Red Zone Issues

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie

The very first play at the beginning of the video is a good example of why they have trouble scoring TD's in the redzone. First and goal at the six. 3 straight pass plays. That is a head scratcher. If you run on first and second down, maybe you score. Maybe you don't. But you're likely gonna be close to the one yard line on 3rd down. Making it more difficult for the defense. They don't know if you'll run or pass it. Your chances of a TD are much higher than two straight incomplete passes because of poor execution or play calling.

JonRam99

Hall of Fame
Name
Jonathan
The very first play at the beginning of the video is a good example of why they have trouble scoring TD's in the redzone. First and goal at the six. 3 straight pass plays. That is a head scratcher. If you run on first and second down, maybe you score. Maybe you don't. But you're likely gonna be close to the one yard line on 3rd down. Making it more difficult for the defense. They don't know if you'll run or pass it. Your chances of a TD are much higher than two straight incomplete passes because of poor execution or play calling.
I get the feeling that Staff's audible to KW for a TD was not on McVay's radar. It was perfect. KW can easily get you 5yds every time, with his excellent vision & ability to always fall forward.
I don't get this either. Fades?? We don't have the WR's for that, at least not atm until Kupp gets back.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
Jake is a moron. Taking play calling duties from McVay would be the type of shit Georgia Frontiera and John Shaw would do.

I won't say McVay needs to give up playcalling duties. But he needs to do some serious introspection as to why we keep coming up short in the redzone, because the buck stops with him. The redzone playcalling this season, injuries notwithstanding, are probably the difference between 3-1 and 1-3.

Jacobarch

Legend
Name
Jake
Jake is a moron. Taking play calling duties from McVay would be the type of shit Georgia Frontiera and John Shaw would do.

Whether or not McVay lets someone else call plays inside the 20 is irrelevant. Fact is he's been bad in the RZ play calling virtually his whole career. You can disagree all you want but numbers don't lie, feelings do.

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Whether or not McVay lets someone else call plays inside the 20 is irrelevant.
Wrong. I think that is wholly up to McVay and needs to remain so.

If the Rams were in fact to act like idiots like Jake and nitpick McVay about giving up playcalling he would end up moving on to another team and winning titles elsewhere.

Jacobarch

Legend
Name
Jake
Wrong. I think that is wholly up to McVay and needs to remain so.

If the Rams were in fact to act like idiots like Jake and nitpick McVay about giving up playcalling he would end up moving on to another team and winning titles elsewhere.

I'm only advocating for him to give up play calling in the RZ. Besides what if McVay was calling plays outside the RZ and his Offensive coord was calling plays in the RZ? I don't see an issue with that. It's not wrong, it's just your opinion just like I have mine... If the Rams could improve their RZ offense they would be better off no matter who calls the plays. Either way it's a problem and there's no denying that.

Toothsayer

UDFA
Name
Richard H Stee
Whether or not McVay lets someone else call plays inside the 20 is irrelevant. Fact is he's been bad in the RZ play calling virtually his whole career. You can disagree all you want but numbers don't lie, feelings do.
I think it's a weakness in his OC game/system, relatively speaking, but bad ? I don't think he's ever been lower third, NFL-wide, irrc. The rankings can be deceiving for stats with such small numbers as RZ ATTs/TDs, too, right ? Convert a couple more or less & you go up and down faster than a good girl's hand on prom night.

If LAR wasn't getting into the RZ as often, I'd be a lot more worried. LAR has been top 12 in RZ attempts every year of McVay's era except for '22 (28th) & '20 (15th). Top five in four of those seven seasons. Currently sitting at #2, right ?

Just odd & frustrating that someone has OC-ed five top-10 scoring offenses in seven years despite being relatively pedestrian there.

Btw, GB is just as bad as LAR at letting offenses into the RZ; 3.8 per game, and allowing TDs; 60%. Fudge dem Packers, Coach. You got this.

Last edited:

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I'm only advocating for him to give up play calling in the RZ. Besides what if McVay was calling plays outside the RZ and his Offensive coord was calling plays in the RZ? I don't see an issue with that. It's not wrong, it's just your opinion just like I have mine... If the Rams could improve their RZ offense they would be better off no matter who calls the plays. Either way it's a problem and there's no denying that.
Telling McVay he's gonna give up playcalling in the redzone is the kind of bullshit that would make a top head coach move on.

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
I do not agree with going empty in the redzone unless you are always empty. There should always be a RB with the QB shot gun or not. All plays should have play action except when it is a quick pass. I will never understand running the ball well and not at least using it as a threat. To me that is really bad play calling.

Psycho_X

Legend
This is a rinse and repeat from last season. After the losses last year people were all up in arms "McVay shouldn't call plays" "LaFleur should take playcalling duties" "McVay has lost it!!" etc etc etc. And then we made the playoffs. Every year some people have no faith in the man and yet he usually finds a way. Let the man cook.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I do not agree with going empty in the redzone unless you are always empty. There should always be a RB with the QB shot gun or not. All plays should have play action except when it is a quick pass. I will never understand running the ball well and not at least using it as a threat. To me that is really bad play calling.

I agree with a lot of what you’re saying. I just looked at the END of the 1st qtr (Bears). I still think it depends on how you run your offense though.

I think what hurt was establishing the Run more. ACTUALLY not going away from it & know your controlling the game.

The RAMS were DOMINATING!!! That fumble at 6-0 was BAD !!

Why that wasn’t a RUN is BEYOND ME !!! They were giving Kyren Williams 4 to 5 yards at times.

Jacobarch

Legend
Name
Jake
I think it's a weakness in his OC game/system, relatively speaking, but bad ? I don't think he's ever been lower third, NFL-wide, irrc. The rankings can be deceiving for stats with such small numbers as RZ ATTs/TDs, too, right ? Convert a couple more or less & you go up and down faster than a good girl's hand on prom night.

If LAR wasn't getting into the RZ as often, I'd be a lot more worried. LAR has been top 12 in RZ attempts every year of McVay's era except for '22 (28th) & '20 (15th). Top five in four of those seven seasons. Currently sitting at #2, right ?

Just odd & frustrating that someone has OC-ed five top-10 scoring offenses in seven years despite being relatively pedestrian there.

Btw, GB is just as bad as LAR at letting offenses into the RZ; 3.8 per game, and allowing TDs; 60%. Fudge dem Packers, Coach. You got this.

Hey if we win on Sunday all of these post will be forgotten about haha. So there's that.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
This is a rinse and repeat from last season. After the losses last year people were all up in arms "McVay shouldn't call plays" "LaFleur should take playcalling duties" "McVay has lost it!!" etc etc etc. And then we made the playoffs. Every year some people have no faith in the man and yet he usually finds a way. Let the man cook.

It’s called OVER COOKING!!!

Maybe he learns what to do ?? I just think he BLEW this SEASON!!!

The RAMS have an AMAZING SQUAD imo. — Then again will see what happens.

The thing that gets me so UPSET is how well THE DEFENSE was playing !!

The RED ZONE issue & The RAMS losing still has LION STINK on IT!!
If Green Bay beats The Rams at HOME then there is a real problem.

This game I can’t erase & at least the niner flag came down & my mind is on chill mode.It is what it is & I like The way The Players are playing.They are playing hard for Mcvay & the Coaching staff!

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
The Tutu catch at 3:00 of first have was what I’m talking about.If your not going to run it the play action.

Jordan Whittington needs to block better,but he is solid.

Then a poor call.Run it !! Jordan for 6.3rd down.Rivers runs for a first.There you go.

1-20 That marker seems to be a struggle ? Rivers runs again for 5.It was there all game.

2-5 a poor TE screen again.Puts Tutu Atwell in a BAD spot.2 Timeouts as well. 2-15 POOR CALL !! 5 yards were there ALL GAME.

Now you have to pass. Tutu saves a Pick 6.

BTW - Evan’s spun the lacies.He did put it a little left,but did get 9o’clock with the lacies,but not facing the kicker.He should have got the around more though.

Last edited: