Robert Woods Signs Extension

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

MarkyMark

Rams fan for Life!!
Name
Mark
We now have Goff, Woods, Donald, Ramsey, Higbee, and Kupp locked up for a while!! I'm a happy Rams fan. GO RAMS!!!

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2022 TOP Member
We won't know the final details for a while but congrats to Robert :) Glad he'll be in Horns for his career.

oldnotdead

Legend
Interesting to see the details of the deal. Should have given Kupp the 4 years and Woods the 3.

Woody had 2 more years under his current contract for which he was badly underpaid for the level of production and impact he makes. So what Snead did was to tack on an additional 4 years to his existing contract so he's under contract through 2025. By incorporating his last two years they can spread that $16M / yr cap hit of the last 4 overall of the years included in the contract. Remember I keep saying it's all in the guaranteed money. Wood's contract includes $32M in guaranteed money, probably most if not all is probably signing bonus. That will allow them to keep his base salary and yearly cap hit lower than the $16M suggests (that's really is the average for the last 4 years). So they can keep his cap hit the same this year and perhaps begin to spread the guaranteed money over the remaining 5 years.

It wouldn't surprise me if the final structure shows his cap hit over the last 5 years at being around $10-$12M per year which is what his approximate current market value is. This is why I was thinking an average yearly of $12-$14M and it should work out close to that. This is excellent cap management anticipating the positional rise from 2022 on. Snead has done this a lot with players. Contracts that initially leave you scratching your head are proved to be tremendous values a few years later.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

you get an extension, you get an extension, everybody gets an extension.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
See, now I'm done worrying about it.
After Ramsey, many of you said we couldn't sign Kupp. After Kupp, many said we couldn't extend Woods...

The Rams clearly don't feel like the same rules apply to them and until they are proven wrong, I won't question or assume to know what can and can't be done by the team.

I do know that many teams can't do what we do with contracts. Its blamed on the salary cap but really the issue is mostly cheap ownership.
giphy.gif

You have found the light (y)

“Turbo set!”

Pro Bowler
Here we go again.

Paying big money to skill position players and ignoring the lines and linebackers. I guess we didn't learn our lesson with paying Gurley and Cooks.

Hopefully next off season we can sign a linebacker and offensive lineman....oh wait... we are cap broke.

Having said that I do like Woods.

payote75

Hall of Fame
Name
Payote75
Here we go again.

Paying big money to skill position players and ignoring the lines and linebackers. I guess we didn't learn our lesson with paying Gurley and Cooks.

The thing is you do want to keep these players right???

And I think the way they are structuring these deals it is so we will have cap flexibility to address those needs next off-season. With those two positions you mentioned they can address the o-line and a line backer or two assuming nobody steps up this season. then you have the draft with a comp pick or two which we seem to make excellent use of. The only drawback maybe that we will have to sacrifice Everett and JJ but we seem to be ready for that and it's not a given yet. So let's just see what the plan is before we go thinking negative. Just saying.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Congrats to RDub and well deserved. I like caponomics about as much as I enjoyed statistics, which is to say not at all, so fuck it let's party. And cross our fingers. :beer2: :cool: (y)

ramfan46

Pro Bowler
Love it! Bobby Trees is one of the most consistent Rams during the McVay era. Got me thinking they should've just signed Watkins lol.
Got Kupp and Woods locked up on very reasonable deals. The trickle down effect will be every other WR that is brought in will get incredible tips and coaching from those two. Similar to when Ike and Torry set the tone.
Loaded at the skill positions. If Akers hits, OMG.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Well, I didn't expect this right after the Kupp extension, but they got the deal done.

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike
One of the must-do extensions if any way to get it worked out IMO...Hoping his local ties might make him amenable to the almost non-existent home town discount...Even a small break would help the Rams cap situation

I've been impressed with him since before he was a Ram...Always a reliable football player, who never seems to take a play off and doesn't shy away from turning into a blocker down field...I like this move...

CoachAllred

Hall of Fame
I know most of you know this, but just in case there are some who do not.
It's very easy to see Wood's receiving talent, and how well he runs those jet sweeps and screens.
But if you want to see a Clinic on how to block from the WR position , watch DR. Woods operate on game day.
Nobody does it better.

As far as the cap? I trust Kevin, Snead and Mcvay. Bobbleheads can say what they will. I got no worries.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
We are set! Everybody is happy! Now, let’s go kick some ass!!!!