Red Zone Issues

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

fanotodd

Diehard
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Fanotodd
Anybody else sick of seeing that fade to the back corner? It looks bad the second it leaves Stafford’s hand.

What happened to the quick out to the front pylon?
—if you insist on throwing it. There’s got to other passing options.

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Anybody else sick of seeing that fade to the back corner? It looks bad the second it leaves Stafford’s hand.

1000x YES. against the bears there was an attempt where Jordan Whittington ran a double move between two defenders and the window was so small, but you could see that the throw was predetermined. Why draw up something like that?!?

Memphis Ram

Legend

I just knew that McVay would utilize Allen or Parkinson far more in the redzone. How could he not see the size advantage???

Also 11 personnel is great in between the 20s. But in the redzone, stop being so cute all the time and get more physical. Use more 12 or 13 personnel sometimes. If they did, then the play action concepts would be even more effective.

Has McVay surrounded himself with a bunch a yes men? Somebody in the building has got to be able to see the redzone flaws.

Last edited:

Memphis Ram

Legend
yeah we already have like 3 thread on this....
I used to think the same way on some topics.

But I've noticed that it possible that unless one really has the time to check almost every thread or post posted here, subjects can be missed by another poster.

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I like Parkinson but he isn't gonna be anything special because he lacks the instincts of fighting for the ball. That int he was content to watch the ball in when the DB had position. Gotta fight there. At the least disrupt the catch.

That is why Stafford favors certain players. Because he wants to feed that ball in aggressively so they have a chance, but it takes two to tango.

Jacobarch

Legend
Name
Jake
I like Parkinson but he isn't gonna be anything special because he lacks the instincts of fighting for the ball. That int he was content to watch the ball in when the DB had position. Gotta fight there. At the least disrupt the catch.

That is why Stafford favors certain players. Because he wants to feed that ball in aggressively so they have a chance, but it takes two to tango.

Parkinson made a lot of mistakes in the Chi game. He also showed lack of effort on multiple plays. I kind of zeroed in on him after that out of bounds int. How in the world did a 6'7" TE get pushed out of bounds by a CB is beyond me.

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Survivor Champion
How about utilizing the drop back quick throw to Kyren near the line. KC uses it very well and with Kyrens skill set, it seems like a good option for us. ANYTHING but that very low percentage fade to the corner. Especially when you are not throwing it to Kupp or Puka.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I used to think the same way on some topics.

But I've noticed that it possible that unless one really has the time to check almost every thread or post posted here, subjects can be missed by another poster.
Fair enough

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

He looks a lot slower this year than he did in Seattle. Wonder if the scheme of complicating for him.

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Parkinson made a lot of mistakes in the Chi game. He also showed lack of effort on multiple plays. I kind of zeroed in on him after that out of bounds int. How in the world did a 6'7" TE get pushed out of bounds by a CB is beyond me.
Yeah and what's fucked up is imagine being Stafford right now. You don't have one baller who is gonna come up with 50/50s. Not one fighter who is going to disrupt it worst case to prevent an INT. That INT was still Stafford's fault btw. Not exempting him from it. But he's throwing to subpar options across the board.

Jacobarch

Legend
Name
Jake
Yeah and what's fucked up is imagine being Stafford right now. You don't have one baller who is gonna come up with 50/50s. Not one fighter who is going to disrupt it worst case to prevent an INT. That INT was still Stafford's fault btw. Not exempting him from it. But he's throwing to subpar options across the board.

Yeah Stafford grew up with Megatron, the king of 50/50 balls. So it makes sense that he would trust his WR's to go up and make a play. With Kupp and Puka they obviously have that rapport goes a long way. I agree it was Staffords fault but he clearly was expecting his TE to win in single coverage up the sideline. Not only did Parkinson lose but he got manhandled at the point of attack.

0311rams

RomandeacondikersonwarnerStafforddonaldkupp
Name
Madrid311
A good consistence Running scheme is McVays friend he left back in his younger day's. If we embrace it Stafford would thrive. So I'm blaming McVay and Stafford and then his other coaches he brought in to help with red zone and end of game situations regarding time outs and such. Why don't we run the ball more in those situations, if the online is to blame then he needs to be more creative in his play calling. I'm just venting, go rams.

Toothsayer

UDFA
Name
Richard H Stee
Yeah Stafford grew up with Megatron, the king of 50/50 balls. So it makes sense that he would trust his WR's to go up and make a play. With Kupp and Puka they obviously have that rapport goes a long way. I agree it was Staffords fault but he clearly was expecting his TE to win in single coverage up the sideline. Not only did Parkinson lose but he got manhandled at the point of attack.
Has ball placement and touch ever been a Stafford strength ? I think it's the trade-off for the off-platform magic & exceptional focus under pressure. Plenty of Kitty fans out there will tell you that the former contributed to Megatron's early retirement almost as much as the latter helped his productivity.

Given the situation with the OL & lack of TE blocking options, I'd rather have Parkinson go down/ out of bounds now & then, but stay available. I don't know what happened on the INT & think it's dubious to extrapolate a general criticism of CP because of it.

The guy is on pace for 50 catches & nearly 500 yds for the season despite far fewer chances than I bet LAR anticipated. He had 57/618 over FOUR seasons with The Hags. I think you saw a flash of what they hoped to get from him vs DET then the injuries, inc his own, changed things.

Stafford and McVay's RZ issues pre-date, by a loooooong way, CP's arrival. Ditto for McVay's use of TEs as receiving options in general. I think the worst you can say about this TE is that he's yet to be a part of the solution as a RZ target. I bet you could find some key blocks on several of those Kyren TDs , though. His purported "softness" is a dubious culprit for the offense's issues, imo.

Btw, Sanchez calling him out for going out of bounds after gaining 7 on a 2nd & 8 is both illogical & some distasteful punk-ass stuff for a former pro. Internet tough guys are one thing; he should know better. A blocking TE in the NFL probably absorbs more contact in a game than he ever did in his career. I know some of you are fans from his USC days or whatever, but that comment and the actual "awws" of disappointment when CHI plays were called back for penalties - never happened when LAR had similar setbacks- make me even less impressed with him as a commentator.

Jacobarch

Legend
Name
Jake
Has ball placement and touch ever been a Stafford strength ? I think it's the trade-off for the off-platform magic & exceptional focus under pressure. Plenty of Kitty fans out there will tell you that the former contributed to Megatron's early retirement almost as much as the latter helped his productivity.

Given the situation with the OL & lack of TE blocking options, I'd rather have Parkinson go down/ out of bounds now & then, but stay available. I don't know what happened on the INT & think it's dubious to extrapolate a general criticism of CP because of it.

The guy is on pace for 50 catches & nearly 500 yds for the season despite far fewer chances than I bet LAR anticipated. He had 57/618 over FOUR seasons with The Hags. I think you saw a flash of what they hoped to get from him vs DET then the injuries, inc his own, changed things.

Stafford and McVay's RZ issues pre-date, by a loooooong way, CP's arrival. Ditto for McVay's use of TEs as receiving options in general. I think the worst you can say about this TE is that he's yet to be a part of the solution as a RZ target. I bet you could find some key blocks on several of those Kyren TDs , though. His purported "softness" is a dubious culprit for the offense's issues, imo.

Btw, Sanchez calling him out for going out of bounds after gaining 7 on a 2nd & 8 is both illogical & some distasteful punk-ass stuff for a former pro. Internet tough guys are one thing; he should know better. A blocking TE in the NFL probably absorbs more contact in a game than he ever did in his career. I know some of you are fans from his USC days or whatever, but that comment and the actual "awws" of disappointment when CHI plays were called back for penalties - never happened when LAR had similar setbacks- make me even less impressed with him as a commentator.

I agree that he is a terrible commentator. But unfortunately he's not going anywhere anytime soon.
I don't see eye to eye with you on CP as I watched his lack of effort on a handful of plays. He either plays with bad technique or he wiffs on plays, mainly blocking. Not saying he's a bad TE by any means, I'm saying he can do better. The sack on Stafford, the INT, the miss block on the Williams running play for a possible 1st down. He was schemed against, and bravo to Chicago for game planning against him. The gist of what I'm saying is he needs to do better on his blocking, and McVay needs to put him in better situations to succeed.
On the INT where he went out of bounds. As I pointed out before, the CB dominated him physically and drove him out of bounds legally I might add, and instead of working his way back in to the field he clearly gave up on the route and Stafford threw the ball. It was a bang bang play and obviously they were on two different pages. I agree it wasn't the best decision by Stafford however, the TE needs to make a play on the ball and not give up on that route, even if the CB wins the battle for the ball the TE would at least be there to play defender knocking the pass down or away.

The RZ issues are most likely due to not having our Oline intact, our starting TE, and top two WR's. Those are big pieces to the puzzle. Last year we were top 5 in RZ efficiency, so your statement doesn't really hold water. Big difference being we were healthy last year, this year not so much.