Rank the Draft

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

How well do you think the Rams Drafted

• A-They nailed it. Team needs were met across the board

Votes: 6 7.3%
  • B- They got the guys they wanted. The team is better

Votes: 23 28.0%
  • C-They missed on some picks and got a few gems

Votes: 34 41.5%
  • D-They got their guy but completely ignored O-line needs

Votes: 11 13.4%
  • F-Total disaster. Even CGI would have got 1 pick right

Votes: 8 9.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2022 TOP Member
So first round picks bust rate. Not sure this makes them busts but the benefit of picking somebody is the cost controlled fifth year option. Over 28% of this years first round picks weren’t good enough to get tis fifth year.. The percentage goes up each round.

View: https://twitter.com/MySportsUpdate/status/1389319094013513728

Last edited:

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
So first round picks bust rate. Not sure this makes them busts but the benefit of picking somebody is the cost controlled fifth year option. Over 28% of this years first round picks weren’t good enough to get tis fifth year.. The percentage goes up each round.

View: https://twitter.com/MySportsUpdate/status/1389319094013513728

Looks like it was 12 players the year before, about 37%.

Mister Sin

Your friendly neighborhood fat guy!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
If he was only available due to his size then you are basically saying 31 NFL GMs would not have picked TuTu so high. This would validate the opinions of fans who are against the pick Bacause 31 Gms agree.
OR....31 GMs were scared to pull the trigger. 31 GMs don't have a great 1-2 at WR.

31 GMs also passed on a shit ton of players.

iamme33

Pro Bowler
Name
dan
well to me there is no option on the pole for me to vote on because i think they really missed on the 1st two picks this gines them a d- but the rest of the draft was ok and gives them c grade

RAMBUSH

Starter
i really really like Atwell, he will open up the underneath routes for Cupp & Woods, they will feast
train
Yea , i agree. Like having t. Austin and a coach smart enough to use him. As a deep threat , a jet sweep, dink n dunk or just a decoy could be fun to watch.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
A.

Don't care about not picking OL. The same people flabbergasted by not drafting an offensive lineman would be flabbergasted when they rode the bench all season. Is the OL a concern for 2021? Sure. The Chiefs just completely turned their offensive line over in one off-season. Between FA, re-signing Corbett/Noteboom and/or the draft next year, we will be fine.

That out of the way, our picks from the third round on were amazing IMO. Got an ILB with off the chart intangibles who is a tackling machine, got reinforcements on the DL who will rotate in this year and likely replace SJD/Robinson next year. Got a CB who seems to have a lot of potential, and some developmental skill guys who can be special teams contributors.

Atwell is like icing on top of icing. He can be a bust and IMO we will still look back at this draft as one of McSneads best.

The only question about Atwell is his size - and I'm not going to pretend it's not a concern, obviously it is. But I'm totally fine drafting rare speed, and he matches that with production.

Imagine going 5 wide next year - holy shit.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
People are acting like the entire O-line will be free agents next year. The only free agents are Allen (who is 50/50 to make the team), Corbett (who they should re-sign), and Noteboom (if he is a back-up all year should be reasonably priced. Drafting for the future O-line is not a huge need this year.

Upgrading the O-line is a different story. Most everyone's complaints were about Blythe. They did not re-sign him. Now teams only carry 9-10 OL in the 53 man roster. Who should we kick out to upgrade. The team made the decision not to start a rookie center. I was in favor of drafting Humphreys all along, but they did not want to start a rookie so #57 for a guy that would not play next year.

Whitworth, Noteboom
Edwards, Brewer
Corbett, Allen/Shelton
Evans, Anchrum
Havenstein, Jackson (UDFA developmental 4th tackle who will not play because of positional flexibility of the rest of the OL)

We don't need arguments about replacing Demby. He will not make this team. What OL would be worth the added comfort of having a back-up center better than Allen/Shelton (remembering that those guys know the system and team) or another 4th tackle. The Rams decisionmakers feel that the 7-8 that suit up on Sunday are pretty good. They know more about Anchrum and Brewer and their development than we do.

The late picks are all about Special Teams. People keep posting that they could have gotten this guy or that guy if they wanted another RB or WR. Yeah those picks would be better RB/WR. These guys are not going to play those positions any time in the near future. We have good players at those positions. The Rams drafted this group completely to upgrade a Special Teams unit that was terrible. We got the new coach and now he needs guys who will do the nameless dirty work that makes those teams so much better. These guys are supposed to be really good at that. I love that they are attacking this area with guys who have the mentality and desire to kill it on Special Teams. If one pops and develops into more than that it is a bonus. The Rams also drafted potential returners. Atwell did not return much in college because he was one of their best players. Here he is WR #5. He will have a role on offense but it will be limited. He is insurance in case D. Jackson gets hurt. He is not lining up and catching 100 balls with all of those hits. He can build a role as a punt returner and a potential weapon (depth) on an offense that severely needed speed. He can hold up and hopefully he will be a deadly return man. They also signed an UDFA, Haydel who can really return kicks. That is not a huge part of the game anymore but he can compete for returner duties. This is an all out attack on a huge weakness from last years team, the Special Teams Unit. I love the attention. Listen to McVay. He is always talking about all three phases.
If Olinemen require 1-2 years to develop, at least from round 3 up, then picking one or two in this draft would mean they should be ready by 2023. By then they could have more holes to fill. I guess they will break rank and pay the interior Olineman a competitive wage despite that not being a trend that they’ve followed so far.

AZRams

What, we're all thinking it...
Yea , i agree. Like having t. Austin and a coach smart enough to use him. As a deep threat , a jet sweep, dink n dunk or just a decoy could be fun to watch.
The more I've thought (and no, not that much really) about Austin, the more I realized he was never much of an actual receiver. He was a speed demon that could, occasionally, catch the ball. He was never a good route-runner and didn't show great hands when he would get a target down-field.

Tape seems to indicate that Atwell can actually be a receiver: run routes, make catches and hold on to the ball. He just didn't drop the ball hardly ever in college.

And Chad Johnson's endorsement is encouraging.

AZRams

What, we're all thinking it...
Personally, I would have liked them to take Creed Humphrey at #57; and was hoping for Drew Dalman at #117 but he was selected three picks earlier at #114.

Several OL went higher than many expected. I would have been intrigued by either Landon Dickerson or Walker Little in the third round for the Rams but both went-off-the-board before the Rams picked in the second round.

Which OL, at which spots, would you have liked them to draft?
Snead alluded to some of those points in the draft where players of interest were taken in front of them. Didn't go in to detail who and where but conceivably could have included an OL or two.

Or, if you believe McVay they weren't concerned enough about the OL to spend the capital though they've been willing to sign UDFA's on the line.

Beyond confusing.

Neil039

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I hear the frustration regarding the lack of o-line picks (I agree). Teams win in the trenches. The D-line and supporting cast look solid AGAIN. Most of us voicing our concerns just want the newly acquired QB, RBs and WRs to have time for some great plays. There is room for improvemen.

Personally, I’ll be through the roof if they get a couple of solid FA signings still.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
If he was only available due to his size then you are basically saying 31 NFL GMs would not have picked TuTu so high. This would validate the opinions of fans who are against the pick Bacause 31 Gms agree.

Then again, he may have been the next guy taken if we had passed. We will never know.

We do actually know that one of the centers much of this forum was banging the table for at 57 lasted an entire round later and was still there for the taking in the 3rd. So there we actually know what the other 31 GMs were thinking. On Tutu, we don’t.

rams1fan

Pro Bowler
Then again, he may have been the next guy taken if we had passed. We will never know.

We do actually know that one of the centers much of this forum was banging the table for at 57 lasted an entire round later and was still there for the taking in the 3rd. So there we actually know what the other 31 GMs were thinking. On Tutu, we don’t.
What i say we absolutely do not know is if he was teo inches taller and 20 lbs heavier that he would be gone before the 57th. There is no evidence to bak that statement. Its merely and opinion stated as fact.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
I dunno. Maybe I'm getting cranky in my old age. But I get annoyed when people are so sure their board is better than their team's board. It takes years to know if a draft is a good one or not. And by then, no one's gonna remember who was right and who was wrong. I woulda like to see a center drafted. But I'm not so arrogant to think I know more than the team who spent months evaluating these players and building a board specific to their needs. It ain't gonna cause me to lose sleep over it. All I'm gonna do is hope it works out.

Tano

Legend
I dunno. Maybe I'm getting cranky in my old age. But I get annoyed when people are so sure their board is better than their team's board. It takes years to know if a draft is a good one or not. And by then, no one's gonna remember who was right and who was wrong. I woulda like to see a center drafted. But I'm not so arrogant to think I know more than the team who spent months evaluating these players and building a board specific to their needs. It ain't gonna cause me to lose sleep over it. All I'm gonna do is hope it works out.
I am only annoyed with them not picking a center.

Their center position has been terrible the last two years and they could have gotten good centers in each of the last few year's drafts.

Neil039

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I am only annoyed with them not picking a center.

Their center position has been terrible the last two years and they could have gotten good centers in each of the last few year's drafts.
That’s the rub for most fans, or at least here at ROD.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
The cupboard was anything but bare so I figure some will be good, some will be taking a stab at what they could get when they were up.

We've had some guys on ROD really nail the draft but also really swing and miss on guys they thought would be great.

The odds are against EVERY team on hitting on all their draft picks. We only need to be better than most. I think we have been of late.

Neil039

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The odds are against EVERY team on hitting on all their draft picks. We only need to be better than most. I think we have been of late.
IMO anything at or better than 40% is good. Sure hope that’s the case this year.

FarNorth

Hall of Fame
Damnit @OldSchool I hadn't even thought about Jamal Adams....fml. lol. Hopefully he's fast enough to get the hell away.
Jamal Adams is the one who should be worried. No way he can keep up with Tutu. He has enough trouble in coverage against ordinary speed receivers.

Last edited:

Neil039

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think we have a clear picture of how the board feels. Hopefully all us none A votes eat crow after the 2021 season.

127D511E-F530-49B7-8E1A-EF8A0728B9DA.jpeg

fanotodd

Diehard
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Fanotodd
For me this is more about grading how they filled perceived needs than grading the picks.

In that regard, it does look like they acquired 2-3 guys who will most certainly play STs. I know it doesn’t sound exciting but let’s face it, our STs were the most consistently bad unit all year.

If the Rams STs return to form, coupled with a top defense, the offense won’t be in a position to force or do much. To me that opens up the offense just as much as a speedy WR.
...but I certainly would have gone another route with our first pick.