Rank the Draft

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

How well do you think the Rams Drafted

• A-They nailed it. Team needs were met across the board

Votes: 6 7.3%
  • B- They got the guys they wanted. The team is better

Votes: 23 28.0%
  • C-They missed on some picks and got a few gems

Votes: 34 41.5%
  • D-They got their guy but completely ignored O-line needs

Votes: 11 13.4%
  • F-Total disaster. Even CGI would have got 1 pick right

Votes: 8 9.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Tano

Legend
As much as any of us think we know. They know more. Sometimes they miss, sometimes they hit. But don't kiss yourself into thinking you know better.

They chose the guys they chose for reasons we don't know about.

We are fans. That means we follow no matter what. We don't have to like it. But every year I watch people here that I believe honest to God think that they know better than the guys getting paid millions to do the job. We have some very smart posters. We have guys that know far more than I do about the college athletes. BUT, we have NO ONE that has any damn clue what McVay is looking for.

Will he hit every pick? History tells me no. But I guarantee we got more than one guy we will be excited about come the end of the season.

Have faith. Have hope. And cheer for these new Rams. For they are who you got. They represent what you love.

In McVay I trust!

Also, I can't wait for Lil Tutu to prove the haters wrong...small but mighty.
I am not a hater on Tutu - I am just scared to death we are going to see a dead man if he gets hit hard at his college playing weight of 153 (even 160 which he is currently at).

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
While some of the picks are intriguing, I'm really disappointed that the ignored the OL, even if they wouldn't have got and first-year starters. We have a lot of potential FA's coming up, and Whitworth, while he's defied Father Time so far, in the end we know who's going to win that battle. This would have been a good draft to prepare for the future at that position, and they didn't.
Personally, I would have liked them to take Creed Humphrey at #57; and was hoping for Drew Dalman at #117 but he was selected three picks earlier at #114.

Several OL went higher than many expected. I would have been intrigued by either Landon Dickerson or Walker Little in the third round for the Rams but both went-off-the-board before the Rams picked in the second round.

Which OL, at which spots, would you have liked them to draft?

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
Personally, I would have liked them to take Creed Humphrey at #57; and was hoping for Drew Dalman at #117 but he was selected three picks earlier at #114.

Several OL went higher than many expected. I would have been intrigued by either Landon Dickerson or Walker Little in the third round for the Rams but both went-off-the-board before the Rams picked in the second round.

Which OL, at which spots, would you have liked them to draft?

Humphrey at 57, and would have liked to see them make a play for Meinerz. I liked Dalman too and would have wanted them to take him were he still on the board at 117. Wouldn't have objected to them taking him at 103.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
As much as any of us think we know. They know more. Sometimes they miss, sometimes they hit. But don't kiss yourself into thinking you know better.

They chose the guys they chose for reasons we don't know about.

We are fans. That means we follow no matter what. We don't have to like it. But every year I watch people here that I believe honest to God think that they know better than the guys getting paid millions to do the job. We have some very smart posters. We have guys that know far more than I do about the college athletes. BUT, we have NO ONE that has any damn clue what McVay is looking for.

Will he hit every pick? History tells me no. But I guarantee we got more than one guy we will be excited about come the end of the season.

Have faith. Have hope. And cheer for these new Rams. For they are who you got. They represent what you love.

In McVay I trust!

Also, I can't wait for Lil Tutu to prove the haters wrong...small but mighty.
I bless this message. Even if you use tongue in kissing "...yourself into thinking you know better," trust the process. ~ Bishop Tutu

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2022 TOP Member
That's how I'm trying to look at it. We all think the Oline needed help. But I guess they didn't idk. I was upset at the Tutu pick. But, if he was 25 lbs heavier and 2 inches taller, he would have not been there for us. So, I'm just stepping back and gonna see what happens.
I just read a stat on the Athletic in the last 20 years only three players have caught a pass in the NFL weighing 160 lbs or less. JoJo Natson, Brandon Banks and JJ Nelson.

Mister Sin

Your friendly neighborhood fat guy!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
I am not a hater on Tutu - I am just scared to death we are going to see a dead man if he gets hit hard at his college playing weight of 153 (even 160 which he is currently at).
I am nervous too. Hopefully we don't put him those positions. I was thinking about KJ Wright lighting his ass up. I saw someone make a comment about him getting down like holt or Bruce did. I think that needs to be his game. He's gonna gain 15 lbs I think.

Mister Sin

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
I just read a stat on the Athletic in the last 20 years only three players have caught a pass in the NFL weighing 160 lbs or less. JoJo Natson, Brandon Banks and JJ Nelson.
It's scary for sure. But. He's played at this weight a long time now. He played against damn good college teams with NFL talent. So, we will see...color me nervous.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2022 TOP Member
It's scary for sure. But. He's played at this weight a long time now. He played against damn good college teams with NFL talent. So, we will see...color me nervous.
Like all these guys they were playing against good college guys. He didn’t have Jamal Adams or Buddha Baker hitting them. There’s a huge difference and we’re all hoping for the best.

Mister Sin

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
This is what I saw on Garrett. Those are impressive ass numbers for 28 games. D2 or not.
Screenshot_20210503-113720_Instagram.jpg

Mister Sin

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Like all these guys they were playing against good college guys. He didn’t have Jamal Adams or Buddha Baker hitting them. There’s a huge difference and we’re all hoping for the best.
Damnit @OldSchool I hadn't even thought about Jamal Adams....fml. lol. Hopefully he's fast enough to get the hell away.

Rams 1973

UDFA
Name
Chris
People are acting like the entire O-line will be free agents next year. The only free agents are Allen (who is 50/50 to make the team), Corbett (who they should re-sign), and Noteboom (if he is a back-up all year should be reasonably priced. Drafting for the future O-line is not a huge need this year.

Upgrading the O-line is a different story. Most everyone's complaints were about Blythe. They did not re-sign him. Now teams only carry 9-10 OL in the 53 man roster. Who should we kick out to upgrade. The team made the decision not to start a rookie center. I was in favor of drafting Humphreys all along, but they did not want to start a rookie so #57 for a guy that would not play next year.

Whitworth, Noteboom
Edwards, Brewer
Corbett, Allen/Shelton
Evans, Anchrum
Havenstein, Jackson (UDFA developmental 4th tackle who will not play because of positional flexibility of the rest of the OL)

We don't need arguments about replacing Demby. He will not make this team. What OL would be worth the added comfort of having a back-up center better than Allen/Shelton (remembering that those guys know the system and team) or another 4th tackle. The Rams decisionmakers feel that the 7-8 that suit up on Sunday are pretty good. They know more about Anchrum and Brewer and their development than we do.

The late picks are all about Special Teams. People keep posting that they could have gotten this guy or that guy if they wanted another RB or WR. Yeah those picks would be better RB/WR. These guys are not going to play those positions any time in the near future. We have good players at those positions. The Rams drafted this group completely to upgrade a Special Teams unit that was terrible. We got the new coach and now he needs guys who will do the nameless dirty work that makes those teams so much better. These guys are supposed to be really good at that. I love that they are attacking this area with guys who have the mentality and desire to kill it on Special Teams. If one pops and develops into more than that it is a bonus. The Rams also drafted potential returners. Atwell did not return much in college because he was one of their best players. Here he is WR #5. He will have a role on offense but it will be limited. He is insurance in case D. Jackson gets hurt. He is not lining up and catching 100 balls with all of those hits. He can build a role as a punt returner and a potential weapon (depth) on an offense that severely needed speed. He can hold up and hopefully he will be a deadly return man. They also signed an UDFA, Haydel who can really return kicks. That is not a huge part of the game anymore but he can compete for returner duties. This is an all out attack on a huge weakness from last years team, the Special Teams Unit. I love the attention. Listen to McVay. He is always talking about all three phases.

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Survivor Champion
I gave it a C, would have been minus had that been an option. All we needed to do was nail our first pick and I could/would have gone higher. I just cannot see drafting a pure gadget player when full time starting contributors were sitting on the board. There is absolutely no chance Atwell is a starting full time WR for us, and that severely caps his ceiling IMO. Did we have a lot of holes to fill? Perhaps not, but improving a position by selecting a cheap (contract) rookie is the way you improve you team. Particularly a team like us who has cap issues. Honestly, when looking at other teams draft results, I feel we had one of, if not the, worst draft class in the league (BTW, Brugler had us ranged 31 of 32nd, 2nd worst class to Texans). Sure, we didn't have has as much draft capital as most to start, but, most teams did draft what are perceived to me potential starters to improve their team.

I hope and I pray that Tutu is the next DJax and can put on like 10 lbs, but, as OldSchool eluded to above, those 3 other small guys are not good or productive at all. So we gambled on a extreme outlier with our most valuable pick. I'm sorry, I cannot get behind that kind of thinking when we are this close to SB contenders. Rest of the draft was ok, not what I'd consider fantastic, but did love a few of the guys we drafted.

Tano

Legend
People are acting like the entire O-line will be free agents next year. The only free agents are Allen (who is 50/50 to make the team), Corbett (who they should re-sign), and Noteboom (if he is a back-up all year should be reasonably priced. Drafting for the future O-line is not a huge need this year.

Upgrading the O-line is a different story. Most everyone's complaints were about Blythe. They did not re-sign him. Now teams only carry 9-10 OL in the 53 man roster. Who should we kick out to upgrade. The team made the decision not to start a rookie center. I was in favor of drafting Humphreys all along, but they did not want to start a rookie so #57 for a guy that would not play next year.

Whitworth, Noteboom
Edwards, Brewer
Corbett, Allen/Shelton
Evans, Anchrum
Havenstein, Jackson (UDFA developmental 4th tackle who will not play because of positional flexibility of the rest of the OL)

We don't need arguments about replacing Demby. He will not make this team. What OL would be worth the added comfort of having a back-up center better than Allen/Shelton (remembering that those guys know the system and team) or another 4th tackle. The Rams decisionmakers feel that the 7-8 that suit up on Sunday are pretty good. They know more about Anchrum and Brewer and their development than we do.

The late picks are all about Special Teams. People keep posting that they could have gotten this guy or that guy if they wanted another RB or WR. Yeah those picks would be better RB/WR. These guys are not going to play those positions any time in the near future. We have good players at those positions. The Rams drafted this group completely to upgrade a Special Teams unit that was terrible. We got the new coach and now he needs guys who will do the nameless dirty work that makes those teams so much better. These guys are supposed to be really good at that. I love that they are attacking this area with guys who have the mentality and desire to kill it on Special Teams. If one pops and develops into more than that it is a bonus. The Rams also drafted potential returners. Atwell did not return much in college because he was one of their best players. Here he is WR #5. He will have a role on offense but it will be limited. He is insurance in case D. Jackson gets hurt. He is not lining up and catching 100 balls with all of those hits. He can build a role as a punt returner and a potential weapon (depth) on an offense that severely needed speed. He can hold up and hopefully he will be a deadly return man. They also signed an UDFA, Haydel who can really return kicks. That is not a huge part of the game anymore but he can compete for returner duties. This is an all out attack on a huge weakness from last years team, the Special Teams Unit. I love the attention. Listen to McVay. He is always talking about all three phases.
I agree with everything you say except for center.

I would have drafted a center and have him back-up Corbett and gotten rid of Allen who I believe is worthless.

I hope to heck I am wrong about Allen.

WestCoastRam

Legend
I could totally see a situation where none of our 1st few picks offer more than depth their entire career... but how successful is the draft if immediately the punt and kickoff teams return to elite status?

Rams 1973

UDFA
Name
Chris
I agree with everything you say except for center.

I would have drafted a center and have him back-up Corbett and gotten rid of Allen who I believe is worthless.

I hope to heck I am wrong about Allen.
I don't think Allen is very good either. I personally think Shelton will be the back-up center. Just not sure Allen ever recovered from the knee injury. The new O-line coach also throws a monkey wrench into the whole equation. Just not sure how our guys will respond to something different.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Garrett had like 35 sacks in 28 games. Yea it was D2. But those are the number you would expect from a D2 guy to make the NFL. I got my eye on him. He may be a sleeper for us I think.

D2 against lesser competition is not just what I care about. Garrett's 6'2", 230 lbs. I don't think his skills translate into the NFL. Could he be a sleeper? Sure, but I'm not going to count on it with a late seventh round pick. Alaric Jackson and Paris Ford, by comparison, have a better shot at making the roster.

Rams 1973

UDFA
Name
Chris
I could totally see a situation where none of our 1st few picks offer more than depth their entire career... but how successful is the draft if immediately the punt and kickoff teams return to elite status?
I think the Jones pick will be a starter at some point for sure. They needed a MLB that is a leader and a guy who can tackle. Don't always need to be super athlete to be really good. By playing a 3-4 you don't need a guy who can run like a WR. You need a guy who can diagnose a play and be there to plug it up. He is not Ogletree, not the athlete, and hopefully not the type of LB who is always out of position.

Rams 1973

UDFA
Name
Chris
D2 against lesser competition is not just what I care about. Garrett's 6'2", 230 lbs. I don't think his skills translate into the NFL. Could he be a sleeper? Sure, but I'm not going to count on it with a late seventh round pick. Alaric Jackson and Paris Ford, by comparison, have a better shot at making the roster.
I think he is closer to 250

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
I think he is closer to 250

Huh. 6'4", 245 lbs. He's listed at defensive end, though, so he's still extremely undersized. Maybe this could be like Eugene Sims, but Sims had the length and frame to pack on weight; I'm not sure if Garrett can.