Red Zone Issues

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

DzRams

Rookie
Name
Desmal M
I just knew that McVay would utilize Allen or Parkinson far more in the redzone. How could he not see the size advantage???

Also 11 personnel is great in between the 20s. But in the redzone, stop being so cute all the time and get more physical. Use more 12 or 13 personnel sometimes. If they did, then the play action concepts would be even more effective.

Has McVay surrounded himself with a bunch a yes men? Somebody in the building has got to be able to see the redzone flaws.
So you're not buying that both Stafford and McVay think it's more of an execution issue? If they're right, it doesn't matter what play is called. The players have to execute it.

Memphis Ram

Legend
So you're not buying that both Stafford and McVay think it's more of an execution issue? If they're right, it doesn't matter what play is called. The players have to execute it.
No I don't. If it's only execution, that seems to suggest that whatever play called should work if executed properly as if defenses don't have a say in the success or failure of a play.

Things don't have to be so perfect with physicality.

Last edited:

Tumak61

Pro Bowler
Name
Tumak61
Some plays seem beneath McVay for whatever reason. I never see them run that fake to the RB then he sprints to the flat for an easy catch and TD. Steelers even used that play to seal the win against us a few seasons ago. McVay seems to want to screen, run, or throw to the corner of the end zone. He will call an angle route to the RB once in awhile too. He'll bring a receiver in motion to create trips then use the other receivers as natural picks to free up the motion guy in the flat. Just like to see more from McVay, especially different personnel groupings including some extra O linemen.

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
IMO teams are showing something that makes Stafford audible to a pass in the RZ. He needs to just stick with the run and let KW eat. But what do I know I'm just another frustrated Rams fan.

RamsOfCastamere

I drink things, and know nothing
Kyren Williams has scored a TD in 7 consecutive games, so he’s eating when there’s the chance. McVay needs to figure out how to get the pass game going so we’re not one dimensional in the red zone. I would like to see some PA boots or something.

Also, I think our redzone improvising plays are lackluster. That’s how a lot of passing TDs happen nowadays. Stafford’s inability to scramble limits him in these situations as well.

Toothsayer

UDFA
Name
Richard H Stee
I agree that he is a terrible commentator. But unfortunately he's not going anywhere anytime soon.
I don't see eye to eye with you on CP as I watched his lack of effort on a handful of plays. He either plays with bad technique or he wiffs on plays, mainly blocking. Not saying he's a bad TE by any means, I'm saying he can do better. The sack on Stafford, the INT, the miss block on the Williams running play for a possible 1st down. He was schemed against, and bravo to Chicago for game planning against him. The gist of what I'm saying is he needs to do better on his blocking, and McVay needs to put him in better situations to succeed.
On the INT where he went out of bounds. As I pointed out before, the CB dominated him physically and drove him out of bounds legally I might add, and instead of working his way back in to the field he clearly gave up on the route and Stafford threw the ball. It was a bang bang play and obviously they were on two different pages. I agree it wasn't the best decision by Stafford however, the TE needs to make a play on the ball and not give up on that route, even if the CB wins the battle for the ball the TE would at least be there to play defender knocking the pass down or away.

The RZ issues are most likely due to not having our Oline intact, our starting TE, and top two WR's. Those are big pieces to the puzzle. Last year we were top 5 in RZ efficiency, so your statement doesn't really hold water. Big difference being we were healthy last year, this year not so much.
The bar is set appallingly low for commentators these days. I don't think it's too much to ask for a little objectivity & show respect for the game & those who play it, though.

Not going to bother with the I saw/you saw of individual plays. BS like that just irritates all involved & can never be settled definitively. That said, I'll stand behind Parkinson's numbers & my assessment of the role he's been forced into. I think your subjective & small-sample observations, imo, fall more into the "he's dancing behind the line" type thing we used to hear about Steven Jackson in the dark days; misinterpretation distorted by frustration. Of course he can be better, but to suggest he's a root cause of any issue seems rash & meagrely-supported over a small number of games in extraordinary circumstances.

Teamrankings has LAR at #8 in RZ efficiency for 2023 @ 60.34 %. But then they include the playoffs which I guess aren't as important to you as making your argument hold water. No doubt the injuries are a part of the problem this year, but it wasn't the case vs DET last Jan, was it ?

2023 was by far the highest ranking, btw, of the McStafford era; 14th & 16th in '22 & '21 respectively, for egs.

Weirdly, the best RZ TD/ATT of the McVay era overall was in '19 per teamrankings; McGoff went 38/59 for 5th best over 16 games & obviously no playoffs. JG16 went 23/37 62% comp rate 0 picks 15 tds from 10 yds or closer.

Drill deeper & your argument gets even drippier; Stafford was 23 of 45, 51% completion rate in the tight red area (10 yds out) in '23 per PFR. 15 tds & no picks is good, too, but it's not the overwhelming edge you'd expect from the better overall QB with vastly more experience.

McVay 's RZ chops were doubted when he arrived from WASH, no ? It's hardly a new gripe. The Shanahan passing system needs vertical grass to work best. Probably why SF has always emphasized the run/RBs and TEs, unlike McVay.

Ram Ts

Hall of Fame
Hmm, I didn’t realize the Rams were tied for most times in the Red Zone this year. That’s an interesting stat - I would not have guessed that at all.

gogoat1

Pro Bowler
Name
Troy
Fades are a running up the score play.
NOT when you need the points. Too many things have to go your way. I would rather run it up the gut than call a fucking fade, they SUCK.
Direct line of sight throws to the front of the end zone or two yards out and let him fall over. Bring back the back shoulder pass and a simple slant.
I hate fades. They are a low percentage play and do not care if the coach calls it a "execution" problem. Its a cop out, you can say that about any play.
Go with the play that gives you the best chance of success, and it ain't a fucking fade.