Robert Woods Signs Extension

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
So back in the dark ages when the rams were needing WRs and Robert Woods was coming out of USC, I was pretty hopeful we would draft him in the 2nd. He reminded me of a poor man's Isaac Bruce but honestly he just kind of reminded me of the type of 6ft, 200lb complete WR that I had grown spoiled to under Martz. The Holt-Bruce-Curtis-McDonald-Looker-Furrey Era of just super reliable receivers. Woods looked the part and fit our draft budget, but alas...
I've always thought Woods belonged in horns and I am so glad to know he'll be here a lot longer.
View: https://bleacherreport.com/articles/1605686-robert-woods-scouting-report-nfl-outlook-for-usc-wr

Neil039

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If anyone is deserving of an extension, Woods has to be at the top of the list. Super news for Woods and the Rams.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
Love our GM and FO and HC. This needed to get done. Van isn't Woods replacement, hes just another awesome wr. Love this signing so much. Much deserved. Best WR corp in the NFL.

giphy.gif

Ram65

Legend
So Woods gets a little more than Kupp. Reported at $65 Million with up to $68 Million for four years. That's $16.25 Million per at the low end and $17 Million on the high end. It's a high guarantee at $32 Million. He needs to stay healthy probably for four years for the Rams investment to payoff then have limited risk. Woods has been very reliable knock on Woods. Robert has earned the deal and will be 33 entering the final year of the deal. I would like to see how it pays out.

It's hard not to be apprehensive about the Rams' ability to maintain quality at other positions including the offensive line and front seven on defense after the recent new deals for Woods, Kupp, and Ramsey. Rams need to keep finding quality players at a lower cost in the draft, UDFA, cuts, practice squads, trades and under rocks to stay condenters. The Rams are putting a lot of faith in the scouting department and current NFL player evalators.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I mentioned this before, but this is the line in the sand. Nobody else will be crossing it - we've drafted replacements for JJ, Everett, Ebukam. We will need to likely replace Hill, Whitworth and Blythe if their replacements aren't already on the roster. And we will need to replace Floyd.

I think we move money around to keep Blythe, then draft EDGE, CB and OL in the second and third rounds. We will need Obo, Polite or Lewis to be a hit.

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
Under Woods’ last contract, he was getting paid 6.8M on average per year. He ridiculously outplayed that contract.

By the time 2022 rolls around, Woods’ new average of 16.2 M per year will, again, seem like a great bargain.

Fantastic production, mediocre compensation.

Robert Woods, you’re no Sam Bradford

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Love Robert Woods and eh does all the little things too, that makes a team successful. I trust the regime and believe that trading first round picks will be over after this season. i also look for them to target linebackers and a strong guard in next year's draft.

Reddog99

Pro Bowler
Glad to see Woods staying. It's incredible that we have AD, Ramsey, Goff, Woods, Kupp and Higbee all locked up. Now it's time to win a superbowl or three. What a great time to be a Rams fan!

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Here we go again.

Paying big money to skill position players and ignoring the lines and linebackers I guess we didn't learn our lesson with paying Gurley and Cooks.

Hopefully next off season we can sign a linebacker and offensive lineman....oh wait... we are cap broke.Having said that I do like Woods.
Trying to look on the bright side here .....The Rams should be in excellent shape in the WR unit (Jefferson, Woods, Kupp, Jackson & Webster) until 2024 season.

Hopefully, it will let them concentrate on the OL & ILB'ers in future drafts. But as we all know utilizing the draft to make build & give you a solid OL going into the season usually means disaster.

Snead might have made a mistake not securing his late 3rd day 2020 draft selection ILB'er Clay Johnston, but I understand that. It was also my understanding that the Rams like Christain Rozeboom just as much. The jury is still out on just what we have here @ ILB'er. I see where versatile LB'er Natrez Patrick has been called up for Sunday's game. Then there is also ILB Derrick Moncrief & Daniel Bituli lurking on the PS for their chance to hit something besides another Ram offensive player.

IMO there is NO better salary cap fund investment than in signing healthy good veteran OL'ers for a QB like Goff. Rams are not absent a few of these investments (Whitworth/ Havenstein & Blythe) so I know that Snead is aware of this fact.

It would have been just plain wrong not to sign both Kupp & Woods.:horns:

Last edited:

Gandalf

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Woody had 2 more years under his current contract for which he was badly underpaid for the level of production and impact he makes. So what Snead did was to tack on an additional 4 years to his existing contract so he's under contract through 2025. By incorporating his last two years they can spread that $16M / yr cap hit of the last 4 overall of the years included in the contract. Remember I keep saying it's all in the guaranteed money. Wood's contract includes $32M in guaranteed money, probably most if not all is probably signing bonus. That will allow them to keep his base salary and yearly cap hit lower than the $16M suggests (that's really is the average for the last 4 years). So they can keep his cap hit the same this year and perhaps begin to spread the guaranteed money over the remaining 5 years.

It wouldn't surprise me if the final structure shows his cap hit over the last 5 years at being around $10-$12M per year which is what his approximate current market value is. This is why I was thinking an average yearly of $12-$14M and it should work out close to that. This is excellent cap management anticipating the positional rise from 2022 on. Snead has done this a lot with players. Contracts that initially leave you scratching your head are proved to be tremendous values a few years later.
I realize the cap management. What I meant is that Kupp is younger and here 4 more years, whereas, Woods is a little older and here 6 more years.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
Trying to look on the bright side here .....The Rams should be in excellent shape in the WR unit (Jefferson, Woods, Kupp, Jackson & Webster) until 2024 season.

Hopefully, it will let them concentrate on the OL & ILB'ers in future drafts. But as we all know utilizing the draft to make build & give you a solid OL going into the season usually means disaster.

Snead might have made a mistake not securing his late 3rd day 2020 draft selection ILB'er Clay Johnston, but I understand that. It was also my understanding that the Rams like Christain Rozeboom just as much. The jury is still out on just what we have here @ ILB'er. I see where versatile LB'er Natrez Patrick has been called up for Sunday's game. Then there is also ILB Derrick Moncrief & Daniel Bituli lurking on the PS for their chance to hit something besides another Ram offensive player.

IMO there is better salary cap fund investment than in signing healthy good veteran OL'ers for a QB like Goff. Rams are not absent a few of these investments (Whitworth/ Havenstein & Blythe) so I know that Snead is aware of this fact.

It would have been just plain wrong not to sign both Kupp & Woods.:horns:
Few teams invest at ILB anymore since it is often a 2 down position at best. Just look at other rosters.

Unless you are lucky enough to get a freak like the guy in Seattle, whose name escapes me, you invest in CB, LT, QB, DE/ pass rusher, and skill positions.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Few teams invest at ILB anymore since it is often a 2 down position at best. Just look at other rosters.

Unless you are lucky enough to get a freak like the guy in Seattle, whose name escapes me, you invest in CB, LT, QB, DE/ pass rusher, and skill positions.
I would never advocate the use of priceless first & 2nd day draft selections on drafting ILB'ers.

Now if we are speaking of investing 1st & 2nd-day draft selections I prefer drafting elite pass rushers @ DT or ER's & Corners. Normally these defensive players can be ready to play in the first year & contribute much over their 4 yr contracts. OL'ers usually fall on the opposite end of this. We have two examples of this ongoing now Noteboom & Allen. Both are in their 3rd seasons & have done very little to help this team win.

I would be Okay with a LT who is advanced in pass protection in the 1st round due to the 5th yr option but is still a very big gamble usually not worth taking.

Last edited:

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Who on the line or linebackers do you want extended? Whit got his, which is scary since he's 63 years old, but who else?
200.gif
Right? I mean, when we find a Bobby Wagner i would imagine Demoff will open the checkbook.

jap

Legend
IIRC, when Robert Woods was coming out of high school, he was the most highly recruited receiver nationally. I followed his collegiate career somewhat (I don't follow the collegiate game nearly as much as I used to when I was much younger), and I really wanted the Horns to draft him as he was leaving college. I was crushed to see Buffalo take him in the draft.

Seeing the Horns target Robert at the start of the McVay regime was the first real glimpse that good times were coming to LA again. You have to identify your core talent for your respective offensive, defensive. & special teams' philosophies and keep them all in the House!

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Woods and Kupp basically the same age. The narrative that Woods is the old man and Kupp the young buck is silly