. As long as it wouldn't be weird for any of them. It's hard to take orders from someone 30-40 years younger than you I'd imagine.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
McVay as HC
Norv Turner as OC
Wade Phillips as DC

I can get behind that. That's a lot of experience to balance out the age. As long as it wouldn't be weird for any of them. It's hard to take orders from someone 30-40 years younger than you I'd imagine.

The important thing to take from that is that two such accomplished former HCs would be willing to coach for such a young HC. That, all by itself, should speak volumes...

SteezyEndo

The Immaculate Exception
McVay as HC
Norv Turner as OC
Wade Phillips as DC

I'm pretty sure taking orders is not going to be an issue. Winning is all that will matter, and I am sure respect is amongst all these individuals. Egos won't clash.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
I just read another wild rumor on another site (with no source) but they said they read something about getting Norv Turner onboard as the OC. Now...while unsubstantiated...wouldn't that be a crazy scenario?

Doesn't McVay run a variant of the West Coast offense? Turner is from the Coryell tree, so I would take that one with a grain of salt for now.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Doesn't McVay run a variant of the West Coast offense? Turner is from the Coryell tree, so I would take that one with a grain of salt for now.

Yea, that makes no sense at all unless McVay isn't going to have input on the system. He came up under three prominent WCO coaches (the Gruden brothers and Shanahan).

Personally, I don't want Norv here. I don't think his offense is a good fit for Goff or our personnel.

ljramsfan

Pro Bowler
Name
LJ
I was just thinking about the Phillips and McVay scenario. It seems like everywhere Wade has been, the teams have been winners most of the time. Wade Phillips may attract more FA to the team due to his reputation and could help learn his scheme quicker (I know this is obvious, but thought I would mention that) I just wonder who McVay wants on the offensive side and what FA would come to the Rams.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
Yea, that makes no sense at all unless McVay isn't going to have input on the system. He came up under three prominent WCO coaches (the Gruden brothers and Shanahan).

Personally, I don't want Norv here. I don't think his offense is a good fit for Goff or our personnel.

As much as I like Norv and his offense, I agree he's not a good fit with our personnel. If we had an offensive line in which we could have confidence and smart WR's who could get deep, I might feel different.

StealYoGurley

Pro Bowler
I think Wes Phillips the current Redskins TE coach and Wade's son is the more realistic option for Offensive Coordinator. It makes sense for a young offensive coach to get an experienced staff all around him in every role, but OC. IMO Norv doesn't make a lot of sense. Makes more sense to do what Jay Gruden did in Washington by hiring a young offensive mind in McVay while handling play calling duties for a year then handing the reigns over to the young guy after year one when you have built your offensive foundation.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
McVay as HC
Norv Turner as OC
Wade Phillips as DC

Those are 2 coordinators that adjust to the talent on the team.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
As much as I like Norv and his offense, I agree he's not a good fit with our personnel. If we had an offensive line in which we could have confidence and smart WR's who could get deep, I might feel different.
Norv has always adjusted to his personell.
Look what he was doing in San Diego with Antonio Gates. In past offenses, TE were nothing more than a safety net. In SD, TE became a focal point.

A55VA6

Legend
I heard McVay would handle the offensive play calling if hired. Do you guys think he would be putting too much on his own plate?

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
Norv has always adjusted to his personell.
Look what he was doing in San Diego with Antonio Gates. In past offenses, TE were nothing more than a safety net. In SD, TE became a focal point.

Not necessarily true. With Dallas in the 1990's he leaned pretty heavily on Jay Novacek. In fact, in most variations of the Coryell offense (Martz being an exception) the TE is an integral part. The Chargers had Kellen Winslow, the Rams in the late 80's had Pete Holohan (gawd I miss having a TE like that), Dallas had Novacek, the Chargers later had Gates, the Redskins had various guys ... but most places you find that offense, you'll find a TE playing a rather significant role.

Nevertheless, it's no so much an adjustment to personnel thing, it's a more fundamental philosophical difference between schemes that would be the issue.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Not necessarily true. With Dallas in the 1990's he leaned pretty heavily on Jay Novacek. In fact, in most variations of the Coryell offense (Martz being an exception) the TE is an integral part. The Chargers had Kellen Winslow, the Rams in the late 80's had Pete Holohan (gawd I miss having a TE like that), Dallas had Novacek, the Chargers later had Gates, the Redskins had various guys ... but most places you find that offense, you'll find a TE playing a rather significant role.

Nevertheless, it's no so much an adjustment to personnel thing, it's a more fundamental philosophical difference between schemes that would be the issue.
Politely disagree on Dallas.
That offense ran on the big 3 of Aikmen, Irvin and Smith.
Novacheck was not a focal point of that offense. He was a fan favorite and great possession receiver for Aikmen tough.
It was also a well balanced offense. Aikmen never put up huge numbers, but they sure won a lot of games.

In SD. Gates talent was too much to ignore and Norv made him a focal point of his passing game.